VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

dj_greener wrote:

Support!

And here a extra:
(stretch :: looks) // reports the stretch value
An effect’s reporter doesn’t exist, so why would it be added with stretch?

some know me as the guy who only posted in suggestions
i have returned once more

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
mumu245
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

dogeiscut wrote:

dhuls wrote:

TurtleLegos wrote:

No support, you can do this with costumes.
which is overly complex.
And you can change the size of a sprite with costumes, your point?
Yes.

select this text then press Ctrl+Shift+Down to read more
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

mumu245 wrote:

dogeiscut wrote:

dhuls wrote:

TurtleLegos wrote:

No support, you can do this with costumes.
which is overly complex.
And you can change the size of a sprite with costumes, your point?
Yes.

The objection that this effect can be simulated by using a paint editor seems to be the main objection that is brought up over and over so I think it’s really more of a suggestion for the OP to further address it at the beginning of this topic.

I feel that having these new effect features would engage the creativity in young Scratchers and let them be innovative in making projects in a way that is in agreement with the mission of Scratch. I’ve made programs both ways. Using the historical stretch blocks was fun and engaging. Using the paint editor was a chore. I believe that it is in the interest of the Scratch Team to make it fun for people to use Scratch.

I’ve mentioned this before but if you are willing to go to a great deal of trouble you can see how I’ve used the historical Stretch blocks in this Scratch 1.4 project. https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/508511932/ It would have been a chore to have used the paint editor.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bump

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
Pandan_the_coder
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

There used to be a stretch effect (before I knew about Scratch)

Join my collab series! —> https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/726760/
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Pandan_the_coder wrote:

There used to be a stretch effect (before I knew about Scratch)
Yes there was. Is this something you’d like to see added back? Please help us by letting the Scratch Team know why.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

ocyboy4
Scratcher
7 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

suggest(this is how it should be v)
set [stretch x v] effect to (0)
set [stretch y v] effect to (0)
change [stretch x v] effect by (0)
change [stretch y v] effect by (0)

Last edited by ocyboy4 (Dec. 30, 2021 20:58:34)

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

ocyboy4 wrote:

1.Been suggested before.
2. I don’t really like that variation, considering it adds unnecessary versions of the same thing and would be unnecessary.

Last edited by VeryFamus (Dec. 30, 2021 21:03:54)

10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I have not posted my Stretch example in this topic and I think it might be useful as a working example.

It’s a good example (I think) of how beginning programmers might take a simple-to-use stretch feature and add it to their scripts. Tinkering to create new things is what the Scratch Team wants us to do.

The program will run under Scratch 3.0 but you will have to download it as well as Scratch 1.4 to see what it looks like with working (historical) stretch blocks.

The program is here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/621529919/

BananaMilkshake1029
Scratcher
19 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

+support!
i actually wanted to suggest this myself until i saw this, because making loads of costumes to stretch it takes way too long and can be choppy. but with stretch blocks it would be smoother and easier!

hello.

check out some of my games and stuff.

;
cat_tap
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

modesties wrote:

set [shrink v] effect to () //inverse of stretch

change [shrink v] effect by ()

([shrink v] effect ::looks)
That would be
change [stretch v] effect by (-1) // instead of + 1
I think there's another topic already suggesting this somewhere else, as I've suggested it before and was redirected, but I dont't know where it is. It seems a lot of people want this, but it's probably not ever going to happen. I support to, though it probably doesn't matter.

Last edited by cat_tap (Jan. 1, 2022 20:32:46)

Stuff made by me: (my best projects!)

I make…
Art | Games | Music
And much more!

5:18 PM 2922-02-06 Updated halloween PFP to regular PFP. (Well, if you count a bunch of rainbow lickies as regular xD)
04-18 3:55PM finally fixed image size lol

The Forums

Have you got a question that would be fit for the forums but you can't post on any because you only have a Scratch Account and the only forums on Scratch only allow you to post Scratch related things?
Well, then use that! It's completely organized in the comments as to allow the same moderation as with other Scratch comments.
But you can say way much more. If you want to open a vote, or any question or guide, you can do so in the forums!

(Sorry everything got shortened)

WHAT I DO WHEN I'M BORED…
Appel // Geometry Dash // PolyRhythm
cat_tap
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

ocyboy4 wrote:

1.Been suggested before.
2. I don’t really like that variation, considering it adds unnecessary versions of the same thing and would be unnecessary.
How are you supposed to make it stretch in a certain direction though? Maybe stretch by an angle input?

Stuff made by me: (my best projects!)

I make…
Art | Games | Music
And much more!

5:18 PM 2922-02-06 Updated halloween PFP to regular PFP. (Well, if you count a bunch of rainbow lickies as regular xD)
04-18 3:55PM finally fixed image size lol

The Forums

Have you got a question that would be fit for the forums but you can't post on any because you only have a Scratch Account and the only forums on Scratch only allow you to post Scratch related things?
Well, then use that! It's completely organized in the comments as to allow the same moderation as with other Scratch comments.
But you can say way much more. If you want to open a vote, or any question or guide, you can do so in the forums!

(Sorry everything got shortened)

WHAT I DO WHEN I'M BORED…
Appel // Geometry Dash // PolyRhythm
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

The historical stretch block only changed a costume along its x-axis. There have been different discussion themes where the user could adjust the x-axis and y-axis of the costume and also the x-axis and y-axis as seen on the screen. That would be fun to have but I believe that an 8-year-old would think “stretching” something would be fun to do but any talk of x-axis or y-axis would sound like schoolwork and something to be avoided. So, a simple stretch effect would be in-line with the developer’s goals and hopefully something that they would be more likely to implement.

They are not likely to give us an actual ‘Block’ for this because they don’t seem to want to add new blocks to the block palette but a new effect in the drop-down list of effects might, hopefully, seem okay with them.

Last edited by 10goto10 (Jan. 1, 2022 22:21:18)

Bird414
Scratcher
24 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

VeryFamus wrote:

WindowsMeRules2000 wrote:

It was removed in early versions of Scratch.

Then I want to re-add it.

You can re-add it in Scratch 1.4.
The block is in 3.0, but it doesn't do anything. If you get it in 1.4, it works.

Last edited by Bird414 (Jan. 2, 2022 15:32:25)

when <bird414 is cool::sensing boolean>::events hat
forever
make projects::operators stack
RIMOPA
Scratcher
6 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I think that is a good idea!

RI-MO-PÁ
Bye, thanks for reading!
Chau, ¡Gracias por leer!
OhOkSir12345
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

RIMOPA wrote:

I think that is a good idea!
please elaborate
1Oaktree2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

This idea is very helpful as so many times I have had to rely on using costumes to do this, and the result is often choppy. I really think this would be helpful. My only question is, how do you differentiate side stretching and wide stretching, are they different effects?

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

1Oaktree2 wrote:

This idea is very helpful as so many times I have had to rely on using costumes to do this, and the result is often choppy. I really think this would be helpful. My only question is, how do you differentiate side stretching and wide stretching, are they different effects?
They are the same effect, I was just trying to show what negative values and positive values do to change the stretch in separate explanations.

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Bump