Writing Advice and Tips

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

██████╗ ██╗ ██╗ ███╗ ███╗ ██████╗ ██╗
██╔══██╗ ██║ ██║ ████╗ ████║ ██╔══██╗ ██║
██████╔╝ ██║ ██║ ██╔████╔██║ ██████╔╝ ██║
██╔══██╗ ██║ ██║ ██║╚██╔╝██║ ██╔═══╝ ╚═╝
██████╔ ██████║ ██║ ╚═╝ ██║ ██║ ██╗
╚═════╝ ╚═════╝ ╚═╝ ╚═╝ ╚═╝ ╚═╝

Ditto. When is anyone going to give feedback for my story?

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

I've been busy leading a cabin for writing camp and I'm on vacation

Guess the other people also don't have time right now

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Don't blame you; it's a bit long. In case you haven't noticed it, I've been giving it a new chapter each day, only making it longer and longer.

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Don't blame you; it's a bit long. In case you haven't noticed it, I've been giving it a new chapter each day, only making it longer and longer.
Oh great xd

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Oh great xd

Oh, yeah, I'd better get to work on Chapter 4…

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Oh great xd

that totally wasn't sarcastic

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

that totally wasn't sarcastic

I've already created it visually in my mind. It will take some time to write, though. Stay tuned, I suppose!

scratch3602
Scratcher
49 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

A quiet breeze rushed over a 16 year-old boy, ruffling his golden hair. He continued skipping, smiling. “Hmm, hmm, hmmm . . .” he hummed as he skipped towards his house. When he got in, his mother had dinner splayed on the table. She turned to him, and grabbed his shoulder gently. “Logan, you're home! How was school?” Logan looked up at his mother and smiled, bouncing, showing her the report card, which read:

Report Card
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Math: A-
Science: B-
Gym: A-
Art: A+
History: C+

His mother grinned. “You did perfect!” she continued holding his shoulder, before standing up. “Alrighty, want some dinner?” Logan nodded, running to a chair, and sitting down. His mother cut him a piece of the large turkey, and handed it to him. He smiled. “Thanks Mum!” she sat down, and called, “Pete! Dinner's ready, come get some!” Logan's father walked in, holding a laptop and smiling, sitting next to his son and ruffling his hair more. “Daddy! Stop!” His dad stopped, and smiled, grabbing his own turkey. They all began eating, before Mom showed Dad Logan's report card. He grinned. “Good job, sport.” They continued chatting, smiling as they did so. When dinner was over, his parent's wished him good dreams and sent him to bed. He changed into his pajamas, and lay down in his bed. He looked up at the roof, seeing the small drawings he had hung up. He drifted into a deep sleep, and dreamt of being with the art.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Logan woke up. It was about 8:25, Saturday morning. He enjoyed Saturdays! That meant no school, no bullying for his ADHD or Tourettes, and just being HAPPY! He jumped from his bed and changed into his normal clothes, and ran downstairs, seeing his parents watching The Lone Ranger, which they seemed to enjoy. “Mom! Dad! It's Saturday! Think we can grab ice-cream today?” he leaned on the couch. His mother looked at him and stroked his hair. “Yes, after this. Is that okay, Pete?” His father nodded and grinned. Logan began hopping around happily. He sat down by the door and waited.

After another fifteen minutes, his parents walked over. “Alrighty, let's go!” his mother responded happily. Logan jolted up and opened the door, grinning widely as they walked out into the soft sunlight. As they walked down the street, people stared. Logan didn't care! He was living his best life, and they wanted to destroy that? Well, they were the ones missing out. When they got to the parlor, they walked in, and the man knew them.

It was Uncle Christopher, who wasn't really his uncle, but close enough. “Uncle Chris!” shouted Logan, standing in front of the bar where it was served. Uncle Chris smiled, and looked at them. “Alright, what'll it be this fine morning?” Logan looked at the flavours, and saw a flavour called “Mint Chocolate Swirl”. He liked the idea of that. “Can I try that?” he asked, to which his mother nodded and asked. Uncle Chris scooped it, and put it in a small bowl, and handed it to Logan. He grinned, and Uncle Chris asked his parents what flavours they'd like. “None.” they replied. He smiled at them, and asked for two dollars, which they handed to him.

They walked home, and Logan ate his delicious ice-cream. When they arrived, he had run out, which made him a bit sad, but whatever! He ran into the house and grabbed the remote. He wanted to watch Fraggle Rock, which his parents enjoyed (or seemed too). Mom and Dad sat down at the dinner table, and looked as he turned it on.

can you critique this?

Last edited by scratch3602 (July 27, 2020 00:12:06)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” - The Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, 1776.

I'm obsessed with Hamilton, Scratch, Minecraft, The Sims 4, and other stuff. Also, I've been developing a story for about a year now. I'm a Sun Pisces and Moon Capricorn. Um, since you're still reading, want a peach?
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

It has been completed. Chapter 5 will probably be available tomorrow.

MapleTails
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hey, could I have any tips to improve this?

I've actually got 8 chapters done XD

Chapter 1 PGs 29 and 30
“I told you, Mapletail! He'd be frightened of your fighting
stories!” She then scoffed, “Suprised you aren't a pile of fur
yet.” Mapletail nudged her, “Aw, Lacepaw. You aren't really
mad at me.” She grinned and Lacepaw narrowed her eyes.

“If you find a painful thorn in your nest one day, that'll be
your fault.” She walked away towards a brown she-cat
boredly looking at her paws. Treekit grinned at Ghostkit as he saw her approach,
and then looked back up at the rock.

“Today, three kits have reached 6 moons. Before we
continue, let's take a moment for both these kit's parents,
and silence for Gorseheart, the assumed kit's father, and a
murder victim.” Ghostkit whispered quietly, “Who is
Gorseheart?”

Treekit shrugged and both winced as the got a sharp cuff
immediately. “Quiet!” Mapletail hissed, visibly shaken.
She seemed to recognize the name with fear. Ghostkit tilted
her head in confusion and nearly asked, but the she-cat's
bared teeth quickly made her turn around.

Chapter 3: PG 18
She flicked an ear at a line of large rocks. “This is our
border with DawnClan. Since we used to be a part of their
Clan, they constantly try to retake the land.”

“That's pretty much everything. Look around if you like or
go back to camp.” She bunched her muscles and started to
run back.

Ghostpaw felt concerned but Treepaw exclaimed, “Wow,
wasn't that amazing!” She shuffled her paws. “Sure….” His
ear fell down in curiosity. “Did you not like her?”

Ghostpaw clicked her teeth once. “She seemed to have no
respect for other cats. She literally told us that we could
climb a cliff and if we die it's our fault!”

Ch 6 PG 8:
Ghostpaw opened her eyes to be in the same dark forest,
seeing Scarsplash lounging on a rock. “Well, you ready
for task number 1?” she purred.

Ghostpaw sighed, “Where have you been?” Scarsplash
laughed, “Oh, you missed me? Don't make me blush.”
The apprentice huffed, “Scarsplash, what's the favor?
Your rambling.”

“Am I?” She giggled, “First favor.” Scarsplash lept off the
tree and rested her tail on her shoulder, and Ghostpaw
gently slid out of her reach. Scarsplash ignored it and
sat at the base of a river.

Hey there. I'm an animator and artist
The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Chapter 1: Genesis of Greatness

Carnage, a tyrant, an excellent swordsman, feared among all people, has conquered lands and lands. Never has he lost a duel from age 15. His rule was very cruel, but few dared to stop him.

A rebellion was created, known as the Renewal. They exist with excellent swordfighters and strong warriors in hopes of defeating Carnage. However, no abilities can surpass Haro Green and Sam Locket, members of the Renewal.

Haro Green is a sixty-two year-old man with a checkered past. He has dreamt of reunion with his father and mother after they disappeared.

Sam Locket is a reckless fighter, but has intriguing strategy. He is a close friend to Haro, although Sam is merely twenty-three.

Once the Renewal formed a great strategy in battle, they sailed the seas to find Carnage. Their ship, the Iron Monarch, could zoom across the seas at an unimaginable speed. They sailed and sailed for many long days and nights, and Sam was bored out of his mind. “What's even the point of sailing when you can fly?” he asked impatiently.

Haro turned to him. “They expect us to fly,” he stated. “Carnage is the king of the skies. We cannot penetrate the firepower of his airship. Plus, the element of surprise is quite vital. They are somewhere in Tryx, Egypt. That's doable.”

Immediately, a bronze vessel headed their way. A fisherman named Kajectus was standing on the bow of the Iron Monarch. “Spoiled!” he exclaimed. “A ship made of valuable riches is a waste! Go back to stripping logs for vessels!”

Angered, the captain sailed toward and boarded the ship. He drew a blade and pointed it toward him, saying, “You bite your tongue!”

“I'm sorry,” Kajectus said. “You are a very kind man.” Kajectus panted heavily as the captain slowly moved the blade away from him. Kajectus ran away, traumatized.

“And just who are all of you?” the captain asked.

Sam said with courage, “We live to make sure Carnage does not.”

“Intriguing…” the captain said. “You can call me Webster. Care to chat in my hearty ship?”

Sam and Haro entered the ship. Haro noticed a woman in chains with gray hair, along with many others. This woman was important to him, however. Her name was Amanda Green, his mother. “Why is my mother in chains?!” Haro asked, angered.

“She's my slave,” Webster said. “Bought her at an auction years ago. A slave for as long as I live.”

Haro was infuriated. His mother should not be used as a tool. He kept his anger to himself, as he didn't want to cause any trouble. They walked to a table in the ship. As they sat down, Webster said, “I've been wanting to destroy Carnage for quite a while. I feel as though you may slow me down, though. I'd like to see you prove yourselves to me.”

Sam said, “We are masters of the blade. Proof enough?”

“I'll believe it when I see it,” Webster said. “There's something else, though. I have a legacy to uphold. I'm a great fighter as well. In my adventures, I found a clock. Linked to it, it will control my time alive. It continually runs, just like a normal clock. However, it runs slowly for the course of many years. If the hands reach 12:00, I die. I can get younger by turning the hands of the clock backward. I lost it on the ship. If you can find it, you'll be greatly rewarded.”

Sam said, “I'm on it!” He and Haro left the room. They searched continuously. Haro was more frustrated than a bull that got whipped. Seeing his mother in chains…

“Found it!” Sam exclaimed, picking up the clock from under a rug. “Now, we can just return it to Webster, and the reward will be great!”

“Hold on,” Haro said, drawing his blade. “My mother is a slave as long as Webster lives, right? So-”

“Don't forget that Webster has a fighting legacy,” Sam interrupted. “If we prove ourselves to him, he could help us win the war!”

Haro could not believe that Sam is more concerned about the war than the well-being of his family. “Sam, you fool! Are you going to let my mother stay a slave?!”

“What about the war?” Sam said. “We have more important matters on our hands.”

“Enough!” Haro yelled. “If you won't hand over the clock, I'll take it from you!”

Blades clashed. Sam and Haro were good friends, but their differing perspectives led them to fight. The clock fell from Sam's hand, but they didn't notice. Swords swung and clashed, forsaking the fallen clock.

“Well done,” a silhouette from a dark corner of the room congratulated. He walked into the light. He was Webster. “The Clock of Life and Death is in my possession…yet you seek my demise. Thus, your prize is…”

Webster struck Haro in the shoulder. Wounded, Haro fell on his knees. "And now for your demise,“ Webster said, raising his sword above his head.

Sam fought against his intellect. Surely, winning the war will bring peace…but what about peace with his friend? Was it worth losing the life of his friend? Sam grabbed Webster and threw him overboard. ”He may be a talented warrior,“ Sam said, ”but it's not worth losing you." Chuckling, Haro shook Sam's hand. They boarded the Iron Monarch, and ahead of them lies Tryx, Egypt, home to Carnage.

I'm only looking at/giving feedback on the first chapter because I have neither the time nor the patience to go through it all. I blame it on my short attention span. I understand this is the oldest chapter you have written and you may have improved since then, but regardless, I will still be giving feedback on this one since the beginning of a story is often the most important.

We've talked about information dumping at the start of a chapter before as well as not giving to little information that leaves the reader confused and disoriented. From the first few paragraphs, all I see are statements about the characters. There are two main problems with the start in my opinion. One, you're giving us the names of what? Five to seven characters? You need to think about the readers here. You may know all your characters, but this is the first time the reader is seeing their names. If you do something like what you did at the start, the readers will struggle not only with remembering the names, but they will also find it almost impossible to remember the information you gave them at the start that went with the names. How are they supposed to remember that ___ was an incredible swordsman and ____ lost his parents and dreams about them? You're not bad at using unique words to describe the characters, so that's really good and makes it more interesting to read, but you're expecting the reader to just read all this information and retain it. You need to gradually introduce it to them. Second, the other problem is the fact that this is showing, not telling. Now I know a lot of people use this, my professional editor told me this about my old writing, and I've given this advice to so many scratchers. It's one of the hardest things to grasp as a young writer. Yes, it's more direct and easier to just say
“Johnny was a great swordsman and hasn't lost since he was 15.”
But it's far more interesting for the reader to see something like
“Johnny wiped the sweat off his forehand with the back of his hand before lunging forward to take on his opponent, his movements already committed to muscle memory after years of practice. Gritting his teeth, he continued his advance, determined not to lose this duel. He hasn't lost one since he was 15, and he didn't intend to now.”
Now granted, the second one is a lot longer, but that is one of the reasons the reader will find it more intriguing. You put more time into writing, and therefore, reading it should be more enjoyable. In addition, it's a mixture of showing and telling. Johnny isn't just a flat character here. He's actively doing something - sword fighting at that - and the reader will be much more interested in seeing that than just being told it. No matter how many great adjectives you use to describe your character, showing will always trump telling.
Also, let's talk about the paragraphs and how they are split up. I understand you want to separate thoughts which is completely fine, that's how you're supposed to use an enter, but it's to the point where the reader is looking at it and thinking, okay information about this, then information about that. You want your paragraphs to flow into the next and not be completely unattached. Two sentences do not make a paragraph (unless it is dialogue), and this will be fixed if you show rather than tell because inherently, showing takes more sentences and words than telling does.

Moving on from the start, there are a few improvements you could make to your dialogue. Currently, everything seems fast-paced and without too much context. When starting a story, you not only want to provide details on the settings the characters are in, but you also want to make the starting dialogue easy to understand while still being interesting. One of the main problems is we have no idea who these characters are and how they usually act. Throwing us into a tense situation is fine, but make sure it's clear what is happening. We need context. Sometimes writers fall into to the habit of face-paced dialogue. I found myself doing this when I started the second book of my series, but I realized that I can't just expect the readers to understand what the characters are saying. Leaving things vague may seem like a good idea, but it can make the readers lose interest in the story and feel a disconnect from the characters. You want to find a balance between the amount of dialogue and the number of descriptions of the surroundings and actions of the character.

Finally, one thing that kills interesting dialogue is the word said. I've seen so many things that say “said is dead”. People are sick and tired of seeing:
Johnny said “___”
Bobby said “____”
Johnny said “___”
Lisa said “___”
How did your characters say it? You don't even need to say that the person is speaking. You can do something as simple as this:
Johnny rolled his eyes. “Have you met anyone this ignorant?”
We know who is saying this because it's all on the same line.
Here's a great resource for other ways to say said such as exclaimed, asked, answered, responded, etc. https://www.teachthought.com/literacy/600-other-ways-to-say-common-things-improving-student-vocabulary/

My feedback may seem more critical, but that's not because your story isn't good. It's because one, you seem to be very self-assured in your writing (which is good. Always be confident in you) so I figured you could handle more negative feedback without feeling like your writing was trash because that's not true for anyone on this forum, and two, a lot of the things I pointed out are things I have experience with so I'm able to provide more in-depth feedback.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm completely open to sharing my writing if any of you would like to see it. I'm definitely not the best person out there to be giving advice. I'm barely older than most of you if that, but I hope some of this helps.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

scratch3602 wrote:

A quiet breeze rushed over a 16 year-old boy, ruffling his golden hair. He continued skipping, smiling. “Hmm, hmm, hmmm . . .” he hummed as he skipped towards his house. When he got in, his mother had dinner splayed on the table. She turned to him, and grabbed his shoulder gently. “Logan, you're home! How was school?” Logan looked up at his mother and smiled, bouncing, showing her the report card, which read:

Report Card
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Math: A-
Science: B-
Gym: A-
Art: A+
History: C+

His mother grinned. “You did perfect!” she continued holding his shoulder, before standing up. “Alrighty, want some dinner?” Logan nodded, running to a chair, and sitting down. His mother cut him a piece of the large turkey, and handed it to him. He smiled. “Thanks Mum!” she sat down, and called, “Pete! Dinner's ready, come get some!” Logan's father walked in, holding a laptop and smiling, sitting next to his son and ruffling his hair more. “Daddy! Stop!” His dad stopped, and smiled, grabbing his own turkey. They all began eating, before Mom showed Dad Logan's report card. He grinned. “Good job, sport.” They continued chatting, smiling as they did so. When dinner was over, his parent's wished him good dreams and sent him to bed. He changed into his pajamas, and lay down in his bed. He looked up at the roof, seeing the small drawings he had hung up. He drifted into a deep sleep, and dreamt of being with the art.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Logan woke up. It was about 8:25, Saturday morning. He enjoyed Saturdays! That meant no school, no bullying for his ADHD or Tourettes, and just being HAPPY! He jumped from his bed and changed into his normal clothes, and ran downstairs, seeing his parents watching The Lone Ranger, which they seemed to enjoy. “Mom! Dad! It's Saturday! Think we can grab ice-cream today?” he leaned on the couch. His mother looked at him and stroked his hair. “Yes, after this. Is that okay, Pete?” His father nodded and grinned. Logan began hopping around happily. He sat down by the door and waited.

After another fifteen minutes, his parents walked over. “Alrighty, let's go!” his mother responded happily. Logan jolted up and opened the door, grinning widely as they walked out into the soft sunlight. As they walked down the street, people stared. Logan didn't care! He was living his best life, and they wanted to destroy that? Well, they were the ones missing out. When they got to the parlor, they walked in, and the man knew them.

It was Uncle Christopher, who wasn't really his uncle, but close enough. “Uncle Chris!” shouted Logan, standing in front of the bar where it was served. Uncle Chris smiled, and looked at them. “Alright, what'll it be this fine morning?” Logan looked at the flavours, and saw a flavour called “Mint Chocolate Swirl”. He liked the idea of that. “Can I try that?” he asked, to which his mother nodded and asked. Uncle Chris scooped it, and put it in a small bowl, and handed it to Logan. He grinned, and Uncle Chris asked his parents what flavours they'd like. “None.” they replied. He smiled at them, and asked for two dollars, which they handed to him.

They walked home, and Logan ate his delicious ice-cream. When they arrived, he had run out, which made him a bit sad, but whatever! He ran into the house and grabbed the remote. He wanted to watch Fraggle Rock, which his parents enjoyed (or seemed too). Mom and Dad sat down at the dinner table, and looked as he turned it on.

can you critique this?

Okay, first, I don't know why I'm always saying this, but I'm no expert. (I think I say that so you don't take my advice too personally.) This is just one person's opinion. Oh great, now it sounds like this advice is going to be negative. It's not! I swear lol. I just feel like I need like one of those disclaimers. In no way are you getting professional advice. Okay, now with that over, on to the real feedback.

First thing, I checked on your profile, and you don't say your age (which I totally get. I don't disclose my age either), but assuming you are around the age of the average scratcher. You are most likely 10-13. You could definitely be older especially since you joined scratch 3.5 years ago. Let's just assume you joined at 11, that would make you 14 now, I know age doesn't seem relevant, just hang with me for a second. People always say write “what you know,” and if I aged you right, you're not 16. Now, I personally don't know many 16-year-olds that would call their parents Daddy or Mommy. (Mummy). Maybe you're 16, and you do, and that's completely fine, but that's just something to think about. So I might consider lowering your protagonist's age to fit yours or younger.

Again with the “write what you know,” I don't know if you have ADHD or Tourettes or know someone who does, but if you are going to write about it and you don't have experience with it, the best thing I can recommend if you want to keep it is read, read, read about the topic. Remember, people who do have these conditions might be your readers, and that's a problem if you misrepresent it. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of resources if there is ever a topic I'm unfamiliar about which is why I never hesitate to reach out. If you don't have people around you who are experienced or available, the internet is always open. Just make sure you are using reputable sources .

I think I briefly mentioned this in a post, but all dialogue should be separated by an enter. So your second to last paragraph should look like this:
It was Uncle Christopher, who wasn't really his uncle, but close enough.
“Uncle Chris!” shouted Logan, standing in front of the bar where it was served.
Uncle Chris smiled, and looked at them. “Alright, what'll it be this fine morning?”
Logan looked at the flavours, and saw a flavour called “Mint Chocolate Swirl”. He liked the idea of that.
“Can I try that?” he asked, to which his mother nodded and asked.
Uncle Chris scooped it, and put it in a small bowl, and handed it to Logan. He grinned, and Uncle Chris asked his parents what flavours they'd like.
“None.” they replied.
He smiled at them, and asked for two dollars, which they handed to him.

Also, every paragraph should be indented (something I didn't touch on in my earlier post, but it applies to the story I critiqued above.) Scratch forums doesn't have indents, so you may have already had them, but scratch removed them when you copied the story here

I'm better at giving overarching advice, so none of this really looks at one point of the story versus the other, but make sure you aren't over telling Logan's thoughts. Especially since you're writing in the third person, expressing a character's emotions when not in dialogue or tagged on to the end of dialogue can be hard. I might consider writing this story in first person if you really want to tell it from Logan's point of view.

It's a good start. I typically don't read real-fi so it doesn't quite capture my interest, but I'm sure there are readers out there who would definitely read it. Just keep writing is the best advice anyone can give you. It all comes down to practice. If you don't believe me, you can just read the first two chapters of “Outliers” and you'll see how little talent plays a role in success. Anyone can be a great writer if you put in the time and effort. If you are willing to put in the hours, the rest will come. Remember that it takes 10,000 hours to truly master something which takes about ten years. We're young, but there is no better time to start piling up those hours.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

Viiceroy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

I didn't read the entire thing, but as for quick fixes I noticed there's a lot of info dump, and your tense skips around a lot

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

[I didn't read the entire thing, but as for quick fixes I noticed there's a lot of info dump, and your tense skips around a lot

Yes, @The-Book-Worm has already stated this. I'm working on editing it at the moment; be patient.

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

[I didn't read the entire thing, but as for quick fixes I noticed there's a lot of info dump, and your tense skips around a lot

Yes, @The-Book-Worm has already stated this. I'm working on editing it at the moment; be patient.
I would love to see what you thought of my critiques and what you agreed with

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

Viiceroy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

be patient?? LOL

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

I'm only looking at/giving feedback on the first chapter because I have neither the time nor the patience to go through it all. I blame it on my short attention span. I understand this is the oldest chapter you have written and you may have improved since then, but regardless, I will still be giving feedback on this one since the beginning of a story is often the most important.

Such a shame actually; Chapter 2 is where I thought it began to get interesting, as Carnage brawled against his own guilt…. I'll finish up Chapter 1 for now, since that's the one you're reading. I'll get to the others later on.

We've talked about information dumping at the start of a chapter before as well as not giving to little information that leaves the reader confused and disoriented. From the first few paragraphs, all I see are statements about the characters. There are two main problems with the start in my opinion. One, you're giving us the names of what? Five to seven characters? You need to think about the readers here. You may know all your characters, but this is the first time the reader is seeing their names. If you do something like what you did at the start, the readers will struggle not only with remembering the names, but they will also find it almost impossible to remember the information you gave them at the start that went with the names. How are they supposed to remember that ___ was an incredible swordsman and ____ lost his parents and dreams about them? You're not bad at using unique words to describe the characters, so that's really good and makes it more interesting to read, but you're expecting the reader to just read all this information and retain it. You need to gradually introduce it to them. Second, the other problem is the fact that this is showing, not telling. Now I know a lot of people use this, my professional editor told me this about my old writing, and I've given this advice to so many scratchers. It's one of the hardest things to grasp as a young writer. Yes, it's more direct and easier to just say
“Johnny was a great swordsman and hasn't lost since he was 15.”
But it's far more interesting for the reader to see something like
“Johnny wiped the sweat off his forehand with the back of his hand before lunging forward to take on his opponent, his movements already committed to muscle memory after years of practice. Gritting his teeth, he continued his advance, determined not to lose this duel. He hasn't lost one since he was 15, and he didn't intend to now.”
Now granted, the second one is a lot longer, but that is one of the reasons the reader will find it more intriguing. You put more time into writing, and therefore, reading it should be more enjoyable. In addition, it's a mixture of showing and telling. Johnny isn't just a flat character here. He's actively doing something - sword fighting at that - and the reader will be much more interested in seeing that than just being told it. No matter how many great adjectives you use to describe your character, showing will always trump telling.
Also, let's talk about the paragraphs and how they are split up. I understand you want to separate thoughts which is completely fine, that's how you're supposed to use an enter, but it's to the point where the reader is looking at it and thinking, okay information about this, then information about that. You want your paragraphs to flow into the next and not be completely unattached. Two sentences do not make a paragraph (unless it is dialogue), and this will be fixed if you show rather than tell because inherently, showing takes more sentences and words than telling does.

I thought about these points, and they have a good argument here. As I've already stated, I'm working on updating my original post; please be patient if you wish to see the results.

Moving on from the start, there are a few improvements you could make to your dialogue. Currently, everything seems fast-paced and without too much context. When starting a story, you not only want to provide details on the settings the characters are in, but you also want to make the starting dialogue easy to understand while still being interesting. One of the main problems is we have no idea who these characters are and how they usually act. Throwing us into a tense situation is fine, but make sure it's clear what is happening. We need context. Sometimes writers fall into to the habit of face-paced dialogue. I found myself doing this when I started the second book of my series, but I realized that I can't just expect the readers to understand what the characters are saying. Leaving things vague may seem like a good idea, but it can make the readers lose interest in the story and feel a disconnect from the characters. You want to find a balance between the amount of dialogue and the number of descriptions of the surroundings and actions of the character.

I never realized I was doing it. Hopefully, my final result will be more intriguing…

Finally, one thing that kills interesting dialogue is the word said. I've seen so many things that say “said is dead”. People are sick and tired of seeing:
Johnny said “___”
Bobby said “____”
Johnny said “___”
Lisa said “___”
How did your characters say it? You don't even need to say that the person is speaking. You can do something as simple as this:
Johnny rolled his eyes. “Have you met anyone this ignorant?”
We know who is saying this because it's all on the same line.
Here's a great resource for other ways to say said such as exclaimed, asked, answered, responded, etc. https://www.teachthought.com/literacy/600-other-ways-to-say-common-things-improving-student-vocabulary/

Interesting…I'll add it soon enough.

My feedback may seem more critical, but that's not because your story isn't good. It's because one, you seem to be very self-assured in your writing (which is good. Always be confident in you) so I figured you could handle more negative feedback without feeling like your writing was trash because that's not true for anyone on this forum, and two, a lot of the things I pointed out are things I have experience with so I'm able to provide more in-depth feedback.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm completely open to sharing my writing if any of you would like to see it. I'm definitely not the best person out there to be giving advice. I'm barely older than most of you if that, but I hope some of this helps.

Understood! It did seem critical, but I am willing to put up with it. Writing is a true work of art…something I try to improve daily. Then, almost everyone I know hates writing, so when those people saw my writings and liked them, I supposed I made a reputation. Then, my ego has sometimes seemed to claim me…

Thanks for your feedback! It helped! I will apply it to the next updated version of my writing, but it will take a bit of time.

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (July 27, 2020 23:29:32)

TheBlackFox012
Scratcher
85 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

You run, paw steps follow.
You stop, they end.
You look down, you see your black paws.
You look behind you, you see your red tail.
You look up, you see a sparrow circling overhead.
You leap, the sparrow banks away crying warning calls to all who can hear.

A fox! A fox!

You look around, the snow kissed forest becomes silent.
You listen, a wolf's lone cry echoes around you.
You trot, a rabbit scampers away.
You slow, your crunching pawsteps sound out for the forest to hear.
You lift your snout, a brisk wind chills you.
You take in a breath, the scent of fresh snow fills it.
You look out into the distance, the horizon is filled with clouds.
You see an eagle glide by, it sends its warning to the creatures below.

Snow! Snow!

You blink, some snow drifts down from the trees.
You halt, the wind blows by.
You sniff, the wind holds no scent of prey.
You turn, a deer is bounding across the snow seeking better shelter for the storm.
You run, the deer crests a small hill.
You glance, a lemming pops its head out of the snow.

Fox! Fox!

You hope, lemmings start scampering around under the snow.
You stop, a lemming runs at you..
You leap, it stops.
You dive, it squeaks.
You eat, the rumble of hunger is satisfied.
You spin, the swirling snow storm approaches.
You yelp, some snow collapses nearby.
You look, an uncovered rabbit’s burrow lays there.
You sprint, the burrow is too small.
You dig, the tunnel is widening.
You glance up, the snow falls around you.
You shiver, the burrow becomes wider.
You curl up, the freezing wind nips at you.
You shudder, your carved out portion isn’t deep enough.
You quiver, snow starts covering you.
Your eyes close, the snow is no longer cold…

You run, the river splashes.
You walk, the splashes stop.
You look down, you see your black paws.
You look behind you, you see your red tail.
You look up, you see a robin circling overhead.
You leap, the robin banks away crying warning calls to all who can hear.

A fox! A fox!

Could I have some feedback? This is an entry for SWC competition.

“A true alchemist doesn't change the world into gold, they change the world into words.” - William H. Gass
The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

This needs to be said. I don't know how many other people agree with me, but I know there are a few.

As I've already stated, I'm working on updating my original post; please be patient if you wish to see the results.

I don't think you realize, most of the people on here are reading your posts purely to give you feedback. We don't wish to see anything. I'm helping you because you asked for advice, and that is it.

Understood! It did seem critical, but I am willing to put up with it.

EXCUSE ME?!?! Excuse me, did you just say you are WILLING to put up with me trying to help you? Look, I did NOT have to spend time writing that 1,000+ words of feedback. All of us did not have to spend time trying to help you. We are all writers on here, supporting each other, but in no way are we obligated to help you. Please know that this will be the final time I will be offering my advice and experience to you if that is your attitude.

Then, my ego has sometimes seemed to claim me…

And finally, yes, yes it has. I don't know why you feel like you are superior to all of us in your writing, but as you haven't even read the writing of most of the people on here, you can't say that is the case. There are many talented authors here that are not boasting about their skills. Please do not continue to do this. It hurts the confidence of many young writers. It comes across as rude and arrogant making people less likely to help you.

Thank you for reading this through and listening. I do not care if you report me for purely expressing my opinion on how you have been conducting yourself on this forum

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)