Discuss Scratch

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pick one Scratch Team member to take down projects with tag spam.

This would help more people know that tag spam isn't allowed, and even some featured projects have tag spam.

Please note that I may sometimes make a mistake and give wrong information.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/747346/?page=1#post-7864829 - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

(Highlight text + down arrow + shift to see the rest of my signature.)

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

<0-0::sensing>//This is Charles; he protects my signature from evil kumquats.
when I'm spawned::events hat//This is the code Charles' brain runs on.
forever
if <[100] > (distance to [an evil kumquat v])> then
delete the evil kumquat::control
end
end

Be moist.

ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How do you know if the Scratch Team doesn't do this already? How do you know if this isn't already a collective effort from all Scratch Team members?
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ajskateboarder wrote:

How do you know if this isn't already a collective effort from all Scratch Team members?
They seem to not be bothering to look at trending and take down projects with tag spam and they're featuring projects with it.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/747346/?page=1#post-7864829 - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

forever
end
end

Be moist.

undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

ajskateboarder wrote:

How do you know if this isn't already a collective effort from all Scratch Team members?
They seem to not be bothering to look at trending and take down projects with tag spam and they're featuring projects with it.
That isn't how the Scratch Team functions they listen to reports. Not search for bad projects.

yes
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

That isn't how the Scratch Team functions they listen to reports. Not search for bad projects.
They need to start searching for projects with tag spam because barely ANYONE knows that tag spam isn't allowed.

forever
end
end

Be moist.

subjectnamehere
Scratcher
1000+ posts

while i agree that it's an issue, i don't think this is the right way to go about it. this'll only work for project on the trending page, and then they user probably think it got mass reported.

there's a suggestion for making an announcement about it but i can't use ocular rn so you'll have to do find it

uwu
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

subjectnamehere wrote:

they user probably think it got mass reported.
They could send an alert explaining that tag spam isn't allowed.

subjectnamehere wrote:

there's a suggestion for making an announcement about it but i can't use ocular rn so you'll have to do find it
There's other forum search engines, but here you go.

forever
end
end

Be moist.

The_Olcia
Scratcher
69 posts

subjectnamehere wrote:

while i agree that it's an issue, i don't think this is the right way to go about it. this'll only work for project on the trending page, and then they user probably think it got mass reported.

Actually this will also work for search

Based on this source it also affects search option

If you don't want to look where it says about it, then you have this:

alexandretherrien wrote:

The search feature and the explore tabs are sharing the same method to order projects. So clicking on the animations tab is the equivalent of searching ‘’animations’’ and clicking on trending. So projects on the animations tab are projects where the word ‘’animations’’ appear the most (tag spam), where “animations” is in the title (tag in the title), and where the description and the title is the shortest (having just one tag as a description).
- https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/656956/?page=1#post-6982666

Hey, don't eat toasts from my lunchbox… :D
yadayadayadagoodbye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I would believe that while tag spam is against the guidelines, simply taking down all projects which utulize it would be too big of a change to make, as it would cause a large amount of projects widely known to be taken down, thus causing large reprecussion.

tl: dr ST takes down tag spam, people go wa wa

Scratchers that I've cati-fied
cactus-cacti
Scratcher
100+ posts

entire scratch team: well i’m not doing it
uuhhhhh i’m not!
yes you are!
well someone has to

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Why one specific Scratch Team member? What if something else needs their attention while they're working on this? What if someone else is available to remove tag spam projects but they're not the moderator designated to do so?

Let's remember the purpose of the Report button. I believe it was @cheddargirl who stated a long time ago that the main job of moderators is similar to firefighters. Indeed, firefighters wait for someone to call about a fire, and then they go to put them out. They don't just drive around neighborhoods looking for fires. Similarly, it's not really a moderator's job to search through random parts of the website to find things that need attention. They rely on the Report button to respond to the problems on the website.

There's been a lot of discussion about tag spam in the forums lately. I'm going to put this out there: tag spam really isn't a big problem. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen — clearly it does — but it's nothing that always requires immediate attention. If the Scratch Team receives 100 reports about tag spam projects and also 100 reports about inappropriate adult-oriented projects, they should definitely prioritize removing the inappropriate adult-oriented projects.

Tag spam isn't allowed, but if we're being honest here, it's pretty mild compared to all the other bad things that some users do on this website. In that case I would recommend to everybody to chill out and try not to worry too much about the tag spam.

Last edited by Za-Chary (March 13, 2024 00:33:34)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
starlightsparker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Why one specific Scratch Team member? What if something else needs their attention while they're working on this? What if someone else is available to remove tag spam projects but they're not the moderator designated to do so?

Let's remember the purpose of the Report button. I believe it was @cheddargirl who stated a long time ago that the main job of moderators is similar to firefighters. Indeed, firefighters wait for someone to call about a fire, and then they go to put them out. They don't just drive around neighborhoods looking for fires. Similarly, it's not really a moderator's job to search through random parts of the website to find things that need attention. They rely on the Report button to respond to the problems on the website.

There's been a lot of discussion about tag spam in the forums lately. I'm going to put this out there: tag spam really isn't a big problem. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen — clearly it does — but it's nothing that always requires immediate attention. If the Scratch Team receives 100 reports about tag spam projects and also 100 reports about inappropriate adult-oriented projects, they should definitely prioritize removing the inappropriate adult-oriented projects.

Tag spam isn't allowed, but if we're being honest here, it's pretty mild compared to all the other bad things that some users do on this website. In that case I would recommend to everybody to chill out and try not to worry too much about the tag spam.
common zachary W

*ahem* sorry i had a little gen-z in my throat

jokes aside, i do agree with this…. i guess tag-spam really isnt that big of a deal, cuz like, its better then inapprpriate projects and etc

———————————————— ꒰ hello there ! ꒱ ————————————————
s͟t͟a͟r͟l͟i͟gh͟t͟ s.her » muslim#freepalestineforumer!has 2100+ forum posts
pakistani ᵎᵎ palestine supporter! cat person 2018 was 6 years ago?!
rounded 1000th postactual 1000th postpython historymy first forum post :D
» order at starpeach city! ৲ join the star bankmy notebookofftopic replies here )
the forums kitaesthetic notes tutmy fpcastarchatscratch - the journey
———————————————— ꒰ goodbye ! ^^ ꒱ ————————————————
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

But that system ain't gonna work with a rule that barely ANYONE knows about.

forever
end
end

Be moist.

PeteyTheParrot
Scratcher
100+ posts

That is ALOT of work for just one ST member ☠️☠️ And I’m pretty sure scratch already tries to take down projects with tag spam anyway though?

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PeteyTheParrot wrote:

That is ALOT of work for just one ST member ☠️☠️
If they took down all the projects on just the first few pages of trending with tag spam (not that hard), then probably WAY more people would know tag spam isn't allowed.

PeteyTheParrot wrote:

I’m pretty sure scratch already tries to take down projects with tag spam anyway though?
Are you sure? Tag spam projects sometimes get featured (by a ST member who probably doesn't know tag spam isn't allowed because that rule is so probably unnecessarily hidden), and some of my reports for tag spam STILL haven't been reviewed.

forever
end
end

Be moist.

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

If you really want to, start the chain and report a few projects with tag spam. Then those project creators will know that it's not allowed. Then they'll report some other projects with tag spam, and then word will start to spread.

At the same time, however, re-read the portion of my post which states that this shouldn't necessarily be something worth worrying about, and — understandably — this is not something that the Scratch Team is obligated to prioritize over other types of reports.

EDawg2011 wrote:

If they took down all the projects on just the first few pages of trending with tag spam (not that hard), then probably WAY more people would know tag spam isn't allowed.
What I wonder is why the Scratch Team should take down these projects as opposed to just editing the description to remove the tags.

EDawg2011 wrote:

PeteyTheParrot wrote:

I’m pretty sure scratch already tries to take down projects with tag spam anyway though?
Are you sure? Tag spam projects sometimes get featured (by a ST member who probably doesn't know tag spam isn't allowed because that rule is so probably unnecessarily hidden), and some of my reports for tag spam STILL haven't been reviewed.
Likely because it's not high priority.

My ideal solution would be for the Scratch Team to secretly change the Explore algorithms to have less emphasis on tags, without telling anyone, so that then people will keep tag spamming for no reason thinking that it's doing something when it's actually not. LOL

Last edited by Za-Chary (March 15, 2024 22:19:05)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021. I reached 20,000 forum posts on June 24th 2024.

yadayadayadagoodbye
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

EDawg2011 wrote:

If you really want to, start the chain and report a few projects with tag spam. Then those project creators will know that it's not allowed. Then they'll report some other projects with tag spam, and then word will start to spread.
From what I have seen, the ST is not actively taking these projects down even from reports. I might be wrong, but I have yet seen any projects on the trending page taken down for tag spam yet.

(ill test it right now, wish me gl)

Scratchers that I've cati-fied
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

yadayadayadagoodbye wrote:

From what I have seen, the ST is not actively taking these projects down even from reports. I might be wrong, but I have yet seen any projects on the trending page taken down for tag spam yet.
So this gets back into another thing I said above: “What I wonder is why the Scratch Team should take down these projects as opposed to just editing the description to remove the tags.” Is the Scratch Team at least removing tags from these sorts of projects without taking them down?

undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

What I wonder is why the Scratch Team should take down these projects as opposed to just editing the description to remove the tags
I mean the damage was already done the project is already popular so it won't get much more popular by removing tags.

yes
co0lcr34t10ns
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

My ideal solution would be for the Scratch Team to secretly change the Explore algorithms to have less emphasis on tags, without telling anyone, so that then people will keep tag spamming for no reason thinking that it's doing something when it's actually not. LOL
Oh my god you are a genius I am DONE with tag spam. I think OP's suggestion is too harsh. This is perfect!

Za-Chary wrote:

What I wonder is why the Scratch Team should take down these projects as opposed to just editing the description to remove the tags.
Good point. The thing is, would the algorithm change the project's position after the fact?

I'm a professional forum lurker who likes Vocaloid, retro games, and story writing.

Social Experiment Generation 0: Add this to your signature increase generation by 1 and add the username of the person whose signature you saw this in to this studio

I am the 454th most active TIRAP forumer. Wow! Not surprised in any way though.

I love the OG mods. They are just done with forum trolls.