Discuss Scratch

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

make a scratch editor dark theme

I think I know what happened, they used Scratch for image hosting by making a project (which is what I do) and they forgot about this mockup and made a mockup for some other forum topic (using the same project). Now you're seeing the mockup for the other topic.

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

64lu wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

lapisi wrote:

mitdk wrote:

Here is a mockup i created:
I don't see how this relates to scratch editor dark theme
I think they posted it on the wrong topic and meant to post on the bump button topic
wait, but that image was a dark mode mockup a minute ago
He changed the mockup, it changes too at my quote post
Edit: ok now

Last edited by OshimaMalaysian (Oct. 29, 2020 03:27:00)

mitdk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OshimaMalaysian wrote:

64lu wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

lapisi wrote:

mitdk wrote:

I think they posted it on the wrong topic and meant to post on the bump button topic
wait, but that image was a dark mode mockup a minute ago
Whoops my bad. *sigh* This is what happens if you don't have a good host

Last edited by mitdk (Oct. 28, 2020 17:43:15)

mitdk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

lapisi wrote:

mitdk wrote:

I am so very sorry for forgetting and all the misunderstandings it had caused. Here is dark mode again.

NOTE: I have deleted my mockup for the other topic.

Last edited by mitdk (Oct. 28, 2020 23:48:17)

mitdk
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

I think I know what happened, they used Scratch for image hosting by making a project (which is what I do) and they forgot about this mockup and made a mockup for some other forum topic (using the same project). Now you're seeing the mockup for the other topic.
yep…
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have posted on here before giving my say – but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I think these second thoughts could greatly benefit the topic. Let's look into it, shall we?

If you look back at my previous post on here, or even not, I had thought highly of the suggestion at the time. I still do. Dark mode would be awesome. It looks really cool, and it would be fun to experiment with.

Now, if I'm still saying I like dark mode, you may be wondering, “Why did you make this post?” Well, that's where I think this suggestion begins to break down. Let's take a good look into it, shall we?

I've looked at some of the previous posts on here. They all seem to generally be saying the exact same thing. Don't get me wrong on what I am about to say. Dark mode is cool. However, it only seems like users are supporting for:

Gobblesmack wrote:

Support. It would be useful at night.

The4thPixel wrote:

I like this, it would be easier if editing a project at night.

LionHeart70 wrote:

I support since looking at a bright screen for a while (especially at night) can hurt my eyes.

-PixelByte- wrote:

Maybe the brightness could adjust itself according to the current time of where you are; so if it's like 4AM (still dark), the editor would be dark but slowly brighten as time goes on and the sun rises…

TheAdriCoolManDude wrote:

Support, for people that work with dark.

nuclear_news wrote:

Support!
Perfect for users who live in the dark.

WFS_Ultra wrote:

Full Support, my eyes hurt xD

leahcimto wrote:

Support! This would be helpful at night and I think you should be able to change it to night mode any where on the scratch website.
hi from 2 years in the future

That's just the first page. I'm not quoting all 48 pages. However, I do believe you get the point by now. If you don't, please let me know. However, I have one legitimate, concerning question for you: You're only supporting this because it hurts your eyes when you're up all night on Scratch?

One more question, but note that it is a rhetorical question: How would your parents feel if they knew you've been staying up all night so often that Scratch hurts your eyes?

This indeed is…

…but why are you “living in the dark”? Why sabotage your sleep schedule when it can be done in the day? This is a major concern, even if you don't realize it.

Now, I still do like dark mode. Don't confuse this post for something that it's not. However, there is something about all of the responses that all of you users have given about….

if it's like 4AM (still dark), the editor would be dark

….then that is a major health concern. I suggest that you get more sleep if you can. It helps you to focus academically, mentally, and in general. The only reasoning you've given so far is so you can make Scratch projects when everyone else is asleep, which is probably why they didn't implement this sooner.

Yet again, please do not misunderstand me. Dark mode would be a cool new look to Scratch. I like equipping apps with dark mode because it looks amazing. I would love dark mode…. but I have some major concerns on how it would be used.

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

(long quote removed)
Edit: I support for dark mode because it can strain my eyes when not turning to dark mode and dark mode was cool like I–
sorry no other reason
sorry for that long quote, it might can't post

Last edited by OshimaMalaysian (Oct. 29, 2020 06:07:06)

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OshimaMalaysian wrote:

(long quote removed)
True that, I support for dark mode
sorry for that long quote, it might can't post

Okay, but please state why you support. The Suggestions forum is not a wishing fountain, ballot box, genie in a bottle, or anything else. The Scratch Team looks into the ideas and makes a decision from there.

OshimaMalaysian
Scratcher
100+ posts

Edit: nevermind

Last edited by OshimaMalaysian (Oct. 29, 2020 06:14:51)

andyman11
Scratcher
100+ posts

-snippy lippy-
I support just because it looks nice, I actually have dark-mode on using a certain extension.

Hi, I'm @andyman11

I used to use scratch, I don't much anymore.
Please no scratchblocks spam. Except scratch-blocks spam – test the limits of the editor but don't spam the forums.
© Copyright nobody, feel free to steal this style of description for your own.

gosoccerboy5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-snip-
Some people will stay up really late, yes, but what if you're staying up until 9:30? That's not deathly late. Also, I'm sure some others support for other reasons, such as it looks pretty dang cool. Also, what does it matter to you that we stay up late?

lapisi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

lapisi wrote:

mitdk wrote:

wait now it is related to scratch editor dark theme

EDIT: wait now I see what's going on, they used cdn2.scratch.mit.edu, that will change the image if the project thumbnail is changed

Last edited by lapisi (Oct. 29, 2020 15:31:57)

don't forget

why are humans so meaty?
JPOWERPUFFGIRLS
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

-snip-
Some people will stay up really late, yes, but what if you're staying up until 9:30? That's not deathly late.
Yeah, up till 9:30, you don't have homework to finish, or a movie to watch, yes coding or socializing on the internet is what you should be doing at 9:30, when your brain needs a bit of rest
Anyway, you're eyes wouldn't hurt by 9:30

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Also, I'm sure some others support for other reasons
Yeah, no That's not deathly late. such as it looks pretty dang cool. Why does it need to look cool? Just turn down your devices brightness, or turn on your devices night light if it has one

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Also, what does it matter to you that we stay up late?
Read this article and find out

Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Some people will stay up really late, yes, but what if you're staying up until 9:30? That's not deathly late.

True…but I'm more concerned about some posters who keep saying things like “bruh my eyes hurt when I use scratch all night I've been staring at the screen for six hours”. Dark mode or not, that's not very healthy, and is likely why the Scratch Team didn't implement it sooner.

Also, I'm sure some others support for other reasons, such as it looks pretty dang cool.

I agree with that. I said that multiple times. However, I'm concerned about the well-being of others, too.

I'm not the only one. Parents, teachers, and even some moderators have had this same concern, which inspired me into making the post in the first place.

m3wiscool
Scratcher
100+ posts

YES! Just a simple toggle will do!
LydzWinry
Scratcher
1000+ posts

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

True…but I'm more concerned about some posters who keep saying things like “bruh my eyes hurt when I use scratch all night I've been staring at the screen for six hours”. Dark mode or not, that's not very healthy, and is likely why the Scratch Team didn't implement it sooner.

Also, I'm sure some others support for other reasons, such as it looks pretty dang cool.

I agree with that. I said that multiple times. However, I'm concerned about the well-being of others, too.

I'm not the only one. Parents, teachers, and even some moderators have had this same concern, which inspired me into making the post in the first place.
Some people just prefer the look of dark modes. Also, depending on the distance from the equator and time of year, there's less daylight hours. Also also, totally not speaking from experience /s, some people just have crappy circadian rhythms. (teenage hormones suck, tho im trying to get better)

Last edited by LydzWinry (Oct. 29, 2020 22:43:28)

Highlight part of my siggy and ctrl+shift+down to see more of it!
Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
-C.S. Lewis
I'm on the cusp of Virgo and Libra and I'm a serious gamer. All hail the almighty snail.
Why Scratch is a social media platform: For context, the topic was a suggestion for better message filtering.
I run The Amethyst Shop 2.0 and ~The Rose Shop!~. NOTICE: THEY ARE BEING MERGED. ONCE THE MERGING HAS OCCURED, THE MERGED SHOP WILL BE ADVERTISED HERE.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LydzWinry wrote:

Some people just prefer the look of dark modes. Also, depending on the distance from the equator and time of year, there's less daylight hours. Also also, totally not speaking from experience /s, some people just have crappy circadian rhythms. (teenage hormones suck, tho im trying to get better)

As I've said before, dark mode would be amazing, but I personally think the only reason it's not is because the majority of the argument is, “support because the scratch editor hurts my eyes when I'm coding at 3am and I've been looking at the screen for 6 hours straight”. Dark mode looks awesome. Truth be told, I'd use it all the time…but dude, that's not healthy.

mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LydzWinry wrote:

As I've said before, dark mode would be amazing, but I personally think the only reason it's not is because the majority of the argument is, “support because the scratch editor hurts my eyes when I'm coding at 3am and I've been looking at the screen for 6 hours straight”. Dark mode looks awesome. Truth be told, I'd use it all the time…but dude, that's not healthy.
That's not the only reason though- I have it enabled for almost every site that allows it, and I'm used to it now so it's annoying to have it off on scratch

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

That's not the only reason though- I have it enabled for almost every site that allows it, and I'm used to it now so it's annoying to have it off on scratch

Yet again, I like it too, however, it seems like the most popular reason as per why people are supporting it. This does not mean that this is the only reason. Looking through the pages, it seems like the most popular reason.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

…but why are you “living in the dark”? Why sabotage your sleep schedule when it can be done in the day? This is a major concern, even if you don't realize it.
At 26 N where Miami is, the sun sets before 6 PM in late December and early January. At 43 N where I live, the sun sets before 5 PM. At 61 N where Anchorage is, the sun sets before 4 PM. And if you're one of the poor sods who live above 70 N, the suns sets before 2 PM at that time of year. Dark does not necessarily mean night time.

Last edited by fdreerf (Oct. 29, 2020 23:11:56)

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0