Discuss Scratch

M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

When Banning Someone For Being An Alt Explain Why They Were Thought to Be an Alt Account

I feel like whenever a user is banned for “being an alternate account of (banned user)”, they should provide proof/say why they thought the person was an alternate account.

Since it might seem very confusing to someone when they’re automatically assumed to be this one person.
I’ve seen some cases in which a user was banned because their username was similar to that of a banned user, so they assumed they were the same person. Or they banned a friend of theirs because they thought they were the same person.

So here’s basically what I’m suggesting:

“We’ve banned your account since it is believed to be an alternate account of Bob*. This is why we think you’re that account:

Your username, Bobby, is very similar Bob

You have many of the same interests as Bob, including but not limited to: liking race cars, liking the music group This Is A Made Up Band, and being an avid fan of Fictional Show

Shortly after Bob was banned, you commented on their profile explaining that they were banned.

If this is false and you are not Bob, please let us know and we will look into the situation.”

This is a lot less harsh than just saying “You’ve been banned because you’re an alt account of Bob” because you’re not just harshly accusing them to be Bob, you’re saying that they believe you’re Bob because of a lot of evidence.

However in cases in which the banned user, Bob, had actually said they were Bobby on their original account, they could just say “You”ve been banned because you said you’re an alt account of Bob” without providing other types of evidence since I believe Bob simply stating he’s Bobby is pretty much confirming that they’re the same person. Though if Bobby said he was Bob, it is possible it could just be a joke or something (let me know if this part needs clarification)

*this is not intended to be an attack on anyone named ‘Bob’, I just tried to come up with a generic name. If you’re named Bob and are offended by this, please call me at my nonexistent phone number. Thanks!

Just because two users have similar usernames doesn’t mean they’re the same person, especially if they’re named after a character from some type of fandom, like how my username comes from the Pokémon ‘Mimikyu’. So if there was a user called Mimikyu1234 and they got banned, that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m the same user.

Or if they have the same icon, that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the same person. Maybe that image that’s their icon - let’s say it’s a picture of Pikachu - may be a popular picture of Pikachu (say that ten times lol) and a lot of people use it as their icon.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

Mr_PenguinAlex
Scratcher
1000+ posts

When Banning Someone For Being An Alt Explain Why They Were Thought to Be an Alt Account

Support, it is kinda dumb to be accused and banned with no explanation whatsoever.

JACsterandOlibob
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Although this has never happened to me I can see why it would come in useful. Support

LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No Support.
The ST has tools to tell if a user is an alt of another, such as by looking at their IP Address.
There are other ways too:

Privacy Policy wrote:

The information collected in this manner includes your IP address, network location, what browser you are using, device IDs and characteristics, operating system version, language preferences, referring URLs, and information about the usage of our site.

Of course, if someone is “falsely” banned, it's important that they simply use Contact Us.

Last edited by LegoManiac04 (Aug. 20, 2019 21:42:14)

Ian-Stewart
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support. This could help people completely understand why they were banned, and an explanation is always helpful.

My signature was completely outdated and a new one is under construction.
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Mr_PenguinAlex wrote:

Support, it is kinda dumb to be accused and banned with no explanation whatsoever.
This is exactly why I’m suggesting this.

LegoManiac04 wrote:

No Support.
The ST has tools to tell if a user is an alt of another, such as by looking at their IP Address.
There are other ways too:

Privacy Policy wrote:

The information collected in this manner includes your IP address, network location, what browser you are using, device IDs and characteristics, operating system version, language preferences, referring URLs, and information about the usage of our site.

Of course, if someone is “falsely” banned, it's important that they simply use Contact Us.

But what if the person wasn’t that user? They’d want to know what caused them to be accused. I do understand your point, but just because the ST has tools to tell if the account has some connection that doesn’t mean it’s always correct. Sometimes a person’s brother/sister is banned because of the same IP address.

Behold, Luna's Mimikyu army!! It got killed for a moment by an evil Lord Dome, but Lord Helix brought them back!!

DaEpikDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't know what a typical ban message looks like, but I think that there's no real harm in more information in ban reasons of any kind.

And all the world over, each nation's the same,
They've simply no notion of playing the game.
They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won,
And they practice beforehand, which ruins the fun!
UnconstructivePoster
New to Scratch
100+ posts

I've never been banned before, but this seems to be a good idea. A little clarification never hurts, especially in situations like these.

Last edited by UnconstructivePoster (Aug. 21, 2019 00:02:21)

Nestlé is an evil company. Don't buy their products!

Bookmarking some posts:
- explanation of cloud variable string encoding
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DaEpikDude wrote:

I don't know what a typical ban message looks like, but I think that there's no real harm in more information in ban reasons of any kind.
There’s a picture of the banned message on the Scratch wiki, I recommend checking that out

UnconstructivePoster wrote:

I've never been banned before, but this seems to be a good idea. A little clarification never hurts, especially in situations like these.
Honestly it’s so annoying when sites don’t even give you a reason for banning you. Shouldn’t you know what caused you to get banned?

SuperDoom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My little sister Emma (MaybeBellaBoo) gets banned constantly because of me. Support.

WARNING: Anything I post is either stupid, sarcastic, or ironic. I am not to be taken seriously. Feel free to make fun of me for anything I say.
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”
essentiallibertyisfreedomofspeech~Benjamin Franklin (This is my motto for replying to suggestions.)
As of 83G1NN1NG/0F/71M3, I use color #322F31 for my posts. If it's a link, I use #1AA0D8.
CLICK THIS LINK TO INSTANTLY CRASH THE SERVERS
Alexa, play Space Invaders.
As of November 7th, 2019, I have my computer back.
I'm awake from 11:00 AM to 11:30 PM CST (12:00 PM to 12:30 AM EST). Please be more active during that time.
I've moved to -THENEXT_LEVEL-.
LegoManiac04
Scratcher
1000+ posts

M1mikyu wrote:

Honestly it’s so annoying when sites don’t even give you a reason for banning you. Shouldn’t you know what caused you to get banned?
Doesn't it say the reason you're banned when getting banned?

M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LegoManiac04 wrote:

M1mikyu wrote:

Doesn't it say the reason you're banned when getting banned?
Yes, usually.
Though whenever it bans you for being an alt of someone they don't say why they believe you're an alt.

How would you feel if suddenly you were banned for being Kaj and they didn't exactly explain why? You might feel wrongly accused or something.

WaterComesBack
Scratcher
100+ posts

i'll bump
Big
Upside-down
Monsters
Partying

BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
okay enough, welcome to my siggy. (press down+shift while highlighting a part of my signature to see the rest of my sig)
E

whoops sorry for the accidental e

h

h

h

stop viewing this

move (999999999) steps
move (999999) steps

ende
M1mikyu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WaterComesBack wrote:

i'll bump
Big
Upside-down
Monsters
Partying
Bump 2

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Sorry - we're not going to go into exhaustive detail about what led us to the conclusion that two accounts are being used by one person. That would be giving away our moderator secrets and teaching people how to better avoid being caught going around a block.

However, we recognize that sometimes we are wrong and are certainly open to correcting our mistakes once they are pointed out. I suggest you use the usual blocked account appeal process if you think your account has been blocked in error.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;