Discuss Scratch

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

fdreerf wrote:

Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
.edu make sense because
A. Scratch is an educational platforms where kids can learn to code.
B. Since 2001, new registrants for second-level domain names have been required to be United States–affiliated institutions of higher education. And that affiliated institutions of higher education is MIT and like Wikipedia says "The service is developed by the MIT Media Lab"..

Rendangbike2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

da_fin wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization
.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
The reason that it's .edu is that it's a subset of MIT.edu.
Yes, and the domain .mit.edu exist for example
win.mit.edu // It's not a school
ist.mit.edu // It's also not a school
kb.mit.edu // It's also not a school

Last edited by Rendangbike2 (Dec. 16, 2020 05:42:08)

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

If you prefer https://scratch.org, just use it. It will always redirect you. scratch.scratchfoundations.org is just to long.

Ex:

https://scratch.org/create/ -> https://scratch.mit.edu/create

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
Jeffalo
Scratcher
1000+ posts

i like scratch.org, but scratch.mit.edu has this legacy and history that would make scratch.org feel wrong to use.

plus, scratch.mit.edu has this sense of legitimacy because of the mit.edu, while scratch.org doesn't. anyone can make a .org

my website: jeffalo.net | ocular: scratch forum search

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mybearworld wrote:

If you prefer https://scratch.org, just use it. It will always redirect you. scratch.scratchfoundations.org is just to long.

Ex:

https://scratch.org/create/ -> https://scratch.mit.edu/create
I'm adding here that I'm very used to .mit.edu.
It would be a hard change.

Though if you really want scratch.org, then like I said, use it.

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
NanoPIex
Scratcher
500+ posts

No support. The “Field at Mit” backdrop wouldn't make sense.

L
--Explosion--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. 1: It's hard to migrate between domains, 2: The new one would be SO much longer, 3: Scratch already owns scratch.org, and all of its urls redirect to the actual scratch.mit.edu pages.

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 00:00:00)
✰✩✭✴★--Explosion--★✴✭✩✰
Forum helper | boy | platformers | 14yrs | guitar | website

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NanoPIex wrote:

No support. The “Field at Mit” backdrop wouldn't make sense.
Can you not have an image of something without being affiliated with it?

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
aj0828
Scratcher
31 posts

How about scratch.edu?

Hello! This is my- Oops, my siggy has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
;
GachaN0nsense
Scratcher
500+ posts

no support, scratch.mit.edu is already ingrained in a lot of peoples heads, changing the URL will mess it up, and schools might block the site- its fine the way it is.

MOVING TO @NotDucki_
Tunde123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. This would be a bad idea. If the domain is changed, schools will block the website. And scratch is educational, we do not want it to be blocked!

This is a SIGNATURE. This is seperate from a normal post ^
Forum Posts: 2600+/3000
Highlight + Shift + Down Arrow = To see whole signature.

Want to friend me on Roblox? My username is BaconvsRoblox121314 if you want to friend me!

–v More Information v–
New Scratchers - Introduce yourself here!

Questions about Scratch - Ask questions related to scratch here!

Help with Scripts - get/provide help here!

Suggestions - Suggest blocks, features, and more here!

Bugs and Glitches - Report bugs/glitches here!

Last edited by Tunde123 (May 17th, 2022 10:18 AM EST)
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

ScratchCatHELLO wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

-snip-

-snip

fdreerf wrote:

Most of the employees are not affiliated with MIT at all. Most, if not all, of the moderators work from home, and the developers are hired because they can do a programming. Mitchel Resnick, the creator of Scratch, got his Ph.D. in MIT and is the director of the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at MIT, so that's why Scratch is associated with MIT – it was created there, but not be any students of MIT.
Scratch isn't really part of MIT anymore.
-snip, uneeded quote-
The service is developed by the MIT Media Lab,
incorrect

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

da_fin wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

By what point? I can make everything an organization. Oh that's a studio, it's an organization. Oh that's a collab, it's an organization
.org was originally intended for non-profit organizations and is still dominated by them today. Scratch is a non-profit organization. Plus, .edu doesn't even make any sense, because Scratch is not a school (unlike MIT, which is).
  1. they're all subsets of MIT.edu
  2. do they look like they're now an organization?
  3. did you just put in random stuff?

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
sportfan999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I've actually kinda gotten attached to the scratch.mit.edu domain. It's not to long, not too short, and has been with Scratch since the beginning - 13 years!

look who's back!
itschaoticcrazycat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Changing the url has no effect on anything and will be even more of a challenge for people to type and remember.

Moved to @starfiishii. no longer an active scratch user.

(thank you @Honeybreeze)
bobcat0701
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NanoPIex wrote:

Why .org? How about scratch.com
scratch.com is a dj website

| bobcat0701/Caleb | He/they | Speedrunner | Professional Short Person (5'1") |
| Forumer | Nintendo collector | Bisexual |

| Notebook/The Ramblings of a Mad Man | Photography | Wiki Userpage/Better About Me | Give Me Internets |

Here's an expanded about me I guess:

-Caleb/bobcat0701 He/They
-Bisexual
-Nintendo Collector
-Professional short person
-Speedrunner
-Pasta addict

Some accomplishments;
100 forum posts (January 2021)
500 forum posts (February 2021)
1000 forum posts (February 2022)
Joined TFH (October 2023)
Promoted to TFH manager (December 2023)
Tied for second place in TFH host election (April 2024)

Current primary devices (I have a few more that I collect)
Phone: Blue Titanium iPhone 15 pro
Tablet: Purple iPad mini 6th generation
Computer: Cheap HP laptop thing
Gaming Systems: Wii U deluxe set, Black new 3ds xl, White Nintendo Switch oled
Music player: Pink ipod nano 6th generation

Random personal stuff about myself that isn't above:
Ethnicity and religion:
I'm ethnically Ashkenazi Jewish and italian. In terms of religion I'd consider myself agnostic.

Politics:
I'd consider myself a centrist typically I lean left but I also hold some opinions that could be considered right leaning. Overall I'd say I'm Libertarian.

Knife rant:
Spending lots of money on carving knives has never made sense to me I've used the same $20 Morakniv since 2018 and as long as I sharpen it regularly it is still sharp enough for carving and basically any other task. I'm sure I'm the only person on the forums who cares about any of that but thanks for reading I guess.

If you're down here comment “forumers be like” on my profile

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bobcat0701 wrote:

NanoPIex wrote:

Why .org? How about scratch.com
scratch.com is a dj website
as stated previously, please keep your posts relevant to the current conversation

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

ScratchCatHELLO
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rendangbike2 wrote:

da_fin wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

Rendangbike2 wrote:

those are subdomains of MIT, which is a school.

ScratchCatHELLO
I have 5600+ posts, I've been on scratch for 5 1/2 years, I'm a Forum Helper™ and I have a Scratch Wiki account!
I like: Python, CSS, Javascript, Rust

Python 3 Text Adventure
cool new browser game - cursed laughing-crying emoji - Illuminati - you know waterbenders, but do you know stock-imagebenders? - snek - vibin' - Bump song (vevo) - Speed bump - yee - fred - m i c k e y
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch.mit.edu is concise and expresses that it's a .edu domain, and part of MIT. No support.

coder_isaiyah11
Scratcher
100+ posts

i want scratch to be in schools so no support

(\_| -.  \ὓ/ .-|_Ω/)
this is hubward, he protects my siggy AND posts from kuamquats and coconuts
copy and paste this on your siggy to protect your posts.
I Wonder how im Managing to do all-nighters