Discuss Scratch

CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

For some reason I have a chromebook that seems to have an issue when it comes to Scratch projects. Whenever I play a Scratch game or an interactive project, it starts having these 5-second freezes that completely start to interrupt my game. This only happens to Scratch forturnetly, but proves how terrible chromebooks can be on running things.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!
I'm CalebPRF, pretty active, obsessed with Windows and Object Shows.
Please look at my projects, they are really good.

Fun Facts About Windows 7! :)
if <Fan of Windows 7> then
Respect for them!
end

Hooray! 50th post! :D
mrrecordman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

they have Scratch 1.4 (because for some reason our teachers don't want to use 2.0 because it had camera blocks).
reject 1.4. embrace 3.0.

and im pretty sure my school computers STILL USE WINDOWS 7. Witch im pretty sure is obsolete/dead.

Last edited by mrrecordman (March 25, 2022 21:05:03)

Ernie bangs the sound,
But no one's spoken since half past four

put this in your signature if you have abandoned your account
Dotumantaraye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheGlassPenguin wrote:

Dotumantaraye wrote:

i don't get why schools track student's computers i think they don't need to do that
I agree. The CIPA law doesn't say anything about tracking our browsing history, only blocking inappropriate content.
actually wait nvm i was wrong
Schools subject to CIPA have two additional certification requirements: 1) their Internet safety policies must include monitoring the online activities of minors;
-ElectronicArts-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

mrrecordman wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

they have Scratch 1.4 (because for some reason our teachers don't want to use 2.0 because it had camera blocks).
reject 1.4. embrace 3.0.

and im pretty sure my school computers STILL USE WINDOWS 7. Witch im pretty sure is obsolete/dead.
yeh no longer supported or getting updates

mrrecordman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

We have Windows 7, but a terrible filter blocking out many good sites. I'm so glad Scratch isn't blocked.
Can you Please name some of those sites?

Ernie bangs the sound,
But no one's spoken since half past four

put this in your signature if you have abandoned your account
CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

-ElectronicArts- wrote:

mrrecordman wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

reject 1.4. embrace 3.0.

yeh no longer supported or getting updates
My school computers dont even use windows, they use the dreadful school chromebooks.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

For some reason, almost all of the extensions are blocked by our administrator in the Chrome Web Store. Most of the actual good applications are blocked by the District for no reason whatsoever. Administration has left us to embrace the pitiful apps of Google Dictionary, Google Translate, and more. For starters, multiple students have actually used Google Translate and Google Dictionary for cheating during tests. Of course, there is the over-hyped GoGuardian to ATTEMPT to take care of that, but I am not sure why they allow those. Then they got this Read&Write which they forced installed into the chromebook.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

For some reason, almost all of the extensions are blocked by our administrator in the Chrome Web Store. Most of the actual good applications are blocked by the District for no reason whatsoever. Administration has left us to embrace the pitiful apps of Google Dictionary, Google Translate, and more. For starters, multiple students have actually used Google Translate and Google Dictionary for cheating during tests. Of course, there is the over-hyped GoGuardian to ATTEMPT to take care of that, but I am not sure why they allow those. Then they got this Read&Write which they forced installed into the chromebook.

Also, the filter that blocks most of the websites in my school chromebook can actually be disabled by modificating the certifications and authorities. Its honestly really dumb how they didn't lock that area. Plus, students in my class are literally making Google Docs having tons of unblocked games in vpn websites and unblocker sites.

Last edited by CalebPRF (March 26, 2022 22:52:19)

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

Dotumantaraye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CalebPRF wrote:

Also, the filter that blocks most of the websites in my school chromebook can actually be disabled by modificating the certifications and authorities. Its honestly really dumb how they didn't lock that area. Plus, students in my class are literally making Google Docs having tons of unblocked games in vpn websites and unblocker sites.
by the way you don't have to open the google translate webpage to access google translate you just gotta google ‘google translate’ and it'll pop up

i feel like schools are just stupid in general. when crown virus came along a lot of the teachers in my high school wanted to use canvas, but we got microsoft teams and schoology instead.
IDontNoWatIAm
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

Dotumantaraye wrote:

i feel like schools are just stupid in general. when crown virus came along a lot of the teachers in my high school wanted to use canvas, but we got microsoft teams and schoology instead.
I think around like 2017-2018 my school switched from their own online system to using schoology

Legend has it that to this day, there is still no effort to patch the GoGuardian freeze bug
wacky man with 500+ forum posts
blah blah blah this is my siggy under the gray line blah blah blah kumquat ate the rest blah blah blah

set pen color to [test]
thirteenoclock
Scratcher
30 posts

School Computers

if your school is dumb enough to have dev mode unlocked on your chromebook then you can access the linux terminal using ctrl alt t (i think?) and typing something in
i forgot the command but once you get access to that terminal you can basically control the entire thing
otherwise you can test the battery output or something in crosh but that isn’t every exciting

Last edited by thirteenoclock (March 27, 2022 15:38:06)

every 60 seconds, a minute passes. please fund my fight to slow time so we can prevent this. thank you
CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

thirteenoclock wrote:

if your school is dumb enough to have dev mode unlocked on your chromebook then you can access the linux terminal using ctrl alt t (i think?) and typing something in
i forgot the command but once you get access to that terminal you can basically control the entire thing
otherwise you can test the battery output or something in crosh but that isn’t every exciting
Wow, for some reason my school district turned on developer mode and LOCKED IT. I can't comprehend the stupidity of that decision.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

thirteenoclock
Scratcher
30 posts

School Computers

CalebPRF wrote:

thirteenoclock wrote:

Wow, for some reason my school district turned on developer mode and LOCKED IT. I can't comprehend the stupidity of that decision.
i was half mistaken actually crosh is just for testing but there is a terminal you can use if you search it up on the search thingy

every 60 seconds, a minute passes. please fund my fight to slow time so we can prevent this. thank you
CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

mrrecordman wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

reject 1.4. embrace 3.0.

Oh wow, our school abandoned Windows 7 in 2018. I actually continued to use it until I got the notification that it was about to have end of support.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

sukune
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

im like really peeved off by the fact that chromebooks are so slow that the literal chip is an SD CARD (of the model im using, atleast). im not joking. im not a computer expert person but a SD card?!?! how cheap can you go???

Last edited by sukune (April 12, 2022 13:16:58)

“I'm an orca on a stroll.” | my actual voice! | ask me for my business card
Kitten-da-Cat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14526.57.0, Chrome 100.0.4896.64, No Flash version detected

Signed:
J. N.

Here is my cute cat:
sukune
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14150.87.0, Chrome 94.0.4606.124, No Flash version detected

terrible chromebook gang

CalebPRF
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

According to the Scratch Paste Browser Button, it says: wrote:

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14268.79.0, Chrome 96.0.4664.204, No Flash version detected.
Sign me up……

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14526.57.0, Chrome 100.0.4896.64, No Flash version detected
How did you get an upgrade to your chromebook? I'm behind in terms of up to date.

Hi Windows 7 fan here!

Respect for them!
end

sukune
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CalebPRF wrote:

According to the Scratch Paste Browser Button, it says: wrote:

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14268.79.0, Chrome 96.0.4664.204, No Flash version detected.
Sign me up……

Kitten-da-Cat wrote:

How did you get an upgrade to your chromebook? I'm behind in terms of up to date.

your model is probably outdated or it cant upgrade

Twinklespeak
Scratcher
100+ posts

School Computers

Lol, my school itself IS the computer. (I go to an online school.)

“The color of infinity inside an empty glass…”
Not very active on Scratch anymore. More likely to be seen on the forums than the main site.