Discuss Scratch

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

After so long
I’m honored to bump this
WITH a king of the page coming with it

Last edited by VeryFamus (Aug. 16, 2022 18:56:08)

some know me as the guy who only posted in suggestions
i have returned once more

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
happyfacesofdylan
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

dogeiscut wrote:

+Support!
However, couldn't this be simpler?
I suggest these blocks instead:
set stretch to () % :: looks

change stretch by () :: looks

In fact, those blocks were in a very, very, very old version but were removed due to “unknown reasons”. A while ago I found a project with these and didn't know what they were so I opened up a topic. The link to the project is here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1646338/editor/ Judging by the Thumbnail it worked.

Happyfacesofdylan (everything wii on YT)
Owner of Everything Wii on YouTube
1000+ Subscribers
Pro Wii Modder
Arzenist
Scratcher
98 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Support
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Arzenist wrote:

Support
Please state why

Lamp oil, rope, bombs. You want it? It’s yours my friend. As long as you have enough rupies.
Nuclear_Melon
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

++support
I think two would be good: one for width, one for height. To change the width of a sprite and it also changes the height would be heck, no offense.

================
Wait, I'm confused, help!
If this is you on the forums, then go here (click)
It'll tell you all you need to know about the forums, and how they work.

Burning wires I do not understand.
I know barbed wires, that like to cut hands,
strung between or tied around.
I have feet to touch the ground
Not all are lucky in the world,
some are born where the storm has swirled.
I want to help them, but the danger is vast.
Cruelty sails with an established mast.

A parasite speaks when the moon wanes;
“Why am I born to cause pain?”
The response is in vain, for it is the same;
“You never were, lad. You were born to make plain.”

By the stars it falls, and to the people it lands. Its purpose changed in that moment, didn't it?
It was proud and tall, and now it offers itself for life.
It likely fell by itself, or was helped by an axe.
The tree springs anew, and the people dance around the sapling, joyous.
VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Nuclear_Melon wrote:

++support
I think two would be good: one for width, one for height. To change the width of a sprite and it also changes the height would be heck, no offense.
It wasn’t planned to have two variants, I believe. It would only change width.
Mostly because A: stretch is already programmed into scratch, kind of, so all they would need to do is activate the block had they only activated width-stretching, and 2: It’s planned to be an effect in this suggestion, and I don’t think two of the same block with similar purposes would be better than just one. Besides, think about it like the saturation effect: it does the job, but it has a similar effect to darkness and wouldn’t change much to the base of the darkness effect to be considered something that should be added.

Last edited by VeryFamus (Aug. 24, 2022 02:06:49)

awesomebootlegs
Scratcher
8 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

ive had this exact same idea…. i gotta go with the original poster on this one. i think that would be the most efficent way

..+————————————————————+..
contact me on my wall, open 24/7!

:
post by:
Cool_Dude0101
Scratcher
42 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

set [ stretch up v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch down v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch right v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch left v] effect to (50)

“Hello there”-Obi-Wan Kenobi
ads are allowed in sigantures
when I receive [cookie v]
set [happy v] to [99.99%]
A Wise Man Once Said “Why can you drink a drink but not food a food”

VeryFamus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Cool_Dude0101 wrote:

set [ stretch up v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch down v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch right v] effect to (50)

set [ stretch left v] effect to (50)

VeryFamus wrote:

It wasn’t planned to have two variants, I believe. It would only change width.
Mostly because A: stretch is already programmed into scratch, kind of, so all they would need to do is activate the block had they only activated width-stretching, and 2: It’s planned to be an effect in this suggestion, and I don’t think two of the same block with similar purposes would be better than just one. Besides, think about it like the saturation effect: it does the job, but it has a similar effect to darkness and wouldn’t change much to the base of the darkness effect to be considered something that should be added.
^^^

SebDev_12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Instead of a stretch effect, wouldn't it be much more simple to split size into width and height like in game engines such as unity and godot?
size :: looks
would no longer exist and be converted into
(width:: looks
(height:: looks
. You wouldn't be able to get size as a number anymore (I think), but you would still be able to get the ratio of width and height
width = 100
height = 100
size as ratio = 1:1

Last edited by SebDev_12 (Aug. 31, 2022 21:56:07)

define idiot :: more blocks
this is my signature if you don't know, someone got confused
jcephas
Scratcher
70 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

SebDev_12 wrote:

Instead of a stretch effect, wouldn't it be much more simple to split size into width and height like in game engines such as unity and godot?
size :: looks
would no longer exist and be converted into
(width:: looks
(height:: looks
. You wouldn't be able to get size as a number anymore (I think), but you would still be able to get the ratio of width and height
width = 100
height = 100
size as ratio = 1:1
3.0 projects will break if that happens

this is my siggy
please click me
when green flag clicked
change size by ((50) * ((50) * ((50) * ((50) * ((50) * ((50) * (59749384729749)))))))
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring(((((((((((((((() :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring) :: ring
A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. bla bla bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa blaaaaaaaaaah bla. bbbbblllaaaahhhh. blaah bla blaaa blaa blaaa. blah.
cartooney
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I’ve been dreaming about a stretch block for so long and I really hope it happens.
It would make life SO much easier for the animation and meme community. It would also save space and reduce lag as artists would not have to manually stretch costumes frame by frame. This would help me tremendously.

Last edited by cartooney (Sept. 24, 2022 23:39:00)

rdococ
Scratcher
500+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I'm surprised this hasn't been added yet. It shouldn't be hard to implement, there's a clear and simple way for it to work and we already have a bunch of other graphical effects, so stretch would just be another one.

The ST have been pretty much doing nothing but ‘updating’ pages to the Scratch 3 style for years now. I believe they became corporate after Scratch became highly popular and now they can't get anything out the door without jumping heaps of internal bureaucratic hoops. That or there's been some staff changes behind the scenes.

Last edited by rdococ (Sept. 25, 2022 12:22:43)

awesomebootlegs
Scratcher
8 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

i think this would be helpful for making 3d games, like maybe a flight game? the ground could use a stretch effect,

:
post by:
awesomebootlegs
Scratcher
8 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

especialy since this is scracth 3.0, we should of had this way sooner

:
post by:
CoconutGator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

bump

Guess I should use the signature for explaining myself rather than Skyrim quotes. So hi. I'm Gator.

Metal albums I like:
* The Liberation - Disillusion
* Citadel - Ne Obliviscaris
* With All Their Might - Dyscarnate
* Ghost Reveries - Opeth
* Where Owls Know My Name - Rivers of Nihil

Recommend me more (please)
Shadow_Ember27
Scratcher
6 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

100% support. Stretching using costumes is time-consuming and increases project size a ton.

Hi, I'm Nick, I'm pretty dumb, but self-aware.

when green flag clicked
show list [Missing Assignments v]
play sound [Cry v] until done
go to [Comfort Place v]
set [Emotion v] to [Happy]
end
awesomebootlegs
Scratcher
8 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

yeah… its also pretty frusturationg too

:
post by:
ajskateboarder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Add a “stretch” effect

Would the stretch effect only stretch on the X-axis?
AmberInkblaze
Scratcher
35 posts

Add a “stretch” effect

I kinda support this. I already saw the block in a hacked blocks project, but it would be cool to see it work. Also Scratch animators like IncognitoOrange and more could use it when a character screams it stretches the character's height. It seems like a cool block to use, but you could also add height and width variables to make it work in multiple ways!

Width would be stretching in thickness and Height would be stretching in tallness

Negative numbers would make them thinner/shorter. Positive numbers would make them thicker/taller.

2 ways this could be looking:

set [Stretch v] effect to height: (0) width: (0)
change [Stretch v] effect by height: (0) width: (0)

change stretch by height: (0) width: (0)
set stretch to height: (0) % width: (0) %

Isuku Midoriya is good boi ;w;