Discuss Scratch

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

I'm not sure why this hasn't been implemented yet, but this is such an unfriendly design choice and I'm surprised that nobody else has suggested this yet - or maybe they have and I missed it. But whatever, my suggestion is that whenever a Scratcher exceeds the asset/JSON size limit, they should get a warning so they're not confused.

Now that all the life I could have squeezed out of Tinypic has been squeezed out of it, the mockups can be found in this Scratch project: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/327003334

Last edited by Flowermanvista (Sept. 9, 2019 21:41:13)

WaterComesBack
Scratcher
100+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Support. This would be very useful for songs that load over a period of long time.



:D :: hat operators // This is my siggy bot 2.01. He protects my siggy from evil qumkats!
Charizard746
Scratcher
100+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Support, its very disappointing to realize your project is over 50kb and you don't realize it until much later when it doesnt save.

all my projects got flagged as being inappropro so now i have nothing to offer you except for a stupid fruity maze recreation
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

LuckyLucky7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

WaterComesBack wrote:

Support. This would be very useful for songs that load over a period of long time.

Charizard746 wrote:

Support, its very disappointing to realize your project is over 50kb and you don't realize it until much later when it doesnt save.
Support for the reasons mentioned in the quotes above.

I have about 2950 posts, 70 shared projects, 165 total created/followed topics, and 135 followers.
CatsUnited
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Support. This would definitely be helpful to people, since they'll no longer be confused about why their project won't save after importing a big piece of audio into their project. I'm not so sure about your JSON file limit exceeded dialog box though, since that's quite a lot of text, but I really like the file size limit exceeded concept.

CatsForum Helper™Shef Werld/Shef Kerbi News Network

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

CatsUnited wrote:

Support. This would definitely be helpful to people, since they'll no longer be confused about why their project won't save after importing a big piece of audio into their project. I'm not so sure about your JSON file limit exceeded dialog box though, since that's quite a lot of text, but I really like the file size limit exceeded concept.
I'm not sure how else I would condense such a complicated concept into an easy to understand text box for Scratchers that may not understand what the project.json file even is.

also bump
Nambaseking01
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Support.

My projects have never exceeded the 50MB limit, since I mostly help in the discussion forums, but this could be useful for people that program a lot.
the2000
Scratcher
500+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

I'm going to support without explaining why (aka saying the exact same thing the OP said) does that make any of you guys

support

I used to have a signature. Now I have no signature. I have a pignature.
Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

the2000 wrote:

I'm going to support without explaining why (aka saying the exact same thing the OP said) does that make any of you guys

support
You said that in a way that makes it look something that is good or at least normal. No, don't do that.

This is a signature, meaning this automatically appears under my posts. (This is for people who may be confused about this)
Freddie Mercury lover <3 <3 <3 - Wiki editor - Catholic - Forum Helper - Italian - 14 years old - Sagittarius - I use Windows 7 Ultimate and Google Chrome - Guitar, Stranger Things <3 <3 - I often forget things :P
epicRedHot
Scratcher
500+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Definite support, since even knowing about the file size limitations, it can still be difficult to figure out exactly what it is that's causing a project to refuse to save.

I occasionally do things.
ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Sounds distinctly annoying.

This should be optional. I would rather make the whole project in one go and then slowly cut down the project size than to be constantly pinged about how everything is above the limit.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

ResExsention wrote:

Sounds distinctly annoying.

This should be optional. I would rather make the whole project in one go and then slowly cut down the project size than to be constantly pinged about how everything is above the limit.
Maybe this warning only shows in the online editor?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
What's happening? This is my signature; it appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums.
To make your own, click “Change your signature” at the bottom of the discussion home page.

Yes
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

yeah, this should definitely be added in some form. much nicer than just "hey you imported a wav file and now your project refuses to save haha have fun"

I'ma still just chill with you
Maybe things could change if you change your view
If not, then, I guess it is cool
Just to keep to yourself and abide by the rules


- A Tribe Called Quest in Find A Way
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

ResExsention
New to Scratch
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Sheep_maker wrote:

ResExsention wrote:

Sounds distinctly annoying.

This should be optional. I would rather make the whole project in one go and then slowly cut down the project size than to be constantly pinged about how everything is above the limit.
Maybe this warning only shows in the online editor?

No. I use both the online and offline editors.

It should be optional either way.

Hi, I'm ResExsention, that New Scratcher who refuses to promote themself! I really do look forward to getting to know you!

If you see "[DATA EXPUNGED]", you'll know it was deleted by me. It's a lot easier.
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

TheOneGuy101
Scratcher
83 posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

m e g a b u m p, i g u e s s

— …. / …. . -.– / .. / -.-. .- -. / .–. .-. — –. .-. .- – / .. -. / -.-. .-.-. .-.-. –..– / .–. -.– - …. — -. –..– / .-.. ..- .- –..– / .— .- …- .- … -.-. .-. .. .–. - / .- -. -.. / – — .-. . .-.-.- / … — … / .. … / … .- ..- -.-. . / .. -. / .–. — .-.. .. … …. .-.-.- / - …. . / .-.. ..- … .. - .- -. .. .- / … .- -. -.- / .. -. / .—- ….. / – .. -. ..- - . … –..– / -… .-. .. - .- -. -. .. -.-. / .. -. / ..- -. -.. . .-. / .- -. / …. — ..- .-. –..– / .– …. .. .-.. . / - .. - .- -. .. -.-. / …– / …. — ..- .-. … .-.-.- / -. — .– / .. - … / - .. – . / - — / – — …- . / - — / ..- … .- -.-.–
Flowermanvista
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Warn users when they've exceeded an asset size/JSON file size limit

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile