Scratcher
1 post

Cached Variables!! [Saved Games!] / Locally Saved Variables

what
bsteichman
Scratcher
100+ posts

i was thinking they were stored as cookies on your computer, you can choose to have them or not. many other sites have cookies. and scratch doesn't have to store it on their servers. which is one of the main reasons there is a char limit (lack of server space)

Woah, a signature! :: control
AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bsteichman wrote:

i was thinking they were stored as cookies on your computer, you can choose to have them or not. many other sites have cookies. and scratch doesn't have to store it on their servers. which is one of the main reasons there is a char limit (lack of server space)
Could you rephrase this? I'm finding it hard to understand - you said Scratch don't store “it” (you never elaborate on what “it” is) on their servers, and you said that that is why there are character limits.

~ AHypnoman (Use Shift+Down Arrow to see the rest of my signature)

I am an evil kumquat, and your siggy looks tasty…
Hello there, I'm AHypnoman, If you write my name remember to capitalize the “H”. “When you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. your tastes only narrow & exclude people. so create.” I write though as tho.
According to the Chrome Console, my viewbox attribute is “Garbage”. Very nice, Chrome.
#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

InfinityLoopGaming
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support this. I could use this in my games.

Hello, I am InfinityLoop (he/him/his)
You can find me here, on GitHub, or on itch.io.
I enjoy coding and making music.
qwerty_wasd_gone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

example:
(:D *variable name*)

shift+ctrl+down arrow to scroll
I may sometimes make mistakes, change my mind, etc., and edit my posts
When (::red) clicked :: events hat
repeat until <key [all v] pressed?>{
destroy this sprite::control cap
when @greenFlag misclicked::events hat
become idiot::custom}::control
(╯°□° ╯︵ ┻━┻::red)::#000000 reporter//this is brad, he creates cursed scripts like the one you saw above
(ㆆ_ㆆ)//this is max, he stares at you with that expression if you say you don't support my suggestion

You found me
andriydzundz24
Scratcher
1 post

How is that old topic????
-ErrorPurpl_157
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support

No signature currently stored in profile. (we all know that’s cap)

Technoblade Never Dies -Everyone
==================================
My old account ≈> TheRealAGJ
Want to make the NYC subway? ≈> Click Here
This is how I make mockups ≈> Over Here
==================================
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is a great idea, and it doesn't matter how secure cookies are since what we're dealing with is, well, Scratch projects. Not a banking site or something. This wouldn't even require a Scratcher rank since you aren't abusing the servers with your data. Support!

By the way, if you have an issue with cookies, I would suggest using Local storage as it has a higher char limit (max cookies: 0.73728 MB, local storage: 5 MB) than cookies and persists even after the window has been closed.
Lavender_lillypad
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bump

I’m Leila. I’m gender-fluid, so if my pronouns and name changes, my gender does too. I enjoy watching soccer, golf and car racing. My pronouns are flexible, but please don’t use it/its. Merry Christmas!
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Superdoggy wrote:

This can already be done, like through cloud variables.

See Ultimate Game Creator 5 by Yllie and Cloud Platformer Multiplayer Fun v1.11 by Griffpatch. As long as you do it right, cloud variables are a very effective method of saved games.

Yeah, but for ease of use, cached variables are necessary. I don't see why you'd need Scratcher Status for this, because it would only be for local account systems, so you could make a clicker game, play it on your PC, and pick up where you left off on your phone. Some people wouldn't be bothered to wait to upgrade their accounts just to sync data. Especially for learning apps, the Scratcher Status requirement would be a massive pain.

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Some tutorials and scripts.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Music-Maker wrote:

A different solution:

Have the project output some value that describes a scratcher's progress in a RPG (or whatever it's used for). The scratcher the can copy and save it somewhere. When the scratcher returns to the project, they enter the code and the project uses that to continue where the scratcher left off.

That's what save codes currently do.

Hi! This is my signature - @superbuddy2 - and I am taking applications for my Scratch Operating System, where I plan to make a full-on third-party app store. Go here to submit your application. Also there is a basic trailer here. I will also be publishing updates here.

Share your favourite projects or creators here, for the new Scratch Rewind series.
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

evanmpoe wrote:

Lots of support but one problem, what still what about if the internet goes down without saving

Just save it locally until you log back in with internet connection.

BlueDragonKai
Scratcher
22 posts

bump
bendylikesfnf
Scratcher
4 posts

andriydzundz24 wrote:

what

bsteichman wrote:

lol
BlueDragonKai
Scratcher
22 posts

bump
Knightbot63
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-ErrorPurpl_157 wrote:

Support
Can you give a reason why you support?

Working on an RPG. Consistently losing followers because of inactivity.
I head to forums time-to-time. Not as much as I used to.
cookieclickerer33
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Local cloud variables!
I support!

⠀ ⠀ I beat Mario 64 yay! ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ I love you ivy & may :3
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀ ⠀GEOMETRY DASH

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ MecanX Disk 0 : Coming march 27th
superbuddy2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Account saved variables would be lovely.

MyScratchedAccount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Semi support. People may switch devices. But other than that support

Links:

Give An Internet - - My Profile - My Best Project Of The Week - Am I Online? - on wiki, go to my talk

Scratched//Boy/Him/He////Likes Apples//Coder //
—-
Go to Codin[co
MyScratchedAccount
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also, what if multiple people use it and there is swear words In there or if you switch browsers? Is it IP based

Last edited by MyScratchedAccount (Jan. 16, 2023 11:43:34)

Links:

Give An Internet - - My Profile - My Best Project Of The Week - Am I Online? - on wiki, go to my talk

Scratched//Boy/Him/He////Likes Apples//Coder //
—-
Go to Codin[co