Discuss Scratch

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Change the Scratch Domain

BUMP

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I still think that ST won't do this to their current domain, imo.

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PaperMarioFan2022 wrote:

Same. And even if the arguments are valid tbh I have a mildly dumb reason now to not support

I
just
I don’t like it-
I’m too attached to mit.edu for some reason ;-;

✮˚. ᵎᵎ ?彡⋆。˚ starlight !! * ੈ✩‧₊˚ ✧˖° female !! ⋆。°✩ s.her !!‧˚₊ muslim !!✶ .ᐟ
︶꒦꒷order at star's cafe! served w/ love꒷꒦︶
star's cafe is a store to order banners, pfps, and more!
! attention ! my only account is @starlightsparker. if anyone pretends to be me, pretends to be a “secret alt” of mine, or anything like that, they are lying. I’m putting this message here in light of recent events.
(rounded) 1000th post | (actual) 1000th post | first post
~ pakistani muslim ~ ~ born in arabia ~ palestine supporter! ~
stop the Islam hate!useful custom blockslatest projectcomment herePython Learning History
Scratch inspired me to want to become a programmer when i grow up. I plan on learning python :>
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

starlightsparker wrote:

Same. And even if the arguments are valid tbh I have a mildly dumb reason now to not support

I
just
I don’t like it-
I’m too attached to mit.edu for some reason ;-;
That's an alright reason. When it comes to changing something as major as the domain of a website: it's really a matter of opinion as to if you think it's a good idea or not.

Last edited by Steve0Greatness (April 14, 2024 08:10:48)

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PaperMarioFan2022 wrote:

Unclear, but ST did move their source code from the LLK GitHub org to the ScratchFoundation GitHub org a while back. Now, changing the location of a repository is different from changing a domain, but given they've already been distancing Scratch from LLK and MIT in general: I don't see why they wouldn't other than possible objections from users.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Mahdir2111
Scratcher
100+ posts

scratch.org is shorter then scratch.mit.edu and some schools might block some .edu domains.

Hello, I like to do coding.
My ocular profile
My Scratchsite

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

-hexacactus-
Scratcher
51 posts

no support. if anything should be scratch.org, it should be the Scratch Foundation website
also you can just bookmark ‘scratch.org’ if you like that domain better since it still takes you to the same place.

Last edited by -hexacactus- (April 23, 2024 18:12:28)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-hexacactus- wrote:

if anything should be scratch.org, it should be the Scratch Foundation website
Why? That doesn't make any sense. Even Scratch knows this(hence why as of now it's a redirect to Scratch).

Also, they aren't Scratch Organization: they're Scratch Foundation; so if anything, they should use scratch.foundation.

-hexacactus- wrote:

also you can just bookmark ‘scratch.org’ if you like that domain better since it still takes you to the same place.
I get that. But Scratch.org is just an objectively better domain.

• It's short
  • It's memorable
  • It doesn't pretend to be an educational institution(I.E. universities like MIT)

It should be the main domain, not a redirect.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

(#353)
Also, they aren't Scratch Organization: they're Scratch Foundation; so if anything, they should use scratch.foundation.
org is for any nonprofits. But they already have scratchfoundation.org too, and it makes sense to have the main site at the simplest domain.

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
Create-Scratch101
Scratcher
100+ posts

My school blocks Scratch.org

Hi!
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mumu245 wrote:

org is for any nonprofits. But they already have scratchfoundation.org too, and it makes sense to have the main site at the simplest domain.
That makes sense.

Something I think I could rephrase a bit: they're named Scratch Foundation, not the Foundation of Scratch; so just putting them at Scratch.org doesn't make sense, especially since they develop an app named Scratch.

Create-Scratch101 wrote:

My school blocks Scratch.org
Take it up with your school's IT department or administration(either send an email or ask in-person). That honestly doesn't sound intentional, like:
  1. Using a domain whitelist
  2. Blocked it because they thought it was a phishing domain
  3. They don't like redirects for some reason
  4. They mean to block Scratch but accidentally blocked the wrong domain

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)

julmik6478
Scratcher
500+ posts

NanoPIex wrote:

Why .org? How about scratch.com or https://scratch or http://scratch?
That https://scratch is genius.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature

My acounts in some websites:
youtube
planet minecraft
mcreator