Discuss Scratch

TheGlassPenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch Wiki Community Portal - in the forums!

Musicanna wrote:

Can you add parental controls to scratch? Some people were m ean to me on a old account so maybe parents can help stop their child?
Please make your own thread in Suggestions.
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Musicanna wrote:

Can you add parental controls to scratch? Some people were m ean to me on a old account so maybe parents can help stop their child?
The behavior you're describing is not allowed on Scratch under any circumstance. Please report any comments, projects, or forum posts that do this so the Scratch Team can take care of it.

Add a SPOOKY SKELETON to your project!

The Scratch 3 Project Save Troubleshooter - find out why your project won't save

ST, Please Add A Warning When A Size Limit Is Exceeded

My Dumb Creations - THE BEST ANIMATION | The Windows 98 Experience (made on Windows 98) | nobody cares about Me… | the2000 Reveals His New Profile Picture | Not Dumb Creations - Ten Years
Ctrl+Shift+Down for more…
Do evil kumquats keep eating your signature? Assert your dominance and eat the evil kumquats. Did you know that kumquats are only about the size of an olive?
KangaCoder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wiki Wednesday is back!

don't feed the trolls. feed yourself pizza cupcakez .[1] [2] [3] [4]

KangaCoder • [he/him] • kæŋɡəˈ koʊdər

Random Fun Facts: Male, Christian, US resident, EST time zone, Ravenclaw, likes Math and Science, learning German, knows HTML, Python and Java, loves chocolate, favorite color, possibly a kangaroo
On the Main Site: Experienced Wikian, Camp Counselor, SWC Reviewer, SDS Helper, Forum Helper
On the Forums: 2.65K+ forum posts
Project Ideas Directory 6.0 - need a project idea? Check it out!
Check out some weird and cool Scratch pages!
dogsmakemehappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

wangat wrote:

Wiki Wednesday is back!
on a monday

Use SHS (Shiny Hunting Simulator)
a realistic shiny pokemon hunting simulator. to use, go here.
I am Dogsmakemehappy (Github) A
Dog Lover - Minecraft player - Forum Helper - Wiki Editor
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Warning, long post.

I’ve recently had a little experience with the difference between Spam and Spamming and since your Wiki was of no help, I’ve decided to come here.

Your Wiki starts off with “Spam is something that is posted irreverently and unneeded in the situation it was posted.” (Love that word “irreverently” since it and Spam make me think of Monty Python.)

Your paragraph closes with “Repeated spamming will lead to alerts.”

This isn’t actually wrong but it is a bad use of the word “spamming”.

Hear now what the Scratch Team hath reverently spaketh on the matter of Spamming (from Terms of Use) “Repeatedly posting the same material, or "spamming”.

So, your last sentence, on the Scratch Wiki, in the terms used by the Scratch Team, reads “Repeated Repeatedly posting the same material will lead to alerts”.

I also looked up ‘Respectful comments” because since it’s used the community guidelines seems like something that would be helpful to expand upon in the Wiki. Not a thing. Not even “Respectful comments are those reverently made and are needful” or even “Respectful comments, for the most part, are ones that are not spam as defined by this Wiki”.

If it were me (and the crowd cheers that it is not) I’d replace “Spam” in your wiki with “disrespectful comments” because I think that is a closer match to what we find in the community guidelines and a more helpful follow up to those guidelines.

Whenever I have to dig useful email out of the 20 spam emails I get each day I am thinking that Spam is more like “irritating, time-wasting, nuisance” as opposed to its origin of some bot sending these out by the millions. So, I’m okay with calling Spam irreverent, but that seems to be missing the mark.

Maybe it’s like fur coats. People now-a-days think of where coat came from , it’s origin, and feel unhappy but in the 1950’s people thought “oh, how soft and warm”.

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

10goto10 wrote:

I’ve recently had a little experience with the difference between Spam and Spamming and since your Wiki was of no help, I’ve decided to come here.

Your Wiki starts off with “Spam is something that is posted irreverently and unneeded in the situation it was posted.” (Love that word “irreverently” since it and Spam make me think of Monty Python.)

Your paragraph closes with “Repeated spamming will lead to alerts.”
The difference between spam and spamming is that spam is a noun (which I described above) and spamming is the act of posting spam. Do you think the article would be improved if we made that explicit?

10goto10 wrote:

If it were me (and the crowd cheers that it is not) I’d replace “Spam” in your wiki with “disrespectful comments” because I think that is a closer match to what we find in the community guidelines and a more helpful follow up to those guidelines.
Spam and disrespectful comments are not the same thing. Spam is posting stuff totally unrelated to the discussion (examples being blockspam on the forums which are just random scratchblocks unrelated to the topic at hand, posting long strings of random text, etc.) while disrespectful comments are comments are mean to one or more other people (examples include “I hate you!”, “Your project sucks!”, “You're stupid for making that mistake”, etc.) Spam does not have to be mean or malicious.

10goto10 wrote:

I also looked up ‘Respectful comments” because since it’s used the community guidelines seems like something that would be helpful to expand upon in the Wiki. Not a thing. Not even “Respectful comments are those reverently made and are needful” or even “Respectful comments, for the most part, are ones that are not spam as defined by this Wiki”.
Defining “respectful comment” would be difficult to do, as any comment that is not disrespectful is considered respectful (an argument could be made that there is a difference between “neutral” and “respectful” but that's probably beyond the scope of the Wiki). Also simply being respectful does not mean a comment is allowed, as there are other rules at play (for example, asking for emails in a respectful manner is still not allowed).

10goto10 wrote:

So, your last sentence, on the Scratch Wiki, in the terms used by the Scratch Team, reads “Repeated Repeatedly posting the same material will lead to alerts”.
Text-substituting a definition will often lead to phrases like this and isn't really a great gauge for how well a sentence is written. Including the word “repeatedly” helps with emphasis.

Professional web developer and lead engineer on the Scratch Wiki
Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

I guess I’d still expect you to follow the Scratch Team’s definition of Spamming (repeatedly posting the same material) which is different from yours (the act of posting spam).

I think that the problem they appear to want to solve is the situation where people sprinkle the same comment across multiple projects all over their web site.

I can’t find the post now (would it help if I could find it?) where spam is considered disrespectful by the Scratch Team because all comments must be relevant, supportive, and constructive. Anything else is reportable since it violates the community standards by being disrespectful.

If I say “Kindly checkout my Filterbot:Friend or Foe! Project because I think you might find it useful”. That is respectful by your definition but disrespectful (and reportable) by the Scratch Team’s need to tie it back to something in the community guidelines. That makes their message to me make sense when they say that I have violated the community guidelines.

Last edited by 10goto10 (June 2, 2021 14:49:49)

Do you have an Animate a Name project that you'd like to have added to a studio? Please leave a comment in this studio.

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

10goto10 wrote:

I guess I’d still expect you to follow the Scratch Team’s definition of Spamming (repeatedly posting the same material) which is different from yours (the act of posting spam).
The definition I have given is a superset of the definition you have provided (and in terms of spam/spamming that's about nouns vs. verbs, not the underlying definition of what spam(ming) is). While the Scratch Team has identified spam as repeatedly posting the same comment in a lot of places, I doubt they intended that definition to be airtight and exclusive of anything else.

10goto10 wrote:

I think that the problem they appear to want to solve is the situation where people sprinkle the same comment across multiple projects all over their web site.
Yes, but I think they also would like to avoid stuff like blockspam, even if it's considered to be a lower priority or if they didn't explicitly identify it in the same place they identified other kinds of spam.

10goto10 wrote:

I can’t find the post now (would it help if I could find it?) where spam is considered disrespectful by the Scratch Team because all comments must be relevant, supportive, and constructive. Anything else is reportable since it violates the community standards by being disrespectful.
As I said before, being respectful is only one requirement in the Community Guidelines. There are other ways to violate the Community Guidelines that are not disrespectful.

10goto10 wrote:

If I say “Kindly checkout my Filterbot:Friend or Foe! Project because I think you might find it useful”. That is respectful by your definition but disrespectful (and reportable) by the Scratch Team’s need to tie it back to something in the community guidelines. That makes their message to me make sense when they say that I have violated the community guidelines.
Yes, that is respectful by my definition, but that doesn't mean it's allowed. It is still spam, but not necessarily disrespectful. The exact wording of the Community Guidelines says “Please keep comments respectful and avoid spamming or posting chain mail,” which I read as implying spamming is a different thing as being disrespectful.

Maybe the Scratch Team isn't so badWhy the April Fools' Day forum didn't work last year
KangaCoder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Would today's feature be a good fit added to the Featured Project # Controversial Featured Projects? Many people in the community reported it as an exact copy, and was taken down.

A few people are asking on my profile

Last edited by KangaCoder (June 2, 2021 16:28:48)

Random Fun Facts: Male, Christian, US resident, EST time zone, Ravenclaw, likes Math and Science, learning German, knows HTML, Python and Java, loves chocolate, favorite color, possibly a kangaroo
On the Main Site: Experienced Wikian, Camp Counselor, SWC Reviewer, SDS Helper, Forum Helper
10goto10
Scratcher
500+ posts

jvvg wrote:

The definition I have given is a superset of the definition you have provided (and in terms of spam/spamming that's about nouns vs. verbs, not the underlying definition of what spam(ming) is). While the Scratch Team has identified spam as repeatedly posting the same comment in a lot of places, I doubt they intended that definition to be airtight and exclusive of anything else.
I had the expectation that the Scratch Team would say what they meant and that you would align yourself with their wording.

jvvg wrote:

10goto10 wrote:

Yes, but I think they also would like to avoid stuff like blockspam, even if it's considered to be a lower priority or if they didn't explicitly identify it in the same place they identified other kinds of spam.

10goto10 wrote:

As I said before, being respectful is only one requirement in the Community Guidelines. There are other ways to violate the Community Guidelines that are not disrespectful.

10goto10 wrote:

Yes, that is respectful by my definition, but that doesn't mean it's allowed. It is still spam, but not necessarily disrespectful. The exact wording of the Community Guidelines says “Please keep comments respectful and avoid spamming or posting chain mail,” which I read as implying spamming is a different thing as being disrespectful.

I think you are saying that the Scratch Team is free to use the term “spamming” in their Community Guidelines in a way that is more expansive than the literal definition that they give in their Terms of Use and that you can’t see how it would benefit anyone to explain that in your Wiki.

hiPeeps124816
Scratcher
500+ posts

Does anyone here know Scratch's exact birthday?

Generation 7: First time you see this? Copy and paste it on top of your signature in the forums and increase generation by 1.

thethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethethe
Specs -
Browser: Varies, usually Safari 15.3 or Opera GX 83 or Firefox 96
Computer: Late 2013 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Dual Core Intel Core i5
highlight and shift down arrow

;
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

wangat wrote:

Would today's feature be a good fit added to the Featured Project # Controversial Featured Projects? Many people in the community reported it as an exact copy, and was taken down.

I would say no, as it's an individual incident and not really a “topic”.

KangaCoder
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg wrote:

wangat wrote:

I would say no, as it's an individual incident and not really a “topic”.
Alrighty

mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Should Comment thread limit be added to List of Controversial Topics, as it got merged, meaning it will be in (see the GitHub comments, it's controversial)

Last edited by mybearworld (June 2, 2021 19:37:49)

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
BarelySmooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mybearworld wrote:

Should Comment thread limit be added to List of Controversial Topics, as it got merged, meaning it will be in (see the GitHub comments, it's controversial)
It has been merged but not “released” on the main website.

Last edited by BarelySmooth (June 2, 2021 19:25:36)

Banner credit: @Prime689

(This text below is my forum signature)

Scratch Team never wrote:

Good suggestion. Let’s add that.
no offense to ST btw – Credit to @Fun_Cupcake_i81 for the above portion of the signature

Also, Nobody supports the support convention

404. That's an error.

The requested signature was not found under this post.
That's all we want you to know.
mybearworld
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PUNNAMOODU wrote:

[View post]

mybearworld wrote:

It has been merged but not “released” on the main website.
I know, it's still controversial. Maybe only when it releases, I don't know.
Also, for the [citation needed] herehttps://scratch.mit.edu/search/projects?q=stop+fighting+for+fame

Signatures are the only place where assets links still work.
TheGlassPenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mybearworld wrote:

I think that would be a reasonable topic to add once it's released, given that there has been fairly widespread opposition.

cs1908416
Scratcher
22 posts

What is upload.scratch.mit.edu ? You can put users in the url but nothing else.
jvvg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs1908416 wrote:

What is upload.scratch.mit.edu ? You can put users in the url but nothing else.
We have a Wiki article about that