Discuss Scratch

StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

WindOctahedron wrote:

-snip-
true, but I will say it still has merit (the possibility of not nice things being said with emoticons)

Last edited by StrangeMagic32 (July 15, 2019 13:47:30)

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
c_l_0
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Would anyone think that “Notifications for mentioning users via @” is rejected as per this post? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/665/?page=1#post-4221

(Note: @Lightnin is a former Scratch Team member.)

Also! By popular request, I've updated the list of rejected suggestions to include uncommon suggestions. You can view them at the bottom of the list. I'd really like some feedback on this list, please, if you have any. The more I look at the list, the more I think this wasn't a good idea.

I think so. Let’s say someone mentions you in a comment. Let’s say you are asking someone about another user, and they are using the @ sign. Bam. New notification for the other user. I don’t think it’s worth the time and effort to code it in.

About me:
Species: Borg
Name: Four
Desire: Acquire more technology.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

c_l_0 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Would anyone think that “Notifications for mentioning users via @” is rejected as per this post? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/665/?page=1#post-4221

(Note: @Lightnin is a former Scratch Team member.)

Also! By popular request, I've updated the list of rejected suggestions to include uncommon suggestions. You can view them at the bottom of the list. I'd really like some feedback on this list, please, if you have any. The more I look at the list, the more I think this wasn't a good idea.

I think so. Let’s say someone mentions you in a comment. Let’s say you are asking someone about another user, and they are using the @ sign. Bam. New notification for the other user. I don’t think it’s worth the time and effort to code it in.
Thanks — but I already added it as #6.5.

6.5 Notifications for being mentioned in comments
Some users would like to be notified whenever someone mentions their username in a comment in the website. Although such an option was considered, it was not added due to the potential for spam.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have removed the suggestions “Remove the 50 MB project size limit” (formerly 2.6) and “Ban a certain franchise” (formerly 3.4).

These were removed due to not being suggested often. Regarding 2.6, projects are now able to be larger than 50 MB (restricted to 10 MB per asset and 50 MB for the code). Regarding 3.4, it is redundant because you can use the Report button to report disrespectful projects of any kind. These suggestions are still rejected, but don't need to be on the list.

I think the suggestions on “Increase the 300 clone limit”, “Remove the location feature”, and “Moderate mini-mods” can stay for now.

Remove the 50 MB project size limit
Server space costs the Scratch Team money. At the same time, they want to be sure that Scratch is free for everybody. They cannot afford unlimited project space on the website with this goal in mind.
Ban a certain franchise
Generally the Scratch Team does not censor projects based off of a certain franchise unless a large number of inappropriate projects were made with the franchise. An example of a franchise with lots of inappropriate projects includes Five Nights at Freddy's; for more information, see #3.3 on this list. Of course, you should always report inappropriate projects of any kind.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

StrangeMagic32 wrote:

quick question about 3.1

Za-Chary wrote:

3.1 was edited from “Blacklisted chat projects with cloud variables” to “Chat projects with cloud variables” to reflect the new policy regarding cloud chats.
does this mean that if I wanted to I couldn't use, let's say, emoticons? or things like that across cloud? or are those still allowed?
Emoticons should be fine, as long as the emoticons themselves aren't problematic.

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Is the scratch team looking into the Page Colors (yknow liike dark mode) suggestions?
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

Is the scratch team looking into the Page Colors (yknow liike dark mode) suggestions?
As far as I know, this is still an option we are considering. It has not been officially rejected, to my knowledge.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Okay, I think my revising is complete. I've merged a few of the “Uncommon Suggestions” into the main list. Here are the updates that I performed:
  • Re-ordered the entries in subsections 1, 2, 6, and 8, to either reflect how often those suggestions are requested, or to sort them logically otherwise.

• Added some block prototypes for every suggestion in subsection 1.

• Added the suggestions “'Pointing towards sprite' boolean block” (1.3), “Official Scratch to EXE converter (2.5), and ”Improve or remove the extension policy" (6.7). These were initially in the list of rejected uncommon suggestions.

• Merged “Paid advertisements on Scratch” (a previously rejected uncommon suggestion) with “Money blocks” (1.4) since they are rejected for similar reasons.

• Merged “Digital currency” with “Scratch achievements” (7.7) since they are rejected for similar reasons, and “digital currency” fits better with “Scratch achievements” than with “money blocks.”

• Although I previously stated that I would, I chose not to add “'Recent' option in the search bar” or “Remove trackers from the website” (from the list of rejected uncommon suggestions), as I don't believe they are suggested very often. It's possible that I may add them in the future if needed.
As always, let me know of any feedback you guys have.

great_elmo
Scratcher
100+ posts

removing grounded projects is rejected.
this topic is asking for it

Last edited by great_elmo (July 20, 2019 19:28:40)

Total weeaboo.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

great_elmo wrote:

removing grounded projects is rejected.
this topic is asking for it
Thanks — but I probably won't be adding it for the same reason I removed “Ban a certain franchise”. It's redundant, as you should always just Report any inappropriate projects.

pigpixel
Scratcher
100 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

GENERAL INFORMATION
1.6 3D Scratch
The block below, and others, could be used with a z-axis in the project stage to make it easier to create 3D projects. But, Scratch is a language that is designed to be as easy as possible for beginners to learn. Adding 3D features would make the language more difficult for beginners to understand, and a 3D engine is not exactly the purpose of Scratch. There is a similar program to Scratch that contains block programming with 3D features, called Starlogo TNG. You can also try Alice; it is not exactly like Scratch, but has some similar features.

go to x: () y: () z: () :: motion

define x() y() z()
go to x: (x) y: (y)
set size to (z) %

Jeff
this is kumkat destroyer bot 1, or you can call him Jeff

StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

pigpixel wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-

define x() y() z()
go to x: (x) y: (y)
set size to (z) %
He wasn't showing a work around, but merely showing what it may look like, though yours does work for most cases

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Recently rejected: Remove “Disable comments”.
However, it's not commonly suggested, so it won't be added to the list.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (July 30, 2019 17:42:49)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

Recently rejected: Remove “Disable comments”.
However, it's not commonly suggested, so it won't be added to the list.
I have seen this suggested before — but not too commonly. It's something to keep in my back pocket for later. Thanks!

ThatOneWeirdDude
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I found one:Pop up alert user to excessive session time on Scratch to promote healthy life choices

paddle2see wrote:

There are a number of time-management and parental control programs that can perform this kind of task now, if desired. I don't think there is a strong need for it to be built-in to Scratch.

Also I've seen "Previous Costume Block" pop up a few times
not sure if its rejected but
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ThatOneWeirdDude wrote:

I found one:Pop up alert user to excessive session time on Scratch to promote healthy life choices

paddle2see wrote:

There are a number of time-management and parental control programs that can perform this kind of task now, if desired. I don't think there is a strong need for it to be built-in to Scratch.

Also I've seen "Previous Costume Block" pop up a few times
not sure if its rejected but
“Pop-up alert” was previously considered to be added, but was not deemed common enough to be added to the list.

As far as I know, “previous costume block” has not been rejected.

lunaraemaemae
Scratcher
50 posts

wha? (gotta use that!)

(^_^)   
this is my kumquat killer.STRIKE THAT DEMON DOWN PAPYRUS!!!!
WaterComesBack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Maybe you can reject the forever if block?
Basically, it's got a lot of no-supporters.

BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
BA BUM BUM B U M
okay enough, welcome to my siggy. (press down+shift while highlighting a part of my signature to see the rest of my sig)
E

whoops sorry for the accidental e

h

h

h

stop viewing this

move (999999999) steps
move (999999) steps

ende
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WaterComesBack wrote:

Maybe you can reject the forever if block?
Basically, it's got a lot of no-supporters.
I personally don't do the rejecting. Even if I did, I probably wouldn't add it to this list — it's easy enough to explain the workaround.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

New rejected suggestion: “Remove email confirmation”: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/365896/?page=2#post-3656926

I probably won't add it right now because it's not commonly suggested and it's really easy to explain why it's rejected. Aside from @cheddargirl's confirmation, the other replies in that thread do a good job of explaining why it's rejected.