Discuss Scratch

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writings and Ravings of a Lunatic (me!) ^m^

So y'all remember when I posted all the cr4p I have in my fun workspace?
And y'know there was this old mochi thing I stole from a party and never ate

WELL
Today I had my last final of the year so I ate it
It was decent
Maybe not worth saving for 5 months but eh, it was good

Anyway, ever notice how on Scratch, a lot of people like to announce to the world that they have synesthesia? It's not really that rare… we're all just like “YAY I HAVE SYNESTHESIA SYNPRIDE YAY!!!” I'm not saying that's bad or anything. It's just weird. Just like synesthesia itself. It's not bad or good, just… weird.
Like me.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheese-duck wrote:

Anyway, ever notice how on Scratch, a lot of people like to announce to the world that they have synesthesia? It's not really that rare… we're all just like “YAY I HAVE SYNESTHESIA SYNPRIDE YAY!!!” I'm not saying that's bad or anything. It's just weird. Just like synesthesia itself. It's not bad or good, just… weird.
Like me.
Well, there's a lot of stuff in this world that isn't ‘rare’ that people often celebrate about themselves. It usually comes from a sort of self-acceptance angle, where people celebrate learning to love this aspect of themselves that isn't ‘normal’ in other people's eyes.

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Like me.
Well, there's a lot of stuff in this world that isn't ‘rare’ that people often celebrate about themselves. It usually comes from a sort of self-acceptance angle, where people celebrate learning to love this aspect of themselves that isn't ‘normal’ in other people's eyes.
Yeah… everyone needs self esteem.
Synesthesia is pretty cool though
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I’ve decided to start a new CYOA game. This one is a mystery, though. Since I need to wait to continue the old one, it was going to end (highlight if you want to be spoiled) with your character finding out they’re in a sitcom with a laugh track and being brought out. They were put in there a long time ago and the show is going to end because it’s going through seasonal rot and the main writer wants the character to still exist. .
Here it goes
Chapter 1: Headache
The first thing you sense is a pain that throws through you. It’s some combination of indigestion, a headache, and being on fire. But you aren’t. And the pain fades eventually. Several thoughts flash through your mind- two symbols, one curly and one that resembles a square with a C inside. A sharp pain in your wrist. Your vision going from light to dark.
When you can open your eyes, you do. Wherever you are, it smells terrible. A bitter taste still lingers on your tounge, though you can’t identify it. The surface underneath you is unstable- squishy in some parts, hard in others. The sun beats down on the parts of you that aren’t clothed, mainly your arms and legs below the knees.
Fighting the back pain, you sit up and take a while to process the situation. You are in a dumpster. What a turn of events. The dumpster isn’t unrecognizable- You’ve seen it before. This is the dumpster behind the drive-thru at Henry’s Burgers. You’ve been to Henry’s before, right? But you’ve never even in the dumpster before. There’s no reason you should be. You climb out of the dumpster and stand against it, watching cars drive past and hoping they didn't see you. Why were you even in there? Why would you have gotten in there? Did you? Were you placed? Was it an accident?
And more importantly, what now?
(NOTE: At any time you can say ‘examine’ to look around and maybe unlock some more options or find out where you should go.)
-Search your memories.

-Look to see what state you’re in.

-Enter the burger restaurant.

o-Berryfrost-o
Scratcher
100+ posts

cheese-duck wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

Like me.
Yeah… everyone needs self esteem.
Synesthesia is pretty cool though
So what's it like having synesthesia??? I mean, in the specifics - like how color and music/sound get mixed up, or when taste reminds you of like, an object (wait not sure if that one's real)

it must be fascinating but also the worst. I mean, you're sitting at school, learning, and then someone says a letter and you see a color appear and disappear in front of you. Like??? Whomst'd've??

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

The first thing you sense is a pain that throws through you. It’s some combination of indigestion, a headache, and being on fire. But you aren’t. And the pain fades eventually. Several thoughts flash through your mind- two symbols, one curly and one that resembles a square with a C inside. A sharp pain in your wrist. Your vision going from light to dark.
When you can open your eyes, you do. Wherever you are, it smells terrible. A bitter taste still lingers on your tounge, though you can’t identify it. The surface underneath you is unstable- squishy in some parts, hard in others. The sun beats down on the parts of you that aren’t clothed, mainly your arms and legs below the knees.
Fighting the back pain, you sit up and take a while to process the situation. You are in a dumpster. What a turn of events. The dumpster isn’t unrecognizable- You’ve seen it before. This is the dumpster behind the drive-thru at Henry’s Burgers. You’ve been to Henry’s before, right? But you’ve never even in the dumpster before. There’s no reason you should be. You climb out of the dumpster and stand against it, watching cars drive past and hoping they didn't see you. Why were you even in there? Why would you have gotten in there? Did you? Were you placed? Was it an accident?
(NOTE: At any time you can say ‘examine’ to look around and maybe unlock some more options or find out where you should go.)
-Search your memories.

Enter the burger restaraunt

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

o-Berryfrost-o wrote:

So what's it like having synesthesia??? I mean, in the specifics - like how color and music/sound get mixed up, or when taste reminds you of like, an object (wait not sure if that one's real)

it must be fascinating but also the worst. I mean, you're sitting at school, learning, and then someone says a letter and you see a color appear and disappear in front of you. Like??? Whomst'd've??
I'm no expert, but I don't think it works like that. Wikipedia has this to say about it, which doesn't explain it exactly and is potentially unreliable but makes it a bit clearer:

Wikipedia wrote:

In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme-color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored. In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be “farther away” than 1990), or may appear as a three-dimensional map (clockwise or counterclockwise). Synesthetic associations can occur in any combination and any number of senses or cognitive pathways

Only a few types of synesthesia have been scientifically evaluated. Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person

The automatic and ineffable nature of a synesthetic experience means that the pairing may not seem out of the ordinary. This involuntary and consistent nature helps define synesthesia as a real experience. Most synesthetes report that their experiences are pleasant or neutral, although, in rare cases, synesthetes report that their experiences can lead to a degree of sensory overload.
We might get a better answer from anyone on the thread who has it, though.

Last edited by TheRealNetherBefore (June 12, 2018 20:29:47)

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

o-Berryfrost-o wrote:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it works like that. Wikipedia has this to say about it, which doesn't explain it exactly and is potentially unreliable but makes it a bit clearer:

Wikipedia wrote:

In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme-color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored. In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be “farther away” than 1990), or may appear as a three-dimensional map (clockwise or counterclockwise). Synesthetic associations can occur in any combination and any number of senses or cognitive pathways

Only a few types of synesthesia have been scientifically evaluated. Awareness of synesthetic perceptions varies from person to person

The automatic and ineffable nature of a synesthetic experience means that the pairing may not seem out of the ordinary. This involuntary and consistent nature helps define synesthesia as a real experience. Most synesthetes report that their experiences are pleasant or neutral, although, in rare cases, synesthetes report that their experiences can lead to a degree of sensory overload.
We might get a better answer from anyone on the thread who has it, though.
I think some people actually see the colors at the edges of their vision, which probably causes the ‘sensory overload’
My experiences are neutral because I'm not really aware of it most of the time. The colors and feelings just linger there in my subconscious. (Sometimes it affects how I perceive a word or something, but I'm hardly aware of that.)
Unless I see a purple 7. Then things get weird… jk it's not THAT objectionable. my brother and i just joke that purple 7 is absolutely unacceptable

Edit: Whomst'd've is a very colorful “word.” Also despite my name having all 6 main colors of the spectrum, I perceive it as mostly yellow

Last edited by cheese-duck (June 12, 2018 20:44:23)

cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

-Search your memories.

You walk into the burger restaurant with no regard for how you look. You get some glances on the way in, but nothing too bad. Sitting down at a booth, you wait for a sever to come take your order. The one who eventually comes over is a guy not much older than you. He drops the menus on your table and looks around as if he’s confused about something. Soon afterwards, he turns to you.
“Hey, Austin. The other guys coming today or no? I can order some stuff for them if you need.”
What?
This man’s name tag says his name is Nate. Do you know him? You can’t quite remember. And who is he talking about? Should you know? What other guys? You think back to who you know.
Surprisingly, it dawns on you that you don’t remember anyone.
You must have met some people, right?
He called you Austin. It seems relatively familiar and there’s nothing to contradict it. Austin what? What’s your last name?
You can’t remember.
Nate stands.
“Do you need some more time to decide? Do you want a drink this time? I know you usually order straight away.”
—-
Note: You can examine at any time
-“Do I know you?”

-Order.

-Look at yourself.

-Rack your memories.

-Run from the burger shop.

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

-Search your memories.

You walk into the burger restaurant with no regard for how you look. You get some glances on the way in, but nothing too bad. Sitting down at a booth, you wait for a sever to come take your order. The one who eventually comes over is a guy not much older than you. He drops the menus on your table and looks around as if he’s confused about something. Soon afterwards, he turns to you.
“Hey, Austin. The other guys coming today or no? I can order some stuff for them if you need.”
What?
This man’s name tag says his name is Nate. Do you know him? You can’t quite remember. And who is he talking about? Should you know? What other guys? You think back to who you know.
He called you Austin. It seems relatively familiar and there’s nothing to contradict it. Austin what? What’s your last name?
You can’t remember.
Nate stands.
“Do you need some more time to decide? Do you want a drink this time? I know you usually order straight away.”
—-
-“Do I know you?”

-Order.

-Look at yourself.

-Rack your memories.

Look at myself.
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

-Search your memories.

What?
You can’t remember.
Nate stands.
—-
-“Do I know you?”

-Order.

-Look at yourself.

-Rack your memories.

Look at myself.
You look at yourself.
Nothing seems to out of order at first. You have a red mark around your wrist that looks like it’ll go away in a few days. You’re wearing a white top with no sleeves. Your pants are loose enough to allow some air in. The most notable thing about you is the tattoo on your shoulder.
It’s of the swirly symbol you first remembered while waking up. Below it is a code of some sort, E27CIAGMP.
You aren’t incredibly injured, but there are no pockets on the outfit, and nowhere your personal information could be. This is not a good thing. You can’t remember any of it either. Who are you?
When you look up, your server is on the other side of the room. You must have taken too long. The server seemed to know you, at least. Maybe he could get you on the right track. But he has to work and can’t stay around at your table forever. Besides, there might be better sources of information out there.
Note: You can say examine at any time to look around
-Wait and ask Nate about yourself.

-Go look somewhere else.

-Get some food and then go somewhere else.

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

-Search your memories.

What?
You can’t remember.
Nate stands.
—-
-“Do I know you?”

-Order.

-Look at yourself.

-Rack your memories.

Look at myself.
You look at yourself.
Nothing seems to out of order at first. You have a red mark around your wrist that looks like it’ll go away in a few days. You’re wearing a white top with no sleeves. Your pants are loose enough to allow some air in. The most notable thing about you is the tattoo on your shoulder.
It’s of the swirly symbol you first remembered while waking up. Below it is a code of some sort, E27CIAGMP.
You aren’t incredibly injured, but there are no pockets on the outfit, and nowhere your personal information could be. This is not a good thing. You can’t remember any of it either. Who are you?
When you look up, your server is on the other side of the room. You must have taken too long. The server seemed to know you, at least. Maybe he could get you on the right track. But he has to work and can’t stay around at your table forever. Besides, there might be better sources of information out there.

-Go look somewhere else.

Examine.
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

-Search your memories.

What?
You can’t remember.
Nate stands.
—-
-“Do I know you?”

-Order.

-Look at yourself.

-Rack your memories.

Look at myself.
You look at yourself.

-Go look somewhere else.

Examine.
The burger restaurant is not unusual. People sit in booths all around you, none of which you recognize. The only server you know is Nate, who is serving a couple at a table in the corner right now. Out of dishes, Nate walks back to the kitchen to drop someone off. As he’s about to enter, someone runs into the restaurant and over to him. Surprisingly, they hug.
Their conversation is loud.
“Susan!” Nate says, putting his dishes down next to him. “You’re back!”
Susan nods and hands him a slip of paper, saying something about her phone breaking. They talk for a bit and she kisses him on the cheek. They say goodbye and she exits the restaurant to the car. There’s something about her…
Your vision goes black again.
1 Memory gained!
Susan is next to you, smiling. You’re at a table. Both of you wear lab coats.
It’s a short memory, but it counts for something.
Susan is outside in her car now.
-Wait for Nate to come back.

-Leave and go look somewhere else.

-Follow Susan.

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

The burger restaurant is not unusual. People sit in booths all around you, none of which you recognize. The only server you know is Nate, who is serving a couple at a table in the corner right now. Out of dishes, Nate walks back to the kitchen to drop someone off. As he’s about to enter, someone runs into the restaurant and over to him. Surprisingly, they hug.
Susan nods and hands him a slip of paper, saying something about her phone breaking. They talk for a bit and she kisses him on the cheek. They say goodbye and she exits the restaurant to the car. There’s something about her…
1 Memory gained!

-Follow Susan.
Wait for Nate to come back.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

1 Memory gained!

-Follow Susan.
After a bit, Nate comes back to your table. He awkwardly stands for a few seconds and nods at you. “Want to take your order?” He asks cautiously, pulling out his notepad. “Or would you like a drink first?”
Nate might have some clues to your current situation. That memory remains in your head, with you and Susan in lab coats. This might come back to help you later. But now you have to decide what to ask. Should you maybe just order and see if eating brings anything back? Or should you find a way to phrase your question that makes it seem like you aren’t disoriented?

-Be direct. Tell him you can’t remember anything.

-Be subtle. Ask him without revealing that you don’t know.

-Just order food and drink.

-Exit to go look somewhere else.

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

1 Memory gained!

-Follow Susan.
After a bit, Nate comes back to your table. He awkwardly stands for a few seconds and nods at you. “Want to take your order?” He asks cautiously, pulling out his notepad. “Or would you like a drink first?”
Nate might have some clues to your current situation. That memory remains in your head, with you and Susan in lab coats. This might come back to help you later. But now you have to decide what to ask. Should you maybe just order and see if eating brings anything back? Or should you find a way to phrase your question that makes it seem like you aren’t disoriented?

Be direct.
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cheese-duck wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

cs156175 wrote:

1 Memory gained!

-Follow Susan.

Be direct.
“Nate, I..” You struggle. How to tell him? “I don’t know you.”
Nate looks confused. “What do you mean? Is this to do with your secret government thing you were talking about? Are you under a new identity?”
Secret government projects?
“No. I don’t remember anything. Not even my own last name,” You say, scratching your head. “I don’t know what happened, but I woke up in the dumpster outside. Since then I’ve only had one memory come back and I have no idea what it means.”
Nate is concerned. It slowly dawns on him that you aren’t joking.
“What was the memory?” He asks.
“It was of me and the woman who just came in to see you. We were in lab coats in some kind of white room.” You answer.
Nate thinks for a bit. “Sorry, pal.” He says. “I can’t help you with that. I know you’re a chemist for the city, so that could explain it. And I don’t know your last name. You sure you don’t have any identification?”
Since you’ve already checked for pockets, you shake your head, but remember to mention something else. “Any idea what this means?” You ask, pointing at the tattoo and the code. Nate shakes his head.
“I never thought you were the kind of person to get a tattoo.” He says. “But I’ve also never seen your bare shoulder before.”
What now?

-Ask him some more questions.

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

Nate looks confused. “What do you mean? Is this to do with your secret government thing you were talking about? Are you under a new identity?”
“No. I don’t remember anything. Not even my own last name,” You say, scratching your head. “I don’t know what happened, but I woke up in the dumpster outside. Since then I’ve only had one memory come back and I have no idea what it means.”
“It was of me and the woman who just came in to see you. We were in lab coats in some kind of white room.” You answer.
Nate thinks for a bit. “Sorry, pal.” He says. “I can’t help you with that. I know you’re a chemist for the city, so that could explain it. And I don’t know your last name. You sure you don’t have any identification?”
Since you’ve already checked for pockets, you shake your head, but remember to mention something else. “Any idea what this means?” You ask, pointing at the tattoo and the code. Nate shakes his head.
“I never thought you were the kind of person to get a tattoo.” He says. “But I’ve also never seen your bare shoulder before.”
What now?

examine

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
cs156175
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

What now?

examine
People are pulling out of the parking lot. Strangely, Susan is still in her car, talking to someone on the phone. Nate wears the standard Henry’s burgers uniform, as do all of the other servers. There’s a door to the back where the kitchen and maintenance rooms are. There are 3 cameras, for security purposes most likely. Your tattoo is still there.

-Follow Susan in her car.

-Ask Nate some more questions.

-Go somewhere else to look.

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs156175 wrote:

People are pulling out of the parking lot. Strangely, Susan is still in her car, talking to someone on the phone. Nate wears the standard Henry’s burgers uniform, as do all of the other servers. There’s a door to the back where the kitchen and maintenance rooms are. There are 3 cameras, for security purposes most likely. Your tattoo is still there.

-Follow Susan in her car.

-Ask Nate some more questions.

-Go somewhere else to look.
Follow Susan in her car

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken