Discuss Scratch

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

Za-Chary wrote:

cs1093855 wrote:

Why would you put a smiley face for a rejected topic? That’s just… weird!
I am proud of myself for helping out and contributing to the forums.

wat?

ST sometimes confuse me…

Infrequently active.

It feels weird to see how far we've come. I hope you're well, wherever you are!
StrangeMagic32
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

cs1093855 wrote:

Why would you put a smiley face for a rejected topic? That’s just… weird!
I am proud of myself for helping out and contributing to the forums.
xD lovely

“Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;”
- Doctrine and Covenants 18:10

I have since moved to @JollyWinter
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

“Increase the list size limit” appears to be rejected, as per this post: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/346905/?page=3#post-3584177

I almost feel like this is worth adding to the list, but it just sounds a lot like all those other “increase/remove limit” suggestions (including numbers 2.5, 2.6, and 4.4). I was thinking about perhaps combining all these suggestions into one entry, just so the list doesn't get too long.

Anyone have any opinions / ideas / suggestions about this?

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
1cloner
Scratcher
58 posts

How to you become part of the scratch team
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

1cloner wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-
Please post this in the “Questions about Scratch” forum. But I'll answer anyway.
You must be at least 18 years old, good in technology and programming, and you must be trusted and responsible for the material of Scratch and MIT. You also must be allowed to work in the USA.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (June 12, 2019 06:25:04)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

1cloner wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-
Please post this in the “Questions about Scratch” forum. But I'll answer anyway.
You must be at least 18 years old, good in technology and programming, and you must be trusted and responsible for the material of Scratch and MIT. You also must be allowed to work in the USA.
To be a moderator, you don't really need any programming experience (but it's probably a good idea to be familiar with the Scratch language, at least). Being a developer likely requires some good programming skills.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

CANSLP
Scratcher
100+ posts

1.5 Cloud Lists
Cloud variables currently have several restrictions. There can be at most 10 cloud variables per project due to server costs. New Scratchers cannot use cloud variables, for it is easy to misuse them. Cloud variables can only support up to 256 numeric digits so it is harder to create chat projects; for more information, see #3.1 on this list.

Cloud lists would require similar restrictions, and the issues currently presented with cloud variables would only grow with the addition of cloud lists. You can still use cloud variables to create a list which contains entries everyone can see, but the Scratch Team will not be adding an official, easy way to make cloud lists.

wait i don't understand why you're rejecting this. like- i don't understand why “cloud variables have restrictions, so lists would need to have them too” means “we can't have cloud lists”. why can't you just… do that. make cloud lists with the same restrictions as cloud variables. especially because
You can still use cloud variables to create a list which contains entries everyone can see
like this is already a thing it's just annoying and difficult. seems like a weird move to be like you can do this but only in a frustrating roundabout way, like making it easier to do doesn't change the complications of it's existence.

– C A N S L P
Traveling Game Designer

CANSLP
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Cloud variables can only support up to 256 numeric digits so it is harder to create chat projects
i have a similar question about this. i really dislike the strategy of “solving misbehavior by making it theoretically more frustrating to implement” like that not only doesn't stop people from doing the thing you don't want them to do but also makes it impossible to do other tangentially related and totally legal things. this character limit makes multiplayer games *really difficult* to scale and effectively breaks all preexisting ones. i'm unclear on what the cloud feature is even for other than like- simple tagless highscores if we can't use more than 256 characters. there are plenty of other ways to ban chat features without breaking online game engines.

Last edited by CANSLP (June 12, 2019 14:00:32)

– C A N S L P
Traveling Game Designer

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CANSLP wrote:

-snip-
To answer your first question regarding cloud lists: in order to have similar restrictions as cloud variables, realistically someone could only make one cloud list, with a maximum of 10 entries possible, each entry only supporting numeric digits and no longer than 256 characters. That would be the necessary restrictions similar to cloud variables — and this doesn't give much options for you, compared with what lists can do. In addition, using a cloud list would also mean you can't use additional cloud variables in the same project (if you could, then we would just be upping the cloud variable limit to 20 instead of 10).

To overall summarize why we limit cloud variables, it's not only due to the chat and moderation aspects, but also the cost. We can't afford to allow unlimited cloud data storage simply because it costs money to run, maintain, and update these variables. I'm not certain on the specifics of that, but @thisandagain would likely have a more detailed answer. We'd especially like to have Scratch be free to use, without any advertisements on the website.

AFNNetworkK12
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

CANSLP wrote:

-snip-
To answer your first question regarding cloud lists: in order to have similar restrictions as cloud variables, realistically someone could only make one cloud list, with a maximum of 10 entries possible, each entry only supporting numeric digits and no longer than 256 characters. That would be the necessary restrictions similar to cloud variables — and this doesn't give much options for you, compared with what lists can do. In addition, using a cloud list would also mean you can't use additional cloud variables in the same project (if you could, then we would just be upping the cloud variable limit to 20 instead of 10).

To overall summarize why we limit cloud variables, it's not only due to the chat and moderation aspects, but also the cost. We can't afford to allow unlimited cloud data storage simply because it costs money to run, maintain, and update these variables. I'm not certain on the specifics of that, but @thisandagain would likely have a more detailed answer. We'd especially like to have Scratch be free to use, without any advertisements on the website.
oof.

AFN!

| Okay | Hobbyist | Introvert | Active | OK! |

HELLO
HFScratch
Scratcher
54 posts

Some suggestion's that I received from different scratcher's regarding the topic of “Studio Abusing”(Sorry for not mentioning the names)

1. Managers shall only be allowed to add projects and invite people, the authority to remove people/projects should be only given to the owner of the
studio.
2. Studio abuse shall be introduced as a reason to report a user in the report user section.
3. When you remove 15+ projects\people from the studio Scratch shall automatically lock your manager authorities for a certain amount of time.
4. Before removing member(s) or project(s) from a studio a message should be sent to the owner informing him/her and asking him/her for approval
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HFScratch wrote:

Some suggestion's that I received from different scratcher's regarding the topic of “Studio Abusing”(Sorry for not mentioning the names)

1. Managers shall only be allowed to add projects and invite people, the authority to remove people/projects should be only given to the owner of the
studio.
2. Studio abuse shall be introduced as a reason to report a user in the report user section.
3. When you remove 15+ projects\people from the studio Scratch shall automatically lock your manager authorities for a certain amount of time.
4. Before removing member(s) or project(s) from a studio a message should be sent to the owner informing him/her and asking him/her for approval
Please make a new topic about your suggestions — don't post them here. Otherwise, no one will see them.

HFScratch
Scratcher
54 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

HFScratch wrote:

studio.
Please make a new topic about your suggestions — don't post them here. Otherwise, no one will see them.
Ok but wasan't this for suggestion? Where should I post suggestions where scratch team sees them?
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HFScratch wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip- (not the list)
Ok but wasan't this for suggestion? Where should I post suggestions where scratch team sees them?
In the “Suggestions” forum. You just have to make a separate topic.

Last edited by WindOctahedron (June 15, 2019 11:59:23)

The message above may contain wrong information, rude remarks, or something embarrassing to my current self. In this case, please ignore it and remember that I likely wrote it back when I didn't know what “respect” truly meant. I really hate thinking about it again.
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

HFScratch wrote:

Ah, I see your confusion. This particular topic is for the list of all rejected suggestions, and so any replies here should ideally be about my list. More people will see your suggestions if you post a new topic about it.

Go to this page, which you likely recognize since you were able to get here:

Do you see the blue button in the top right corner called “New Topic”? Click that, and start writing your suggestion! That way, more people will see your suggestion and then Scratchers will start discussing about whether your suggestion may be helpful.

Doing this will also allow you to get notifications when someone replies.

HFScratch
Scratcher
54 posts

WindOctahedron wrote:

HFScratch wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip- (not the list)
In the “Suggestions” forum. You just have to make a separate topic.
Ok,I will try I am actually new to discussion forums.
get_it_prince_xD
Scratcher
18 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

(reserved in case I ever need this particular post location)
how do u become a member of the scratch team? random thing that I'm asking
WindOctahedron
Scratcher
1000+ posts

get_it_prince_xD wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

ANOTHER ONE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHAT?!?!?!

HFScratch
Scratcher
54 posts

get_it_prince_xD wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

This link provides some information:-

https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/How_can_I_be_a_Scratch_Team_member%3F
https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/Scratch_Team
*I hope that this helps
HFScratch
Scratcher
54 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

HFScratch wrote:

Ah, I see your confusion. This particular topic is for the list of all rejected suggestions, and so any replies here should ideally be about my list. More people will see your suggestions if you post a new topic about it.

Go to this page, which you likely recognize since you were able to get here:

Do you see the blue button in the top right corner called “New Topic”? Click that, and start writing your suggestion! That way, more people will see your suggestion and then Scratchers will start discussing about whether your suggestion may be helpful.

Doing this will also allow you to get notifications when someone replies.
Thanks for your detailed reply.