Discuss Scratch

WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Is there a forum for finding Alpha/Beta readers?
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

How important do you think planning is? Specifically creating character profiles?
You need to have at least the basic jist of what you’re going for but you can totally start writing and then have them maybe evolve over time. At least that’s what I’m doing. And I may go back and change their responses to fit the character that they ended up as in the end. Of course this is just my suggestion and may not be a good idea at all

Ya know, sometimes, you just need to write those cringey fanfictions. Just do it. Write the overly fluffy, cheesy 2,000 word story where you fall in love with your fictional crush, move to North Carolina, and adopt seven children. Then bury it. Put it in a hole, cover it with dirt, and pray your family doesn't find it. UwU
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

I've finally finished the book that I started in February(Hallelujah!). Do you have any tips for editing? :3

Last edited by PrincessFlowerTV (Dec. 17, 2020 16:22:21)

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
MapleTails
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

I've finally finished the book that I started in February(Hallelujah!). Do you have any tips for editing? :3

First of all: Congratilations! That is is a huge acomplishment! (I have like 3 books I want to write that I started a year ago, I'm nowhere close finished with them)

Some editing tips that I would suggest is having others read it, maybe like 1-4 diffrent people and get their insight. Also, something else, thats at least helped me, which is without looking at the story, list everything you wanted to include in each chapter. Then go back, and compare it. Did Character A finally make that confession to Character B, or did the villian introuduce their plan ect.

Hey there. I'm an animator and artist
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

PrincessFlowerTV wrote:

Congrats!
Idk if this is encouraging, but your first draft will be horrible, so don't judge yourself while your editing.
As or practical advice, I'd say plug it into a word processor/editor, like word or Grammerly, for line edits (grammar stuff)
And then read through it and find plot holes, character flaws, etc and fix those.
And then find beta readers (check the post in my sig for an explanation) to read through it as a reg reader would and give you advice on what they found confusing, etc.
This gives you ideas of what you actually need to fix and things that will get caught by an average person reading your book.

Hope this helps!!
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

Umm, help. Every time I come up with a novel concept, (and I've come up with quite a few) I always lose interest in it and ditch it in a week! This most recent concept has held on a little longer because I shared it with a friend and she gave me some very encouraging words: ‘This concept has great potential and I can’t wait to see what you do with this.' Those words are literally the only reason why I'm still holding on to this story. Can you guys suggest some ways to help with this ditching the story after 7 days problem?

I can think of two things.
The first is plot it out, even if its very general. That way, you know its possible.
On the flip side, though, if a story idea isn't sticking with you, than maybe it's not fit to be written. Maybe jot down your ideas, and come back to them in a few weeks and see if they still stick with you. If they do, then they are worth writing. If not, then…..

The reedsy blog (google it) has AMAZING writing advice on everything under the sun. Maybe they'll have advice for this.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Huh, interesting point.
I was wondering about something specific, so if this is fine to ask:
In my book, there's magicians living hidden among non-magicians, like in Harry Potter, and I think the reason they're hidden is to eliminate any problems arising from this difference– like accusation for being ‘freaks,’ or jealousy, or overall just a feeling of tension between the two kinds of people because one has something the other doesn't. Does this create any plot holes like the ones you mentioned in the tip, and does it seem too much like Harry Potter?

Firstly, I don't think it's too similar to harry potter from what you've told me- magicians living amongst humans isn't a particularly original concept.
Secondly, The only main problem with your current reason for the wizards hiding is that it sounds like there has been some kind of general group consensus between all the wizards that they should hide. This is only really noticeable as their reasons for hiding are more opinion-based than based on a need for survival (e.g: vampires hiding because they don't want their prey to be frightened is opinion-based, vampires hiding because they don't want to be killed by angry humans is survival) which makes it seem less likely that a large group would all agree to and support it.
This isn't a major plot hole or anything, but if you want to make it a bit more plausible you could either have a small wizard population (so it would be more likely that everyone would agree on this), or have genuine consequences that could happen if they were discovered, and not just theoretical things.

Maybe it can be something like there used to be tension btw wizards and humans, so they decided to hide and wipe the minds of humans. Idk if that even makes sense, it was just my first thoughts
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Tip of the day
I'd like to expand on a point I briefly covered earlier while reviewing PrincessPandaLover's story extract-

Something else you briefly covered which is worthwhile to pt out- using/not using the word “said”.
Said is often overused or replaced with other unnecessary descriptions.
The words put after dialogue is distracting. If you're in middle of an intense or emotional conversation, putting said, yelled, etc after every line messes up the rhythm. Instead, do one of two things.
1. take out those words. In the following conversation, you can tell who said what even though the word “said” (or alternatives) was never used.
Jim turned to face Mary, angry
“You're always criticizing what I say and do!”
“What else should I do? Let you make a fool out of yourself ?!”
“It's none of your business what I do! Who's life is it, mine or yours?”
“Fine, if that's how you want to be.” Mary began to walk away. “I'll leave you to you're own devices.”

2. Sometimes you need identifying details. In that case, use description instead. This is kind of seen in the above scenario. “Jim turned to face Mary, angry” This tells us who was speaking and what kind of tone he was using without writing “Jim said angrily…”
“Mary began to walk away” Again, who said it, and that she was fed up with him, or perhaps upset. Leave that up to your reader, or show it in a further scene.

Hope this helped someone!!
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cheese-duck wrote:

Tip of the day
Just because a weapon/tool looks cool doesn't mean it's actually any good at it's purpose or that people would choose it over it's more mundane alternatives. Before you deck out your assassin with some intricately designed daggers, you might want to consider whether the carved shapes would snag on things. Or if they're actually any good at stealthily taking out enemies. Or if it'd just be more cost effective to use some rope near the target instead rather than specially ordering some expensive, funky knife.
<in the midst of stalking someone> <knife snags on clothes for the 1000th time> “Curse you, author, why'd you force me to buy these inconvenient things that aren't even a good deal”

That would actually make an interesting plot twist. About to kill someone but can't get your weapon out. Or maybe use it the opposite way- your hero can't slay the bad guy because he can't get his weapon out fast enough.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Challenge of the day
“two word horror story- no wifi”: make this common youtube comment section joke into an actual horror story.
I've decided to give this a try myself and do something loosely based on my own prompt. I know I usually give out all the feedback here, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me any advice or point out any problems with this. It's just a quick singular draft thing, so I'm not expecting it to be much.

Overall, great story and idea.
There were a few specific, minor things.
The biggest thing, i think, is that its all description. It needs dialogue, action, etc.
The second thing is I think you should stay with the girls pov the whole story. You start with her, and then the whole middle of the story is general, and then goes back to her at the end.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Heres the last scene from a novel I'm in middle of writing. I feel like the whole scene is too short. The protag, a rebel, is about to be killed, and its just like… idk?
Any ideas to make it more realistic?

Franklin stood on the platform, bound. He looked at the crowd, staring at him. His doubts surfaced again. Why had he been such a fool all those years ago? A pit formed in his stomach. No, he wouldn’t allow his doubts and fears to show. He would die honorably. He looked up at the noose that would end his life. Then back out at the crowd. He could say or do whatever he wanted. There was nothing more they could do to him. In a flash, he made a decision. He would publisize the cause. His last words would change the country. He had nothing left to fear.

He looked at the gaurds standing on either side of the platform. His words would be limited. As soon as he began to speak, they would be upon him.

He thought about what he oculd say, what would have the biggest impact with the least amount of words. After one last glance at the gaurds he opened his mouth. Then closed it. He couldn’t. It was too scary. What impact would his words have anyway.

No, he would do it. If he could only impact one person, so be it. It would be worth it.

“Citznes!” His words brought a gasp from the crowd, and the gaurds began rushing towards him. The words rushed out of his mouth. “Remeber what democracy was like? The power you had to influnce your country? It’s not too late! You still have that power. rise up and take back-” The gaurds were upon him. One slapped a hand over his mouth.

Franklin saw nervous, flabbegasted looks being exchanged in the audience.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he snarled. To the audience he said “see what is about to happen to this man? that is what will happen to you if you revolt!”

From his perch, franklin saw a few men whispering in the back. The guards were too distracted to notice.

Another grabbed the noose and lowered it over Franklin’s head. The last thing Franklin saw as the noose tightened was the men rushing forward, pushing through the crowd. And then, his world went black.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

I need an idea.
So a scene in my book is the protag joins a rebel group. How would the rebel group know that new members are really on their side? The only idea I could think of would be new members are not brought to the real hideout, let in on the real plans, etc (but their not told that)..
After few months of them being trustworthy, they are brought to the real group.
Or is the reality of rebel groups that there might be a double crosser involved?
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

You could definitely

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

Heres the last scene from a novel I'm in middle of writing. I feel like the whole scene is too short. The protag, a rebel, is about to be killed, and its just like… idk?
Any ideas to make it more realistic?

Franklin stood on the platform, bound. He looked at the crowd, staring at him. His doubts surfaced again. Why had he been such a fool all those years ago? A pit formed in his stomach. No, he wouldn’t allow his doubts and fears to show. He would die honorably. He looked up at the noose that would end his life. Then back out at the crowd. He could say or do whatever he wanted. There was nothing more they could do to him. In a flash, he made a decision. He would publisize the cause. His last words would change the country. He had nothing left to fear.

He looked at the gaurds standing on either side of the platform. His words would be limited. As soon as he began to speak, they would be upon him.

He thought about what he oculd say, what would have the biggest impact with the least amount of words. After one last glance at the gaurds he opened his mouth. Then closed it. He couldn’t. It was too scary. What impact would his words have anyway.

No, he would do it. If he could only impact one person, so be it. It would be worth it.

“Citznes!” His words brought a gasp from the crowd, and the gaurds began rushing towards him. The words rushed out of his mouth. “Remeber what democracy was like? The power you had to influnce your country? It’s not too late! You still have that power. rise up and take back-” The gaurds were upon him. One slapped a hand over his mouth.

Franklin saw nervous, flabbegasted looks being exchanged in the audience.

“What do you think you’re doing?” he snarled. To the audience he said “see what is about to happen to this man? that is what will happen to you if you revolt!”

From his perch, franklin saw a few men whispering in the back. The guards were too distracted to notice.

Another grabbed the noose and lowered it over Franklin’s head. The last thing Franklin saw as the noose tightened was the men rushing forward, pushing through the crowd. And then, his world went black.

You could definitely stretch out the first paragraph by talking about the faces in the crowd. Were they angry? Scared? Were they interested? Were they in angry mob? Were they sad? Also were they quiet or loud? Could Franklin hear his own thoughts well because of the silence of the crowd or was all the noise deafening? That would add a nice contrast when he started talking. The crowd could suddenly go quiet or start looking surprised instead of angry. Also you could detail a little bit more about the strength of the guards. Was it hard to break free where the guard strong where they rough where they gentle? Anyway that’s my thoughts

Ya know, sometimes, you just need to write those cringey fanfictions. Just do it. Write the overly fluffy, cheesy 2,000 word story where you fall in love with your fictional crush, move to North Carolina, and adopt seven children. Then bury it. Put it in a hole, cover it with dirt, and pray your family doesn't find it. UwU
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

WackyGirl1234 wrote:

I need an idea.
So a scene in my book is the protag joins a rebel group. How would the rebel group know that new members are really on their side? The only idea I could think of would be new members are not brought to the real hideout, let in on the real plans, etc (but their not told that)..
After few months of them being trustworthy, they are brought to the real group.
Or is the reality of rebel groups that there might be a double crosser involved?
The rebel group, before letting new members in, might have to have someone testify that the newcomers once fought against the bad guys. Or when newcomers come in, they might put them in a test. That’s my idea

WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

@thegamer2005, thanks for the advice!
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

So, interesting thing i noticed in a book i was reading today.
Theres this scene that an aunt is babysitting, and shes going into labor, and all the sudden the kids get into a whole fight about losing a shoe out the window, completely ignoring the aunt.

I see how the author was trying to put some humor into an otherwise serious scene, but i kinda feel like it fell flat. I think it was bc it was too over hyped that it just didnt work.

idk, that was just my opinion. Someone else reading the same thing would probably have a diff opinion…. But just something to notice in your writing- when trying to put in humor, make sure it still flows in the scene and doesnt completely mess up the tone.
WackyGirl1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Tip of the day
Paragraphs- one of the most important literary tools, but also one of the hardest to understand. I'll admit it, I didn't even know exactly when you're supposed to use them before I googled it for this tip, so don't feel bad about it.

You should always start a new paragraph when:
  • Dialogue occurs. You should always start a new line when a different person speaks as it makes it easier for the reader to tell who is speaking.
  • You change location or time. If we're moving from the kitchen to the dining room, skipping forward to the end of the evening or having a flashback while on the toilet, you need to separate it up with a new paragraph.
  • The topic changes. This is the big one, guys- there's a whole bunch of things that can be classed as a change of topic. Basically, whenever we switch focus from one thing to another thing and they aren't closely linked, you should probably break it up.

My english teacher always says that you should imagine it as a film. Every time the camera would switch it's focus, start a new paragraph. So if one person is speaking and then the other person reacts, new paragraph. But if someone talks and then the same person does something, no new paragraph.
cutepuppies458
Scratcher
36 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

These tips are really good, I write a lot and so do my friends. We are currently writing a series together about a group of kids and a gorilla. I hope other writers can find these as they are helpful and simple to understand for younger people.

Hi! You can call me Jaiden, I'm just trying to find people who will listen to my rambling about fictional characters.

Fandoms I'm in:
Gravity Falls
Wings of Fire
The Owl House
Legend of Zelda
Ace Attorney
Amphibia

#TakeKlavierGavinOutOfYourBasementPleaseCapcom
thegamer2005
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cutepuppies458 wrote:

These tips are really good, I write a lot and so do my friends. We are currently writing a series together about a group of kids and a gorilla. I hope other writers can find these as they are helpful and simple to understand for younger people.
AAAAAAAAAAAA I love your profile pic
Ahem
Do you write?

cutepuppies458
Scratcher
36 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

thegamer2005 wrote:

cutepuppies458 wrote:

AAAAAAAAAAAA I love your profile pic
Ahem
Do you write?
Yeah! Do you? (ZUKO!!!!) that was random

Hi! You can call me Jaiden, I'm just trying to find people who will listen to my rambling about fictional characters.

Fandoms I'm in:
Gravity Falls
Wings of Fire
The Owl House
Legend of Zelda
Ace Attorney
Amphibia

#TakeKlavierGavinOutOfYourBasementPleaseCapcom