Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

bubalo1234 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

<snip
The DS Emulator doesn't run any retail roms at the moment- and there's not much I can do about getting massive strings to not crash your browser unfortunately.

Saving is tricky- I don't know all that much about how GB and NES saving works outside of the fact that most games use SRAM if they support saving at all, but I do know that the only way to do it without scratch mods would be to copy some kind of really long string or have the user click see inside and export a list with your data inside of it- this inherent impracticality hasn't really encouraged me to try to add saving support to WAVE. I've considered adding savestates but that still has the same impracticality of scratch having no file i/o.
DualGB will also not be receiving any big feature updates like saving as it's likely going to be replaced in the next major version with a newer GB emulator.
In WAVE-8 you can export the RPL flags and import them manually upon booting a rom for the select SCHIP titles that use the RPL flags to save.

I feel like DS emulation in scratch will probably never work, I’ve used DS web emulators before and almost all of them are laggy and crash often. So trying to do that in an already limited programming language will most likely never amount to anything.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it will never be playable- even in the minimal state that the emulator is in, it only gets 1 FPS in turbowarp when running TinyFB. It's a cool proof of concept, but not a viable solution for playing ds games.
Yeah. I feel like this is probably the closest people can get to playing DS games in Scratch. But I think GBA is possible
the GBA probably is. It's just a bit up from the GBC and I've played a few emulators for it that barely strain my computer.
GBA is not “a bit up” from the GBC. It's a whole new architecture running a 32-bit arm processor with enough complexity to bring something like a PS Vita to its knees. While it's less strenuous than DS and is certainly possible, I doubt full-speed GBA is possible even with turbowarp.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now!

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

<snip
The DS Emulator doesn't run any retail roms at the moment- and there's not much I can do about getting massive strings to not crash your browser unfortunately.

Saving is tricky- I don't know all that much about how GB and NES saving works outside of the fact that most games use SRAM if they support saving at all, but I do know that the only way to do it without scratch mods would be to copy some kind of really long string or have the user click see inside and export a list with your data inside of it- this inherent impracticality hasn't really encouraged me to try to add saving support to WAVE. I've considered adding savestates but that still has the same impracticality of scratch having no file i/o.
DualGB will also not be receiving any big feature updates like saving as it's likely going to be replaced in the next major version with a newer GB emulator.
In WAVE-8 you can export the RPL flags and import them manually upon booting a rom for the select SCHIP titles that use the RPL flags to save.

I feel like DS emulation in scratch will probably never work, I’ve used DS web emulators before and almost all of them are laggy and crash often. So trying to do that in an already limited programming language will most likely never amount to anything.
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but it will never be playable- even in the minimal state that the emulator is in, it only gets 1 FPS in turbowarp when running TinyFB. It's a cool proof of concept, but not a viable solution for playing ds games.
Yeah. I feel like this is probably the closest people can get to playing DS games in Scratch. But I think GBA is possible
the GBA probably is. It's just a bit up from the GBC and I've played a few emulators for it that barely strain my computer.
GBA is not “a bit up” from the GBC. It's a whole new architecture running a 32-bit arm processor with enough complexity to bring something like a PS Vita to its knees. While it's less strenuous than DS and is certainly possible, I doubt full-speed GBA is possible even with turbowarp.
GBA is comparable to a PS1 or a Virtual Boy, so while GBA emulation *could* be possible, it just will be very laggy and bring lower-end devices to their knees.

Comix_2
Professional Idiot by day, nerdy Forumer by night

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see
Is violence in movies and * on TV

But where are those good old fashion values
On which we used to rely!
Lucky, there's a Family Guy!
Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,
All the things that make us

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
country_kid
Scratcher
100+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

<snip

It may have GBC hardware in it, but that's really only for GBC/GB compatibility only, other than the PSG chip's usage in GBA games.

:0 -*gasp*
his name is Bob the Evil Kumquat…
he is gasping
because I ate the signature.
when green flag clicked
if <gamedeveloper> then
Make [ Game]
end
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

V0.9.12 - a lot of bugfixes

I've just made a bunch of small improvements to WAVE-8 and SI8080. Here are the patch notes:

WAVE-8: fixed SF2091! fix to actually fix SF2091!, changed FX1E overflow point from 0xFFFF to 0xFFF. SI8080: fixed MOV memory to register function, added more info to debug logs, which now appear upon CP/M jump errors. AC flag and DAA support have now been added.

I've finally gotten around to implementing the last 8080 instruction, DAA, and the Auxiliary Carry (also known as Half Carry) flag required for it. This means that it shouldn't have any issues with running the various CP/M programs that make use of that instruction once I iron out some more CPU bugs. I've also upgraded the debug logs to include the state of the registers upon each opcode execution, show MOV info, and show the correct PC (previously it was off by one). The flags are now also visible on the right side of the screen.

These changes might not amount to too much on their own, but they should make the other issues with SI8080 quicker to diagnose. It'll also make it a lot easier to share any issues you encounter in SI8080 when running CP/M programs, as the debug logs now appear upon a jump to 0.
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Wow but how do i import a rom to the gba emulator? it wants base64, i give it base64, it doesnt work?

We have 2 members, @bubalo1234 and @Alphabhet !

(°˅°)::sensing//This is my bird. Bird protects me from kumquats.

Hello! Please visit my blog (I post comics): https://lafunbug.blogspot.com

… RIP WHALECAT:
Please support Whalecat Studio and it's projects: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/513335/?page=1#post-5227210
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bubalo1234 wrote:

Wow but how do i import a rom to the gba emulator? it wants base64, i give it base64, it doesnt work?
The GBA Emulator dosen't run any retail roms at the moment

Comix_2

NG: ThatOneGuy9623 | YouTube | Profile | Pretendo: 2935-7517-5545 | Nintendo Network: 3497-6286-7233

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Since I've lost track of how many people have asked me how to run stuff on gba and the fact that the emulator used will likely never be finished, I'm going to be removing it entirely in V1.0- I feel like people expect more of it than what it is.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Since I've lost track of how many people have asked me how to run stuff on gba and the fact that the emulator used will likely never be finished, I'm going to be removing it entirely in V1.0- I feel like people expect more of it than what it is.
By that logic, you might as well remove the DS emulator too

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

By that logic, you might as well remove the DS emulator too
DS works a bit more than the GBA emulator
bubalo1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

bubalo1234 wrote:

The GBA Emulator dosen't run any retail roms at the moment
oh ok

We have 2 members, @bubalo1234 and @Alphabhet !

(°˅°)::sensing//This is my bird. Bird protects me from kumquats.

Hello! Please visit my blog (I post comics): https://lafunbug.blogspot.com

… RIP WHALECAT:
Please support Whalecat Studio and it's projects: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/513335/?page=1#post-5227210
DifferentDance8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BRB, gonna make a python script that turns a ROM into Base64 text specifically designed for this project.

Mod's Protogen Maker v2 released. I will update it when I will update it
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

BRB, gonna make a python script that turns a ROM into Base64 text specifically designed for this project.
… That already exists and it is linked in the Project description

http://tomeko.net/online_tools/file_to_hex.php

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DifferentDance8 wrote:

I mean the GBA emulator is the only emulator Base64 is used for and that's getting removed- hex conversion will be the standard going forwards
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm going to be doing a github release for V0.9.13 soon, probably within the next couple days.

Progress on V1.0 is underway.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

I'm going to be doing a github release for V0.9.13 soon, probably within the next couple days.

What are some of the new features/bugfixes in release 1.0?

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Here's what's planned so far:

- finish 4 plane/16 color support for WAVE-8
- get SI8080 running Space Invaders and passing the various 8080 tests
- replace DualGB with new gameboy emulator by 52525rr
- remove GBA emulator (done)
- add more advanced options in UHWEI (ex. user configurable CHIP-8 palettes, ability to use the now unused base64 importer for WAVE-8/Bytepusher/SI8080)
- thorough testing to make sure everything works before release

More information will come as development progresses.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

- add more advanced options in UHWEI (ex. user configurable CHIP-8 palettes, ability to use the now unused base64 importer for WAVE-8/Bytepusher/SI8080)

will the new GameBoy Emulator support both GB and GBC?

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

Comix_2 wrote:

oxiti8 wrote:

will the new GameBoy Emulator support both GB and GBC?
It does support both, yes. It runs considerably faster than DualGB does as well.
oxiti8
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WAVE-8's UI is getting an update in V1.0! I've separated the clipping/wrapping settings from the Compatibility Mode into its own separate toggle, allowing you to choose either clipping or wrapping in any compatibility mode (as opposed to only having wrapping in Octo mode and clipping everywhere else). it has taken SF2091! fix's space, with that quirk now being relegated to the n key instead of 9.

Clipping has also received a fix, fixing an off-by-one error that caused a single column of pixels to wrap around to the other side of the screen when there should be none.

the SF2091! fix also activates automatically now like it used to a few versions now, except it doesn't reactivate upon every reset like it used to allowing you to see the difference between having it on and off.
Comix_2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

oxiti8 wrote:

WAVE-8's UI is getting an update in V1.0! I've separated the clipping/wrapping settings from the Compatibility Mode into its own separate toggle, allowing you to choose either clipping or wrapping in any compatibility mode (as opposed to only having wrapping in Octo mode and clipping everywhere else). it has taken SF2091! fix's space, with that quirk now being relegated to the n key instead of 9.

Clipping has also received a fix, fixing an off-by-one error that caused a single column of pixels to wrap around to the other side of the screen when there should be none.

the SF2091! fix also activates automatically now like it used to a few versions now, except it doesn't reactivate upon every reset like it used to allowing you to see the difference between having it on and off.
The new UI looks really good

Comix_2

It seems today
That all you see

Lucky there's a man who,
positively can do,

Laugh and cry!

He's a Family Guy!
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Advanced Topics
  • » Wave Multi-Emulator Collaboration- Emulating CHIP-8, GBC, NES, NDS, Intel 8080, and more all in one Scratch Project. - V1.1.0 out now! [RSS Feed]