Discuss Scratch

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Questions About Scratch Directory (Please Don't Ask Questions Here!)

Please don't ask your questions here, you will get more answers if you make your own topic for it. You may, however, suggest questions and topics to be added to the lists. Also, abide by the community guidelines; spam of any kind is not allowed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Directory
Intro
About
History

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Section 1: Temporary Questions
Section 2: The Forums
Section 3: The Project Editor
Section 4: Moderating Scratch
Section 5: “Myths” and History of Scratch
Section 6: The Main Website

The Questions about Scratch Question Dictionary
Section 1: Projects
Section 2: The Main Website
Section 3: Scratch Accounts
Section 4: The Community Guidelines and Other Rules
Section 5: The Forums
Section 6: The Wiki
Section 7: What Does _____ Mean?
Section 8: Is _____ Allowed?

Extra
Credits
Other Helpful Links

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

About
Welcome to the Questions About Scratch Directory! This topic is split into two main sections. The Frequently Asked Questions and Answers section, and the QAS Dictionary section. The FAQ section is a list full of common questions, as well as the answers to those questions. The QAS Dictionary section has another list that links to many topics, and one of the posts in one of those topics may have an answer to a question you have!

In order to search for topics and questions in these lists, press CONTROL + F or COMMAND + F (depending on your OS).

History
FAQ Topic #1 - by @asqwde
FAQ Topic #2 - by @ThatOneWeirdDude

Dictionary Topic #1 - by @yzyzyz
Dictionary Topic #2 - by @MaximunPokeMaster
Dictionary Topic #3 - by @PrincessFlowerTV

Questions About Scratch Directory #1 - by @xXRedTheCoderXx

This section is for frequently asked question and answers, so you can save yourself the trouble of making a post about your question when you could just look here.

Section 1: Temporary Questions
This section is for questions that are relevant right now but may become significantly less relevant in the future. As a result, these questions are temporary and will come and go.

Q: Can I use audio I got from YT to MP3 in my Scratch projects?
A: No. Using audio you got from YT to MP3 is illegal and is against YouTube's terms of use, even if you give credit.

YouTube Terms of Use wrote:

The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as expressly authorized by the Service; or (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders;
If you would like music for your project, I recommend https://www.bensound.com/. For sound effects, I recommend http://soundbible.com/. Keep in mind you must still give proper credit when using audio from these sources.

Section 2: The Forums
The following are question and answers related to the Scratch forums - where you are right now!

Q: Can you reopen my forum topic?
A: If you accidentally closed a topic, report the first post of the topic asking for it to be reopened. If a scratch team member closed it, it's probably for a good reason.

Q: How do I edit my post?
A: If you are a New Scratcher, you have until you leave the page to edit your post. You can do so by clicking the edit button next to the report and quote buttons. If you're a scratcher, the button is there permanently for all posts you make on any topic (as long as the topic isn’t closed).

Q: How do I close a topic?
A: You can do so by waiting 24 hours and then clicking the grey button that says “Close Topic” at the bottom. If you want to close it sooner, report the first post of the topic asking for it to be closed.

Q: How do I make a topic?
A: Go to the forum that is relevant to your topic, then at the top should be a blue button saying “New Topic”. Click that and now you can make your topic.

Q: What is necroposting?
A: Necroposting is when a user comments on an old, sometimes resolved, topic without adding to the conversation.

Q: How do I edit my signature?
A: Go to:
scratch.mit.edu/discuss/settings/YOUR USERNAME HERE/
Or click the link at the bottom of the discussion home page.

Q: What is bumping a topic?
A: Bumping a topic is when a user posts on their topic normally because of their question not being met or just because the topic is inactive. The rule to bumping, however, is, “A user may bump any topic they want, even if it's not theirs. Though it must not be resolved, old, or replaced. The topic may also only be bumped once every 24 hours or when it reaches page 2, where most topics are overlooked.”

Q: What is block spamming?
A: Blockspamming is when users use the scratch blocks plugin to create long, unneeded, and completely off-topic scripts. However, using the block plugin to display an on-topic message is NOT spam, according to this post. (Thanks to @Col_Cat228 for the explanation)

Q: How do I suggest stuff for scratch?
A: First off, paste the following text in your search browser (preferably a Chrome browser):
 site:scratch.mit.edu/discuss
Now put a space in between and put your suggestion. If no forum topic about your suggestion has been made, you may make a new topic in the suggestions forum, which is right under the QAS Forum on the home page. If it is taken, then you may constructively contribute to the conversation.

Q: What is the 120/60-second rule?
A: This is a phrase referring to how New Scratchers have to wait 120 seconds between posts on the forums, and how Scratchers only have to wait for 60. This rule as put in place in order to prevent spam.

Q: What's a sticky?
A: A sticky is a topic containing useful information that new forumers may find helpful. These topics are pinned to the top of the first page as its the first thing Scratchers will see.

Q: Why don't the Scratch Team implement highly supported suggestions?
A: The Scratch Team are a small group of people, and there's a lot of work that goes into planning, designing, and developing new features into Scratch. Sometimes they simply don't have the resources to do so (time, money, developers, etc.), or they find that the cons outweigh the benefits of a suggestion. A lot of supports doesn't mean a suggestion will be implemented. And, many suggestions have already been implemented by the Scratch Team, such as Scratch on mobile devices, so they do listen to the community. But keep in mind the suggestion has to be possible, and beneficial for Scratch, and even then, it takes a lot of time for something to be added. Here is a short list of some suggestions that have been suggested on the forums that were implemented:

Section 3: The Project Editor
Here are some frequently asked questions about the project editor.

Q: Why isn't my project saving?
A: Probably because you have a large file in your project (Music files, images, etc..) If it's not that, report it in the bugs and glitches forum.

Q: Where can I get coding help?
A: You can make a topic here for coding help.

Q: Where do I go when I find a bug in Scratch?
A: Make a topic here to report bugs in Scratch (please make sure that the bug wasn't caused by your own coding and is actually a real bug).

Q: Where do I add extensions?
A: Click on the blue button at the bottom of the project editor. Then, click on the extension you ant to add.

Section 4: Moderating Scratch
Have any questions about the moderation of Scratch? Go here before you ask them.

Q: Can you unban _____?
A: For privacy reasons, only the owner of the account is given details on their ban, and the owner should take action if they are banned. If you are the owner of the account, you may use Contact Us to submit an appeal.

Q: Can you ban _____ for _____?
A: Please either report minor offenses with the report button beside each comment. If it is major (Impersonation, large amounts of harassment, etc.) use Contact Us.

Q: What do I do if somebody is copying my projects and isn’t changing anything about them?
A: First, start by reporting the users copied projects. If the user doesn't stop, you may email scratch here.

Q: False reporting and mass reporting?
A: The phrase “I was false reported!” is often used to cover up the fact you broke a rule. The ST checks everything about the account before filing a report, so please don't spam the forums because you broke a rule. Mass Reporting is a real thing, however, as the ST’s moderation system automatically takes down projects if there is a lot of reports in a short time, to prevent anything bad from being spread. If the mass reports are false, however, the users doing the mass reporting will be moderated in some way.

Q: Why do my numbers turn into x's when I post?
Scratch blocks long strings of numbers to prevent users from giving out phone numbers and other personal info.

Q: Why can’t I link to Google docs? (Or drive, or sites, or slides, etc.
A: Google Docs can be used to share information and create private chat rooms, which is strictly banned on Scratch.

Q: Why isn't the word “Discord” allowed?
A: Users could share Discord servers, which has private messaging, and private messaging is not safe for Scratch.

Q: What are the rules for sharing social media / livestreams?
A: Sharing YouTube videos is allowed as long as the content and comments are for all ages and don't share personal information. Those same rules must be followed when linking YouTube channels, as well. Due to containing unmoderated chat, links to live streams or channels with live streams are not allowed. The description and about me of the YouTube channel and YouTube video also must not link to anything that is not for all ages, contains private information, contains private messaging, or contains unmoderated chat. Links to sites or usernames from social media such as Reddit, Patreon, Discord, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitch, and Twitter are not allowed. If you have a question about what is allowed regarding social media, you can ask a question here in the forums or use Contact Us.

Q: How much blood is allowed in my project?
According to the wiki, the exact amount of blood is hard to tell, and it depends on how the blood is in your project. However, it's safer to not include any blood in your project, or your project might be marked NFE, or even taken down.

Section 5: “Myths” and History of Scratch
Need to catch up on some history about Scratch? Go here!

Q: Who founded Scratch?
A: Mitchel Resnick is believed to be the founder, or at least one of the founders, of scratch.

Q: How did Scratch get it's name?
A: Mitchel Resnick, the “founder of Scratch”, said himself that scratch referred to how when DJs mix the music, they scratch it. This is also referring to how users can remix projects.

Q: What is the Scratch Wiki?
A: The Scratch Wiki is a wiki made for Scratchers by Scratchers. It is a useful place that can teach you all you need to know about Scratch, and to this day is still being updated to maintain accuracy and preserve history.

Q: Why can't I use cloud variables?
A: You must be a Scratcher to use cloud data if it doesn't work then, report it here.

Q: How do I get a featured studio/project?
A: To get a featured studio, go to this forum topic and apply for a featured studio
To get a featured project, go to this studio and suggest a project to be picked, though you may not suggest your own project. Please note that not everyone that submits will get featured.

Q: Who is “kaj”?
A: Kaj was a scratcher who threatened to hack the website. Note the fact he threatened to hack, but whether he did or not is unconfirmed. Nowadays the name is generally used as a meme, such as “Follow this studio or else Kaj will hack your account”. But if you see anyone trying to spread false info about Kaj, or is falling for it, report the comments/studio/project(s). A more detailed description of the Kaj story can be found here.

Q: When will 4.0 come out?
A: 3.0 was released January, 2019. The Scratch Team is still trying to improve 3.0 and fix the bugs and glitches it has. As such, unless something major happens like Javascript goes obsolete (which is very unlikely), 4.0 will not be released anytime soon.

Q: Who is gdpr000001?
A: GDPR is a set of European laws that gives users the ability to wipe every bit of data about them on any website. What scratch does when a user wants to wipe their data is they set the username to GDPRXXXXXX, and resets the birth date and country of the user.

Q: How do accounts with no projects and no activity get tons of followers?
Most of those accounts are called namesnipes, where a user takes a common word used in a language, or a popular topic, and sets their username to that word/topic. These accounts are commonly never used. Users on Scratch like to follow these accounts to either;

• Make a sentence using their following tab.
• Trick their followers in the “What's Happening” section.
• Or they just follow them because simply they have a rare name.

Q: What is “#UnbanScratch” or “#FreeScratch”?
A: On August 14th, 2020, scratch.mit.edu and all related subdomains were banned in the country of China. Many believe it was due to a video showing how Scratch discredits China, spreads rumors, and lies. Users got together and started “#UnbanScratch,” and “#FreeScratch,” both of which made with the intent to spread awareness of this issue and hopefully have Scratch unbanned in China again. You can view more information about the trend here, the ban here, and the initial response from the public here.

Q: Who was the first user on Scratch?
A: The first user on Scratch is @andresmh.

Section 6: The Scratch Website
Read this section if you need some knowledge about the Scratch website.

Q: How do I become a Scratcher?
A: To get the Scratcher rank, your account must be at least 2 weeks old, have some shared projects, and be active in the community. Being active in the community means commenting on some people’s profiles, viewing some projects, or joining some studios. Please note that you won’t get the invitation to become a Scratcher as soon as you hit 2 weeks, it can take up to a month, if you meet the criteria of course.

Q: How do I join the Scratch Team?
You must be 18 or older as it is a paying job. The most common listing is Community Moderator, as you can work even if you don't live near the Scratch HQ. The other jobs, however, are HQ strictly. To apply, go here.

Q: How do I get views/popular?
A: Try putting your projects in “Add All Studios” or advertise your project here. Still keep in mind that Scratch is not about fame, it's about creativity.

Q: What are the rules on FNAF projects?
A: FNAF projects are all automatically marked NFE, to play it safe. You may not make any FNAF project that contains jumpscares, as even with warnings, a child may not know what they are getting into. You can make games featuring FNAF characters, as long as there are no jumpscares, but they will still be marked NFE to again, play it safe.

Q: Can I Change My Username?
A: Nope, unfortunately this is rejected.

Za-Chary wrote:

8.1 Changing usernames
If a user could change their username (or even set a certain “nickname”), this could be very confusing for the Scratch community, especially for those following that user. In addition, this would make moderation of the website more difficult because it would be harder for the Scratch Team to keep an eye on what a user may be doing. The Scratch Team has allowed username changes only on very rare occasions, such as if the username contained inappropriate content or personal information. Generally the Scratch Team does not change usernames on request (including for reasons such as “I do not like my current username anymore”).

However, because of the way that usernames are stored on the server, changing the cases of letters in your username (for example, changing @Za-Chary to @ZA-CHARY) is NOT rejected; you can discuss it on this topic.

Q: Why doesn't my project show in the search tab?
A: Either your project is new or has been marked NFE (Not For Everyone), doesn't have many views or was made very recently.

Q: What does NFE mean?
A: It means that the project had themes or relates to things that some Scratchers could feel uncomfortable by, but isn't bad enough to issue a project takedown. These projects do not show up in Search Results. (Relating to FNAF, Blood, Guns, and Violence are some things that can NFE a project)

Q: What is a front page curator and how do I apply?
A front page curator, or FPC, is a user who curates, or puts on the front page, 5 projects at a time for one week. They do this by favoriting projects. After the week, they cannot become a front page curator again. To become a front page curator, you must create a project informing why you would be a good FPC. You must also create a studio with types of project you'd curate, as well as explain projects you enjoy and would curate. Then, you link your project in the applications studio. A Scratch team member will view your application, but keep in mind very little get chosen to be the next FPC. You can view more information in the wiki article.

This section has a list of many topics posted by Scratchers like you. Before you post a question, you could search through this list and see if another Scratch has posted a similar question to yours.

Section 1: Projects
How do I share a project?

Misconceptions about the Project Size Limit

Can you convert a project to mp3?

What's Phosphorus?

Which loads faster: Blocks or Lists?

How Do You Make Aesthetics?

Why did they remove the scratch blocks help tool?

Why do people say to double click the flag?

What counts as a “music sharing” project?

How do I add music to my project?

Why is there so much lag when you turn on “run without screen refresh” and put a “forever” or “repeat until” block in the definition?

How do you make arrows in Scratchblocks?

How do you get Scratch Projects to YouTube with no lag?

How to get animated thumbnails?

Section 2: The Main Website
Why does Scratch still have the old design?

What does “Sorry you don't have permission to do that” mean?

How does Scratch make money?

Bad word detector

Can I move the position of my projects?

Why can't you delete comments in a studio?

How many loves is needed to get Top Loved?

When is Scratch Day?

Why is there a drop in the statistics every summer?

Why can't I delete a comment outside of my profile/projects?

How does the Scratch Team Feature a Project?

Can't find FPS meters

Will article 13 affect scratch?

Why are there these strange reporting options?

When will Scratch 4.0 be released?

Is “Rickrolling” allowed on Scratch?

What time of the day do studio activity messages come in?

How to get followers?

What is up with the :cool: emoji and “Be Moist”?

How do you suggest something to be featured?

Can multiple managers invite the same user?

Section 3: Scratch Accounts
How Long Does It Take To Become A Scratcher?

Is there a way to block Scratchers?

Is there a way to become scratcher instantly if you moved accounts?

Can you restore an already deleted account?

How do I become an ST member?

What do the forums look like for an ST member?

How do I comment?

(How) can I change my username?

Wait, the Scratch Team has changed a user's username before?!

Why are there so many people who have done nothing on Scratch?

Who is @gdpr0000001 and why are they unfollowable?

Who was the first person to join Scratch?

Since scratch 3.0 released, has the number of active users gone down or up?

Section 4: The Community Guidelines and Other Rules
Why or why not should F4F not be allowed?

What counts as advertising?

Random letters spam

Are Discord links allowed?

Why are most add everything studios NFE?

Should roleplaying be allowed?

Can blocked Scratchers' projects be on the Front Page?

Mutes and bans

Can I ban/kick certain people from my game?

Can I get my studio unmarked NFE?

How much alerts can you get until you are banned?

Should I report someone who decides to make offensive or stereotypical jokes or remarks towards certain individuals?

Should I report “users who hate _____” studios?

Commercial spamming

Re-sharing censored projects

If someone uses multiple accounts just to censor a project, what will happen?

Should I report projects advertising through remixes?

Why are recolors Allowed?

Why do you let people say bad words?

What is considered private information and what is not?

Why is it considered “too personal” to share the month and day of your birthday?

Why does Scratch have false reporting?

Section 5: The Forums
Has a collab ever worked?

24 hour close limit

What do the blue dots next to forum pages mean?

Forum Signatures

What is a bump?

How many suggestions were accepted by the ST?

What happens when a topic is un-stickied?

What is the oldest topic that still exists?

Can you report a signature?

Am I allowed to have a Q and A on the Scratch Discussion Forums?

If you put a link to a topic in a sticky, does that mean that the linked topic is an ITopic?

What is an ITopic?

Why is the forum search bar broken?

How do I close a topic?

Can new scratchers edit their posts?

Why was the forum/user search bar removed?

How do people bump with images?

Section 6: The Wiki
What is the Scratch Wiki?

Section 7: What Does _____ Mean?
What's a DTAE?

Why are there so many users with a username that starts with cs?

What's a MEP

What's a MAP?

What's an AT/AR?

What does “'” mean?

Section 8: Is _____ Allowed?
Playboy bunny

HTF

Blood cells

Death from a disease

‘The Tale of The Three Brothers’

“Beat up ____” projects

Discussion of sensitive & controversial topics

Innuendo

Lmao

Adults drinking wine

Discolored blood

The phrase "what the hell'

Swearing in unshared projects

The meme “how is babby formed?"

It's Everyday Bro

Loud and Distorted Audio

Face Reveals

“Go commit ____”

Ahegao expression in innocent contexts

Among Us (the game)

Credits
• Thanks to all the users who owned past topics of the FAQ and Question Dictionary stickies.
• Thanks to the Scratch Wiki for providing useful links and information.
• Thanks to various users across all of the FAQ and Question Dictionary topics for pointing out mistakes and other inconsistencies, and for suggesting questions and topics to be added to the lists!

Other Helpful Links
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions (Suggestions Forum)
Discuss the Policies of this Forum (TIRAP Forum)
Discuss the Policies of this Forum (TIMAC Forum)
Forum terminology, etiquette, and conventions! (New Scratchers Forum)

Any misinformation? Is there a question you'd like to add? A grammar mistake? Please let me know. Cheers!

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (May 26, 2021 18:31:51)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Has the previous owner stated that they are okay with you creating the sticky? I'm not seeing a comment of yours on their profile like they requested.

Also, before anyone says otherwise, this does not violate the guide moratorium because it is meant to replace an existing sticky which is no longer active.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't understand why the topic name says “ (Don't Ask Suggestions Here!)”. Maybe you meant questions?

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
EZ-Games
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Has the previous owner stated that they are okay with you creating the sticky? I'm not seeing a comment of yours on their profile like they requested.
Yes.

God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
John 3:17

Advice:
Saying “Support” or “No Support” doesn't contribute anything to the conversation.
A question that has already been answered doesn't need to be answered twice with the same answer - bring something new to the table.
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Basic88 wrote:

I don't understand why the topic name says “ (Don't Ask Suggestions Here!)”. Maybe you meant questions?
Oops XD

EZ-Games wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Yes.
Thanks!

geometric_ghast
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Reporting to be stickied! Thanks for doing this

I'm at @Ihatr. If you see this, check me there
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

geometric_ghast wrote:

Oof, it's not done yet, but thanks! ^^

Edit: Mod, if you are reading this, please don't sticky this until it's done. (When the [UNDER CONSTRUCTION] in the title disappears)

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (Aug. 25, 2020 13:45:50)

geometric_ghast
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

geometric_ghast wrote:

Oof, it's not done yet, but thanks! ^^
Yeah, I know .

geometric_ghast
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change Where do I do when I find a bug in Scratch? to Where do I go when I find a bug in Scratch?
(Or What do I do when I find a bug in Scratch)

Last edited by geometric_ghast (Aug. 25, 2020 13:47:23)

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

geometric_ghast wrote:

Change Where do I do when I find a bug in Scratch? to Where do I go when I find a bug in Scratch?
(Or What do I do when I find a bug in Scratch)
Thanks!

PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nice job! Congrats on your first sticky.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

Nice job! Congrats on your first sticky.
Uh.. Thanks! It's not a sticky yet, though. I have to get it done first. XD

xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Woohoo! It is done!

Should I report it to be stickied? I think I will just wait for geometric_ghast's report to go through.

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (Aug. 25, 2020 14:51:47)

geometric_ghast
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

Woohoo! It is done!

Should I report it to be stickied? I think I will just wait for geometric_ghast's report to go through.
Yay! Hope you get your first sticky soon

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thank you for taking over! It looks a lot better!
Aster-Cat
Scratcher
10 posts

Looks great! Reported to be stickied. <3

(Also Off-Topic but I didn't know how Kaj was and they gave me Flashbacks to Fman122)
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Thank you for taking over! It looks a lot better!

Aster-Cat wrote:

Looks great! Reported to be stickied. <3

geometric_ghast wrote:

Yay! Hope you get your first sticky soon
Thank you so much!

Edit: It got stickied! :O

Last edited by xXRedTheCoderXx (Aug. 25, 2020 16:39:43)

4096bits
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Congrats on the sticky!

I've moved on to Snap!. Click here to learn more. No, it's not a joke.
xXRedTheCoderXx
Scratcher
1000+ posts

4096bits wrote:

Congrats on the sticky!
Thank you!

Update: I've added a new question in the temporary questions section about the lag on Scratch. Now that many Scratchers are going back to school and the lag is going down, I will probably remove it mid to late September or so.

Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xXRedTheCoderXx wrote:

-snip-
Q: Who is “kaj”?
[…]please ask them to stop.
-snip-
May you please change that to “please report them”? Asking them to stop won't do much.

I have moved to @BrowserExtension