Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]
DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

This is basically just a version of Bizhawk that's based on Scratch instead of C++

Mod's Protogen Maker v2 released. I will update it when I will update it
country_kid
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

DifferentDance8 wrote:

This is basically just a version of Bizhawk that's based on Scratch instead of C++
Idk I'm pretty sure you could consider MAME an emulator collection as well.

Last edited by country_kid (March 30, 2023 11:41:59)

:0 -*gasp*
his name is Bob the Evil Kumquat…
he is gasping
because I ate the signature.
when green flag clicked
if <gamedeveloper> then
Make [ Game]
end
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

I know but this is still impressive for being a Scratch project of all things

Comix_2
Professional Idiot by day, nerdy Forumer by night

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see
Is violence in movies and * on TV

But where are those good old fashion values
On which we used to rely!
Lucky, there's a Family Guy!
Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,
All the things that make us

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The SI8080 CPU is now complete! TST8080.COM, 8080PRE.COM, and ver80.COM all run correctly!

It's taken a lot of work to get to this point, and I'm very happy with the results so far. More work on interrupts is needed to get Space Invaders and 8080EXER running correctly.

With the CPU out of the way, I can finally start working on some other components of SI8080, like making a GUI, adding support for more CP/M BDOS calls (like terminal input), and improving performance.
I'm hoping to make this a very intuitive to use 8080 emulator.
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Welcome to the new SI8080 menu!

This menu is very quick and easy to use. Once you've imported your desired 8080 software into Wave, just boot up SI8080 and click on one of the three preset options. The first two options will set up the Starting address, mode, and I/O devices automatically. You can also select the classic startup dialogue (the way it's setup in V0.9.13) by clicking “Manual Setup”.

The way the emulator looks during execution has also changed too, (the logs don't appear unless the program CALLs to 0 like it does here) with the background being changed to black to make the text stand out more and the addition of an FPS counter at the bottom of the screen.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Welcome to the new SI8080 menu!

This menu is very quick and easy to use. Once you've imported your desired 8080 software into Wave, just boot up SI8080 and click on one of the three preset options. The first two options will set up the Starting address, mode, and I/O devices automatically. You can also select the classic startup dialogue (the way it's setup in V0.9.13) by clicking “Manual Setup”.

The way the emulator looks during execution has also changed too, (the logs don't appear unless the program CALLs to 0 like it does here) with the background being changed to black to make the text stand out more and the addition of an FPS counter at the bottom of the screen.
The SI8080 UI looks really good!

Comix_2

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Nice

We have 2 members, @bubalo1234 and @Alphabhet !

(°˅°)::sensing//This is my bird. Bird protects me from kumquats.

Hello! Please visit my blog (I post comics): https://lafunbug.blogspot.com

… RIP WHALECAT:
Please support Whalecat Studio and it's projects: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/513335/?page=1#post-5227210
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Recently, my focus has been on optimizing and polishing emulators and other portions of Wave I don’t touch very often, such as Cool NES, Bytepusher, and the menu animations. I just fixed an issue with the NES apu list not being initialized properly which led it to tack on 10 entries to the list “apu” every time Cool NES was started- the list got all the way to 190 entries over time before I set it to only have 11 entries as intended. This also has made audio playback more stable.

There is now a fade out sequence for the black screen that appears when emulators are launched- each emulator can choose when the fade out occurs, which allows for things like the SI8080 GUI to properly initialize without having any visible pop-in by only fading out once everything’s ready. This fadeout replaces a redundant bit of code that dates all the way back to V0.1 where an “unneeded broadcast” that’s the actual name of the message would essentially try to make the black screen fade in more by continuing to reduce the ghost effect after it was already 0.

There’s also a bunch of new small optimizations, such as swapping out
(() + (0))
for
(round ())
when doing decimal conversion as it is slightly faster in vanilla scratch due to only having one argument.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Recently, my focus has been on optimizing and polishing emulators and other portions of Wave I don’t touch very often, such as Cool NES, Bytepusher, and the menu animations. I just fixed an issue with the NES apu list not being initialized properly which led it to tack on 10 entries to the list “apu” every time Cool NES was started- the list got all the way to 190 entries over time before I set it to only have 11 entries as intended. This also has made audio playback more stable.

There is now a fade out sequence for the black screen that appears when emulators are launched- each emulator can choose when the fade out occurs, which allows for things like the SI8080 GUI to properly initialize without having any visible pop-in by only fading out once everything’s ready. This fadeout replaces a redundant bit of code that dates all the way back to V0.1 where an “unneeded broadcast” that’s the actual name of the message would essentially try to make the black screen fade in more by continuing to reduce the ghost effect after it was already 0.

There’s also a bunch of new small optimizations, such as swapping out
(() + (0))
for
(round ())
when doing decimal conversion as it is slightly faster in vanilla scratch due to only having one argument.
V1.0 - The optimization update

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Space Invaders now displays the title screen correctly!

…It breaks the second the demo starts or when you insert a coin, but progress is progress!

The FPS counter is also counting frames correctly now (previously the FPS counter was counting roughly 1/5th of the actual framerate), and thanks to Kouzeru adding partial refresh to the renderer, Space Invaders now officially runs too fast! I've gotten over 333 FPS on my desktop and 55-70 fps on my laptop in Turbowarp, so I'll have to find a way to cap the framerate.

I've also fixed input among many other things.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

…It breaks the second the demo starts or when you insert a coin, but progress is progress!

The FPS counter is also counting frames correctly now (previously the FPS counter was counting roughly 1/5th of the actual framerate), and thanks to Kouzeru adding partial refresh to the renderer, Space Invaders now officially runs too fast! I've gotten over 333 FPS on my desktop and 55-70 fps on my laptop in Turbowarp, so I'll have to find a way to cap the framerate.

I think TurboWarp has a custom FPS feature

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

I think TurboWarp has a custom FPS feature
It’s already set to 60 fps in turbowarp. That doesn’t properly cap the speed on its own.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
ScratchcatandGobo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wow! A whole bunch of work has been done since I was on.

Yeah, but at least we've learned something today… that every moment of our life should be lived to the fullest because it can be very long or very short, my friend. - Gumball
I felt like I wanted to develop games on here, so I won't leave! (for now)
(last edited 2/8/24)

oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I fixed interrupts (i forgot to increment pc by 1 before calling RST), and now space invaders looks a fair bit better- minus the artifacts the attract screen works!
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wave is Scratch's Retroarch

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
TCV2
New to Scratch
60 posts

725 FPS… Huh… Huh… Hmm……
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TCV2 wrote:

725 FPS… Huh… Huh… Hmm……
SI8080 can indeed reach those speeds on a fast enough device- on my desktop (ryzen 7700x, 32GB DDR5 RAM, GTX 1070 Ti) i can hit 667-999 fps in turbowarp.
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

All that difficulty because I was incrementing PC by 2 during RST when i shouldn't have been incrementing it at all. I'm happy to report that Space Invaders is now fully playable in SI8080!
The only obvious issue I can find is that instead of the correct alien movement sounds playing during gameplay, the player explode sound plays almost every frame- there also seems to be a slight cosmetic bug with the bullets as seen here.
TCV2
New to Scratch
60 posts

oxiti8 wrote:

TCV2 wrote:

725 FPS… Huh… Huh… Hmm……
SI8080 can indeed reach those speeds on a fast enough device- on my desktop (ryzen 7700x, 32GB DDR5 RAM, GTX 1070 Ti) i can hit 667-999 fps in turbowarp.
Huh, is over 1000 fps normal. There was a point where it got to 1001 fps and my device just crashed. And when I booted it again, it never even got up like 400 or 450 fps.
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]