Discuss Scratch

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

gigapouch wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

gigapouch wrote:

You can download all of those free! I use Kodu Game Lab, but the computers it is used on at school make it lag a lot (rarely over 20 fps)…

Mine usually goes at 40 - 60 fps during normal gameplay and depending on the world, the zooming and other stuff, it goes rarely above 120 fps (because of my graphics card and RAM). The water effect is awesome and it's great until it crashes.

On my computer, I actually get about 175 fps on a world with the temperature meter up to red! On the menus, I get about 400.

Oh, I get 300 fps (on the help section )

bottom text
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

We use Chromebooks (which everyone has) and regular desktops at our school.

They have stricter regulations for the Chromebooks than for the desktops, but still, there are a lot of workarounds against the blocks. (I remember that someone found at least five ways to bypass the Youtube ban. But now they have something that erases the workarounds.) And the Chromebooks are technically ours because we bought them from the school.

During lunch and break about 70% of the entire school are on them. (Actually, that saves a lot of fights over who gets what basketball court to play on and stuff like that because we only have so many of them.) They don't even block that many games (and some people just go on their phones). I think the school admins don't really care; they just don't want the games and stuff to distract from students' learning, and the teachers themselves can handle that pretty well.

No one really cares about the desktops because they're laggy and you can only use them if you have Computers or Robotics.

EDIT: Oh, and about Wikipedia, our English teacher would give us a zero if we tried to use it for our source. So no one ever does.

Last edited by Deerleg (Feb. 1, 2015 02:34:06)

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Deerleg wrote:

They have stricter regulations for the Chromebooks than for the desktops, but still, there are a lot of workarounds against the blocks. (I remember that someone found at least five ways to bypass the Youtube ban. But now they have something that erases the workarounds.) And the Chromebooks are technically ours because we bought them from the school.

During lunch and break about 70% of the entire school are on them. (Actually, that saves a lot of fights over who gets what basketball court to play on and stuff like that because we only have so many of them.) They don't even block that many games (and some people just go on their phones). I think the school admins don't really care; they just don't want the games and stuff to distract from students' learning, and the teachers themselves can handle that pretty well.

No one really cares about the desktops because they're laggy and you can only use them if you have Computers or Robotics.

EDIT: Oh, and about Wikipedia, our English teacher would give us a zero if we tried to use it for our source. So no one ever does.

We're not allowed to play with devices during lunch and break because we got detention if we play with electronic devices during then. We're only allowed to play physically outside (which I absolutely hate) and we sometimes get complaints from other students from what equipment they want to play. The teachers do that because our deivces could get damaged.

Last edited by CatsUnited (Feb. 1, 2015 02:38:51)

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Oh yeah and the teachers are allowed to use WiFi at the staff room. Because of our NO ELECTRONICS AT PLAY TIME rule, some people sneak in their devices before they get busted.

bottom text
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

To add up all the things I've said about Computers at our school (and a couple of other things), this is what I've said

We use IE9
Scratch is blocked
We can't use devices at play time
We only get 50 minutes a week (and about half the time we can't even do it because of an event or something) but the teachers cut off 15 minutes all the time
Google+ is not blocked
They all run Windows 7
Students can only play flash games on friv
Adobe Flash and Java versions are out of date
The less-powerful ones take about 10 minutes to get into Internet Explorer (including boot time)
Our teachers once gave us 3 letter long passwords with common names that kept on getting hacked (and I was the main target)
I'm the best at my class at computers

bottom text
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

We're not allowed to play with devices during lunch and break because we got detention if we play with electronic devices during then. We're only allowed to play physically outside (which I absolutely hate) and we sometimes get complaints from other students from what equipment they want to play. The teachers do that because our deivces could get damaged.
True… once a Chromebook broke because the user sat too close to an ongoing basketball game and the basketball smashed into it.

But most people have enough sense not to do that. We have benches in the hallways anyway.

CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Deerleg wrote:

CatsUnited wrote:

Deerleg wrote:

True… once a Chromebook broke because the user sat too close to an ongoing basketball game and the basketball smashed into it.

But most people have enough sense not to do that. We have benches in the hallways anyway.

Our school doesn't even have proper hallways, just open paths with a roof on top, a building to one side and some poles and maybe mesh-like wood pattern on the other

bottom text
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

I forgot to mention that my school has laptops (so does every other public school in NSW). My year was the last to get them because the government decided to stop giving them out. They run Windows 7 Enterprise and have many of the same programs that the desktops have. They don't have Visual Studio because of the Group Policy restrictions that block most .exe files (except for programs that are already installed on the computer). A lot of people use a Java program that bypasses the application blocker though. Because I am the computer know-it-all my school, everyone keeps asking me to hack their laptops to remove the restrictions. I have done it for several people, but I usually say no. Our laptops are Lenovo ThinkPad X131e models which are newer and better than all the previous ones that gave out. They have a 120GB SSD (the older laptops had higher capacity HDDs, but the SSDs are a lot faster and don't break as easily), 4GB of RAM, Intel Celeron processor (can't remember the clock speed), 1366x768 display.

@CatsUnited Your profile says you are in Australia. Which state?

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

nathanprocks wrote:

Western Australia (which means I still have 16.5 hours of holidays left! )

bottom text
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

CatsUnited wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Western Australia (which means I still have 16.5 hours of holidays left! )
I went back to school last week.

I also forgot to mention that my school has a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy. Students are allowed to take laptops, tablets, phones, etc. to school but must take responsibility for them. They have a 5GHz wireless network and hotspots in most rooms. I always take my iPad Mini to school and I have taken my MacBook Pro to school several times, mostly for downloaded huge updates.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Wish I was in ‘Straya. We went back to shool after Christmas break. And we don’t get off again until March (spring break, but I feel the name is biased towards the northern hemisphere).

Students can bring their own devices, but the rules are incredibly vague. Some teachers don't care as long as you're paying attention; others will confiscate immediately. Bringing your own computer is a bit overboard (and I doubt it's even allowed) - I've only seen one student do it. Most students bring their MP3s or phones only to have them confiscated if they get them out in class.

We rarely go to the computer lab, but we do have computer classes. Each one of our classes lasts ~50 minutes, so you can get something done. I have 3 computer classes this semester. Beat that!

When you first log on to a computer under your account, it takes HOURS to load. But after that, you're usually okay and it rarely takes more than 10 seconds. But if you have to switch computers, expect for the huge time it takes to load again.

Our passwords are not 3 letters long, but they are very insecure, and you are not allowed to change them. They're all $(your first and last initials)(5-digit-long student id number). So our passwords are like $xx12345. And when some teachers do their attendence, they shine on the projector their official attendance sheet, which has each student's name and next to it - their id number! It is ridiculously easy to get hacked by another student. All they need is your id number. Thank god almost no one looks at those and they are too busy chatting to care. And logging into another student's account is not allowed anyways, but it has been done.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Feb. 1, 2015 14:01:36)

GyroscopeBill
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

At our school, people can bring any devices they want, but at your own risk. Kindles seem to be quite popular, probably because you have to bring in a book or an e-reader for 5mins reading at the start of English. There's WiFi all round the school, and the password changes every day so they put a posterup saying what it is, and everyone crowds round to set their devices.

Pingu is learning about politics with this amazing project.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

GyroscopeBill wrote:

At our school, people can bring any devices they want, but at your own risk. Kindles seem to be quite popular, probably because you have to bring in a book or an e-reader for 5mins reading at the start of English. There's WiFi all round the school, and the password changes every day so they put a posterup saying what it is, and everyone crowds round to set their devices.
They don't even do that at my school. No one knows the password - it is not announced.

Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

GyroscopeBill wrote:

They don't even do that at my school. No one knows the password - it is not announced.
No one's supposed to know the password at my school but somehow most people know. Probably because sometimes the teachers have to enter the password in front of us. They tell us not to look but inevitably some do.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

Deerleg wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

GyroscopeBill wrote:

No one's supposed to know the password at my school but somehow most people know. Probably because sometimes the teachers have to enter the password in front of us. They tell us not to look but inevitably some do.
Wow. Our school has an internet and wifi. Teachers use the internet.

Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

turkey3_test wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

My school uses Lenovo ThinkCentre computers (used to be IBM years ago). They have Intel Pentium processors and I think 4GB of RAM. I can't remember what all the specs are. We access the internet through a proxy server which filters inappropriate content, forums (excluding some educational forums such as Scratch), social networks (excluding Google+, not sure why), streaming, anything to do with hacking. The network firewall also blocks most ports. The cool thing is that now that I started year 11, they have unblocked some sites such as YouTube.
The most updated computers have Windows 7 Enterprise, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, Audacity, the latest Adobe CS, and many other useful programs installed. We can't run anything that must be run as administrator. Chrome doesn't require admin, so I usually install it on computers I use.

Last year, I got to help the IT person setup new computers, install the Windows image from the network, take out the old computers from the library, put in the new ones, connect them to the domain, etc. It was pretty fun, except when I had to help carry the computers (3 at a time) in boxes.
I always wondered how schools connect to a domain and logon to any computer with your username and password. Do they run some third party software or does Windows have this built in?

Can confirm that Windows has this built in, but only on Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise/Business versions. I have set up a domain server before for home, but in all honesty for smaller networks it is not worth the maintenance.
GeoWolf
Scratcher
5 posts

School Computers

Our class has Dell Windows 7, and a few XP's, which everyone tries to avoid getting. =P

Never believe the truth.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

School Computers

GeoWolf wrote:

Our class has Dell Windows 7, and a few XP's, which everyone tries to avoid getting. =P
We got rid of all of our XPs a few months ago.

GeoWolf
Scratcher
5 posts

School Computers

TheHockeyist wrote:

GeoWolf wrote:

I hate all Windows computers anyway, I have Linux, which IMO, is the best OS.

Never believe the truth.
Zeusking19
Scratcher
500+ posts

School Computers

GeoWolf wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

GeoWolf wrote:

I hate all Windows computers anyway, I have Linux, which IMO, is the best OS.

*cough*linux masterrace*cough*

Anyhoo, CC4 is terrible, it stops you from right clicking, changing desktop backgrounds, it even cuts down your start menu.