1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

bumper cars
hiPeeps124816
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Support, this could be useful for fake 3d
also nobody knows why scratch team removed it (maybe it was buggy?)

Generation 7: First time you see this? Copy and paste it on top of your signature in the forums and increase generation by 1.

thethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethe
Specs -
Browser: Varies, usually Safari 15.3 or Opera GX 83 or Firefox 96
Computer: Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5
highlight and shift down arrow

;
chess300
Scratcher
24 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

NOTE: before going off and saying “oh this can be done in costumes so this is bad” know that the costume version is choppy and time-consuming and causes lag. And besides a lot of blocks can be done in costumes as well, like every effect, size, show, hide. I had to add this warning because people kept on saying “this can be done with costumes so no support”

And another NOTE: please don’t take into account that this used to exist. If it was removed, then it would be beneficial to have it back.

So, this stretch effect could have two variants: side-stretch and wide-stretch.

Side-stretch:
Squishes a sprite model inward. It moves the left and right inward and the top and bottom stretch outward giving the sprite a “stretch” effect

Wide-stretch:
Squishes a model inward. It moves the top and bottom inward And the left and right outward giving the sprite a “stretch” effect

Wide stretch would be the positive value of the effect, as it does stretch outward, and side stretch would be the negative value, as it stretches inward. The outward/inward terms are based on the left/right sides of the sprite.

Revamped OP

So, this suggestion is to add a “stretch” effect into the effects palette. Stretch is when two sides are stretched outward and the sprite gets elongated in appearance and shape. When I mentioned “Side-stretch” and “Wide-stretch” I meant over and below 0 on the stretch. 0 Would be default stretch, and if it went above 0, the left and right sides would stretch outward, while the upper and lower sides would be squished to the center, while below 0 would be the opposite, the left-right sides stretching inward and the upper-lower sides stretching outward. Seems pretty straightforward, eh? This is not the historic stretch, though it has almost the same effect. Stretch was it’s own value with it’s own reporter, and wasn’t an effect, with 100 being default rather than 0.

Mock-up using costumes: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/636391279

Reply with add-ons to this that could be useful, or what you think of this suggestion! Please alert me if there is a duplicate!

What the blocks would look like:
change [stretch v] effect by (25)
set [stretch v] effect to (0)

Maybe this approach would be better:

stretch to xyz pixels width abc pixels height, but then can't you already do that in the scratch image editor. Unless you mean photoshop warp tool which can be added to the editor and not coded into a project.
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

chess300 wrote:

-snip-
Maybe this approach would be better:

stretch to xyz pixels width abc pixels height, but then can't you already do that in the scratch image editor. Unless you mean photoshop warp tool which can be added to the editor and not coded into a project.
This is not about stretching a sprite or an image by height and width. There are too many duplicates of that.

k0d3rrr

3 forum tips for experienced forumers (in no particular order):
  1. If you are reporting a new forumer's topic to be closed, or moved to another forum, don't mention it, because then, the topic creator will think they will receive either an alert or a ban.

2. New forumers won't immediately know the rules or terminology of the forums. I have seen this happen hundreds of times (exaggeratedly), especially when experienced forumers (I won't name any) tell new forumers that they are "necroposting", which is when someone posts on an old and resolved topic (especially in the Questions about Scratch forum), causing said topic to be moved to the front page of that forum.

3. Using Scratchblocks as a writing style is not blockspam, unless it is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, this

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

How do I make a smooth gliding animation?
    when green flag clicked
    repeat until <(my question) = [answered]>
    ask [How do I make a smooth gliding animation?] and wait
    end
    say [Thank you!]
    is not blockspam, but these

ExampleScratcher2 (first post) wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    play sound [Stock Laughter Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    forever
    play sound [Stock Screaming Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    switch backdrop to [internet v]
    say [i broke the internet] for (2) secs
    turn cw (15) degrees
    go to [nearby restaurant v]
    next costume
    end

ExampleScratcher2 (second post) wrote:

when green flag clicked
    repeat until <(out of dorito's) = [true]>
    broadcast [eat dorito chip v]
    end
    say [IM OUT OF DORITO'S!!!!!!!!! :(]
    play sound [Scream2 v] until done
    forever
    turn cw (120) degrees
    play sound [Scream2 v]
    play sound [we have no dorito's sorry v]
    end
    are blockspam, and must be reported.
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I have another example to share of how users might use the stretch effect. My project is written in Snap because Snap is pretty much like Scratch and has a stretch effect. You can find it here: https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?user=10goto10&project=More%20fun%20with%20Stretch

It has an option to run the animation with and without using the stretch effect.

I was hoping that the other people who supported this suggestion would give Snap a try to see what projects they could make that used the stretch effect. That would be a very good way to show the Scratch Team that people really would use this feature if it were added to Scratch. Snap is very similar to Scratch and can be found here: https://snap.berkeley.edu/

You could look at my project to see how it is done. There also is a way to transfer any Scratch program to Snap and from there you could experiment with adding the stretch effect to your projects.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Breaking News: BUMP.

k0d3rrr

1. If you are reporting a new forumer's topic to be closed, or moved to another forum, don't mention it, because then, the topic creator will think they will receive either an alert or a ban.

2. New forumers won't immediately know the rules or terminology of the forums. I have seen this happen hundreds of times (exaggeratedly), especially when experienced forumers (I won't name any) tell new forumers that they are "necroposting", which is when someone posts on an old and resolved topic (especially in the Questions about Scratch forum), causing said topic to be moved to the front page of that forum.

3. Using Scratchblocks as a writing style is not blockspam, unless it is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, this

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

when green flag clicked
    end
    forever
    turn cw (120) degrees
    play sound [Scream2 v]
    end
I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

10goto10 wrote:

I have another example to share of how users might use the stretch effect. My project is written in Snap because Snap is pretty much like Scratch and has a stretch effect. You can find it here: https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?user=10goto10&project=More%20fun%20with%20Stretch

It has an option to run the animation with and without using the stretch effect.

I was hoping that the other people who supported this suggestion would give Snap a try to see what projects they could make that used the stretch effect. That would be a very good way to show the Scratch Team that people really would use this feature if it were added to Scratch. Snap is very similar to Scratch and can be found here: https://snap.berkeley.edu/

You could look at my project to see how it is done. There also is a way to transfer any Scratch program to Snap and from there you could experiment with adding the stretch effect to your projects.
forever
point towards [random direction v]
repeat (20)
move (10) steps
stamp

end
end

press ctrl+shift+down to see my full siggy!
1000th post
Scratch Team, please add targeted links for the forums!

FIRST EVER SCRATCH PROJECT!!!!!!! IT'S HISTORY!
I have a github account! I can make Websites!
People in the suggestions forums:
YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!

Check out The Forum Helpers!
#StandwithUkraine I am Ukrainian, and lots of my family lives there, please pray for Ukraine

Helpful emoji: ███
T0RRENT_
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

or maybe a blur option?

My Website | Profile | GitHub | Click this link | I changed my logo for now I guess

My browser / operating system: ChromeOS 14388.61.0, Chrome 98.0.4758.107, No Flash version detected | crappy school chromebook

Perfect line separator to use in the Scratch Forums:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

T0RRENT_ wrote:

or maybe a blur option?
Please don't hijack threads. You could create your own topic for that. Thanks!

press ctrl+shift+down to see my full siggy!
1000th post
Scratch Team, please add targeted links for the forums!

FIRST EVER SCRATCH PROJECT!!!!!!! IT'S HISTORY!
I have a github account! I can make Websites!
People in the suggestions forums:
YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!

Check out The Forum Helpers!
#StandwithUkraine I am Ukrainian, and lots of my family lives there, please pray for Ukraine

Helpful emoji: ███
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

A wild “BUMP” came to fight you

some know me as the guy who only posted in suggestions
i have returned once more

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bring
Up
My

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

No, it couldn't be…
IT'S A BUMP!

k0d3rrr

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

when green flag clicked
    end
    forever
    turn cw (120) degrees
    play sound [Scream2 v]
    end
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bumt

RIMOPA
Scratcher
6 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Ok, imagine if there are a organization that hear suggestion of scratch blocks called Scratch Community Edition, just imagine if that imaginary organization almost add the stretch effect to his block palette, because the organization have a custom block palette, like the scratch mods, it would be cool, not?

RI-MO-PÁ
Bye, thanks for reading!
Chau, ¡Gracias por leer!
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

RIMOPA wrote:

.. just imagine if that imaginary organization almost add the stretch effect to his block palette, because the organization have a custom block palette

Well, there is an organization with a custom block palette called snap! that actually has added a stretch effect. So, we could each go and try making projects with it.

RIMOPA wrote:

… it would be cool, not?

It is cool to be able to make projects with this feature. I’ve enjoyed making some projects with it, but, it’s not as cool as being able to share projects on the Scratch web site. It’s better when we can remix projects and add stretching, or add our stretch projects to stretch studios, or use the stretch effect in our projects for the the latest Scratch design studio.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

A Legendary Bump appeared!

k0d3rrr

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

when green flag clicked
    end
    forever
    turn cw (120) degrees
    play sound [Scream2 v]
    end
k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

k0d3rrr

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    end
    say [Thank you!]

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    forever
    turn cw (15) degrees
    next costume
    end

when green flag clicked
    end
    forever
    turn cw (120) degrees
    play sound [Scream2 v]
    end
Marc92020
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

ok you guys are going way to insane with the bumping

Marc92020
i do stuff

image updates whenever i check
meunspeakable
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

This is a duplicate. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/415802/?page=1
The linked suggestion suggests a transformations extension. This would be the equivalent of
set [horizontal v] scale to (someamount)% 
not to mention that their mockups are the most beautiful I have ever seen

Last edited by meunspeakable (March 13, 2022 18:08:11)

▒█▀▄▀█ █▀▀ █░░█ █▀▀▄ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀█ █░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀▄ █░░ █▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ █▀▀ █░░█ █░░█ ▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ █▄▄█ █▀▄ █▄▄█ █▀▀▄ █░░ █▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▀▀▀ ░▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ █▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀░▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀░ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀

⸢So many misfortunes exist in this world, so is there a reason to feel sorrow for every single one of them?⸥
- Sing-Shong

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ More Quotes! ▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

⸢Don’t think things will improve if you repeat them a few times⸥

⸢What made a person truly exhausted was not despair. No, it was ‘hope’ that was seemingly on the cusp of coming true but would never become reality.⸥

⸢The darkness in the universe was simply too wide and expansive. Its vastness couldn’t be crossed even with the speed of light. However, that light would eventually arrive at its destination. Unable to see it didn’t mean nothing existed there. There were some things that emitted light where no one was around.⸥

⸢One had to accept that sometimes, you’ll run into a sentence you can’t yet and flip the page over. Just so that, one day, you’d be able to read that sentence when you did return to the very same page later⸥

- Sing-Shong
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

meunspeakable wrote:

This is a duplicate. https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/415802/?page=1
The linked suggestion suggests a transformations extension. This would be the equivalent of
set [horizontal v] scale to (someamount)% 
not to mention that their mockups are the most beautiful I have ever seen
That’s an entire extension with each scale having separate values, with several reporters and booleans along with it. Then my suggestion: a single block: stretch. In the effects category. No new blocks. There are a lot of differences, the only similarity being that it might be possible to pull off wanted effect accurately with that,