Discuss Scratch

54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Cached Variables!! [Saved Games!] / Locally Saved Variables

Bump?

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Welcome to the world of @54387a!™
Try out my projects.
To donate an internet, go here.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

Creating Content since October 2022
1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
Minecraft_Master3964
Scratcher
500+ posts

54387a wrote:

Bump?
IT'S THE 22ND KING!!! Congrats!

This is my signature

Some games I want people to see and support:
Dungeon Creator
Spongebob RPG (Beta) The Ultimate Adventure!

Mister game boi:
(+['-']⋯)

Mister EYES boi:
((\(o)_(o\)))

Some weird blocks:

move (if <> then {} ::control stack) steps

when times green flag clicked > (10) ::hat events

Some Blocks from other programming languages

try {} except ( v) {} ::control

Best quotes ever:

WhoLetHimOut wrote:

Bump the trilogy Bump, Bump: The sequel and Bump (the trash reboot that everyone hated but still watched
minekraftkid
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but I 100% support. It's been beautifully implemented in turbowarp, and I'd love to see it as part of the native scratch experience.

Play [Hugo! v] :: sensing :: block // https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/638843573
VedanshS933
Scratcher
1000+ posts

minekraftkid wrote:

I'm not sure if this is still relevant, but I 100% support. It's been beautifully implemented in turbowarp, and I'd love to see it as part of the native scratch experience.

This is relevant

Home OS 3.0 Coming Soon!
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/880616996/

Post Count - 2000+!
1. Suggestions 1100+ (first time hitting 1000 on a subforum!)
2. Questions about Scratch 250+
3. Advanced Topics 230+
4. New Scratchers 100+
5. Show & Tell 80+
6. Bugs and Glitches 70+

redesigning the signature
mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

IDK if this has been suggested, but localStorage could be used instead of cookies. 2560 digits (the cloud variable limit) is very little for a savegame.

Also, there should be an option to clear these local variables.

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
Minecraft_Master3964
Scratcher
500+ posts

mumu245 wrote:

IDK if this has been suggested, but localStorage could be used instead of cookies. 2560 digits (the cloud variable limit) is very little for a savegame.

Also, there should be an option to clear these local variables.
Yeah, I think Local Storage would be more efficient than cookies

This is my signature

Some games I want people to see and support:
Dungeon Creator
Spongebob RPG (Beta) The Ultimate Adventure!

Mister game boi:
(+['-']⋯)

Mister EYES boi:
((\(o)_(o\)))

Some weird blocks:

move (if <> then {} ::control stack) steps

when times green flag clicked > (10) ::hat events

Some Blocks from other programming languages

try {} except ( v) {} ::control

Best quotes ever:

WhoLetHimOut wrote:

Bump the trilogy Bump, Bump: The sequel and Bump (the trash reboot that everyone hated but still watched
TeenySpoon
Scratcher
500+ posts

Support, this would remove the hassle of a player getting a save code, storing it, and then remembering where she stored it.
Also would be useful for big games like the one I'm working on right now. A save code is possible, but I think locally storing it would be better.

⚜ TeenySpoon ⚜ Alt: TeenyTea
An absent-minded programmer/artist

A Random Pen Window Manager
⚜ Me ⚜ TeenyForkTeenyKnife

“We are pilgrims on the journey
We are travelers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load”
- “The Servant Song”, David Haas
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

As long as you do it right, cloud variables are a very effective method of saved games.
right, but with several users writing to the cloud at once, it can sometimes cause collisions and mishaps. like in my internetz game, I frequently get complaints about data not being saved correctly, and when I investigate it comes down to two or more users saving data at the same time. so a cloud list is not a foolproof option for per-player saved data.

cookie variables sound like a very good idea, but there needs to be some kind of restriction to prevent unlimited storage of data to a browser's cache.

Cookies could be used as spyware, like if a seller knew that you were interested in buying something, it'd up the price. If they knew you were playing this game, game devs might be able to increase the price of their game.

Lists already save data to the computer's hard drive, so you could use that instead.

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Some tutorials and scripts.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
sowut123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

As long as you do it right, cloud variables are a very effective method of saved games.
right, but with several users writing to the cloud at once, it can sometimes cause collisions and mishaps. like in my internetz game, I frequently get complaints about data not being saved correctly, and when I investigate it comes down to two or more users saving data at the same time. so a cloud list is not a foolproof option for per-player saved data.

cookie variables sound like a very good idea, but there needs to be some kind of restriction to prevent unlimited storage of data to a browser's cache.

Cookies could be used as spyware, like if a seller knew that you were interested in buying something, it'd up the price. If they knew you were playing this game, game devs might be able to increase the price of their game.

Lists already save data to the computer's hard drive, so you could use that instead.
Yeah, but you can't do that on Scratch. You can't pay for anything on Scratch, and variables would be only accessible by the projects that saved them.

Over the years, I've outgrown this website, so this is a mostly inactive account. I might come back from time to time to mess around, but don't count on it. Bye.
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

But what if you want it automatically inside the project while also not requiring the user to input it in manually? Also, it's only for the project. By the way, lists don't save automatically.

Edit: Ninja'd

Last edited by 54387a (Aug. 16, 2023 18:45:16)

Everything below the grey line right above is my signature. By the way, my signature isn't related to my post in case you didn't know.
Try out my projects.
Go here to check if your suggestion is rejected. To check if your topic is a duplicate, use ocular. Remember, don't post on irrelevant topics otherwise that's necroposting. By the way, if you feel like your project/studio was wrongfully taken down, tell the Scratch Team through Contact Us.
Whenever you see something that looks clearly offensive and/or something not Scratch-appropriate, report it.
Purple specimen

1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

But what if you want it automatically inside the project while also not requiring the user to input it in manually? Also, it's only for the project. By the way, lists don't save automatically.

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
replace (1) of [list name v] with (variable name)
end

when flag clicked
set [variable name v] to (list name :: list)

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked
But you would need this suggestion implemented for that to work because a reload would immediately clear this without this suggestion implemented.

Last edited by 54387a (Aug. 16, 2023 23:11:49)

Try out my projects.
Purple specimen

1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
RobotChickens
Scratcher
500+ posts

bump

Replying to SPAM is only adding more off-topic SPAM. Just report it.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature
Get cool forum emojis HERE
;

Fourmoji is back and updated!!

Google Noto Emoji is superior as you can see

finally fixed the button lol

;
josueart
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support.

Note: localStorage could be a better option than cookies, but normal browsers have a hard limit of ~5 MB of data per website, about 5242880 characters, so it may not be the ideal solution.

Edit: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Storage_API/Storage_quotas_and_eviction_criteria#web_storage

Last edited by josueart (Aug. 26, 2023 20:58:39)

Check this Scratch status monitor I made with BetterStack: https://scratch.betteruptime.com
scratchcode1_2_3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

josueart wrote:

(#434)
~5 MB
MiB, not MB*
MiB is slightly bigger, but i get your point, it's not really that much but it's not too small either. it's about the same size of the project.json limit

I am scratchcode1_2_3 I like making projects based on…………………………cubes?
select + shift + scroll down to see my signature | Also, comment on my Comment animations #2 + Bonus Q+A!
when green flag clicked
set [scratchcode v] to [1_2_3]
add [hello] to [list v]
stop [every single project v]
BLOCK
define BLOCK
click green flag

SIGNATURE

I'm very helpful when it comes to coding projects, not very helpful when it comes to art decently helpful when it comes to art (i wrote that a long time ago when i couldn't draw) XD
So, If you need help, I'll be there! (when I'm active, of course)

picture made with awesome-llama's image editor– go check it out: scratch | turbowarp it saves to BBCode and other formats as well

Order on my shop now! Orders open! Need staff.

(#^-^) // this is a circly that is now good! he defends my signature! that bite mark is from the time josueart tried to eat it... 
Oh no! The circly was bitten by josueart!

dogfish517
Scratcher
72 posts

bump

when green flag clicked
set [ Name] to [dogfish517]
say [Hello] for (pick random (1) to (5)) secs
say (join [My name is ] (name)) for (2) secs
Create ((pick random (100) to (100000000))) [High] quality projects
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked
But you would need this suggestion implemented for that to work because a reload would immediately clear this without this suggestion implemented.

It's local and account specific, so if you logged onto a different account on the same device, or logged into the same account on a different device, the data would not be there, but if you reloaded or exited and re-entered the webpage on the same device and you are logged into the same account, the data would remain.

54387a
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

It's local and account specific, so if you logged onto a different account on the same device, or logged into the same account on a different device, the data would not be there, but if you reloaded or exited and re-entered the webpage on the same device and you are logged into the same account, the data would remain.
That's a totally different suggestion that doesn't make sense and isn't implemented.

Try out my projects.
Purple specimen

1,000th post

Za-Chary wrote:

silly me
(Source)
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

54387a wrote:

(#438)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#432)

superbuddy2 wrote:

54387a wrote:

(#433)

superbuddy2 wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

(#3)

Superdoggy wrote:

All you need is this:

when flag clicked
forever
end

when flag clicked

That's a totally different suggestion that doesn't make sense and isn't implemented.

No, that's how list saving works.

__Falcon-Games__
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well this could be very good with restrictions like they can only access their own data and don't sneak into other cookies or anything like that.
If we used local storage however a lot of the problems would be avoided.
Right now I am not that sure, leaning towards support, if someone could give me a TLDR with clarification and all the main points, I could make a better decision.

OP wrote:

I have a better idea, rather than storing cached vars as cookies (which makes people complain about spam), “cached” vars should actually be stored with each Scratch user's account info on the Scratch server.

That could slow down the Scratch servers even more then now!

Last edited by __Falcon-Games__ (Sept. 23, 2023 09:02:16)

Try out Noml!