Discuss Scratch

jackrum1220
Scratcher
23 posts

Writing!

I am trying to write a novel about magical realms that co-exist with our's, but I can't think of a story line! I know my character's name: William, but how does he discover the other worlds! I am thinking about this one and will appreciate any help giving.
Ravenfairy187
Scratcher
22 posts

Writing!

jackrum1220 wrote:

I am trying to write a novel about magical realms that co-exist with our's, but I can't think of a story line! I know my character's name: William, but how does he discover the other worlds! I am thinking about this one and will appreciate any help giving.

Um…Portals…IDK really…

'Ello ‘Ello ’Ello!

I am a American woman with the accent of a Brit and the temper of a Scot. Don't mess with me-Lani

“Why are you dressed like you're at a funeral?” “Because, I might be at one extremely soon, crazy lady.”

Song of the week: Control by Halsey.

Quote of the week: “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent”-Elanor Roosevelt

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

jackrum1220 wrote:

I often think about going up into the attic and it feels somehow larger inside than it should be… it's like a maze of walls and boxes and chests and stuff– and then, as you round a corner, you feel yourself falling into something that is definitely not your house…
As for your main character, I think he should be more than just a name, you know. A person. With a personality. (Ok this probably sounds really obvious but it's true that a lot of people just plop in a name and go “YAY i have a character now i'll give him/her a thousand cool powers and a tragic backstory and a bunch of cool scars but absolutely no personality whatsoever!” … I think I went overboard)
GryffindorFreak1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing!

Generalstarwars333 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

So standardized-test-thingymajigs-that-everyone-hates began…
DAY BEFORE TESTS BEGIN
Teacher: I never had a student tell me they were close to the character limit on one of the essays.
DAY TESTS BEGIN
Me: I reached the character limit

Moral: There's always a first.
Oh yeah, I reached the 6000 character limit too. I had to revise my 4th paragraph and some of the others too to get enough characters for my final paragraph. What was your prompt?
Oh my gosh, that is literally me.
You guys already took the standardized testing though? Ours is next week.

“After all this time, Severus?”
“Always.”

Exactly 221 posts

TeamRocketFan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

I mostly just write about anthropomorphic wolves

I've been writing about them since I was six, though.

I think the wolves took my signature. maybe take a look jasper (SU) memorial
Undertale fan, Pokemon fan, and wolf artist! Team Mystic (Team Rocket, Galactic and Plasma = my teams)

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

TeamRocketFan wrote:

I mostly just write about anthropomorphic wolves

I've been writing about them since I was six, though.
I've been “writing” since I was about five-ish or so, but it wasn't quite writing because this is what it looked like:
Daisy
wok
up
she
was
Mad
she
got
wet
in
rain
waa
angry

Yes that is the closest I can remember to the first story I ever wrote.
(Daisy was a yellow bunny person who wore a dress that looked like it was made for someone without a chest and wielded a wooden hammer that was taller than herself. I don't know it the hammer was my idea. All I really remember is that she smacked another bunny named Justin into a window with it, and that in that drawing, the handle of the hammer was at least ten feet long, and the diameter of the head was something like five feet.)
higem3
Scratcher
4 posts

Writing!

when green flag clicked
walk to writersland
BE HAPPY!

when green flag clicked
if <My project is featured> then 

Do Happy Dance

else
Destroy the world!
end
No pressure

Warriors OC: Silverbreeze/Silverstar (There are a LOT more just too lazy to list them )
Mage OC #1: Nyx
Mage OC #2: Elixa
Mermaid OC: Creela
Fairy OC: Lexi
Harry Potter OC: Myself
Generalstarwars333
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

higem3 wrote:

when green flag clicked
walk to writersland
BE HAPPY!
You know you can just type normally. Or like actually put something with substance.

“Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun.” –William Philips, British Artillery Officer {|} “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups”–George Carlin {|} “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and clobber you with experience”–George Carlin {|} “Never correct your enemy when he is making a mistake” –Napoleon Bonaparte {|} “There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today,”–British admiral David Beatty, after the British Battlecruisers Indefatigable and Queen Mary explode less than half an hour into The Battle of Jutland, 1916. {|} “The point of war isn't to die for your country. It's to make the other * die for his.”–George S. Patton {|} (Warhammer) 40k - where the genocidal, xenocidal, fascist, ultraconservative zealots with a morbid fear of technology and an unhealthy fondness for burning things… are the good guys.—A forum signature. {|} And now for the best quote: “All right. They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us… They can't get away this time.”-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC
cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

When I read and there's something in common with my stories and I'm like “SHEESH”
Especially names
so i use names that don't pop up in stories a lot :V

Also I get mad when someone looks like a character… like seriously this freakin dude in my school looks exactly like Evlon Gallegar/Supernova (except his height and his jaw. yes his jaw. Evlon's is wider than his and his front teeth aren't as prominent… also he's about a foot taller). WHICH is strange because he has a hairstyle you wouldn't dream up a real person having…

jk if you want to see an unrealistic hairstyle then Jessie from Pokemon (honestly HOW MUCH GEL WOULD THAT TAKE)

yes i think up character appearances in detail. i have a freakin chart with heights and stuff and i'm so freakin specific with jetstream that he has a tan line on his wrist from wearing his watch all the time. one day i'll probably write down the exact position of all of terrydactyl's freckles :>

GAHHHH i must shut up
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

When I read and there's something in common with my stories and I'm like “SHEESH”
Especially names

Also I get mad when someone looks like a character… like seriously this freakin dude in my school looks exactly like Evlon Gallegar/Supernova (except his height and his jaw. yes his jaw. Evlon's is wider than his and his front teeth aren't as prominent… also he's about a foot taller). WHICH is strange because he has a hairstyle you wouldn't dream up a real person having…

jk if you want to see an unrealistic hairstyle then Jessie from Pokemon (honestly HOW MUCH GEL WOULD THAT TAKE)

yes i think up character appearances in detail. i have a freakin chart with heights and stuff and i'm so freakin specific with jetstream that he has a tan line on his wrist from wearing his watch all the time. one day i'll probably write down the exact position of all of terrydactyl's freckles :>

GAHHHH i must shut up
I think Jessie's hair is so that she can form an R with her body. I don't even watch or play Pokémon it's just that the entire internet seems to love it

touka85
Scratcher
8 posts

Writing!

im writing a romance novel
cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

cs156175 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Especially names

GAHHHH i must shut up
I think Jessie's hair is so that she can form an R with her body. I don't even watch or play Pokémon it's just that the entire internet seems to love it
wait WHAT?

MY LIFE IS A LIE
Generalstarwars333
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

Especially names

GAHHHH i must shut up
I do a similar thing for the equipment and vehicles used in my stories. Or rather, my story. Although there are probably gonna be a few more once a thing me and a few friends are prepping gets started.

“Where a goat can go, a man can go. And where a man can go, he can drag a gun.” –William Philips, British Artillery Officer {|} “Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups”–George Carlin {|} “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and clobber you with experience”–George Carlin {|} “Never correct your enemy when he is making a mistake” –Napoleon Bonaparte {|} “There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today,”–British admiral David Beatty, after the British Battlecruisers Indefatigable and Queen Mary explode less than half an hour into The Battle of Jutland, 1916. {|} “The point of war isn't to die for your country. It's to make the other * die for his.”–George S. Patton {|} (Warhammer) 40k - where the genocidal, xenocidal, fascist, ultraconservative zealots with a morbid fear of technology and an unhealthy fondness for burning things… are the good guys.—A forum signature. {|} And now for the best quote: “All right. They're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us… They can't get away this time.”-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC
Ravenfairy187
Scratcher
22 posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Especially names

GAHHHH i must shut up
wait WHAT?

MY LIFE IS A LIE

YESS This is why my character names are so hard to say and some of them aren't even names I just made them up XD

'Ello ‘Ello ’Ello!

I am a American woman with the accent of a Brit and the temper of a Scot. Don't mess with me-Lani

“Why are you dressed like you're at a funeral?” “Because, I might be at one extremely soon, crazy lady.”

Quote of the week: “Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent”-Elanor Roosevelt

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

Ravenfairy187 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

SNIP

YESS This is why my character names are so hard to say and some of them aren't even names I just made them up XD
Lol I could list a thousand names* you wouldn't know how to pronounce from my story… Erriém, Leode, Ariolus Fawsen (hint: it's NOT AIR-ee-oh-lus FAW-zin)** so yes i can relate

I do a similar thing for the equipment and vehicles used in my stories. Or rather, my story. Although there are probably gonna be a few more once a thing me and a few friends are prepping gets started.
Get mad when it's similar to another book or make overly detailed appearance?

*and also animal names, like hachipgnin, but idk what i was thinking with those guys. they're literally just flying reindeer
**in case you were wondering (I know, fat chance), they're pronounced air-ee-AYM, LEE-o-dee, and a-REE-o-luss faw-ZEN
Generalstarwars333
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

Ravenfairy187 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

SNIP

Lol I could list a thousand names* you wouldn't know how to pronounce from my story… Erriém, Leode, Ariolus Fawsen (hint: it's NOT AIR-ee-oh-lus FAW-zin)** so yes i can relate

*and also animal names, like hachipgnin, but idk what i was thinking with those guys. they're literally just flying reindeer
**in case you were wondering (I know, fat chance), they're pronounced air-ee-AYM, LEE-o-dee, and a-REE-o-luss faw-ZEN
Eh, not particularly. I openly use things such as slipspace, deflector shields, MACs, blasters, turbolasers, TIE fighters, and other things, and the names I choose are often because they're inspired by real world things. Oh, and I also use droids. The main reason for a lot of the starwars stuff is because my stuff that I use in my stories is often based upon my extensive lego military, and most of my infantrymen are clone troopers. Plus I have a lot of starwars sets. But yeah, I use many real or already done things since that way I have an idea of how effective something is.

Ravenfairy187
Scratcher
22 posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

Ravenfairy187 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

SNIP

Try teaching people how to say Alicina, Naidia, Kerrn(MT character. Not mine, but still confusing name..), Lorela, and other things such as those.

'Ello ‘Ello ’Ello!

cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

Ravenfairy187 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Ravenfairy187 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

SNIP

Try teaching people how to say Alicina, Naidia, Kerrn(MT character. Not mine, but still confusing name..), Lorela, and other things such as those.
Most of my fantasy characters end up having really normal names or names that aren't that unusual ( Ellis, Day, Sakura, Danielle, Carrie, Aries ) while the weird names are reserved for my sci fi characters ( Sorni/Zorni, Astelle, Anison, Danison, Archeo.. )

smartcutecandy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

cheese-duck wrote:

Especially names

GAHHHH i must shut up
I have a friend who looks like Newt from the Maze Runner. The resemblance is really uncanny…

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing!

smartcutecandy wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Especially names

GAHHHH i must shut up
I have a friend who looks like Newt from the Maze Runner. The resemblance is really uncanny…
aowefiansdofkaehroiwueo you got me thinking Newt Scamander for a moment