Discuss Scratch

cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cached Variables!! [Saved Games!] / Locally Saved Variables

mumu245 wrote:

IDK if this has been suggested, but localStorage could be used instead of cookies. 2560 digits (the cloud variable limit) is very little for a savegame.

Also, there should be an option to clear these local variables.
ye thats what snap uses for the database library as well

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ MecanX Disk 0 : Coming march 27th
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

As long as you do it right, cloud variables are a very effective method of saved games.
right, but with several users writing to the cloud at once, it can sometimes cause collisions and mishaps. like in my internetz game, I frequently get complaints about data not being saved correctly, and when I investigate it comes down to two or more users saving data at the same time. so a cloud list is not a foolproof option for per-player saved data.

cookie variables sound like a very good idea, but there needs to be some kind of restriction to prevent unlimited storage of data to a browser's cache.

Cookies could be used as spyware, like if a seller knew that you were interested in buying something, it'd up the price. If they knew you were playing this game, game devs might be able to increase the price of their game.

Lists already save data to the computer's hard drive, so you could use that instead.
But what if you want it automatically inside the project while also not requiring the user to input it in manually? Also, it's only for the project. By the way, lists don't save automatically.

Edit: Ninja'd

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
replace (1) of [list name v] with (variable name)
end

when flag clicked
set [variable name v] to (list name :: list)
But you would need this suggestion implemented for that to work because a reload would immediately clear this without this suggestion implemented.

It's local and account specific, so if you logged onto a different account on the same device, or logged into the same account on a different device, the data would not be there, but if you reloaded or exited and re-entered the webpage on the same device and you are logged into the same account, the data would remain.
That's a totally different suggestion that doesn't make sense and isn't implemented.

No, that's how list saving works.
Foolproof list saving doesn't exist currently.

Last edited by 54387a (Sept. 23, 2023 14:42:30)

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Welcome to the world of @54387a!™
Try out my projects.
To donate an internet, go here.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

Creating Content since October 2022
1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

As long as you do it right, cloud variables are a very effective method of saved games.
right, but with several users writing to the cloud at once, it can sometimes cause collisions and mishaps. like in my internetz game, I frequently get complaints about data not being saved correctly, and when I investigate it comes down to two or more users saving data at the same time. so a cloud list is not a foolproof option for per-player saved data.

cookie variables sound like a very good idea, but there needs to be some kind of restriction to prevent unlimited storage of data to a browser's cache.

Cookies could be used as spyware, like if a seller knew that you were interested in buying something, it'd up the price. If they knew you were playing this game, game devs might be able to increase the price of their game.

Lists already save data to the computer's hard drive, so you could use that instead.
But what if you want it automatically inside the project while also not requiring the user to input it in manually? Also, it's only for the project. By the way, lists don't save automatically.

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked
But you would need this suggestion implemented for that to work because a reload would immediately clear this without this suggestion implemented.

It's local and account specific, so if you logged onto a different account on the same device, or logged into the same account on a different device, the data would not be there, but if you reloaded or exited and re-entered the webpage on the same device and you are logged into the same account, the data would remain.
That's a totally different suggestion that doesn't make sense and isn't implemented.

Look at the script above.

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Some tutorials and scripts.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

That script is either broken or hard to make work. Also, this suggestion is required in order for that to (possibly) work.

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Try out my projects.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

Lists don't save across users reloading a project will reset the list to what it was before when you started using the project

yes
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

minecraftmanpp_tutor wrote:

(#445)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

Lists don't save across users reloading a project will reset the list to what it was before when you started using the project
If you go in to save the project then the list holds its value.

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Some tutorials and scripts.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

(#445)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

I know

yes
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

(#445)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

However, if someone else uses it, it will revert to the owner's value when they reload. This suggestion is about adding a feature that'll make such a thing like that possible.

Try out my projects.
Purple specimen

1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
RobotChickens
Scratcher
500+ posts

Snip anyone??? This is crazy.

Replying to SPAM is only adding more off-topic SPAM. Just report it.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature
Get cool forum emojis HERE
;

Fourmoji is back and updated!!

Google Noto Emoji is superior as you can see

finally fixed the button lol

;
lapisi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

RobotChickens wrote:

(#449)
agreed

don't forget

by the way MagicCoder330 is hosting a social experiment, I'm curious to see where it goes, please comment on it I want to see what the next phase is

uh… I just reported a project for including a swear word but in typing the report I accidentally reported it as the wrong swear word… well excrement
ssvbxx2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Very useful for saving game data. Support.

I'm ssvbxx2. I make a variety of original projects: games, animations, etc.

(Tile Scrolling Project | Square Root Calculator | Scratchy & Friends)

Last edited by kaj (Next year 00:00:00)
PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump That was unnecesary…

RobotChickens wrote:

(#449)
You got that right
Support. Because then you can store local variables and not have to worry about them getting hacked from the cloud.

Last edited by PaperMarioFan2022 (Dec. 25, 2023 16:28:41)

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support only if you were always able to delete or modify (Modifying these variables won't let you access cloud variables unless you delete them.) these variables to save space without having to reach the storage limit.
original post

Last edited by EDawg2011 (Dec. 25, 2023 17:30:30)

Please note that I may sometimes make a mistake and give wrong information.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

(Highlight text + down arrow + shift to see the rest of my signature.)

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l JOIN WORLD DOMINATION INC. TODAY! l Donate your soul! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

<0-0::sensing>//This is Charles; he protects my signature from evil kumquats.
when I'm spawned::events hat//This is the code Charles' brain runs on.
forever
if <[100] > (distance to [an evil kumquat v])> then
delete the evil kumquat::control
end
end

Be moist.

yadayadayadagoodbye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bump because dupe

Scratchers that I've cati-fied