Discuss Scratch

Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

Futurebot5 wrote:

No support for scratch.org, it already directs you to the current domain.
Considering Scratch owns the domain, they can easily set it up to host the pages instead of just being a redirect.

this is a link
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Futurebot5 wrote:

No support for scratch.org, it already directs you to the current domain.

They could update it to not redirect and instead be the main site.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Why?
1. Too long
2. Scratch is connected to M.I.T.
3. It would make sense to make the last domain .edu because Scratch is an educational platform

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long
3. It would make sense to make the last domain .edu because Scratch is an educational platform
  1. there are others that I put at the bottom
  2. not by much
  3. Scratchx.org, Scratchfoundation.org, Scratch.org. Are you see that? Scratch is an organization

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long

It was generally decided in the replies that the domain would be scratch.org or scratch.edu or something like that.
Actually, as said here:

fdreerf wrote:

Most of the employees are not affiliated with MIT at all. Most, if not all, of the moderators work from home, and the developers are hired because they can do a programming. Mitchel Resnick, the creator of Scratch, got his Ph.D. in MIT and is the director of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT, so that's why Scratch is associated with MIT – it was created there, but not be any students of MIT.
Scratch isn't really part of MIT anymore.
Not all educational sites end with .edu

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long
  2. not by much
  3. Scratchx.org, Scratchfoundation.org, Scratch.org. Are you see that? Scratch is an organization
Scratchx.org is for experimenting extensions, Scratchfoundation.org is for donating not for educational purposes and scratch.org is just a redirect to the scratch.mit.edu site. My points still stands.

pavcato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't think they will use scratch.com since they are an organization.

Ihatr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Scratchfoundation.org is for donating not for educational purposes
Scratchfoundation.org is actually not just a donation website, it's the official website for the scratchfoundation team.

this is a link
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

pavcato wrote:

I don't think they will use scratch.com since they are an organization.

Also scratch.com is taken

ScratchCatHELLO

Python 3 Text Adventure
ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long
  2. not by much
Scratchx.org is for experimenting extensions, Scratchfoundation.org is for donating not for educational purposes and scratch.org is just a redirect to the scratch.mit.edu site. My points still stands.

I don't see how that reenforces your point. Scratch is an organization.

ScratchCatHELLO

Python 3 Text Adventure
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Ihatr wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Scratchfoundation.org is actually not just a donation website, it's the official website for the scratchfoundation team.
At the Scratch Foundation, our mission is to ensure that Scratch is available for free, for everyone, so that kids around the world can express their ideas through coding. As champions of the Scratch project, we raise funds to support the project and share stories of innovation, collaboration, and learning within the global Scratch community.

Last edited by Rendangbike2 (Dec. 16, 2020 03:22:00)

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long

It was generally decided in the replies that the domain would be scratch.org or scratch.edu or something like that.
Actually, as said here:

fdreerf wrote:

Most of the employees are not affiliated with MIT at all. Most, if not all, of the moderators work from home, and the developers are hired because they can do a programming. Mitchel Resnick, the creator of Scratch, got his Ph.D. in MIT and is the director of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT, so that's why Scratch is associated with MIT – it was created there, but not be any students of MIT.
Scratch isn't really part of MIT anymore.
Not all educational sites end with .edu
The service is developed by the MIT Media Lab,

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Ihatr wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

At the Scratch Foundation, our mission is to ensure that Scratch is available for free, for everyone, so that kids around the world can express their ideas through coding. As champions of the Scratch project, we raise funds to support the project and share stories of innovation, collaboration, and learning within the global Scratch community.

Last edited by fdreerf (Dec. 16, 2020 03:32:42)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
da_fin
Scratcher
100+ posts

portalpower wrote:

no support, whenever I type s into duckduckgo google bad duckduckgo good it autofinishes to scratch.mit.edu I'm totally not on scratch too much so yeah
With one or two visits, this would become a non-issue.

hey
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

da_fin wrote:

portalpower wrote:

no support, whenever I type s into duckduckgo google bad duckduckgo good it autofinishes to scratch.mit.edu I'm totally not on scratch too much so yeah
With one or two visits, this would become a non-issue.
Plus, they could just redirect scratch.mit.edu to scratch.org, so this wouldn't even be a problem at all.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Ihatr wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

What's your point?

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

No support. Why?
1. Too long
  2. not by much

I don't see how that reenforces your point. Scratch is an organization.
By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization
.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Maybe scratch.edu.org?

da_fin
Scratcher
100+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
The reason that it's .edu is that it's a subset of MIT.edu.

hey