Discuss Scratch

AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

make a scratch editor dark theme

-XTV- wrote:

on top of it, why not add an entire website dark theme? this is only suggesting an editor dark theme
Yes, tho the 2.0 pages still offer a darker theme, which could be the non-dark theme? Maybe? It's an idea…

~ AHypnoman (Use Shift+Down Arrow to see the rest of my signature)

I am an evil kumquat, and your siggy looks tasty…
Hello there, I'm AHypnoman, If you write my name remember to capitalize the “H”. “When you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. your tastes only narrow & exclude people. so create.” I write though as tho.
According to the Chrome Console, my viewbox attribute is “Garbage”. Very nice, Chrome.
#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

If you did not notice, this topic exists because of Scratch's bright colour theme. It seems to me like you are trying to invalidate every opinion on this topic, and that's not the kind of input that the forum needs.

Most suggestions need to see the pros and cons – here they are:

Pros:
-Helps with the “”“”“ bright” “”“”“” website
-Perfect for users who stay up all night
-Looks cool

Cons:
-Almost all users want it just because their eyes hurt, and it's not too bright
-Many users want it so that they can use Scratch all night

It's not that the pros should outweigh the cons. Heck, check out changing usernames:

Pros:
-Perfect for users who had an inappropriate username and want to change it before the Scratch Team sees
-Perfect for users who put personal information in without knowing that it's bad
-Amazing for users who don't like their username
-Ideal for users who like to try something new

Cons:
-Confuses users

That got rejected. Sometimes, what you need is negative input so that you can make it better.

AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

AHypnoman wrote:

If you did not notice, this topic exists because of Scratch's bright colour theme. It seems to me like you are trying to invalidate every opinion on this topic, and that's not the kind of input that the forum needs.

Pros:
-Looks cool

Cons:

It's not that the pros should outweigh the cons. Heck, check out changing usernames:

Pros:
-Perfect for users who had an inappropriate username and want to change it before the Scratch Team sees
-Perfect for users who put personal information in without knowing that it's bad

Cons:
-Confuses users

That got rejected. Sometimes, what you need is negative input so that you can make it better.
Then maybe you could tell us what the pros/cons to a dark theme are? A suggestion does not need to follow a specific format. If I want to share my opinion, I don't want someone who is criticizing every post on the topic to state that my opinion does not matter. And, your posts seem to be doing just that: Make all other posts invalid. It actually doesn't help. I have my opinions, other people have theirs. I'm not going to criticize their lifestyle or outright invalidate their reasoning. Doing that doesn't help.

Last edited by AHypnoman (Nov. 2, 2020 14:43:58)

Hello there, I'm AHypnoman, If you write my name remember to capitalize the “H”. “When you don't create things, you become defined by your tastes rather than ability. your tastes only narrow & exclude people. so create.” I write though as tho.
According to the Chrome Console, my viewbox attribute is “Garbage”. Very nice, Chrome.
#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

zakspademan
Scratcher
64 posts

AHypnoman wrote:

Pros:
-Looks cool

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

I'd just have it because well who likes light theme when you can have a more Edgy teenager version

Life is life
Quote by myself. Weird right?

say [Yeets] for (100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) secs

Words
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

AHypnoman wrote:

Pros:
-Looks cool

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

Then maybe you could tell us what the pros/cons to a dark theme are? A suggestion does not need to follow a specific format. If I want to share my opinion, I don't want someone who is criticizing every post on the topic to state that my opinion does not matter. And, your posts seem to be doing just that: Make all other posts invalid. It actually doesn't help. I have my opinions, other people have theirs. I'm not going to criticize their lifestyle or outright invalidate their reasoning. Doing that doesn't help.

I already stated what the pros and cons to the dark theme are… re-read the first pros and cons list.

Hey, the Scratch Team does the same thing. They have to look on the positive and negative side – right now, I see some crucial negative aspects. If they never looked on the negative side, we'd have every suggestion implemented – which in turn comes chaotic consequences.

littlebunny06
Scratcher
100+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

Actually, changing usernames is functionally difficult for the Scratch Team. They can do it, but it is particularly troublesome for them. Also, I can argue that the con you listed “Confuses users” has a very large weight to it. I don't think, “Almost all users want it just because their eyes hurt, and it's not too bright” has such a weight to it. Seriously though, screen light can really strain the eyes. Why not give the user more options to reduce that eye strain? Also, staying up at night is a choice people make and it can not be proven yet, a far as I know, that having a night mode will cause more people to stay up on Scratch at night(I personally stay up on Scratch a lot and I would like a dark mode).

3D Graphics on Scratch studio: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/32030084/

OLD(no more BETA development ): Follow Gamma Engine Beta development here: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/30998173/
AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

1. I have, and I can't quite work out what “”“”“”“”“”“”“” means.
2. The negative side is generated by the “No Support” posts.

And a little note regarding when you first quoted my support post: Maybe I shouldn't use Scratch, but then, maybe half the people on this topic shouldn't either. It's almost saying that digital eye strain doesn't exist.

And something to help all those people who stay up till 12:00 doing Scratch:

Za-Chary wrote:

7.9 Pop-up alert that encourages users to take a break from screen time
Certainly too much computer time is not good for anyone. But, if someone is concerned about themselves or their children getting too much screen time, there are other methods that exist that can help encourage these healthy choices, such as external software or simple willpower. There is not a need to have such a warning built into Scratch, even if it is optional or able to be ignored.

#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

purpleowlcatdog
Scratcher
13 posts

AHypnoman wrote:

And a little note regarding when you first quoted my support post: Maybe I shouldn't use Scratch, but then, maybe half the people on this topic shouldn't either. It's almost saying that digital eye strain doesn't exist.

Za-Chary wrote:

Certainly too much computer time is not good for anyone. But, if someone is concerned about themselves or their children getting too much screen time, there are other methods that exist that can help encourage these healthy choices, such as external software or simple willpower. There is not a need to have such a warning built into Scratch, even if it is optional or able to be ignored.
ur right but then on the other hand scratch is the only way I relax an ive been doing it for more than 7 months now so if you don't mind im gonna go to bed and turn on my phone to go browse scratch

hi im purowl/selaila
im not normal XD (help)
im goth and tomboy
I like black and red (hehe)
hehe I told you im not normal
I get called a pshyco cuz I am lol
roblox
LydzWinry
Scratcher
1000+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

Pros:
-Looks cool

Cons:

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

Confusing users wasn't the only reason for rejection. It was also something to do with the servers storing names.

Highlight part of my siggy and ctrl+shift+down to see more of it!
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
-C.S. Lewis
I'm on the cusp of Virgo and Libra and I'm a serious gamer. All hail the almighty snail.
Why Scratch is a social media platform: For context, the topic was a suggestion for better message filtering.
I run The Amethyst Shop 2.0 and ~The Rose Shop!~. NOTICE: THEY ARE BEING MERGED. ONCE THE MERGING HAS OCCURED, THE MERGED SHOP WILL BE ADVERTISED HERE.
AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

purpleowlcatdog wrote:

AHypnoman wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

ur right but then on the other hand scratch is the only way I relax an ive been doing it for more than 7 months now so if you don't mind im gonna go to bed and turn on my phone to go browse scratch
Which bit are you quoting?

Last edited by AHypnoman (Nov. 2, 2020 17:15:58)

#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

By saying that you essentially believe the pros outweigh the cons — so you support changing usernames? You forgot that Scratch servers would have a lot of trouble handling username changes.

SSB20 wrote:

—How is that a con? Maybe some people's eyes aren't as iron-tough as yours
—That's none o yo beez-wax, brudda. People can stay up as late as they want, and as

Za-Chary wrote:

The ST seems that they would rather stay out of people's screen-time habits.

AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Pros:

Cons:
-Confuses users

By saying that you essentially believe the pros outweigh the cons — so you support changing usernames? You forgot that Scratch servers would have a lot of trouble handling username changes.

SSB20 wrote:

—That's none o yo beez-wax, brudda. People can stay up as late as they want, and as

Za-Chary wrote:

The ST seems that they would rather stay out of people's screen-time habits.
Exactly.

#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

JPOWERPUFFGIRLS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

SSB20 wrote:

Because that's the main reason, and you shouldn't be on so long that you're eyes would hurt

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Yeah, who cares about other people's health.

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well, does that somehow invalidate the idea of a dark theme?

Basic88
Scratcher
1000+ posts

For people who are saying “that encourages my child to do more screen time”: Even in the day staring at a white screen pains your eyes. Just install some parental control thingy.

I have moved to @BrowserExtension
Uninite
Scratcher
15 posts

Yeah it should be in dark mode I am tired of using scratch at night and just a big giant light from my laptop BEAMING out of my laptop lol
gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(offtopic)Bad memories coming back of 4th and 5th grade.. (/offtopic)

Last edited by gosoccerboy5 (Nov. 3, 2020 02:41:18)

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

I have been active on this topic for quite a while, and I'm not sure whether I have posted a support message here before. Anyways, if not, here it is:

I would like a dark theme as my eyes hurt when I've just gone from using dark theme on every other website to Scratch, a website with an extraordinarily bright colour pallet. I always have to turn my brightness down significantly from what I like when using Scratch.

Edit: Post 999 haha
Congrats of 999 posts!

Last edited by OshimaMalaysian (Nov. 3, 2020 06:53:29)

AHypnoman
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OshimaMalaysian wrote:

AHypnoman wrote:

I have been active on this topic for quite a while, and I'm not sure whether I have posted a support message here before. Anyways, if not, here it is:

I would like a dark theme as my eyes hurt when I've just gone from using dark theme on every other website to Scratch, a website with an extraordinarily bright colour pallet. I always have to turn my brightness down significantly from what I like when using Scratch.

Congrats of 999 posts!
Not what I meant, and can we please try and stay on-topic. We don’t want it to be closed again.

Last edited by AHypnoman (Nov. 3, 2020 07:31:34)

#TrendyHashtag
Gib internneeet

Play Retorquebit!

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

AHypnoman wrote:

OshimaMalaysian wrote:

AHypnoman wrote:

Congrats of 999 posts!
Not what I meant, and can we please try and stay on-topic. We don’t want it to be closed again.
okay- ok