Discuss Scratch

Roblox888i
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

MagicCoder330 wrote:

We should just change it to Scratch.Edu, because schools are suspicious of .org and may start blocking it.
Yeah.

Below this little line ^ is my signature, you can edit it by going to scratch.mit.edu/discuss/settings/YOURUSERHERE/ also highlight a part and do CNTRL+SHIFT+DOWN to scroll down.

Roblox888i
===========================================================================================================
| Ocular Profile | Scratch Profile | ScratchStats Profile | Github Profile |
=================================
| | Scratch Wiki Profile | |
===========================================================================================================

REST OF SIGNATURE NOT DONE
GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

MagicCoder330 wrote:

We should just change it to Scratch.Edu, because schools are suspicious of .org and may start blocking it.
Scratch legally can’t buy a .edu domain.
They would have to make an institution.

7salad3salad wrote:

I don't see a point in doing this right now. I think most people are used to what it is (including myself). I have no clue how easy it is to actually change domains of an entire website the size of Scratch though, so i can't exactly judge this based upon how difficult it would be.
It is fairly easy. It’s as simple as updating it in the public WHOIS and letting it sync.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
YouTuber, culinary enthusiast, computer scientist, programmer, Engineer, electric enthusiast, legal aficionado, etc
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch is already getting blocked in several different school districts anyway, so there really aren't anymore options…

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

BlauHourglass
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Downvote. Scratch is literally created by MIT. And besides, it'll just bring more confusion…

。 ゚。⋆☾ Did I ask? ☽ ⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ But sleep's a part of the job, y'know. ☽ ⋆。 ゚☁︎。 ⋆。 ゚☾ If everyone were smart, no one would be. ☽ ⋆。 ゚。
——
Retired founder of Soundwave Productions click me, fufu~
Co-owner of The Glow Shop click me, fufu~
Co-owner of Ville de L'Art click me, fufu~
——
ı|ı|ı Script SWC July '24 ı|ı|ı
♕ Classical SSC May '24 ♕
⸙ Epistolary SWC March '24 ⸙
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BlauHourglass wrote:

(#284)
Downvote. Scratch is literally created by MIT. And besides, it'll just bring more confusion…
Schools are mistakenly blocking Scratch thinking that it's a social media website, or something in general.

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

BlauHourglass wrote:

Nope.
They broke off from MIT 6 years ago.

YouTuber, culinary enthusiast, computer scientist, programmer, Engineer, electric enthusiast, legal aficionado, etc
han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

leahcimto wrote:

You all clearly are illiterate and have not read this post at all. .edu is not a domain for education sites!! Scratch is NOT affiliated with MIT! Schools do NOT block websites that aren’t .edu domains and especially websites that are clearly educational and may be used! LINKS WILL REDIRECT!

Clear?
Your points are correct, but why make an unnecessary change? Yes, they’re not currently affiliated with MIT, but that’s where their original roots are.

As much as you say it’s not, edu domains are more trusted than org, and why make a change that may make parents/teachers/anyone not trust it more?

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6000+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

leahcimto
Scratcher
1000+ posts

han614698 wrote:

leahcimto wrote:

You all clearly are illiterate and have not read this post at all. .edu is not a domain for education sites!! Scratch is NOT affiliated with MIT! Schools do NOT block websites that aren’t .edu domains and especially websites that are clearly educational and may be used! LINKS WILL REDIRECT!

Clear?
Your points are correct, but why make an unnecessary change? Yes, they’re not currently affiliated with MIT, but that’s where their original roots are.

As much as you say it’s not, edu domains are more trusted than org, and why make a change that may make parents/teachers/anyone not trust it more?
Scratch is such a large website with so many users, schools won’t trust it any lest. School monitoring software usually has an automatic whitelist for all schools. Scratch would be on it. Parents would figure it out, there could be a page explaining if that was really a problem (but since scratch.mit.edu would redirect to scratch.org I’m not sure that would be a concern)

Scratch.org is such a better domain than scratch.mit.edu which is longer and harder to remember. Many young kids are familiar with the org TLD and may not have seen the edu TLD before.
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

At least use scratch.edu

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
MythosLore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

At least use scratch.edu
They can't buy a .edu domain without being a college or something.
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MythosLore wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

At least use scratch.edu
Then how do they have .mit.edu

! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

leahcimto wrote:

han614698 wrote:

Scratch is such a large website with so many users, schools won’t trust it any lest. School monitoring software usually has an automatic whitelist for all schools. Scratch would be on it. Parents would figure it out, there could be a page explaining if that was really a problem (but since scratch.mit.edu would redirect to scratch.org I’m not sure that would be a concern)

Scratch.org is such a better domain than scratch.mit.edu which is longer and harder to remember. Many young kids are familiar with the org TLD and may not have seen the edu TLD before.
My school district does not have a white list, they contract with a company that censors certain topics. The only way to “whitelist” a certain website is to provide a very specific pathway to it (which takes hours). I have heard about/seen this process as my dad manages all the software for our school district. It’s not easy. Some users have already complained the Scratch Wiki is blocked as well, so you think this wouldn’t be?

I have never, in my entire life, heard someone even think about the edu TLD being sketchy/not trustworthy. I would like to stress that the org TLD is NOT sketchy or untrustworthy, but people are more likely to think it is. Scratch has been at .mit.edu for almost two decades, and never once have I heard that as a problem to memorize.

But the length isn’t even an issue - scratch.org already redirects here. If users don’t want to remember scratch.mit.edu, then they can already remember scratch.org. Maybe the suggestion needs to be advertising the .org domain the ST already owns. I also feel like second graders (8yos) should be able to memorize a domain. I had my login and Scratch’s web address memorized as a 8 year old. Besides that length point, why else would you want to change? Why risk losing people on your website, whether they’re there already here or not joining. It is true that I never heard anyone say they would leave Scratch if it became a .org, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t people that wouldn’t never join.

this was all typed on a phone…
wow I just wrote like a whole essay with transitions between paragraphs

Last edited by han614698 (March 14, 2024 02:12:11)

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6000+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

At least use scratch.edu
Because the domain they received from MIT is still available to them
mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

(#292)

MythosLore wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

At least use scratch.edu
MIT is the university where Scratch was created

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

At least use scratch.edu
Scratch itself ain't MIT.
It comes from a subsidiary(in a way) of MIT.
However, unless Scratch makes their own university, they can't get a .edu domain.

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Honestly, do we really NEED this..? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it yk

among_us1w2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

it's broke

dont just say “dont ban evade” or “wrong topic” for a question. answer it, and THEN tell them that this is the wrong topic or not to ban evade. giving just “rejected” and putting the college essay that is TOLORS is not enough. Explain! dont just use ctrl-c ctrl-v! even if it is not what some people want, explain the rejection! answer the question! the forums are not a place to repeat others, they are a place to innovate! anyway who wants to minimod?

scratchers on the forums from 10-500 posts have at most, a 7 short sentence span for replies. if you cant keep your posts in this range, then dont act suprised when someone asks for simplified version
bag randomizer for good games
experience the true chicken nuggies theft simulator : gobo | story
(Removed by Moderator - People with a TV head for a profile picture cannot discuss about the heart and soul of art) /j
OwO :: #44bd8d
^-^ :: #44bd8d
hydrofungus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

among_us1w2 wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

it's broke
Except for .mit part what’s broke
And broke here means like not usable it’s not like scratch has gone haywire with the domain when scratch isn’t part of mit anymore

Remember kids, don’t eat batteries dipped in paint thinner and anti-freeze

hey, you can call me kyoo
I am a minor on the internet, who’s also apparently an artist and a coder
April 13th - Non-binary - Aroace - Any pronouns

I know Scratch and HTML, and I’ve been doing art for as long as I can remember.

enjoy this picture of Five from Glitch Techs :’)

among_us1w2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hydrofungus wrote:

among_us1w2 wrote:

starlightsparker wrote:

it's broke
And broke here means like not usable it’s not like scratch has gone haywire with the domain when scratch isn’t part of mit anymore
yes mit broke

dont just say “dont ban evade” or “wrong topic” for a question. answer it, and THEN tell them that this is the wrong topic or not to ban evade. giving just “rejected” and putting the college essay that is TOLORS is not enough. Explain! dont just use ctrl-c ctrl-v! even if it is not what some people want, explain the rejection! answer the question! the forums are not a place to repeat others, they are a place to innovate! anyway who wants to minimod?

scratchers on the forums from 10-500 posts have at most, a 7 short sentence span for replies. if you cant keep your posts in this range, then dont act suprised when someone asks for simplified version
bag randomizer for good games
experience the true chicken nuggies theft simulator : gobo | story
(Removed by Moderator - People with a TV head for a profile picture cannot discuss about the heart and soul of art) /j
OwO :: #44bd8d
^-^ :: #44bd8d
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

No support. scratch still works closely with MIT so its not a big deal that mit is there
Google donates a lot of money to Scratch, yet I don't think the domain is going to be scratch.google.com any time soon. Just saying

starlightsparker wrote:

and edu declairs that it IS an educational program
No… it declares that Scratch is owned by a university… which it isn't.

starlightsparker wrote:

also, maybe its just me but .org sounds kinda sus
i dunno i feel like alot of virus websites use that domain.. and lots of schools auto-block that domain
No. .ORG is the domain for organizations, blocking all .ORG domains is literally like blocking all .COM domains.

starlightsparker wrote:

so for the very last time..

if it aint broke dont fix it
This is the most non-argument ever. “If it ain't broke don't fix it.” Then why did Scratch Team, despite it not being broken, change the header color from blue to purple? Why did Scratch Team entirely change the way Scratch looks with 3.0, rather than continuing to support 2.0(ignoring Flash player)?
Whilst it's not broke. That doesn't mean you can't fix it.

MagicCoder330 wrote:

Schools are suspicious of .org?? I've never seen this claim outside of this topic.

MountY_Backup wrote:

No support. Scratch is a education website because of that, it obviously has the .edu domain.
I repeat. .EDU is for universities. Not educational apps.
Might as well add this to the bloody OP at this rate.

BlauHourglass wrote:

Scratch was created by MIT. But, as stated in the OP, Scratch Foundation is a separate entity.
Also, what do you mean it'll “just bring more confusion?” If anything, it'll take away confusion by not saying “we're owned by MIT.”

starlightsparker wrote:

A subdomain is different from a domain. MIT is able to give out .mit.edu domains at will.

starlightsparker wrote:

See my above response to when you said literally the exact same thing.

hydrofungus wrote:

Sure it's usable. But I'd rather have a domain that doesn't imply that Scratch is still owned by MIT.

Last edited by Steve0Greatness (March 25, 2024 05:58:19)

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs