Discuss Scratch

ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

coder_isaiyah11 wrote:

i want scratch to be in schools so no support

Tunde123 wrote:

No support. This would be a bad idea. If the domain is changed, schools will block the website. And scratch is educational, we do not want it to be blocked!

Why would changing the domain make schools block scratch??

Schools when the domain is mit.edu: calm
Schools when the domain is .org: Who are you?

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Every website might get blocked by schools, so why is that really a con?

Anyhow, this is too long. It would take up more characters in the comments, if they don't go with the link shortener option.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
Maximouse
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

scratch.scratchfoundation.org/legal=Pp
That isn't how good URLs are supposed to look like. https://scratch.mit.edu/privacy_policy is much better: it has a short domain name, the link is self-descriptive enough that you know what it's about before you click it, and the only delimiter is “/”, like on most websites.

This is Maximouse's signature. Learn more about signatures.
64lu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't really think this would be much of an issue because mit has been in the url for the entirety of the scratch website, yet MIT is barely mentioned anywhere.

plus, as other people have said, the domain name could be changed to scratch.org if there's a need to as Scratch already owns that
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

johnelr wrote:

Ihatr wrote:

One, I don't want this to be the URL. It's way too long.

Two, why not use the scratch.org domain? It's shorter, owned by the Scratch Team, and would better fit this.
More genius idea: scrat.ch
It's just Scratch but with a genius domain at the end. Not sure if the ch exists tho
.ch exists, it is the top-level domain for Switzerland. Scratch is not Swiss, so it doesn't really make sense for an American educational organization to use it.
Is bit.ly Libyan?

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

portalpower wrote:

no support, whenever I type s into duckduckgo google bad duckduckgo good it autofinishes to scratch.mit.edu I'm totally not on scratch too much so yeah
It's been like that for months for me

Futurebot5 wrote:

No support for scratch.org, it already directs you to the current domain.
Woah, cool!

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Is bit.ly Libyan?
No, but it's also a link shortener, so it makes sense to keep the link short. “scrat.ch” looks very silly for a regular website, in my opinion.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
64lu
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Is bit.ly Libyan?

Wikipedia Article on .ly wrote:

Many Libyan domains were reserved for English words that end with the suffix “ly”, such as name.ly, musical.ly (now TikTok) and sincere.ly – so-called domain hacks. As the annual fee for .ly domains remains high ($75 a year), many domain names remain available on the domain prime market, and some popular ones can be bought on the domain secondary market – the result of the domain name speculation.

Many popular URL shortening services are registered in the .ly domain: brief.ly, adf.ly, bit.ly (former default for Twitter), ow.ly (default for HootSuite), and 3.ly.
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Is bit.ly Libyan?
No, but it's also a link shortener, so it makes sense to keep the link short. “scrat.ch” looks very silly for a regular website, in my opinion.
Actually, that does sound a bit silly

64lu wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Is bit.ly Libyan?

Wikipedia Article on .ly wrote:

Many Libyan domains were reserved for English words that end with the suffix “ly”, such as name.ly, musical.ly (now TikTok) and sincere.ly – so-called domain hacks. As the annual fee for .ly domains remains high ($75 a year), many domain names remain available on the domain prime market, and some popular ones can be bought on the domain secondary market – the result of the domain name speculation.

Many popular URL shortening services are registered in the .ly domain: brief.ly, adf.ly, bit.ly (former default for Twitter), ow.ly (default for HootSuite), and 3.ly.
Ik, my point was that you don't have to be in Switzerland to use the .ch domain (I guess in theory)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Scratch.mit.edu is concise and expresses that it's a .edu domain, and part of MIT. No support.
Technically, Scratch is an Organization, it is also not part of MIT, but insead ScratchFoundation

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Scratch.mit.edu is concise and expresses that it's a .edu domain, and part of MIT. No support.
Technically, Scratch is an Organization, it is also not part of MIT, but insead ScratchFoundation
Well, this scratch.scratchfoundation.org mess isn't exactly very simple to write. I'd go for a simple scratch.org.. you can use that already anyways!

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

da_fin wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization
.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
The reason that it's .edu is that it's a subset of MIT.edu.
Yes, and the domain .mit.edu exist for example
win.mit.edu // It's not a school
ist.mit.edu // It's also not a school
kb.mit.edu // It's also not a school
  1. they're all subsets of MIT.edu
  2. do they look like they're now an organization?
  3. did you just put in random stuff?
No i got it on wikipedia

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

da_fin wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization
.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
The reason that it's .edu is that it's a subset of MIT.edu.
Yes, and the domain .mit.edu exist for example
win.mit.edu // It's not a school
ist.mit.edu // It's also not a school
kb.mit.edu // It's also not a school
  1. they're all subsets of MIT.edu
  2. do they look like they're now an organization?
  3. did you just put in random stuff?
No i got it on wikipedia
still, that doesn't help your point at all.

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
ForumHelperNanoPiex
Scratcher
500+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Well, this scratch.scratchfoundation.org mess isn't exactly very simple to write. I'd go for a simple scratch.org.. you can use that already anyways!
A kid's coding website vs. a banking website, might not end well, no offense meant.
l6w
Scratcher
16 posts

ForumHelperNanoPiex wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

A kid's coding website vs. a banking website, might not end well, no offense meant.
i dont see how a banking website applies here

hi
ForumHelperNanoPiex
Scratcher
500+ posts

l6w wrote:

ForumHelperNanoPiex wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

i dont see how a banking website applies here
scratch.org seems like a banking or accounting website.
Burgher1679
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Scratch still has links to MIT though, as I believe Scratch is hosted in MIT server rooms. Plus, that URL is too long and cumbersome. if Scratch were to change domains it'd most likely go to scratch.org, which Scratch fought a legal battle for ownership over it.

NanoPIex wrote:

No support. It's made by students at MIT. I think they want the credit.
It's not made by students at MIT.

Also, yay, we finally get to see the 2019 financial report!!
scratch is hosted by AWS

© 2020 - 2021 M-INDUSTRIES
Miao::#0000ff//Miao
Burgher1679
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i support for scratch.edu: it is waaaaaay too short

© 2020 - 2021 M-INDUSTRIES
Miao::#0000ff//Miao
ForumHelperNanoPiex
Scratcher
500+ posts

Burgher1679 wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Scratch still has links to MIT though, as I believe Scratch is hosted in MIT server rooms. Plus, that URL is too long and cumbersome. if Scratch were to change domains it'd most likely go to scratch.org, which Scratch fought a legal battle for ownership over it.

NanoPIex wrote:

No support. It's made by students at MIT. I think they want the credit.
It's not made by students at MIT.

Also, yay, we finally get to see the 2019 financial report!!
scratch is hosted by AWS
Then why is MIT in the domain?
Scratchy697
Scratcher
1000+ posts

no support, the mit.edu is already good enough for me, and this will probably harden out trying to search for things in scratch using google