Discuss Scratch

• Discussion Forums
  • » Requests
  • » ⭐️ᔕᕼOᑭ ᑭᗩᖇTᑎEᖇᔕᕼIᑭ ᗩᔕᔕOᑕIᗩTIOᑎ (ᔕᑭᗩ)⭐️[APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW]⭐️ωε’яε вαcк !! тнε вεsт ωαү тσ gяσω үσυя sнσρ ⭐️JOIN NOW⭐️27 member shops⭐️ [RSS Feed]
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

⭐️ᔕᕼOᑭ ᑭᗩᖇTᑎEᖇᔕᕼIᑭ ᗩᔕᔕOᑕIᗩTIOᑎ (ᔕᑭᗩ)⭐️[APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW]⭐️ωε’яε вαcк !! тнε вεsт ωαү тσ gяσω үσυя sнσρ ⭐️JOIN NOW⭐️27 member shops⭐️

hellounicorns2 wrote:

This election is open to anybody, not only member.
Anyone could nominate themselves in the last election and the laws do not forbid this.

Judges were allowed to stand for election last time but expected to stand down as Judge if elected.
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

⭐️ᔕᕼOᑭ ᑭᗩᖇTᑎEᖇᔕᕼIᑭ ᗩᔕᔕOᑕIᗩTIOᑎ (ᔕᑭᗩ)⭐️[APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW]⭐️ωε’яε вαcк !! тнε вεsт ωαү тσ gяσω үσυя sнσρ ⭐️JOIN NOW⭐️27 member shops⭐️

Here is my campaign speech then..

This association must be fair. Everybody should be able to make decisions, to vote. I think it's very easy to use words like “law” instead of “rule” to pretend you're accomplishing that vital responsibility. But of course, synonyms don't change the equality that members will experience. We have to actually formulate and codify clear rules that make sense and force egalitarianism, both within this thread during discussions; and in individual shops separate from this Association, but members thereof.

Let us, then, dismantle the main issues that this Association currently faces, and try to build remedies that can effectively tackle them in the long term.

First of all, there is a great deal of ‘unspoken’ legislation. Judges seem to be relying on members with higher precedence, who are closer to owning the thread and who have more influence–to make their decisions. This, of course, undermines the democratic principle that this shop was founded on. However, it's not their fault. The judges are forced to consistently ask for clarification (rather than settle minor ambiguities themselves), because these aren't minor ambiguities, they are major omissions in the legislation that need to be resolved.

I've written a proposal for a new Section 11. It tackles a narrow gap in the legislation, voting to be precise–but it doesn't resolve the underlying issue. The entire body of legislation must be re-written to more clearly reflect the thoughts of members of this association.

It should be noted that the style in which current legislation is written doesn't really work naturally. Usually, subsections are placed underneath titles; or, sometimes, subsections flow from the title as one big sentence. What usually isn't found in real-world legislation is subsections that modify their parent section's sentence. It creates a conflict of ambiguity that should be eradicated. As an example, let's take our current Section 1 legislation, and observe how it could be modified:

Original:

Section 1: Shop/Representative Powers
1.1: You can leave at any time, regardless of the situation
1.2: You can appoint a listed amount of representatives
1.3: You can vote in all elections
1.3.1: You can vote multiple times if you are a representative of multiple shops
1.3.2: You can only represent a single shop once. This means that if you don’t have enough members those spots will not be counted and will be left vacant.
1.4: You can list with any other federations or shop associations without our approval
1.5: You can apply for any vacant position
1.5.1: You MUST accept if you don’t receive a position and must not get angry
1.6: You can ask for a judicial review on any position
1.6.1: If you feel you have been fired unfairly you can ask for 2 judicial reviews, after which you will be banned from the shop

Modified:

Section 1: Shop/Representative Powers
1.1: A member of the Association can leave at any time, regardless of context, by so proclaiming in this thread.
1.2: A shop can appoint as many members as is so listed in this thread
1.3: A member can vote in all elections, but, in each election–
(a) That member may only vote on behalf of each shop a maximum of one times; and,
(b) That member can cast a maximum of one vote for each shop they are representing.
1.4: A member shall have no restrictions placed upon them in this Association with regards to enlisting in other shops and other federations and associations.
1.5: Any person may apply for any vacant position; however, that person must understand that–
(a) Such application is not a guarantee of acceptance; and,
(b) The member in question is forbidden from displaying anger in this thread if they are rejected
1.6: A member has the right to request judicial review in relation to any position
1.7: A member has the right to request judicial review twice in relation to their firing before being banned from the shop

This is just a modification of the legislation, of course; it doesn't substantially change its meaning (though makes it less ambiguous and refers to members in the third person). This legislation has flaws though. In my modified 1.7, what does “banned” mean?

Additionally, there's the overall question of “what should happen if someone breaks a rule?”. Judges should not be given unstoppable power, instead, they should be guided with a strict set of maximum punishments. These punishments should be proportionate and humane – and this should be explicitly stated as part of legislature. Judges need a lot more stated restrictions (for example, it should be stated that they shouldn't decide punishments before the trial); and they need a lot more structure (which judge is assigned first? to whom does one appeal?)

Of course, with all these complications, and, as someone who – if president – would have an obligation to ensure this Association would run smoothly, I feel that adding more laws (though important) will do more to pretend this Association is some kind of big bureaucratic agency of a government; and do less to preserve order. I propose a summary of the legislation. It will need to reflect the main parts of the legislation (as determined by the judges if the question arises), and it shall link to the expanded version. This will allow more people to actually read the laws – and properly follow them. If you're a judge, then it would be your job to properly read the full details, but to everyone else, while they have to follow the explicit version, they can–by choice–get away with reading just the summary.

The second issue is that the only people at the moment who may propose laws are the President. If Section 11 is passed, that issue will be resolved; but my Section 11 still gives the President gives extra powers. What should the President's job be? Maybe it's fine for them to remain the (but no longer sole) writer of the legislature?

A final issue that I'd like to raise is that of the structure of the sections themselves. Why not separate them into seperate blocks? Easily recognisable titles comprised of words would help people know what the legislation is about before they even read it; and there would be less subsections (as top-level subsections would become sections).
ncro2005
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

hellounicorns2 wrote:

This election is open to anybody, not only member.
Anyone could nominate themselves in the last election and the laws do not forbid this.

Judges were allowed to stand for election last time but expected to stand down as Judge if elected.
Remember though

poppybunny wrote:

ncro2005 wrote:

I think that you should be a SPA member in order to be president b/c people could get nominated, win, and have no idea what to do with it. (If you don't know, there is a non-shop member application.) I also think that people should be SPA members in order to vote b/c non members have no idea what they are voting for, and people running with a lot of followers, they could easily tell their followers to go and vote for them and quickly win by a landslide.

Anyway, one of the rules last election is that you have to be a member to vote (and obviously that applied for candidates as well).

You can find applications for things here (which I can accept them so don't worry about waiting) -> https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/2983720/
Just fill it out and post it.
Agree
@hellounicorns2 will decide and make a desicion
I'm not trying to be non-including but its true

Last edited by ncro2005 (May 7, 2018 15:44:19)

Hey you! Yes, you! I know you're reading this, so you should check out these things that I've made below!
If you don't, your projects and signatures will be eaten by a evil kumquat!

TheEnhancedText~A Shop where we make text GIF's, pics, and more!~Click me to check it out!
~
Check out the cool games I've made, click here!
ncro2005
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ncro2005 wrote:

Election Rules/Info
-Judges cannot vote (unless they are running) for bias reasons
-If a judge wins, expect to resign your role as a judge
-If a tie results, the (non-running) judges vote individually for candidates
-Please vote out of opinion or belief, not b/c they are your friend or something like that
-Candidates must have a vice president and a secretary and must be confirmed before voting occurs
-Candidates must have a speech in order to confirm their running.
-A banner is optional
-Policies, a new rule(s) or program are a way to further persuade people onto your side and in recommended
-Bribery in any form or way is unacceptable and will result in disqualification
-Candidates and their running mates are allowed to vote
-Candidates may drop out at any time
-You may change your vote (this may change)
-More info can be found on the laws page
BUMP
@hellounicorns2 should auto-implement this as a section

Last edited by ncro2005 (May 7, 2018 15:43:33)

Hey you! Yes, you! I know you're reading this, so you should check out these things that I've made below!

TheEnhancedText~A Shop where we make text GIF's, pics, and more!~Click me to check it out!
~
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No, they shouldn't really be deciding. That undermines the entire democratic process. A few people have supported your idea.. and I, in fact, think it might be good; but it needs to be properly voted upon. For now, elections run under normal rules. Your reasoning is slightly flawed too because presidents are voted for. Trusting the voters to pick someone who is good at their job is important.

Judges not voting is interesting, and probably a good idea, but again we do what we did last time unless a law is passed. If judges were allowed to run (under the expectation of resignation upon election)–then that must happen again this time.
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ncro2005 wrote:

ncro2005 wrote:

Election Rules/Info
-Judges cannot vote (unless they are running) for bias reasons
-If a judge wins, expect to resign your role as a judge
-If a tie results, the (non-running) judges vote individually for candidates
-Please vote out of opinion or belief, not b/c they are your friend or something like that
-Candidates must have a vice president and a secretary and must be confirmed before voting occurs
-Candidates must have a speech in order to confirm their running.
-A banner is optional
-Policies, a new rule(s) or program are a way to further persuade people onto your side and in recommended
-Bribery in any form or way is unacceptable and will result in disqualification
-Candidates and their running mates are allowed to vote
-Candidates may drop out at any time
-You may change your vote (this may change)
-More info can be found on the laws page
BUMP
@hellounicorns2 should auto-implement this as a section
I remind you, kindly, that hellounicorns2 shouldn't really be “auto-implementing” anything (especially without consensus!). A vote should take place.

Could I also kindly request you don't bump too frequently, it drowns out everything else. hellounicorns2 will get to your amazing suggestion soon!
XxOwl31xX
Scratcher
100+ posts

How you can help us: Not sure. It'll all come in time.
Any alt usernames: None
Have you read all laws and agreed to them: Yes
Following the thread: Yes

Owl

There is a madness to my method · It is one thing to be clever, but another to be wise · Determination is the wake-up call to the human will
✧ Defy monotony ∞ Knowledge is a weapon, and I intend to be formidably armed ∞ We are born to be real, not perfect ∞ Beautiful faces are everywhere, but beautiful minds are hard to find ✧ I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours

myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

jokebookservice1 wrote:

-snip-
You're like a boss on Scratch forums and will be a great president (if elected)

INACTIVE
SPA Member and Assosiate - Creator and overlord of ScratchNetwork - 700+ Forum Posts - Web and Desktop Dev - Fluent in VB, PHP and HTML. I'm okay at CSS and Javascript but am still learning. Sig written in PHP using the picture libary. Firebase is fun.

FollowCherryBlossom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

poppybunny wrote:

FollowCherryBlossom wrote:

Question: Is anyone allowed to run, if so I'll nominate myself to run?
Yep You are allowed to run.

Holly_The_Cat wrote:

Current candidates:
RPP-Exploration
BlackWolfee
Poppybunny
IggyAndCassie
ncro2005
GrahamSH
jokebookservice1
Holly_The_Cat
MasterOfTheTiger

Yay, lots of people (NINE!)
Now 10 (BIG election)
Yay Thanks, should I make a banner?

| Jess | 17 | Audiobook Maker | Artist | Coder | Questioning Biromantic | Writer | BROKEN + THE CYCLIST | #FINLAFOREVER

(((Finn the [Evil Kumquat Protector v]::#B22222)::#ffb6c1)::#9370DB)
XxOwl31xX
Scratcher
100+ posts

XxOwl31xX wrote:

Owl

There is a madness to my method · It is one thing to be clever, but another to be wise · Determination is the wake-up call to the human will
✧ Defy monotony ∞ Knowledge is a weapon, and I intend to be formidably armed ∞ We are born to be real, not perfect ∞ Beautiful faces are everywhere, but beautiful minds are hard to find ✧ I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours

ncro2005
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jokebookservice1 wrote:

No, they shouldn't really be deciding. That undermines the entire democratic process. A few people have supported your idea.. and I, in fact, think it might be good; but it needs to be properly voted upon. For now, elections run under normal rules. Your reasoning is slightly flawed too because presidents are voted for. Trusting the voters to pick someone who is good at their job is important.

Judges not voting is interesting, and probably a good idea, but again we do what we did last time unless a law is passed. If judges were allowed to run (under the expectation of resignation upon election)–then that must happen again this time.
Yes judges are allowed to run but if they do, not allowed to vote in a tie. Yes, until then.

~
ncro2005
Scratcher
1000+ posts

XxOwl31xX wrote:

XxOwl31xX wrote:

Accepted

poppybunny wrote:

Holly_The_Cat wrote:

Current candidates:
RPP-Exploration
BlackWolfee
Poppybunny
IggyAndCassie
ncro2005
GrahamSH
jokebookservice1
Holly_The_Cat
MasterOfTheTiger

Now 10 (BIG election)
Yes, if you would like to.
P.S. now 12 people are running!

~
FollowCherryBlossom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ncro2005 wrote:

XxOwl31xX wrote:

XxOwl31xX wrote:

Accepted

poppybunny wrote:

Holly_The_Cat wrote:

Current candidates:
RPP-Exploration
BlackWolfee
Poppybunny
IggyAndCassie
ncro2005
GrahamSH
jokebookservice1
Holly_The_Cat
MasterOfTheTiger

Now 10 (BIG election)
Yes, if you would like to.
P.S. now 12 people are running!
ok

| Jess | 17 | Audiobook Maker | Artist | Coder | Questioning Biromantic | Writer | BROKEN + THE CYCLIST | #FINLAFOREVER

FollowCherryBlossom
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~ Cherry

Last edited by FollowCherryBlossom (May 7, 2018 17:48:12)

hellounicorns2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Oh my I have lots to catch up on

inactive :​)
myeducate
Scratcher
500+ posts

hellounicorns2 wrote:

(semi-evil laugh)

INACTIVE
SPA Member and Assosiate - Creator and overlord of ScratchNetwork - 700+ Forum Posts - Web and Desktop Dev - Fluent in VB, PHP and HTML. I'm okay at CSS and Javascript but am still learning. Sig written in PHP using the picture libary. Firebase is fun.

Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

~ Cherry
Good image

RPP-Exploration
Scratcher
1000+ posts

hellounicorns2 wrote:

What do you need to do in the election? Banner? Statement? Nothing?

78ch3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Self nominate

Speech:
Hello. I am 78ch3, and I would love to run for president in the SPA June 2018 presidential election. My qualities for becoming a president are that I have lots of knowledge of Scratch. I run a successful shop, 78ch3’s Everything Shop, and I am Vice President of USS. I make amazing games and I am about to become a FPC in the coming weeks. I am apart of the Scratch wiki, where I have 350+ edits. I have more qualities than that:
I am kind and caring.
I let everybody have a say
I do not exclude people who deserve to be included.

Scratcher or new scratcher, 1000 posts or 1, 10000 followers or none, we are all one amazing community. We can do anything.

VOTE #1
78ch3 for president

Last edited by 78ch3 (May 8, 2018 07:26:20)

Sup, I’m 78ch3, person on the internet, TBGForums Member, owner of 78ch3's Everything Shop™ + The United Shops Of Scratch + Scratch Shop Reviewers Federation, and a very lazy person in general (IDK why). My pronouns are she/they for anyone interested. The bold orange words are links. Click them plz
Click here to find out how to get into any scratch account, without the password
Liquid Metal LLC - Information, Investigation, Infiltration /|\ Click to join the Advanced Stealth Combat RP /|\

My PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, AMD Radeon RX 6800XT ROG Strix Liquid cooled OC edition, ROG Strix x570-E Gaming, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB), Seagate FireCuda 520 PCIe Gen 4 NVMe (500GB), Crucial P2 PCIe Gen 3 NVMe (1TB), Corsair HX1000, Gigabyte G34WQC, RIG 800HD.
I mostly play Fortnite, Minecraft, the Touhou Project series and Terraria

Oh, you won’t see this without a ctrl+shift+down.
People need better thumbnails.
Also there's a lot of anti-kumquat equipment but the kumquats are too scared to come within 100 kilometres of me.
hellounicorns2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

And it’s done!

ncro2005 wrote:

I nominate myself for president

GrahamSH wrote:

same. can we write our speeches yet?

myeducate wrote:

And me

jokebookservice1 wrote:

I see no text on how presidential elections run. In any case, I suppose I nominate myself?

Holly_The_Cat wrote:

Do you think I could nominate myself please.

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

I know there are many people running already, but I have not got a chance to do anything like this and would like to nominate myself to run for president.

XxOwl31xX wrote:

I also nominate myself.

78ch3 wrote:

I nominate me
Acknowledged
Current candidates (13):
myeducate
RPP-Exploration
BlackWolfee
Poppybunny
IggyAndCassie
ncro2005
GrahamSH
jokebookservice1
Holly_The_Cat
MasterOfTheTiger
XxOwl31xX
FollowCherryBlossum
78ch3
@GrahamSH yes. You are required to write a speech and make a campaign logo before the election, and answers list of debate questions which I will send out closer to the election.

Co49 wrote:

Since there are a lot of candidates and you allowed people to change their votes before, would you consider using Alternative Voting?
One step ahead of you- if you look like 10 pages back me and python_megapixel have decided we will use alternate voting.

ncro2005 wrote:

You have to be a member of the SPA to be nominated. Or that's what at least I remember.
Nope. Anyone can run. Although, as far as I’m concerned all people running have a position of sorts.

ncro2005 wrote:

I think that you should be a SPA member in order to be president b/c people could get nominated, win, and have no idea what to do with it. (If you don't know, there is a non-shop member application.) I also think that people should be SPA members in order to vote b/c non members have no idea what they are voting for, and people running with a lot of followers, they could easily tell their followers to go and vote for them and quickly win by a landslide.

Anyway, one of the rules last election is that you have to be a member to vote (and obviously that applied for candidates as well).

You can find applications for things here (which I can accept them so don't worry about waiting) -> https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/2983720/
Just fill it out and post it.
I guess. But all of the people running are members.

ncro2005 wrote:

Election Rules/Info
-Judges cannot vote (unless they are running) for bias reasons or they receive special permission from a head department member who thinks they are trustworthy.
-If a judge wins, expect to resign your role as a judge correct
-If a tie results, the (non-running) judges vote individually for candidates correct
-Please vote out of opinion or belief, not b/c they are your friend or something like that true, but we can’t enforce it.
-Candidates must have a vice president and a secretary and must be confirmed before voting occurs correct
-Candidates must have a speech in order to confirm their running. Correct
-A banner is optional correct, although it is highly recommended
-Policies, a new rule(s) or program are a way to further persuade people onto your side and in recommended correct
-Bribery in any form or way is unacceptable and will result in disqualification it is actually allowed, but you cannot bribe judges.
-Candidates and their running mates are allowed to vote if they are non-shop members or own a Shop which is a member
-Candidates may drop out at any time correct, although we hope you don’t as it is a little annoying
-You may change your vote (this may change) correct
-More info can be found on the laws page kinda, but it is kinda vague
See answers in bold.

ncro2005 wrote:

People who need to fill out the application form to run/vote
-XxOwl31xX

How you can help us:
Any alt usernames:
Have you read all laws and agreed to them:
Following the thread:

People that are questionable for running (The Judges)
-jokebookservice1
-RPP-Exploration
-IggyAndCassie
-MasterOfTheTiger
-GrahamSH

@hellounicorns will decide if you can run
A possible solution is that you would have to resign if you win or get into a voting tie to be unbiased.
Remember judges are not allowed to vote b/c of bias.
Incorrect. XxOwl31xX runs a NSNP shop which is starting up.

jokebookservice1 wrote:

When do we present our speeches?

EDIT:

If you wish to prevent non-members from voting, a democratic vote should be held, and not arbitrarily just deciding to do so. P.S. I am both a judge and a member of this association.
Any time before June 1.

Co49 wrote:

Correct.

jokebookservice1 wrote:

Here is my campaign speech then..
Nice speech.

jokebookservice1 wrote:

I don’t think I really should autoimplement anything right now, however, most things ncro2005 has said I agree with. Generally, right now isn’t the best time to implement laws.

XxOwl31xX wrote:

Accepted but you didn’t have to since you run a NSNP Shop.

myeducate wrote:

You're like a boss on Scratch forums and will be a great president (if elected)
Great to see the candidates being friendly to each other .
@FollowCherryBlossum Ncro2005 has answered your question perfectly.

~ Cherry
Nice!

myeducate wrote:

(semi-evil laugh)
And people still have 8 days to decide to run…

RPP-Exploration wrote:

What do you need to do in the election? Banner? Statement? Nothing?
Banner (optional)
Speech (compulsory, it could be anything from a short statement to a massive essay though.)
Slogan (optional)
Vice President (compulsory)
Secretary (compulsory)
Answers to debate questions (highly recommended, coming soon)
All of these are due on June 1 if marked as compulsory.

78ch3 wrote:

Self nominate

Speech:
Hello. I am 78ch3, and I would love to run for president in the SPA June 2018 presidential election. My qualities for becoming a president are that I have lots of knowledge of Scratch. I run a successful shop, 78ch3’s Everything Shop, and I am Vice President of USS. I make amazing games and I am about to become a FPC in the coming weeks. I am apart of the Scratch wiki, where I have 350+ edits. I have more qualities than that:
I am kind and caring.
I let everybody have a say
I do not exclude people who deserve to be included.

Scratcher or new scratcher, 1000 posts or 1, 10000 followers or none, we are all one amazing community. We can do anything.

VOTE
78ch3 for president
Nice speech, although I would say ‘VOTE #1’ since Shops have to vote in a list of 1-13
EDIT: didn’t see your response TerrariaDude

Last edited by hellounicorns2 (May 7, 2018 21:58:29)

inactive :​)
  • Discussion Forums
  • » Requests
  • » ⭐️ᔕᕼOᑭ ᑭᗩᖇTᑎEᖇᔕᕼIᑭ ᗩᔕᔕOᑕIᗩTIOᑎ (ᔕᑭᗩ)⭐️[APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW]⭐️ωε’яε вαcк !! тнε вεsт ωαү тσ gяσω үσυя sнσρ ⭐️JOIN NOW⭐️27 member shops⭐️ [RSS Feed]