Discuss Scratch

han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

GlitchedThrough wrote:

han614698 wrote:

Here's the thing though - scratch-www was supposed to work on mobile devices better - so, in a way, scratchr2 was broken.
Scratch ain’t for mobile.
Yes it is.
And with Scratch 3.0, you’re able to create and play projects on your tablet, in addition to your laptop or desktop computer.
- https://scratch.mit.edu/faq

han614698 wrote:

Cons:
Some (even just one) people might not trust it as much
Crappy cyber security classes will do that.
That's still one thing that could be avoided.

han614698 wrote:

It's just an extra change that could make people confused
Redirection from *mit.edu would solve that, right?
I imagine people would still be confused.

han614698 wrote:

Autoblocking from schools could become an issuep
If they autoblock domains, thats on them.
Not really. First off, school districts don't choose to block things, the blocking company does, and second off, it's something we could avoid.

han614698 wrote:

Scratch does still have some ties to MIT
They also have ties to Google. And Amazon. And LEGO.
But LEGO, Amazon, and Google didn't create Scratch originally, did they?

han614698 wrote:

Scratch isn't on bad terms with MIT so there's no need to disassociate.
Yet the Scratch Foundation is separate. Or should they get Scratch.LEGO.com, being in good standings with LEGO.
See previous point.

han614698 wrote:

This entire thing just feels unnecessary. It's necessarily all about the fact that there's a couple of cons, but more about the fact that there's no pros
-If MIT wants to, scratch.mit.edu goes bye-bye.
That is correct. If MIT wanted that I would agree with this suggestion. However there's no indication that they do.
-They’re dependent upon MIT for the domain.
What?
-They’re a separate entity, and already own scratch.org.
That is true. But my parents own a property ten miles from my house. Does that mean we need to move there since it has a better address and road name?
-It’s an easy move and easy change to make.
So is adding a dislike button.

<Scratch Wikian | Forum Helper | 6000+ Posts>

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

han614698 wrote:

I agree with this point, except the fact that scratch.org already works.
It sorta works. All of Scratch's redirect domains are broken, in that they only redirect to the home page.

han614698 wrote:

It could, but why? Honestly I never got why SJ and SF have their own websites vs subdomains here.
Scratch Foundation mostly seems to have their own domain because Scratch Foundation seems to want to be a management organization for Scratch and ScratchJR.
As for ScratchJR; maybe they want it to be kept separate from the semi-social-media main Scratch website.

han614698 wrote:

That is true, but they are also an encyclopedia that switched to an encyclopedia name.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean INFO is an encyclopedia TLD?

han614698 wrote:

Here's the thing though - scratch-www was supposed to work on mobile devices better - so, in a way, scratchr2 was broken.
Kinda. But Scratch is not a mobile app. Sure; it supports tablets. But it supports tablets in the same way Doom can be played with a pregnancy test: not really.

han614698 wrote:

Some (even just one) people might not trust it as much
I honestly doubt anyone that trusted Scratch before would see the URL and think it's untrustworthy now.

han614698 wrote:

It's just an extra change that could make people confused
I don't see how a different domain would confuse people past a few seconds. They'd figure out eventually that the URL had changed.

han614698 wrote:

Autoblocking from schools could become an issue
Have a period where they tell users that the domain is changing. Someone may bring it up to staff at schools, who will bring it up with the filter companies. This doesn't have to be an unwarned change.

han614698 wrote:

Scratch does still have some ties to MIT
Scratch isn't on bad terms with MIT so there's no need to disassociate. This entire thing just feels unnecessary. It's necessarily all about the fact that there's a couple of cons, but more about the fact that there's no pros

han614698 wrote:

But why does that matter? Yes, they aren't owned by MIT, but they are still associated.

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

han614698 wrote:

That is true, but they are also an encyclopedia that switched to an encyclopedia name.
What do you mean by this? Do you mean INFO is an encyclopedia TLD?
en at the beginning means encyclopedia.
[ima=https://u.cubeupload.com/Steve_Greatness/SayTheLine.png]
I never said they were owned. I said associated.

Credit to -gge for the icons in my signature | I condensed all this code into five lines using [p] tags, idk why

preshunk3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

At the end of the day, I think this suggestion comes down to personal opinion, since there would be no real improvement or change to the site whatsoever.

i have preshrunk several times today

Pretendo: (Wii u) preshunk3
GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

preshunk3 wrote:

At the end of the day, I think this suggestion comes down to personal opinion, since there would be no real improvement or change to the site whatsoever.
They wouldn’t be dependent on MIT, and put a domain they pay for to use.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
YouTuber, culinary enthusiast, computer scientist, programmer, Engineer, electric enthusiast, legal aficionado, etc
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GlitchedThrough wrote:

preshunk3 wrote:

Scratch would still be dependent on MIT for parts of scratchr2 they want to make more modular for open source purposes
[scratchr2] is a big monolithic (and also now legacy) codebase that is very tightly tied to our old moderation systems as well as our infrastructure. Because of this, MIT was not comfortable granting us permission to open source the codebase. For everything new we work on, we try to have the code be much more modular which makes it much easier to open source / get approved by MIT's lawyers.
- https://scratch.mit.edu/users/thisandagain/#comments-48878804
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GlitchedThrough wrote:

(#405)

preshunk3 wrote:

they're still dependent on them no matter the domain

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
dynamicsofscratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

At the end of the day, this suggestion probably isn't gonna get passed no matter what happens.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.

Regards
dynamicsofscratch

Anything above that grey line is a signature!
Also, anything can be put in your signature, (also referred as a siggy) including ads but! You cannot do anything else that violates the community guidelines as, you will be reported and you could be banned/muted.
Computer enthusiast, coder, designer and a offline veteran.
700th post
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm not sure how many of you have seen this, but something odd has been happening with some of the Scratch domains recently.

Notably, all subdomains–other than scratch.love– now redirect to scratch.org. Speaking of which, it's now popping up an HTTP Error 403 for people not using “Markley VPN,” which comes after them recently enforcing all their staff to use a VPN. The reason could be that they're using this domain for testing purposes that are only for the Scratch Team's eyes, and don't want people brute-forcing passwords or what-not, so they've locked it down to a single IP instead of a username and/or password.

As for scratch.love, it now includes many pages both from the current domain, and Scratch Foundation's website, and even their own shop(I have no clue if it's functional, it is also missing quite a few products). It is also seemly mirroring all stuff from their Medium blog.

All of this is very interesting and I suggest you keep track of this on this topic.

As for how this relates to this suggestion: I have absolutely no idea. Just thought that since it clearly has something to do with the utilization of these domains, I should probably say something about it. The ST clearly hasn't rejected this suggestion yet, but they might be waiting to make what they're doing public knowledge until they're actually done.

Just thought I'd share this.

Last edited by Steve0Greatness (May 29, 2024 01:32:20)

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
gem1001
Scratcher
100+ posts

[quote=han614698}
It means English
Like de.scratch-wiki.info is German: Deutsche. (German for ‘German’)

Hey look, rock climbing time!

_
/_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
/_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
|_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
|_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
\_
  /    Wow, you've come a long way. Have a seat.
 / Also fun fact: Scratch 2 only ever existed because HTML5 didn't come out on time.
|
|
┌┤
gem1001
Scratcher
100+ posts

han614698 wrote:

It means English
Like de.scratch-wiki.info is German: Deutsch. (German for ‘German’)

Last edited by gem1001 (May 29, 2024 07:26:19)

Hey look, rock climbing time!

_
/_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
/_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
|_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
|_
  /
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/_
 /
/_
  /
 /
/
|
 \
 /
/
\_
  /    Wow, you've come a long way. Have a seat.
 / Also fun fact: Scratch 2 only ever existed because HTML5 didn't come out on time.
|
|
┌┤
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gem1001 wrote:

han614698 wrote:

It means English
Oh, yeah. Like RU is short for Russian, FR is short for French, or JA is short for Japanese. I thought that was common knowledge, guess not.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

han614698
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

gem1001 wrote:

han614698 wrote:

It means English
Oh, yeah. Like RU is short for Russian, FR is short for French, or JA is short for Japanese. I thought that was common knowledge, guess not.
it is common knowledge i just had a brain explosion.

anyway i dont have much more to add other than i strongly still disagree because of the fact that there are only one-two pros (imo) and many cons (imo).

Last edited by han614698 (May 30, 2024 01:45:26)

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

so…. scratch.org is scratch foundation now, so i guess this suggestion is as good as rejected? idk

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Scratch Team is now doing something with Scratch.org, pretty sure that means therre's pretty much no chance this suggestion will ever be implemented. Oh well.

starlightsparker wrote:

so…. scratch.org is scratch foundation now, so i guess this suggestion is as good as rejected? idk
It doesn't seem to be the new Scratch Foundation website. The announcement (see above) states that it's pretty much a resource for people using Scratch in classrooms, clubs, etc. It still does seem to be indirectly rejected, but since the ST hasn't yet closed this topic, they might not be entirely against changing their domain, but they can't/won't at the moment. But that kinda depends if they close it.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

They made the announcement about scratch.org in use. So, well, unless you change the suggestion, this is a lost cause

! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

The Scratch Team is now doing something with Scratch.org, pretty sure that means therre's pretty much no chance this suggestion will ever be implemented. Oh well.
They could use edit.scratch.mit.edu, or similar.

YouTuber, culinary enthusiast, computer scientist, programmer, Engineer, electric enthusiast, legal aficionado, etc
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GlitchedThrough wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Why would they ever use edit.scratch.mit.edu for that site? It makes no sense at all?

GlitchedThrough
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

GlitchedThrough wrote:

Steve0Greatness wrote:

Why would they ever use edit.scratch.mit.edu for that site? It makes no sense at all?
I meant .org

MagicCoder330
Scratcher
500+ posts

After clicking the link, I found that Scratch.org IS indeed blocked by school computers already (at least in my district)

Hello, this is my signature! it goes under every post I make and isn't part of it. shift control down and such to see more

Misconceptions about the Scratch Room

* Low floor: It should be easy to climb in and get started with Scratch - even for Scratchers who have no experience programming. - This does NOT mean complex things shouldn't be added. Making the ceiling higher or the walls wider doesn't make the floor harder to get on.
* Wide walls: Scratchers should be able to make all kinds of things with Scratch - not just animations and games, but news programs, science experiments, things we can't even imagine. - Wide walls means that some things that may be unconventional or odd or “useless” at first glance may still be worthwhile to add, because some people may find them useful for making new unique things.
* High Ceiling: Even though it's easy for someone who is new to programming to get started with Scratch, it should still be possible to make complex stuff. - Although the floor is there, many forumers just look up at the ceiling rather than thinking about the floor. They say “this would be too complicated, new Scratchers wouldn't understand it” without considering the fact that it can be worked up to with the handy floor we have.

((( OwO :: #DC381F) :: #FFCC00)  :: #FFCC00)
This is Georgie the evil grapefruit. He is much larger, stronger, more nutritious and scarier than a kumquat. Donate your soul to him at my profile to help him gain power to overthrow the kumquats and claim his position as the best signature eater!

This is a social experiment, comment and you MIGHT get curator

Get games off the other categories!