Discuss Scratch

k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Who is going to be the new owner of the thread once it reaches 500 pages?
This one user named @k7e or something like this…
Why would it get a new owner after 500 pages? Also, we've got 124 more pages to go.

Last edited by k7e (June 27, 2023 00:38:08)

@mythoslore was so much more obvious than @spookily
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k7e wrote:

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Why would it get a new owner after 500 pages? Also, we've got 124 more pages to go.
Topics get closed at 500 pages(or above) to save server costs and space;

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 27, 2023 00:39:43)

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - github - github pages site - tamaNOTchi
stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!

waitwhat2288
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

4.1 Disable “See Inside” or restrict sharing

Shouldn't these be separated from one another? According to 4.1, disabling the “See Inside” button is rejected for dissuading the purpose of remix culture, while restraining access to who can view a project is rejected because moderation concerns.

I know both of these suggestions fall under the same category as “preventing something,” but 2.3 and 2.4 also have some resemblance to one another, and yet 2.3 and 2.4 have contradictory reasons for rejections just like the suggestions in 4.1 have.

yo
GIitchInTheMatrix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

k7e wrote:

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Not really.
No space difference appears by closing topics, and the forums are so small, costs won't change due to bandwidth as much.

this is my signature
I have exactly 8934 posts
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GIitchInTheMatrix wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

k7e wrote:

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Not really.
No space difference appears by closing topics, and the forums are so small, costs won't change due to bandwidth as much.
Yeah my brain is just dead again this night.
(Also I dunno about you but over a million total posts ain't small to me)

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 27, 2023 01:26:54)

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - github - github pages site - tamaNOTchi
stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

GIitchInTheMatrix
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

GIitchInTheMatrix wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

k7e wrote:

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Not really.
Yeah my brain is just dead again this night.
(Also I dunno about you but over a million total posts ain't small to me)
However, with the forum software Scratch uses, once a posts made it can't be deleted.

this is my signature
I have exactly 8934 posts
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

GIitchInTheMatrix wrote:

However, with the forum software Scratch uses, once a posts made it can't be deleted.
Yeah that's honestly the right way to explain it.

Last edited by Zydrolic (June 27, 2023 06:56:36)

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

ScratchCat1038
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Should we add changing the header back to blue here?

shift+down to scroll
GIVE AN INTERNET
so i can feed my family

“if on edge, bounce” block visualization

oh, so you drink water?
describe the flavor without using the word “water”
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchCat1038 wrote:

I think it would make more sense to do it now, it's not implemented anymore.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Contact Us wrote:

Hey there!

Thank you for reaching out! In the next week we’ll be releasing a blog post that describes the process a bit, but I’m happy to share some details now.
I’m the Design Director at Scratch, and our designers began working on the high contrast blocks last year. The process for the blocks began with them checking each original block color combination against the WCAG AA guidelines. Very few blocks met the contrast ratio so they began exploring alternative combinations that kept the same hue as the original blocks, but lightened the background and used black text — giving a higher contrast ratio and consistent look.

We launched the High Contrast blocks in Scratch Lab where ~800 users tested it and provided feedback. Many users with self-reported visual impairments or disabilities preferred the new high-contrast blocks, but many users without those impairments found the blocks to be less aesthetically pleasing. Most users asked for an option to toggle between the modes, which wasn’t functionality we had at the time. So, our engineers and designers worked to create the drop-down settings menu that allows users to choose whether or not to use the high contrast mode.

As for the colors in the nav bar and elements on the Scratch site itself, we explored a similar approach of lightening our original blue and using black text. However, that visual change felt off-brand and was quite jarring as a change. So, we decided to keep white text and use an existing brand color (the purple) which would allow us to meet the contrast guidelines and keep a common Scratch color. We actually use a purple editor in the Scratch Lab environment, so this was not a huge shift.

We’ve seen a few users ask to make this part optional as well, but unfortunately we need to ensure that the site is usable for as many people as possible (including use in schools) and that means we need a consistent design. We can certainly explore personalization features in the future, but for now, we want to make sure we have a site that is inclusive for folks with visual impairments, and we will be considering additional color modes in the future for the blocks — so stay tuned.

Thank you for asking about our process. The three links in the forum post (included below) are probably most help to point for more information about contrast standards in general.

Sincerely,
[Redacted by @Za-Chary]

https://kids.kiddle.co/Accessibility#:%7E:text=Accessibility%20is%20equal%20access%20for%2Ca%20person%20without%20a%20disability
https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Content_Accessibility_Guidelines

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

k7e wrote:

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think that the original announcement is what should be linked if this does get added to the list. I mean, you've linked announcements before, and this new announcement is a much better explanation than the Discuss tab one (the reasoning in 9.1 came mostly from a comment on your profile by @Paddle2See, right?).
Either this announcement or my post from Contact Us. I'll probably link to the announcement, and then direct users to this other post if it helps.

Sliverus wrote:

“Remove the Suggestions forum” used to be on this sticky, but it got removed. I was trying to look for the link to the original topic, but I couldn't find it. Do you happen to still have the link to the original topic? I need it for the wiki.
I don't have it on hand. I'd search for it, but Ocular isn't working at the moment. But @k7e managed to find a link to it anyway.

Sliverus wrote:

Also, while I'm here, I'm curious: Why was it removed from the list?
I could see it being “obviously rejected” or perhaps not suggested much anymore.

Zydrolic wrote:

Za-Chary, I found this post from 2016 suggesting to lower bans to an hour.
Mind to add it in? Although ST doesn't appear to have noticed it, I just think this should be added in considering it's not a really good idea and has gotten zero support anyway. Though it is ST's decision..
Here.
Strictly speaking, it's not rejected, since it's not even closed. I agree it would be rejected — but I don't have the authority to determine that. Nevertheless, I probably would not add it to the list anyway since I don't see it suggested often.

Crispydogs101 wrote:

Why was this unrejected? Was it not suggested as much anymore?
It wasn't “unrejected,” I just removed it from the list. I'd search for why, but Ocular isn't working at the moment. Probably the most likely reason is that there isn't really much to the suggestion, and it's a little vague. Everyone's definition of “mini-mod” is different.

snapdrag0ns wrote:

Question: what is the status of the idea of a search box for the forums?
This isn't rejected, to my knowledge.

Zydrolic wrote:

snapdrag0ns wrote:

Please ask on Questions about Scratch, not on TOLoRS.
Just saying because it doesn't belong here. Thank you.
They can ask here; they are asking if a suggestion is rejected or not. That is relevant to this thread.

Crispydogs101 wrote:

At this moment I have no plans to transfer ownership to someone else — or to make a new thread.

Zydrolic wrote:

That's not true. Forum topics don't get closed just because they are above a certain number of pages.

waitwhat2288 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

4.1 Disable “See Inside” or restrict sharing

Shouldn't these be separated from one another? According to 4.1, disabling the “See Inside” button is rejected for dissuading the purpose of remix culture, while restraining access to who can view a project is rejected because moderation concerns.
I think they're similar enough — people usually make either suggestion because they want to prevent certain people from seeing their project.

waitwhat2288 wrote:

I know both of these suggestions fall under the same category as “preventing something,” but 2.3 and 2.4 also have some resemblance to one another, and yet 2.3 and 2.4 have contradictory reasons for rejections just like the suggestions in 4.1 have.
I think 2.3 and 2.4 are separated because, while they are similar yet different suggestions, I wanted to make sure that Scratchers understood that these were different suggestions. Back in my day, people often got confused with the difference between the two suggestions. I think separating them in this case would be helpful to highlight the fact that they are different. This is like why “paid advertisements” and “project advertisements” are also separated.

k7e wrote:

ScratchCat1038 wrote:

I think it would make more sense to do it now, it's not implemented anymore.
I was hoping to see a Scratch Team member response today confirming that it's rejected. But it's probably safe to add it anyway since the Scratch Team performed months of research and work for this change and likely will not be reverting it. See 7.14. For those who want to quote this, be aware that “changing the color palette back to blue entirely” is what is rejected; it is NOT rejected to make this optional.

On that note, I got confused as to where to put this rejection. Since the purple changed across the entire website, I felt like “7. Scratch Community” was the best fit. But this didn't make much sense because it's more of a website change, not really a community change. Then I started thinking about how a lot of the suggestions in that category were different, and could be placed in two different categories; some described community norms/rules, while others were actual features that would have to be developed.

As such, I'm entertaining the idea of splitting this category into two categories: one which lists actual features on the Scratch website, and one which lists proposed community norms/rules. In fact, the entire list is probably due for some proofreading and rearranging, anyway. I'll try to make these changes within a week or so, but don't be surprised if it takes longer than that.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Sliverus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

I was hoping to see a Scratch Team member response today confirming that it's rejected. But it's probably safe to add it anyway since the Scratch Team performed months of research and work for this change and likely will not be reverting it. See 7.14. For those who want to quote this, be aware that “changing the color palette back to blue entirely” is what is rejected; it is NOT rejected to make this optional.

On that note, I got confused as to where to put this rejection. Since the purple changed across the entire website, I felt like “7. Scratch Community” was the best fit. But this didn't make much sense because it's more of a website change, not really a community change. Then I started thinking about how a lot of the suggestions in that category were different, and could be placed in two different categories; some described community norms/rules, while others were actual features that would have to be developed.

As such, I'm entertaining the idea of splitting this category into two categories: one which lists actual features on the Scratch website, and one which lists proposed community norms/rules. In fact, the entire list is probably due for some proofreading and rearranging, anyway. I'll try to make these changes within a week or so, but don't be surprised if it takes longer than that.
Firstly, I have an answer from a Scratch Team member. Changing the site back to blue is rejected, but it is NOT rejected to change the color to whatever you'd like.

And I think Section 7 should be split into “Scratch Community” and “Website Features”.
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sliverus wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

Firstly, I have an answer from a Scratch Team member. Changing the site back to blue is rejected, but it is NOT rejected to change the color to whatever you'd like.

And I think Section 7 should be split into “Scratch Community” and “Website Features”.
The quote (for when “Tongue Drum” gets so many comments that the one you linked never loads):

Paddle2See wrote:

Yes. We things similar in the TOLRS relating to other changes we have made. Sometimes changes have to be made. Some people will be very vocal about disliking said changes. Doesn't mean that the changes should or will be rolled back. If there are valid objections (things that break, for example) or valid suggestions for how to improve the feature, we are open to hearing them.

Last edited by k7e (June 28, 2023 17:56:07)

CartoonNetwork2020E
Scratcher
12 posts

I love the purple UI.
wikibro300000
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can you add links to the list of contents to?

Edit:king lessssd go

Last edited by wikibro300000 (June 28, 2023 19:14:07)

l
DonutsLikesNyanCat
Scratcher
100+ posts

EtheBee wrote:

i think yoou should have a mobile app it would help alot so in long ca rides i can have something great to do i would love that and so would everyone it should be on ipad iphone android and pretty much all mobile devices so please please do that thank you and please dont reject this
oooh yeah and there could be an ofline mode so your projects can save without internet
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Strictly speaking, it's not rejected, since it's not even closed. I agree it would be rejected — but I don't have the authority to determine that. Nevertheless, I probably would not add it to the list anyway since I don't see it suggested often.
Fair honestly, you're right since it's not been rejected yet, as it isn't even closed. Fair.

Za-Chary wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

snapdrag0ns wrote:

Please ask on Questions about Scratch, not on TOLoRS.
Just saying because it doesn't belong here. Thank you.
They can ask here; they are asking if a suggestion is rejected or not. That is relevant to this thread.
Oh, alright. My apologies.

Za-Chary wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

That's not true. Forum topics don't get closed just because they are above a certain number of pages.
My apologies, I thought they did get closed at 500 pages.

Jotaro Kujo wrote:

Good grief.
Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

Lego_Kai
Scratcher
79 posts

I think the Scratch Team could think about 2.6 (Increase the clone limit) and 8.3 (Show when users are online).
2.6 could be added by letting people choose what they want their personal clone limit to be. They could also decrease their personal clone limit to below 300, too.
8.6 could be added by giving an option to show if they are online or not.

Hi, I'm Kai! I am a person who has been on scratch for 4 years! I like looking at power level projects and used to make a lot of them.

Also, please apply for this collab! I need to find people for it!
k7e
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lego_Kai wrote:

2.6 could be added by letting people choose what they want their personal clone limit to be. They could also decrease their personal clone limit to below 300, too.
What if someone sets it to 8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888?
If you want it below 300, just code it so you can't have more than the desired number of clones.

TheReal_BestGamer
Scratcher
33 posts

(long unnecessary quote removed by moderator - please don't spam)

I'm not sure how the suggestion forums work, and this is the best I can do, I'd like to state that I do not consider ai moderators a solution to any problems, ai are too glitchy to be an option, while I have no say in the matter, I'd appreciate if you took this into consideration if it is requested by someone else.

Last edited by Paddle2See (June 28, 2023 20:50:15)