Discuss Scratch

MythosLore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

k7e wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

I think that something along the lines of “Revert back to the blue header” could be added, after the update of course. (If you add it now, it would be implemented)
The rejection is here, but I feel like maybe this is a better explanation. She also explained it more in this topic.
OK!

actually working on a game so i'll be a bit less active on the forums
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

removed

Last edited by k7e (June 21, 2023 21:12:00)

@mythoslore was so much more obvious than @spookily
-Tails-Prower-
Scratcher
14 posts

MythosLore wrote:

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

1 thing we need in scratch is: TO BLOCK CERTAIN USERS
Well, we cant, because they'll just bully someone else and never get banned.

well then we just report but i just want to block my cousins because they won't leave me alone and reporting them isn't doing anything

@-Tails-Prower Time
-Tails-Prower-
Scratcher
14 posts

medians wrote:

Elijah999999 wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

1 thing we need in scratch is: TO BLOCK CERTAIN USERS
Well, we cant, because they'll just bully someone else and never get banned.
Who says that “they'll never get banned?” Read through this one more time, especially the underlined part:
8.6 Blocking or ignoring Scratchers
This suggestion refers to an optional system that makes it so that you do not have to see comments that a particular user posts. This feature existed in Scratch 1.4, but the Scratch Team found that it buried any problems rather than solving them. Even if you block a user, that does not stop them from harassing other Scratchers. If someone is being disrespectful, be sure to report that user with the Report button, or use the Contact Us link if the situation requires more explanation.
So… what they're already saying?

ok but what f they are just TARGETING ON YOU and no ne else thenn what just do this:

Are you sure you want to block to user? Have you tried reporting them? They will not be able to See your projects or comment on anything of yours.
Please select a reason to block

O[- User is bullying
O- Wont leave me alone
O- Other

-Okay we will check this user meanwhile you have blocked this user

THAT SIMPLE the coding shouldn't be that difficult eithe, max it'll take 2 days to a week

Last edited by -Tails-Prower- (June 21, 2023 17:23:39)

@-Tails-Prower Time
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

medians wrote:

-snip-

ok but what if they are just TARGETING ON YOU and no ne else thenn what just do this:

Are you sure you want to block to user? Have you tried reporting them? They will not be able to See your projects or comment on anything of yours.

O- User is bullying
O- Wont leave me alone
O- Other

THAT SIMPLE the coding shouldn't be that difficult either, max it'll take 2 days to a week
1. Please snip your quotes, just a small request.
2. As for the block(users) concept, it's been long rejected and doesn't need discussion. Servers would have a harder time because of the already high traffic and low engineers they have. Cheddargirl (ST Member, Forum Moderator) had confirmed they are looking for more engineers as their current ones are sadly required to be overworked to keep the Scratch servers up.
3. You do know Scratch is a mix of HTML and Java? Website uses HTML, Projects use Java. And absolutely no, have you coded in HTML? It's complex as heck! Plus due to server issues — Most likely would take OVER a week, they literally have low engineers and admitted that they're sadly requiring to overwork them to keep the servers up!
Use the report button if needed, or Contact Us if it needs a long explanation.
No offense here, simply saying that HTML is not easy as 1,2,3 especially since Scratch has out of date things — Such as profiles.
Adding a block button would modify around 47% or less or more of said code TO ADD THE BUTTON AND make it function.
Also they already plan an update to not get sued due to an education law in the US, which is where Scratch is based in, which is a week away.
Starting to code that would get them sued before they release the update.
I will now get out.
Cheers.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 21, 2023 17:27:30)

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi
- This account's usage is irregular

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!

-Tails-Prower-
Scratcher
14 posts

Zydrolic wrote:

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

medians wrote:

-snip-

ok but what f they are just TARGETING ON YOU and no ne else thenn what just do this:

O- User is bullying
O- Wont leave me alone
O- Other

THAT SIMPLE the coding shouldn't be that difficult eithe, max it'll take 2 days to a week
1. Please snip your quotes, it's starting to get a little unnecasarily gigantic.
2. As for the block concept, it's been long rejected and doesn't need discussion. Servers would have a harder time because of the already high traffic and low engineers they have. Cheddargirl (Main mod) had confirmed they are looking for more engineers as their current ones are overworked.
3. You do know Scratch is a mix of HTML and Java? Website uses HTML, Projects use Java. And absolutely no, have you coded in HTML? It's complex as heck! Plus due to server issues — Most likely would take OVER a week, they literally have low engineers and admitted that they're sadly requiring to overwork them to keep the servers up!
Use the report button if needed, or Contact Us if it needs a long explanation.
No offense here, simply saying that HTML is not easy as 1,2,3 especially since Scratch has out of date things — Such as profiles.
Adding a block button would modify around 47% or less or more of said code TO ADD THE BUTTON AND make it function.
I will now get out.
Cheers.

regardless i have no idea no what those are… but why not would you rather deal with reports 24/7 or just add a block button.. anyway this was juust a suggestion if scratch team doesn't want to add it that fine there a lot of stuff they don't want to do or maybe they just cant, like adding new blocks… maybe they don't have time to add them idk

@-Tails-Prower Time
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

regardless i have no idea no what those are… but why not would you rather deal with reports 24/7 or just add a block button.. anyway this was juust a suggestion if scratch team doesn't want to add it that fine there a lot of stuff they don't want to do or maybe they just cant, like adding new blocks… maybe they don't have time to add them idk
They have a lack of resources as of right now — As mentioned above. They CAN'T add it yet, if they leave for just a minute, chaos befalls the Forums and necroposts, dupes, permissionless guides would overtake alot;
Thing about it is they're already in heavy trouble, if they don't abide by the Education law, they get sued and Scratch is done, period.
Regardless, a Block(user) was already rejected so there's no need to be mad.
Just report. If it takes longer to assess in words or tell, just use Contact Us. I get you don't wanna deal with someone, but still yet.
I don't wanna deal with many Forum dupes calmly, yet I still manage to, because I know I can report(for it to be closed and finalized, so the OP{Original Poster} realizes their mistake.) after leaving a message to say ‘Yo, sorry but you need permission to make a Guide.’ for example on guides, and ST will provide more information.
Just report them and move on — There's no need to oversuggest or talk about something already rejected.
It'll probably make it worse in the end if you attempt to do it in a different way.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 21, 2023 17:36:52)

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

-Tails-Prower-
Scratcher
14 posts

Zydrolic wrote:

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

They have a lack of resources as of right now — As mentioned above. They CAN'T add it yet, if they leave for just a minute, chaos befalls the Forums and necroposts, dupes, permissionless guides would overtake alot;
Thing about it is they're already in heavy trouble, if they don't abide by the Education law, they get sued and Scratch is done, period.
Regardless, a Block(user) was already rejected so there's no need to be mad.
Just report. If it takes longer to assess in words or tell, just use Contact Us. I get you don't wanna deal with someone, but still yet.
I don't wanna deal with many Forum dupes calmly, yet I still manage to, because I know I can report(for it to be closed and finalized, so the OP{Original Poster} realizes their mistake.) after leaving a message to say ‘Yo, sorry but you need permission to make a Guide.’ for example on guides, and ST will provide more information.
Just report them and move on — There's no need to oversuggest or talk about something already rejected.
It'll probably make it worse in the end if you attempt to do it in a different way.
alright alright you win thanks

@-Tails-Prower Time
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Tails-Prower- wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

-snip-
alright alright you win thanks
Not trying to win an argument, just saying they wouldn't have the resources.
Well,
Cheers.

Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MythosLore wrote:

I meant IF they implemented the rejected blocking users feature.
Oops, I'm sorry, I misread your post.

No longer using the forums unless necessary.

Really, stop with the “support/no support” thing. I don't care if you give a reason. If you have a reason you don't need to add this to your post in the first place. Stop acting like your opinion makes a difference. It doesn't. Opinions were never the point. The point is whether or not it's a good suggestion. If you can give a good reason at why this is a good idea or point out a flaw, do it, but don't take sides.
This is not sarcasm.
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MythosLore wrote:

I think that something along the lines of “Revert back to the blue header” could be added, after the update of course. (If you add it now, it would be implemented)
I feel like this (@Paddle2See's original post, whereever it is) or this should be linked.

Eld4n79
Scratcher
19 posts

I kinda wanna change my username to “GreenIceToadDoesStuff” or “GreenIceToad0245” But unfortunately, I don’t want to risk deleting my account, and creating a new one. That would be a bad idea if you want to change your username, though it would be confusing for the scratch team to moderate the usernames but, there would be a 30 day cool-down between changing usernames to prevent overflow and clutter.
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Eld4n79 wrote:

I kinda wanna change my username to “GreenIceToadDoesStuff” or “GreenIceToad0245” But unfortunately, I don’t want to risk deleting my account, and creating a new one. That would be a bad idea if you want to change your username, though it would be confusing for the scratch team to moderate the usernames but, there would be a 30 day cool-down between changing usernames to prevent overflow and clutter.
Check section 8.1:

TOLORS by Za-Chary wrote:

8.1 Changing usernames or changing display names
If a user could change their username (or even set a certain “nickname” or “display name”), this could be very confusing for the Scratch community, especially for those following that user. In addition, this would make moderation of the website more difficult because it would be harder for the Scratch Team to keep an eye on what a user may be doing. The Scratch Team has allowed username changes only on very rare occasions, such as if the username contains personal information or causes gender dysphoria. Generally, the Scratch Team does not change usernames on request (including for reasons such as “I do not like my current username anymore”).

However, because of the way that usernames are stored on the server, changing the cases of letters in your username (for example, changing @Za-Chary to @ZA-CHARY) is NOT rejected;
Also just create a new one and a project saying you've moved accounts. That can be enough.
Don't think I need to quote anything else nor say anything else.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 23, 2023 19:34:34)

Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sliverus wrote:

Perhaps rename it – like “ban certain franchises (books, TV shows, movies, video games, etc.)” or something to that effect. Maybe include a paragraph explaining specifically that this is about media in pop culture, not websites.
“Et cetera” is difficult since someone could claim that websites fall under the “et cetera.” I'm not entirely sure whether or not a website is considered to be a “franchise.”

-VortexTV- wrote:

7.9 is one of the dumbest suggestions on the list I'm shocked that somebody thought that was needed. Don't you think sheltered Nintendo switch kids suffer enough? I feel sorry for all the gamers who's mothers set their daily play time to an hour max and then auto shut off.
Please be respectful of other Scratchers' ideas and suggestions. Suggestions are rejected because they do not align with Scratch's design goals — not because they are “bad.”

-VortexTV- wrote:

7.5 is an interesting one. So the scratch team is supposed to respect all views yet for some reason people will have views that offend the scratch team and get censored. You say we're supposed to be respectful of people's beliefs when there's scratchers who made projects about supporting Trump that got taken down while Biden projects stay up. Hypocritical if you ask me. And biased, big time.
Yes, sure, the Scratch Team is biased towards those who are respectful. That is no surprise. As the quote of 7.5 states, "As long as someone's beliefs and statements are respectful and welcoming towards all groups of people, they are allowed to express them on the Scratch website." Not all beliefs expressed by Scratchers on the Scratch website are respectful or welcoming, and it is these disrespectful and unwelcoming beliefs that are censored by the Scratch Team. The Community Guidelines states that the Scratch Team welcomes “people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities” — nowhere there does it say that the Scratch Team respects all views. (If they did, then people could just insult each other as much as they wanted without consequence.)

k7e wrote:

54387a wrote:

GPS or location blocks seem to be rejected. Source: https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/7321895/
That seems a bit “obvious”, similar to how “ability to track Scratchers' exact location” would be.

I mean, it was suggested before, but still.
I think I'll leave it off the list for now — but I appreciate it being brought to my attention.

sonic__fan wrote:

A solution to 8.6 is to have a pop-up saying:
Are you sure you want to block this user?
If this user is being disrespectful to you or breaking the Community Guidelines, please report them instead.
And if someone doesn't read, that's their fault.
While it might be someone else's fault that they don't read it, it's certainly not their fault if they don't understand it, especially considering that there are a lot of young children on this website. In this sense, it's better to encourage Scratchers to use the Report button so that they get practice with using it for the future. And I also think it's better to encourage Scratchers to use the Report button than it is to try to find someone to place the blame on, particular if they don't really deserve it.

MythosLore wrote:

I'm thinking about this myself. We'll certainly have to wait for the update to be released; there's no point in adding it to the list before then. On that note, I'll check the forums carefully when the update is released, including this sticky, just to see how many suggestions are made against it and to see if the Scratch Team has any more information to add about it.

MythosLore wrote:

k7e wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

The rejection is here, but I feel like maybe this is a better explanation. She also explained it more in this topic.
OK!
Quoting this just so I don't lose these posts, as it seems the original quote was removed for some reason.

k7e wrote:

MythosLore wrote:

I feel like this (@Paddle2See's original post, whereever it is) or this should be linked.
Quoting this as well for my future records. @Paddle2See's quote in my post linked above was given in a comment on my profile. His quote itself is not a forum post, but if I choose to link my post for the sake of the rejected suggestions list, I hope that is fine.

Eld4n79 wrote:

though it would be confusing for the scratch team to moderate the usernames but, there would be a 30 day cool-down between changing usernames to prevent overflow and clutter.
A 30-day cooldown would still be way too short — it would still make moderation much more complicated than the way things are currently set up.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Quoting this just so I don't lose these posts, as it seems the original quote was removed for some reason.
That's my bad, I thought I was linking too many posts and I didn't want it to seem spammy. Also, in case you haven't noticed, the first link is just a link to my removed post, I accidentally put that one there instead of the rejection.

Za-Chary wrote:

Quoting this as well for my future records. @Paddle2See's quote in my post linked above was given in a comment on my profile. His quote itself is not a forum post, but if I choose to link my post for the sake of the rejected suggestions list, I hope that is fine.
After casually doing my daily routine of scrolling through your profile comments (hey, they get interesting), I saw @Paddle2See's original “post” – it was a comment on your profile. I would think that it would be fine to link your post with the quote. When you go to the wiki, most of the comment citations either literally take infinitely long to load, or they'll just say "[dead link]“, so I would think that a forum post with a quote, even if it isn't by a moderator, would be better than the comment itself being linked.

Also, not all of the links of a suggestion being rejected are ”suggestions getting closed", some of them are announcements.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think that the original announcement is what should be linked if this does get added to the list. I mean, you've linked announcements before, and this new announcement is a much better explanation than the Discuss tab one (the reasoning in 9.1 came mostly from a comment on your profile by @Paddle2See, right?).

Last edited by k7e (June 24, 2023 12:32:35)

Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

“Remove the Suggestions forum” used to be on this sticky, but it got removed. I was trying to look for the link to the original topic, but I couldn't find it. Do you happen to still have the link to the original topic? I need it for the wiki.

Also, while I'm here, I'm curious: Why was it removed from the list?

Last edited by Sliverus (June 24, 2023 15:50:53)

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sliverus wrote:

“Remove the Suggestions forum” used to be on this sticky, but it got removed. I was trying to look for the link to the original topic, but I couldn't find it. Do you happen to still have the link to the original topic? I need it for the wiki.

Is this what you're looking for?
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/472905/?page=1#post-4755663
EDIT: It contains a quote with this in it.
Also removed probably since it would impact the forums and scratch negatively.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 24, 2023 15:54:21)

Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sliverus wrote:

Here @Za-Chary states that it was because it wasn't suggested very frequently.

I mean, there's a reason why @Za-Chary removing it from the list was one of the first things that came up on Ocular…

Last edited by k7e (June 25, 2023 02:45:30)

ChildWithKeyboard
Scratcher
14 posts

Za-Chary wrote:

GENERAL INFORMATION

Years ago, the Scratch forums suffered from trolls who continually spammed the forums with highly inappropriate images. It got so bad that the [img] tag had to be temporarily disabled so it could be improved.
when was that

Wow, this is my signature.
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChildWithKeyboard wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

GENERAL INFORMATION

Years ago, the Scratch forums suffered from trolls who continually spammed the forums with highly inappropriate images. It got so bad that the [img] tag had to be temporarily disabled so it could be improved.
when was that
Around 2015 if I remember the wiki correctly.
Here: https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/New_Scratcher_Status
Check other ranks if I linked the wrong status.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 24, 2023 17:55:48)

Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder