Discuss Scratch

LydzWinry
Scratcher
1000+ posts

make a scratch editor dark theme

fdreerf wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Perfect for users who live in the dark.

…but why are you “living in the dark”? Why sabotage your sleep schedule when it can be done in the day? This is a major concern, even if you don't realize it.
At 26 N where Miami is, the sun sets before 6 PM in late December and early January. At 43 N where I live, the sun sets before 5 PM. At 61 N where Anchorage is, the sun sets before 4 PM. And if you're one of the poor sods who live above 70 N, the suns sets before 2 PM at that time of year. Dark does not necessarily mean night time.
Thx for pointing this out.

Highlight part of my siggy and ctrl+shift+down to see more of it!
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
-C.S. Lewis
I'm on the cusp of Virgo and Libra and I'm a serious gamer. All hail the almighty snail.
Why Scratch is a social media platform: For context, the topic was a suggestion for better message filtering.
I run The Amethyst Shop 2.0 and ~The Rose Shop!~. NOTICE: THEY ARE BEING MERGED. ONCE THE MERGING HAS OCCURED, THE MERGED SHOP WILL BE ADVERTISED HERE.
LydzWinry
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

That's not the only reason though- I have it enabled for almost every site that allows it, and I'm used to it now so it's annoying to have it off on scratch

Yet again, I like it too, however, it seems like the most popular reason as per why people are supporting it. This does not mean that this is the only reason. Looking through the pages, it seems like the most popular reason.
I do agree with your point that it's not healthy to stay up all night. However, darkness =/= night. The farther north you live, the earlier the sun sets during the winter.

Highlight part of my siggy and ctrl+shift+down to see more of it!
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
-C.S. Lewis
I'm on the cusp of Virgo and Libra and I'm a serious gamer. All hail the almighty snail.
Why Scratch is a social media platform: For context, the topic was a suggestion for better message filtering.
I run The Amethyst Shop 2.0 and ~The Rose Shop!~. NOTICE: THEY ARE BEING MERGED. ONCE THE MERGING HAS OCCURED, THE MERGED SHOP WILL BE ADVERTISED HERE.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LydzWinry wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

That's not the only reason though- I have it enabled for almost every site that allows it, and I'm used to it now so it's annoying to have it off on scratch

Yet again, I like it too, however, it seems like the most popular reason as per why people are supporting it. This does not mean that this is the only reason. Looking through the pages, it seems like the most popular reason.
I do agree with your point that it's not healthy to stay up all night. However, darkness =/= night. The farther north you live, the earlier the sun sets during the winter.

Yeah…but check out the posts. They're implying the use of it overnight. I'm going to throw some out there to give you and idea, but keep in mind that there are many, many more.

Gobblesmack wrote:

Support. It would be useful at night.

The4thPixel wrote:

I like this, it would be easier if editing a project at night.

-PixelByte- wrote:

Support! Maybe the brightness could adjust itself according to the current time of where you are; so if it's like 4AM (still dark), the editor would be dark but slowly brighten as time goes on and the sun rises…

leahcimto wrote:

Support! This would be helpful at night

splunkensplash wrote:

Huge support! A dark theme would help me, I like staying up late at night.

NilsTheBest wrote:

Well, youtube has that and a dark mode could indeed be better when navigating through Scratch at night (like me until 4 AM…), so support!

AdvertiserPolice wrote:

Support, i don't want to be blinded while browsing Scratch at night.

canarycat2000 wrote:

Support,Especially if you're sometimes a late-night programmer like me. In fact we should have night mode not just for the editor, but for the whole website too.

ResExsention wrote:

Yes, absolutely has my full support. I'm writing this quite late and the stark white is making my eyes tired…

royaltyfreemusic wrote:

I think this a great idea partularly at night time

dimayajonelcid wrote:

I support this. This would be a really great addition to the site and would be ideal for using Scratch at night!

24KERASM wrote:

I need this for when I'm on scratch on the toilet at 2 am.

Get the picture?

Last edited by Super_Scratch_Bros20 (Oct. 30, 2020 02:47:22)

da_fin
Scratcher
100+ posts

Not sure if I already commented on this thread or not, but I support this. It helps with eye strain late at night.

hey
OffShock
Scratcher
78 posts

Support.

Haha funny siggy go brrrr
Also don't @ me.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OffShock wrote:

Support.

Why? Please remember to be constructive!

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OffShock wrote:

Support.
Hey thanks. Dont forget to give some supporting evidence as to why you support

Wow, the people on scratch must be awesome samruais because I just got ninjad again

Last edited by gosoccerboy5 (Oct. 30, 2020 02:51:43)

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Huge snip
I appreciate the concern but I don't exactly see how it makes it an invalid suggestion that people support because they're staying up at night.

You are going to wrote:

Well that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying that you shouldn't stay up so late
I mean.. this isn't exactly a life advice forum lol
Glad that you're trying to help others at least.

Last edited by gosoccerboy5 (Oct. 30, 2020 02:56:23)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

I appreciate the concern but I don't exactly see how it makes it an invalid suggestion that people support because they're staying up at night.

It doesn't make the suggestion itself invalid. I'm basically pointing out that this is likely why the Scratch Team didn't implement it sooner – or maybe, that's why it was removed after 1x.

misthorsestar
Scratcher
7 posts

Techno-CAT wrote:

Hello

The dark theme existed in Scratch 1x, but the developers got rid of it in 2x.

Why not re-implement it? Sometimes bright white can be straining to the eyes, hence need for an option to enable a dark mode.

Techno

*** Note from the Scratch Team ***

Please don't add links to browser extensions, userstyles or userscripts - that's going against this policy

You are right. I hate it when I’m on Scratch at 8:00 pm and I have too look at a bright screen. #BringBackDarkMode jsyk, i wasn’t in Scratch when it was 1.0

(excess characters removed by moderator - please don't spam)

Last edited by Paddle2See (Oct. 30, 2020 09:21:07)

when green flag clicked
say [Hi there! I’m Misty! Please go follow me, thanks!]
dogeiscut
Scratcher
500+ posts

peanut
PaddlerGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. This would be useful not only for night, but for people who are used to using darkmode on everything.

Generation -1: The first time you see this, copy and paste it on top of your signature in the Scratch forums, and decrease the generation by 1. Social experiment.

Welcome to my siggy

I'm close to 1,000 posts…
(the post reader below my icon is wrong, I don't have 1000+ posts yet, that's just a glitch)
Codebeginner459
Scratcher
100+ posts

Strong support. Make this come true. Night mode is an essential.

signature
I Want CODING EXERCISE/ CODING PUZZLES/ CODING TASKS on Scratch.
Studio:
Scratch practice and exercise , Scratch Excercise ONLY (Scratch Coding Exercise) Discussions: Suggestion: Make a series of coding challenges Collab: Coding exercise for beginner Scratchers
Please make this come true. Many thanks in advance.
PS: Scratch within Scratch (Scratch emulator): https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/453042/
JPOWERPUFFGIRLS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

misthorsestar wrote:

Techno-CAT wrote:

snip
when green flag clicked
define [scratchblocks]
[/scratchblocks]
move ()2 steps
(distance to [ v])
Please don't blockspam

Last edited by JPOWERPUFFGIRLS (Oct. 30, 2020 05:26:19)

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

andyman11 wrote:

-snippy lippy-
I support just because it looks nice, I actually have dark-mode on using a certain extension.
me too

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

It doesn't make the suggestion itself invalid. I'm basically pointing out that this is likely why the Scratch Team didn't implement it sooner – or maybe, that's why it was removed after 1x.
Ah, I see. I was just reasoning along the lines of https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/355721/?page=1#post-3603086 because it seems as though the ST would like to stay out of people's personal screen time patterns

GachaN0nsense
Scratcher
500+ posts

I support dark theme. I use it on almost everything- daytime or not.

MOVING TO @NotDucki_
Twin138956Scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wait what? Close to a thousand?

Twin138956Scratch

| Follower Rank: #159 Worldwide - #90 USA | Brother: ScratchTeen9300 | Featured 30.08.20 | Proposed 1,500+ studios

=====

Forum Posts Made: [1,000]
Scratcher of the Month: RC_Legend
Project of the Month: An Outdoor Adventure…
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Gah! I'd only like dark mode in the editor, no dark forums please
As long as its optional too and can be turned off

-CloudGate-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Twin138956Scratch wrote:

Wait what? Close to a thousand?