Discuss Scratch

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

WindOctahedron wrote:

So we can consider “bring back user id” rejected. Am I right?
After looking into what that block is, I'd say we wouldn't be bringing it back just because we made the decision to remove it before Scratch 2.0 was officially released. The “username” block does pretty much the exact same thing. Although I can't say for sure if it really is rejected.

Has anyone suggested bringing the “user id” block back? I'm not really sure what it could do that the “username” block can't do.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
AAmania
Scratcher
25 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

After looking into what that block is, I'd say we wouldn't be bringing it back just because we made the decision to remove it before Scratch 2.0 was officially released. The “username” block does pretty much the exact same thing. Although I can't say for sure if it really is rejected.

Has anyone suggested bringing the “user id” block back? I'm not really sure what it could do that the “username” block can't do.

I've been wondering, what did the “user id” block do compared to the “username” block?

HAVE EVER BEEN TROLLED ONLINE? YOUR MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO WIN
$9999,99,999 US DOLLER!!! MUCH MONEY!! CLICK HERE! DEFINETLY LIGET.
NOT SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!

WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

WindOctahedron wrote:

Has anyone suggested bringing the “user id” block back?
Yes, someone did.
I'm not really sure what it could do that the “username” block can't do.

Scratch Wiki article about "user id" wrote:

Each user had a different ID according to when they viewed the project (the first viewer was 1, the second was 2, and so forth). Users who were not logged in to an account were assigned the user ID 0. User ID's remained constant for the same project. The user ID block itself was a reporter block, and belonged to the Sensing category.

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AAmania wrote:

I've been wondering, what did the “user id” block do compared to the “username” block?
Whoops, looks like I misread the article at first: https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/User_ID_(block)

Seems like the “user id” block gave each user a specific ID number depending on what number viewer they were. This does seem a little problematic to me — but it sorta looks like it was already rejected on the basis that “Pretty much everything you want with user id can be done with username”: https://scratcharchive.asun.co/forums/viewtopic.php?id=115865

I'm not going to be the one to officially reject this. Maybe @Paddle2See could be reminded of this and make a decision.

Last edited by Za-Chary (Aug. 23, 2019 16:09:38)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

PatWP
Scratcher
24 posts

when green flag clicked
if <key [Rejecto!!! v] pressed?> then

say [why did they come up with these if they are rejected??] for (2) secs

else
say [press rejecto]
end
Medericoder
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hello, nice topic !

Last edited by Medericoder (Aug. 25, 2019 12:47:02)

○•-••○••-•••○•••-••••○••••MY BEST PROJECTS••••○••••-•••○•••-••○••-•○

- - - -Mii Maker 2- - - - -Find the Odd One Out- - -Messages Windows- - -Selection Square- - - - - - -Master Mind - - - -
○•-••○••-•••○•••-••••○••••-•••••○•••••-•-•-•••••○•••••-••••○••••-•••○•••-••○••-•○

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

2005200439 wrote:

Hello, nice topic !
Thank you!

Dragonlord767
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

Dragonlord767 wrote:

Am I just missing something, or has “Exact post counts” been removed from this list?
It's item 9.2.
Ah, thank you.

no signature plz
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@Paddle2See had a field day and rejected three four five new suggestions:
I've asked @Paddle2See for a bit of clarification on the last one (nested lists). Depending on what he says, I may choose to add it; however, I don't think the others need to be added at this time.

Last edited by Za-Chary (Aug. 27, 2019 20:18:40)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yep, Paddle responded to my query. When I asked if “nested lists” are the same as “2D arrays” or “matrices”, he responded with this:

Paddle2See* wrote:

I consider those all rejected. Confusing to beginners - not that hard to implement for experienced programmers.
This has been suggested a number of times, and so I have added it to the list, under 1.7.
1.7 2D lists
2D lists, also known as 2D arrays, nested lists, or matrices, are a type of data structure that allows you to put an entire list as an element of another list; that is, it allows you to put lists inside of lists. These sorts of data structures are used widely in other programming languages.

The block below, and others, would allow you to create 2D lists to store information, sort of like a table. However, this is too complicated for what is supposed to be an introductory programming language. In addition, there are workarounds possible by using an ordinary list and an indexing function.

For those who are interested, it may be worth checking out Snap. It is a block-based programming language designed for more experienced programmers, and has more advanced data structures than Scratch does.

add () to sublist () of [list v] :: list

Last edited by Za-Chary (Aug. 28, 2019 00:53:17)

UnconstructivePoster
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Yep, Paddle responded to my query. When I asked if “nested lists” are the same as “2D arrays” or “matrices”, he responded with this:

Paddle2See* wrote:

I consider those all rejected. Confusing to beginners - not that hard to implement for experienced programmers.
This has been suggested a number of times, and so I will be adding it to the list eventually.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited by UnconstructivePoster (Aug. 27, 2019 21:00:22)

Nestlé is an evil company. Don't buy their products!

Bookmarking some posts:
- explanation of cloud variable string encoding
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

This has been suggested a number of times, and so I have added it to the list, under 1.7.
-snip-
Okay, here are some related suggestions (all made by the same user who suggested nested lists):
Nested hashtables
Hash-nested lists

These are a bit different, but the first one is a duplicate that I linked to in the thread.
Hashtables
Treemaps

Last edited by WindOctahedron (Aug. 28, 2019 14:17:45)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
Thanks! I've closed the first two as they directly reference nested lists. However, Paddle mentioned to me that hash tables are NOT rejected, as they are easier to understand (perhaps more so than lists). I'll leave “hash tables” and “tree maps” open for now; but if one is a duplicate, please report it.

cawdd
Scratcher
100+ posts

wojciech-marzec wrote:

go to x: () y: () z: () :: motion
The z-axis in Scratch could refer to ‘layer’, not how close to the screen the object is.

Hi! This Is my signature!
rosebud87
Scratcher
87 posts

If you all want text-based coding, tynker.com is a lot like Scratch 1.4 in the layout, but it has some other blocks, as well as text-based coding and Minecraft mods.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cawdd wrote:

wojciech-marzec wrote:

go to x: () y: () z: () :: motion
The z-axis in Scratch could refer to ‘layer’, not how close to the screen the object is.
Any particular reason you re-quoted this? I already responded to it here: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/343602/?page=18#post-3679184

rosebud87 wrote:

If you all want text-based coding, tynker.com is a lot like Scratch 1.4 in the layout, but it has some other blocks, as well as text-based coding and Minecraft mods.
Seems good to me on the outside. Does it happen to contain private messaging or other forms of unmoderated chat? If not, I might add a brief description of it to #2.2.

DaEpikDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

“Mouse up?” block has been rejected (probably not worth putting it on the list but it's there)

And all the world over, each nation's the same,
They've simply no notion of playing the game.
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won,
And they practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DaEpikDude wrote:

“Mouse up?” block has been rejected (probably not worth putting it on the list but it's there)
I'd agree that it's not worth putting on the list.

DaBoi001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AKpanda7 wrote:

Could you make a block so that we could view who viewed are project or were you can love and favorite maybe if you click on the eye button it can show you a list of scratchers who viewed your project?
That's rejected.

Last Edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
around 2300 posts

I don't use Scratch all that much. I only hop on the forums and stuff. I make stuff on Unity and 3D model now.

“All right, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! GET MAD! I DON'T WANT YOUR * LEMONS! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give CAVE JOHNSON lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! With the LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”
- Cave Johnson
TMF10
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Asking someone to participate in follow for follow is relatively harmless. It is also not enforceable; how do you stop someone from doing follow for follow? If someone asks you to do follow for follow, and you do not want to, just politely decline their request. If they keep spamming you with requests, you can report that user.
Now, I disagree with that. Doesn't that ruin the point of being followed? Being followed is, and I quote, “a way to show a user your acceptance into the Scratch community and motivate them to continue making projects.” Follow for follow goes way beyond that.