Discuss Scratch

I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Thunderguy77 wrote:

The addition of these blocks would be very useful. They could be correlated with the size blocks. Perhaps rather than having stretch as a sort of effect, it could be included as a width and height variable. If this functionality were to be included, it would make many things so much easier to program. Support!
This was suggested countless times in the replies before, and @VeryFamous doesn't want to change it

press ctrl+shift+down to see my full siggy!
1000th post
Scratch Team, please add targeted links for the forums!

FIRST EVER SCRATCH PROJECT!!!!!!! IT'S HISTORY!
I have a github account! I can make Websites!
People in the suggestions forums:
YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!

Check out The Forum Helpers!
#StandwithUkraine I am Ukrainian, and lots of my family lives there, please pray for Ukraine

Helpful emoji: ███
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bump

some know me as the guy who only posted in suggestions
i have returned once more

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

Bump
Congrats on getting this into the directory!

1000th post

YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!

#StandwithUkraine I am Ukrainian, and lots of my family lives there, please pray for Ukraine

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF wrote:

VeryFamus wrote:

Bump
Congrats on getting this into the directory!
Yay

Now I can get to my post when it’s been afk for days

Last edited by VeryFamus (Jan. 29, 2022 03:20:33)

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
Bleebtown
Scratcher
22 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Wasn't this a real thing before?

Ayo what the heck is a signature
when I receive [Search Google v]
say [Oh ok, that's cool I guess]
Bleebtown
Scratcher
22 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

wait i didnt read that part correctly sorry

Ayo what the heck is a signature
when I receive [Search Google v]
say [Oh ok, that's cool I guess]
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bleebtown wrote:

Wasn't this a real thing before?
It was, but it wasn’t an effect rather than an independent value. 100 would be default stretch while the suggestion present says 0 would be default, and the old wasn’t in the effects palette in the first place.

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Just revamped the OP

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bumt

10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

In the hope that a fun example would help persuade the Scratch Team that a Stretch effect would be a fun and engaging feature for them to add to Scratch, I ported part one of my Scratch 1.4 Adventure with Stretch series to the Snap! website. Snap! is like Scratch but it has a stretch block. This is just an example of how it could someday be used in a Scratch project.

Adventure with Stretch Part One

Update: I changed to links to my Snap! project. They now point to the presentation page where you can see my project notes and the project seems to be a better size.

Last edited by 10goto10 (Jan. 30, 2022 16:48:32)

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

cs4912647
Scratcher
13 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

NOTE: before going off and saying “oh this can be done in costumes so this is bad” know that the costume version is choppy and time-consuming and causes lag. And besides a lot of blocks can be done in costumes as well, like every effect, size, show, hide. I had to add this warning because people kept on saying “this can be done with costumes so no support”

And another NOTE: please don’t take into account that this used to exist. If it was removed, then it would be beneficial to have it back.

So, this stretch effect could have two variants: side-stretch and wide-stretch.

Side-stretch:
Squishes a sprite model inward. It moves the left and right inward and the top and bottom stretch outward giving the sprite a “stretch” effect

Wide-stretch:
Squishes a model inward. It moves the top and bottom inward And the left and right outward giving the sprite a “stretch” effect

Wide stretch would be the positive value of the effect, as it does stretch outward, and side stretch would be the negative value, as it stretches inward. The outward/inward terms are based on the left/right sides of the sprite.

Revamped OP

So, this suggestion is to add a “stretch” effect into the effects palette. Stretch is when two sides are stretched outward and the sprite gets elongated in appearance and shape. When I mentioned “Side-stretch” and “Wide-stretch” I meant over and below 0 on the stretch. 0 Would be default stretch, and if it went above 0, the left and right sides would stretch outward, while the upper and lower sides would be squished to the center, while below 0 would be the opposite, the left-right sides stretching inward and the upper-lower sides stretching outward. Seems pretty straightforward, eh? This is not the historic stretch, though it has almost the same effect. Stretch was it’s own value with it’s own reporter, and wasn’t an effect, with 100 being default rather than 0.

Reply with add-ons to this that could be useful, or what you think of this suggestion! Please alert me if there is a duplicate!

What the blocks would look like:
change [stretch v] effect by (25)
set [stretch v] effect to (0)
In my opinion, the stretch blocks would be useful, but they also need a direction to be stretched/squished in. My idea for the blocks is this:

change [stretch v] effect by (25) in direction (90) :: looks

change [squish v] effect by (25) in direction (90) :: looks

set [stretch v] effect to (0) :: looks

set [squish v] effect to (0) :: looks

I also think that, even though negative numbers could squish it, there isn't a reason why a sprite can't be stretched in one direction, but squished in another.

I love point-and-click adventures, music, and video games
Loves to do things nobody else does
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

cs4912647 wrote:

VeryFamus wrote:

-snip-
In my opinion, the stretch blocks would be useful, but they also need a direction to be stretched/squished in. My idea for the blocks is this:

change [stretch v] effect by (25) in direction (90) :: looks

change [squish v] effect by (25) in direction (90) :: looks

set [stretch v] effect to (0) :: looks

set [squish v] effect to (0) :: looks

I also think that, even though negative numbers could squish it, there isn't a reason why a sprite can't be stretched in one direction, but squished in another.

Hi! Welcome to the forums. Please don’t quote the OP (Original Post) of a topic. And, you present a good argument, but I believe that’s been suggested- I don’t want this topic to become a duplicate (:

Last edited by VeryFamus (Jan. 30, 2022 20:28:52)

10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

cs4912647 wrote:

In my opinion, the stretch blocks would be useful,…
The problem with adding blocks to the palette is that the Scratch Team is reluctant to consider any suggestion that proposes them. Paddle2see once said “ Every new block that is added makes it a bit more complex - so new blocks are added only after long consideration.” https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/65930/?page=2#post-839202

The suggestion in this topic gets around problem that by adding this feature to the list of effects which means that it does not affect the initial look of the Scratch editor.

What I think would help this discussion is if people gave some case studies (like I did in a previous post) showing or explaining where this feature might be used to make fun projects that promoted tinkering, combining, making something new. Maybe more people could make example projects in Snap! that used it’s stretch block and then shared the links here.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Here is a workaround using 101 costumes- https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/636391279

NOTE: it only goes to 100 and does not show negatives, though I think you can guess what the negatives would do based on current animation.

I_LOVE_TO_MAKE_STUFF
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

Here is a workaround using 101 costumes- https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/636391279

NOTE: it only goes to 100 and does not show negatives, though I think you can guess what the negatives would do based on current animation.
That's very neat, could be very useful

1000th post

YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bumt

10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Here’s yet another example of how programmers might use a stretch effect. I have again made the project in Snap! because it is easy to use since it is like programming with Scratch like blocks and it has a way of stretching a costume.

I made an I-spy type game to show that using a stretch effect adds to the fun of distorting a bunch of images.

The program is here: https://snap.berkeley.edu/project?user=10goto10&project=I%20spy

I was hoping that other people might make example Snap! projects showing uses of the Stretch effect and post them here to support this suggestion. The basic set of the blocks in Snap! are pretty much the same as the blocks in Scratch. As long as you don’t need to make a list then Snap! should be easy to use and therefore people could, if they wanted to, make animations and art using its blocks with the stretch block.

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Hey kids! Today we are going to learn about my favorite acronym: B.U.M.P. . Kid 1: What does bump stand for? Me: simple, Timmy.

Bring
Up
My
Post!

k0d3rrr
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Breaking News! Another BUMP has been detected!

5 forum tips:
  1. If you are reporting a new forumer's topic to be closed, or moved to another forum, don't mention it, because then, the topic creator will think they will receive either an alert or a ban.

2. New forumers won't immediately know the rules or terminology of the forums. I have seen this happen hundreds of times (exaggeratedly), especially when experienced forumers (I won't name any) tell new forumers that they are "necroposting", which is when someone posts on an old and resolved topic (especially in the Questions about Scratch forum), causing said topic to be moved to the front page of that forum.

3. Using Scratchblocks as a writing style is not blockspam, unless it is irrelevant to the discussion. For example, this

ExampleScratcher1 wrote:

How do I make a smooth gliding animation?
    when green flag clicked
    repeat until <(my question) = [answered]>
    ask [How do I make a smooth gliding animation?] and wait
    end
    say [Thank you!]
    is not blockspam, but this

ExampleScratcher2 wrote:

when green flag clicked
    move (58) steps
    play sound [Stock Laughter Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    forever
    play sound [Stock Screaming Sound Effect HD - 1 Hour v]
    switch backdrop to [internet v]
    say [i broke the internet] for (2) secs
    turn cw (15) degrees
    go to [nearby restaurant v]
    next costume
    end
    is blockspam, which should be reported.

4. Even if you name your topic something like “ignore” or “DON'T POST ON HERE IF YOU AREN'T A MEMBER OF OUR GROUP!”, people will still post on your topic because topics are meant to be viewed by everyone.

5. Just be respectful at all times.
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

A wild bump appeared!
Edit: king of the 10th page: we are so close to 200 posts!

Last edited by VeryFamus (Feb. 4, 2022 16:30:23)