Discuss Scratch

WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

So I'm in middle of writing a book about rebels trying to overthrow the gov, and at the end of the book, my protag dies. It's written in third-person limited, focusing on the protag.
I was orig going to write it focusing on the dictator, and have him realize what he was doing was wrong and destroying his country (how he grows).
But now i changed it, and I'm not sure how my protag should grow throughout the book. Any ideas?
I was going to do he was overly optimistic, but it didn't fit into the story…
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cutepuppies458 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

cutepuppies458 wrote:

These tips are really good, I write a lot and so do my friends. We are currently writing a series together about a group of kids and a gorilla. I hope other writers can find these as they are helpful and simple to understand for younger people.
AAAAAAAAAAAA I love your profile pic
Ahem
Do you write?
Yeah! Do you? (ZUKO!!!!) that was random
ZUUKKO (that was not random)
Yes! I do. I'm actually writing a fantasy novel rn. I actually just put what I have on the forum for critique
Edit: too many actuallys

Last edited by thegamer2005 (Dec. 20, 2020 20:48:23)

Ya know, sometimes, you just need to write those cringey fanfictions. Just do it. Write the overly fluffy, cheesy 2,000 word story where you fall in love with your fictional crush, move to North Carolina, and adopt seven children. Then bury it. Put it in a hole, cover it with dirt, and pray your family doesn't find it. UwU
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

So I'm in middle of writing a book about rebels trying to overthrow the gov, and at the end of the book, my protag dies. It's written in third-person limited, focusing on the protag.
I was orig going to write it focusing on the dictator, and have him realize what he was doing was wrong and destroying his country (how he grows).
But now i changed it, and I'm not sure how my protag should grow throughout the book. Any ideas?
Sounds like your trying to decide which character should have the internal conflict. Well, now you've got to ask yourself: ‘What is the message I’m trying to get across with this story?' My message in my novel is: Embrace love, even though there's a risk of getting hurt. What's your message? Then have your character, trough trials and tribulations, discover that message. That will make your book satisfying for readers. (If they agree with your message of course)

Last edited by thegamer2005 (Dec. 20, 2020 20:52:55)

Ya know, sometimes, you just need to write those cringey fanfictions. Just do it. Write the overly fluffy, cheesy 2,000 word story where you fall in love with your fictional crush, move to North Carolina, and adopt seven children. Then bury it. Put it in a hole, cover it with dirt, and pray your family doesn't find it. UwU
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

Sounds like your trying to decide which character should have the internal conflict. Well, now you've got to ask yourself: ‘What is the message I’m trying to get across with this story?' My message in my novel is: Embrace love, even though there's a risk of getting hurt. What's your message? Then have your character, trough trials and tribulations, discover that message. That will make your book satisfying for readers. (If they agree with your message of course)

I need that too (LOL), but in this situation I'm looking for a character flaw… any ideas?
hedgiemay
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

snip

I need that too (LOL), but in this situation I'm looking for a character flaw… any ideas?
Sometimes figuring out the theme helps find a flaw that helps push the story.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16.
Call me Hedgie.
I've been collecting some character creators.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

snip

So does the theme of “You can't fix everything” work in a novel about rebelling? And then the flaw would be overconfidence?
hedgiemay
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

snip
snip

So does the theme of “You can't fix everything” work in a novel about rebelling? And then the flaw would be overconfidence?
Yeah, that's a great one. Make sure you use it. That's important.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Call me Hedgie.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

snip
snip

Yeah, that's a great one. Make sure you use it. That's important.

Thank you so much!!
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

So i tried to make the protag (Franklin's) flaw come across in these two scenes. I don't think it really worked, though, I think it just sounds overdone?
Any advice?
“And now, an announcement from the president” the news broadcaster announced.
Denis Trent appeared on screen. He stood at a podium with various microphones, and the American flag hung behind him.
“These results are inaccurate! I’m the true winner, and I will not stop until I prove that I do not have to give up my position. That imbecile Thomas Moore will not be taking office in January. Whatever it takes, he will not!”
The newscaster came on again. “We will keep you updated-”
Franklin switched off the television. Denis’s obsession with the election results were beginning to worry him. Denis was not one to give up once he had made his mind up to do something. Franklin had to do something. He would go meet with Denis. He would convince him to let go of this dream and give over the power to the next president.
Franklin sat across from Denis at the mahogany desk in the oval office. (get descrip)
“Sir, I saw you on television last night”
“And what did you think?”
Franklin drew in a breath. Denis wouldn’t be happy with him. But it had to said. He would convince Denis to do the right thing.
“Well, I think” Franklin stopped to consider his words. “I think that you are doing the-”
Denis cut him off. “The right thing? Of course, I knew you would agree with me.”
Franklin was caught off guard. “Um, I was going to say that what you are doing is against everything the United States stands for.”
Denis drew in a sharp breath, but Franklin didn’t stop. He had to tell Denis, convince him.
“Sir, that is the way democracy works. There is an election every four years so the people can choose who they want to president. If you lost, there is nothing you can do about it.”
Denis’s face was red.
“Maybe that is how democracy is supposed to work.” he spat. “But maybe I will change the way this works. I cannot lose this position, and I have a plan. I need your help, but before I tell you what it is, you must swear to secrecy.”
“O.K. sir, what is it?”
“There will be severe repercussions if this leaks out. SEVERE.” He enunciated the word, and Franklin shrunk back. “Is that clear?”
“Yes sir”
Dennis squinted at his senior advisor who was shuffling in his seat, but the reply satisfied him.
“I have decided that I am not going to give in. I’m going to fire anyone who refuses to accept me as president, and create a new government with me as the leader. I will make the rules. I will decide who stays and who goes. It is all up to me!”
Franklin’s mouth hung open. “Sir? You do know that this is illegal, right?”
Denis’s face darkened. “Would you like to lose your job? I thought I could rely on you!”
Franklin shook his head. “I cannot and will not go along with this plan.”
“You will regret this decision,” Thomas said in a low voice. “And you are fired”
Franklin slowly got up and turned to leave. He reached to open the door, when his voice floated to the president. “Sir, power needs to be transferred, that’s the way the founding fathers set up this country. No one person should have too much power. You will also regret your decision. Consider your options carefully.” With that, he exited the room.
hedgiemay
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

So i tried to make the protag (Franklin's) flaw come across in these two scenes. I don't think it really worked, though, I think it just sounds overdone?
Any advice?
Denis Trent appeared on screen. He stood at a podium with various microphones, and the American flag hung behind him.
“These results are inaccurate! I’m the true winner, and I will not stop until I prove that I do not have to give up my position. That imbecile Thomas Moore will not be taking office in January. Whatever it takes, he will not!”
The newscaster came on again. “We will keep you updated-”
Franklin switched off the television. Denis’s obsession with the election results were beginning to worry him. Denis was not one to give up once he had made his mind up to do something. Franklin had to do something. He would go meet with Denis. He would convince him to let go of this dream and give over the power to the next president.
Franklin sat across from Denis at the mahogany desk in the oval office. (get descrip)
“Sir, I saw you on television last night”
“And what did you think?”
Franklin drew in a breath. Denis wouldn’t be happy with him. But it had to said. He would convince Denis to do the right thing.
“Well, I think” Franklin stopped to consider his words. “I think that you are doing the-”
Denis cut him off. “The right thing? Of course, I knew you would agree with me.”
Franklin was caught off guard. “Um, I was going to say that what you are doing is against everything the United States stands for.”
Denis drew in a sharp breath, but Franklin didn’t stop. He had to tell Denis, convince him.
“Sir, that is the way democracy works. There is an election every four years so the people can choose who they want to president. If you lost, there is nothing you can do about it.”
Denis’s face was red.
“Maybe that is how democracy is supposed to work.” he spat. “But maybe I will change the way this works. I cannot lose this position, and I have a plan. I need your help, but before I tell you what it is, you must swear to secrecy.”
“O.K. sir, what is it?”
“There will be severe repercussions if this leaks out. SEVERE.” He enunciated the word, and Franklin shrunk back. “Is that clear?”
“Yes sir”
Dennis squinted at his senior advisor who was shuffling in his seat, but the reply satisfied him.
“I have decided that I am not going to give in. I’m going to fire anyone who refuses to accept me as president, and create a new government with me as the leader. I will make the rules. I will decide who stays and who goes. It is all up to me!”
Franklin’s mouth hung open. “Sir? You do know that this is illegal, right?”
Denis’s face darkened. “Would you like to lose your job? I thought I could rely on you!”
Franklin shook his head. “I cannot and will not go along with this plan.”
“You will regret this decision,” Thomas said in a low voice. “And you are fired”
Franklin slowly got up and turned to leave. He reached to open the door, when his voice floated to the president. “Sir, power needs to be transferred, that’s the way the founding fathers set up this country. No one person should have too much power. You will also regret your decision. Consider your options carefully.” With that, he exited the room.
That looks kinda okay. I'm assuming Franklin is able to just suddenly get into the oval office because of his job. I being the grammar police I am is going to ignore all that. I got a really good feel for Denis' obsession. But I could only barely see Franklin's overconfidence as the reason he was fired or as the reason he went to Denis in the first place.

Call me Hedgie.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

Any advice?
That looks kinda okay. I'm assuming Franklin is able to just suddenly get into the oval office because of his job. I being the grammar police I am is going to ignore all that. I got a really good feel for Denis' obsession. But I could only barely see Franklin's overconfidence as the reason he was fired or as the reason he went to Denis in the first place.

Thanks for looking at it.
Any ideas on how to make his overconfidence show? Maybe it just doesn't fit the scene…

Last edited by WackyGirl1234 (Dec. 21, 2020 14:52:07)

thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

hedgiemay wrote:

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

Any advice?

Thanks for looking at it.
Any ideas on how to make his overconfidence show? Maybe it just doesn't fit the scene…
is he confident on the outside? like, does he walk with a small swagger, smile like hes got things under control? Alos if he was really confident, he'd just get right to the point and say: UR WRONG MR PRESIDENT

thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Ok, now I've got a small problem I need help with.
I'm attempting a Draco Malfoy/Loki character. The conflicted kinda guy. And I know you can mess those up pretty easily. So, any words of wisdom?

PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

I'm attempting a Draco Malfoy/Loki character. The conflicted kinda guy. And I know you can mess those up pretty easily. So, any words of wisdom?
Hmmm, that's tricky. Make sure it's a different enough character then the stereotype “conflicted character”. Also try to find the “root cause” of their conflict, and that should help determine their actions.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
hedgiemay
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

(I haven't done a character like this, so I'm just sharing my thoughts on the ones I've seen.) When we first see them, we are hit by how evil/bad they are. Wait a little to show how conflicted they are. We don't meet Draco's conflicted side until nearly the end of the series. (or the end. I don't remember. I didn't really like those books, but my favorite characters were Luna and Draco.) Loki develops it as the movies progress, but first he's the bad guy.
Basically what I'm saying is hit us with a one dimensional baddy, then move us to see another angle where we can fully appreciate the depth of the character.

Call me Hedgie.
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

what do you think about Leander Orson for a villans name? Or Stellan Lloydson? Ignatius Clive? Conan Clive? Quintus Rupert? Tell me which one is your fav.

thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

hedgiemay wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

(I haven't done a character like this, so I'm just sharing my thoughts on the ones I've seen.) When we first see them, we are hit by how evil/bad they are. Wait a little to show how conflicted they are. We don't meet Draco's conflicted side until nearly the end of the series. (or the end. I don't remember. I didn't really like those books, but my favorite characters were Luna and Draco.) Loki develops it as the movies progress, but first he's the bad guy.
Basically what I'm saying is hit us with a one dimensional baddy, then move us to see another angle where we can fully appreciate the depth of the character.
Ah, yes that's true. Thank you!

cutepuppies458
Scratcher
36 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

what do you think about Leander Orson for a villans name? Or Stellan Lloydson? Ignatius Clive? Conan Clive? Quintus Rupert? Tell me which one is your fav.
I like Quintus Rupert!

Hi! You can call me Jaiden, I'm just trying to find people who will listen to my rambling about fictional characters.

Fandoms I'm in:
Gravity Falls
Wings of Fire
The Owl House
Legend of Zelda
Ace Attorney
Amphibia

#TakeKlavierGavinOutOfYourBasementPleaseCapcom
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

I think either of the bold ones. Only issue i have is that they're long and kinda cumbersome to say. Maybe give them a nickname that's easier to say?
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

thegamer2005 wrote:

I think either of the bold ones. Only issue i have is that they're long and kinda cumbersome to say. Maybe give them a nickname that's easier to say?
Thanks!