Discuss Scratch

Braeden5454
Scratcher
500+ posts

Changing Usernames

Requesting to be closed, Been rejected.

No text here-> Haha April Fools, You spent 3 seconds highlighting this.
move () steps

If you think my post was helpful, you may want to Follow me to receive updated and useful tips.
I am raeden5454. You can check out some more projects at My Prof
404 Error. Cannot find page “signature”. Reason: Kumquat consumption
HeroOfFun
New to Scratch
1 post

Changing Usernames

hi,I'm new and I don't even now how to open new account so I agree that there should be a button !
SuperSmashScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

mitchboy wrote:

xlk wrote:

TreasureChest wrote:

Idc I like my username
same. Put some thought in usernames people!
I know I did. I spent like a half hour debating on my username.
XP Me too.

Bush hid the sig
SuperSmashScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

HeroOfFun wrote:

hi,I'm new and I don't even now how to open new account so I agree that there should be a button !
No. It will not happen. If you don't know how to open an account, how'd you get your account?

Bush hid the sig
SuperSmashScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Braeden5454 wrote:

You are getting carried away with this thing that you think you can close anything. It is the creator's decision, not yours.

Bush hid the sig
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

HeroOfFun wrote:

why do you need a new account? your username is unique as it is!

@OP: if people could change their username, they can change their identity on a whim and may get away with breaking the rules:

Example 1 wrote:

- “mr. moderator, BadUser5 cussed at me!”
- BadUser5 changed username to GoodUser2
- moderator cannot find BadUser5 because of 404 page
- GoodUser2 changed username to BadUser6
- BadUser6 continues cussing
unless the servers can store all username aliases and direct to the original userpage, there is no way of telling if UserA is UserB.

furthermore, changing username can mean taking the identity of others:

Example 2 wrote:

- griffpatch changed username to griffdad
- RandomUser changed username to griffpatch
- griffdad cannot change username back to griffpatch
unless there is a security protocol put in place to prevent taking original usernames, this can quickly become hazardous

and last but not least, changing username can bring troubling confusion to everyone affected:

Example 3 wrote:

- “hey, can you check out UserABC? he made gr8 projeks”
- “UserABC doesn't exist”
- “oh right, he changed his name to UserXYZ”
- “I thought he changed it to User123…?”
- “wait, what his username now???”

in conclusion, the harmful effects far outweigh the benefits. you're better off making a new account than allowing all this trouble to happen.

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

Famous scratcher changes username.
Not-famous scratcher changes username to famous scratcher's original username, and pretends to be him/her.

SO…
no support
RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

HeroOfFun wrote:

log out, then press join scratch and create a new account
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

Braeden5454 wrote:

You are getting carried away with this thing that you think you can close anything. It is the creator's decision, not yours.
Actually he is right this has been rejected heaps of time and it is even on the sticky!

Last edited by Blaze349 (July 1, 2014 14:32:42)

SuperSmashScratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Blaze349 wrote:

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

Braeden5454 wrote:

Actually he is right this has been rejected heaps of time and it is even on the sticky!

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

It is the creator's decision, not yours.

Bush hid the sig
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

Braeden5454 wrote:

SuperSmashScratch wrote:

It is the creator's decision, not yours.
No it isn't you can report a post to be closed if it has been reject a million times.
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Thanks for all the suggestions and discussion!

Unfortunately, this would create too much confusion in the community - and our system isn't set up to handle it. Please feel free to make a new username if you are not happy with your current name.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;