Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

I made a new logo for the Game Boy emu, what do you think?

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/798351469/

That looks pretty good, but I'm not sure how well it would mesh with the rest of the Executec/Super 7X emulator icons in terms of style. I do like that it depicts the console like the GBA and NDS icons.

Do you have any ideas for the other icons?
I have an idea for the GBA logo having a more detailed design, I haven't worked on it yet because GBA's are hard to draw

Comix_2
Professional Idiot by day, nerdy Forumer by night

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see
Is violence in movies and * on TV

But where are those good old fashion values
On which we used to rely!
Lucky, there's a Family Guy!
Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,
All the things that make us

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

I tried to boot Pokemon Red on the DualGB emulator and it didn't work, it's just a black screen.

I use MacOS, Safari, and I have 16 gigabytes ram. (idk how to do the paste system specs thing) and I got my ROM from the first thing that showed up when I googled “pokemon red rom” and I used the convert to hex. (I know it downloaded as a zip but I unzipped it first removed the readme.html then converted it.) so uhh idk can anyone help? or maybe the rom just didn't work so could anyone send like idk a bad apple rom so I can see if it works?

We have 2 members, @bubalo1234 and @Alphabhet !

(°˅°)::sensing//This is my bird. Bird protects me from kumquats.

Hello! Please visit my blog (I post comics): https://lafunbug.blogspot.com

… RIP WHALECAT:
Please support Whalecat Studio and it's projects: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/513335/?page=1#post-5227210
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

I tried to boot Pokemon Red on the DualGB emulator and it didn't work, it's just a black screen.

I use MacOS, Safari, and I have 16 gigabytes ram. (idk how to do the paste system specs thing) and I got my ROM from the first thing that showed up when I googled “pokemon red rom” and I used the convert to hex. (I know it downloaded as a zip but I unzipped it first removed the readme.html then converted it.) so uhh idk can anyone help? or maybe the rom just didn't work so could anyone send like idk a bad apple rom so I can see if it works?
I think it's either your rom or your browser. Pokemon red boots fine for me on firefox (Note: Wave runs best on chromium-based browsers like Chrome or Edge)

my computer is fast enough to make the fps counter not work correctly but it's hitting 60FPS here

Make sure your rom is a .gb file and not one of those fake .exe's ive seen floating around occasionally.

Last edited by oxiti8 (Feb. 25, 2023 21:55:54)

country_kid
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

I think it's either your rom or your browser. Pokemon red boots fine for me on firefox (Note: Wave runs best on chromium-based browsers like Chrome or Edge)

my computer is fast enough to make the fps counter not work correctly but it's hitting 60FPS here

Make sure your rom is a .gb file and not one of those fake .exe's ive seen floating around occasionally.
pro tip: The Gameboy has a variant of the Z80
Your computer doesn't

they are not the same.

Last edited by country_kid (Feb. 25, 2023 22:07:28)

:0 -*gasp*
his name is Bob the Evil Kumquat…
he is gasping
because I ate the signature.
when green flag clicked
if <gamedeveloper> then
Make [ Game]
end
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

It’s most likely a recreation of Pokémon red because .GB files don’t need a README file. It could also be for a specific console or computer

Comix_2

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

It’s most likely a recreation of Pokémon red because .GB files don’t need a README file. It could also be for a specific console or computer
that's not the case. i found the rom in question and it just comes with a link to the rom's origin website.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

that's not the case. i found the rom in question and it just comes with a link to the rom's origin website.
Ah. I thought it was a tutorial about how to get the ROM working

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

My rom is a .gb file. I tested it on chrome and it still doesnt work.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I go to the “Import Rom” option then I select the gameboy one and paste my rom and wait until it unfreezes, then I select the check on the right and it goes to black screen.

Last edited by bubalo1234 (Feb. 26, 2023 00:08:51)

… RIP WHALECAT:
Please support Whalecat Studio and it's projects: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/513335/?page=1#post-5227210
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

The rom appears to be fine. Make *sure* your hex input doesn't have any newlines, 0x, commas, or spaces. that rom name looks wrong.

Last edited by oxiti8 (Feb. 26, 2023 00:12:27)

bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

The rom appears to be fine. I don't know what to say except try out turbowarp's standalone player and see if that works, or don't use a mac.
what's turbowarp's standalone player? also the only device that isnt apple-made in my family is my mom's Lenovo laptop that turns the fan on when I'm using a single tab in Firefox. so yeah, not that great.

… RIP WHALECAT:
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

The rom appears to be fine. I don't know what to say except try out turbowarp's standalone player and see if that works, or don't use a mac.
what's turbowarp's standalone player? also the only device that isnt apple-made in my family is my mom's Lenovo laptop that turns the fan on when I'm using a single tab in Firefox. so yeah, not that great.
read the edited post- your hex is probably formatted wrong

Good formatting: “5A0078FF”
Bad formatting: “0x5a, 0x00, 0x78, 0xFF”

Last edited by oxiti8 (Feb. 26, 2023 00:15:53)

bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

OOOH mine does have spaces and newlines. thanks, I'll get rid of those and see if that works.

It works!!! thanks!

Last edited by bubalo1234 (Feb. 26, 2023 00:18:08)

… RIP WHALECAT:
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

<snip>

OOOH mine does have spaces and newlines. thanks, I'll get rid of those and see if that works.

It works!!! thanks!
The reason i didn't think of this initially is because pretty much all the other emulators handle commas and 0x importing automatically (newlines are not handled), but since dualGB has its own importer script separate from the main ones i didn't modify it to catch 0x and commas. I'll fix this in wave V0.9.11.

DualGB is likely going to be completely replaced in V1.0
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

V0.9.11 is out. I've added support for 0x and commas in the dualgb importer (although for larger roms you really should filter your hex as it eats a lot less ram without the 0x and commas), and also made improvements to the terminal display for SI8080 that removes some of the garbage text.
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

V0.9.11 is out. I've added support for 0x and commas in the dualgb importer (although for larger roms you really should filter your hex as it eats a lot less ram without the 0x and commas), and also made improvements to the terminal display for SI8080 that removes some of the garbage text.
Great! also I was trying to convert a larger Rom (about like 8 mb) but the tool took so long, now I have a 24 mb rom so do you have any tool that doesn't crash my browser?

Also another thing, will you ever add saving?

… RIP WHALECAT:
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Great! also I was trying to convert a larger Rom (about like 8 mb) but the tool took so long, now I have a 24 mb rom so do you have any tool that doesn't crash my browser?

The DS Emulator doesn't run any retail roms at the moment- and there's not much I can do about getting massive strings to not crash your browser unfortunately.

Saving is tricky- I don't know all that much about how GB and NES saving works outside of the fact that most games use SRAM if they support saving at all, but I do know that the only way to do it without scratch mods would be to copy some kind of really long string or have the user click see inside and export a list with your data inside of it- this inherent impracticality hasn't really encouraged me to try to add saving support to WAVE. I've considered adding savestates but that still has the same impracticality of scratch having no file i/o.
DualGB will also not be receiving any big feature updates like saving as it's likely going to be replaced in the next major version with a newer GB emulator.
In WAVE-8 you can export the RPL flags and import them manually upon booting a rom for the select SCHIP titles that use the RPL flags to save.

Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

The DS Emulator doesn't run any retail roms at the moment- and there's not much I can do about getting massive strings to not crash your browser unfortunately.

Saving is tricky- I don't know all that much about how GB and NES saving works outside of the fact that most games use SRAM if they support saving at all, but I do know that the only way to do it without scratch mods would be to copy some kind of really long string or have the user click see inside and export a list with your data inside of it- this inherent impracticality hasn't really encouraged me to try to add saving support to WAVE. I've considered adding savestates but that still has the same impracticality of scratch having no file i/o.
DualGB will also not be receiving any big feature updates like saving as it's likely going to be replaced in the next major version with a newer GB emulator.
In WAVE-8 you can export the RPL flags and import them manually upon booting a rom for the select SCHIP titles that use the RPL flags to save.

I feel like DS emulation in scratch will probably never work, I’ve used DS web emulators before and almost all of them are laggy and crash often. So trying to do that in an already limited programming language will most likely never amount to anything.

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

I feel like DS emulation in scratch will probably never work, I’ve used DS web emulators before and almost all of them are laggy and crash often. So trying to do that in an already limited programming language will most likely never amount to anything.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it will never be playable- even in the minimal state that the emulator is in, it only gets 1 FPS in turbowarp when running TinyFB. It's a cool proof of concept, but not a viable solution for playing ds games.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it will never be playable- even in the minimal state that the emulator is in, it only gets 1 FPS in turbowarp when running TinyFB. It's a cool proof of concept, but not a viable solution for playing ds games.
Yeah. I feel like this is probably the closest people can get to playing DS games in Scratch. But I think GBA is possible

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

<snip

Yeah. I feel like this is probably the closest people can get to playing DS games in Scratch. But I think GBA is possible
the GBA probably is. It's just a bit up from the GBC and I've played a few emulators for it that barely strain my computer.

… RIP WHALECAT:
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]