Discuss Scratch

DonutsLikesNyanCat
Scratcher
100+ posts

make a scratch editor dark theme

sonic__fan wrote:

TheEpikGamer211 wrote:

yall are saying this is for the entire site, although the title clearly says "make a catch editor dark theme"
If it was added to the editor, I don't think it'd be hard to add it to the rest of the site, and it'd make little sense for a dark mode to be trapped to the editor.
I agree,
im guessing it wasn't that hard for scratch to change the purple banner but it may be different for dark mode since it'll most likely be in settings
BUT HOPEFULLY it'll all work out
dinonugget-
Scratcher
100+ posts

sonic__fan wrote:

TheEpikGamer211 wrote:

yall are saying this is for the entire site, although the title clearly says "make a catch editor dark theme"
If it was added to the editor, I don't think it'd be hard to add it to the rest of the site, and it'd make little sense for a dark mode to be trapped to the editor.
It’s where many Scratchers (not me) spend most of their time.

Proscpmememaker
Scratcher
11 posts

This would be very helpful and the best!!!!

@Proscpmememaker
Bestdragon234
Scratcher
100+ posts

make it so the header turns white when you enable dark mode, purple does not align properly with dark theme

I CAN TURN AN EVIL KUMQUAT INTO DUST WHICH DISAPPEARS IN UNDER 1 YOCTOSECOND, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE MY LIGHTNING EYES POWER AND MY ATOM DESTROYER!! and also that fire breathing power of course
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bestdragon234 wrote:

make it so the header turns white when you enable dark mode, purple does not align properly with dark theme
But white is hurtful to the eyes; people who would switch to dark mode might want a break from the white.

Please note that I may sometimes make a mistake and give wrong information.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

(Highlight text + down arrow + shift to see the rest of my signature.)

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l JOIN WORLD DOMINATION INC. TODAY! l Donate your soul! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

<0-0::sensing>//This is Charles; he protects my signature from evil kumquats.
when I'm spawned::events hat//This is the code Charles' brain runs on.
forever
if <[100] > (distance to [an evil kumquat v])> then
delete the evil kumquat::control
end
end

Be moist.

LP372
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

Bestdragon234 wrote:

But white is hurtful to the eyes; people who would switch to dark mode might want a break from the white.
in that case, how about a retro green?

Projects I want people to see:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1018171720
DonutsLikesNyanCat
Scratcher
100+ posts

LP372 wrote:

EDawg2011 wrote:

Bestdragon234 wrote:

what about a darker kind of gray?
EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DonutsLikesNyanCat wrote:

LP372 wrote:

(snip)
what about a darker kind of gray?
Not enough color contrast.

@jvvg wrote:

Scratch is based in the United States, which is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). One requirement is that sites be accessible to users using assistive technologies (screen readers and similar things), low-vision, and colorblind users. I'm not going to pretend I know all the details, but if the colors don't contrast enough or would otherwise be hard for a colorblind or low-vision person to use, the site is out of compliance. If that's the case, then an affected user can sue the Scratch Team and would have a good chance of winning. I have seen plenty of real-world ADA-related lawsuits for websites, this isn't just a hypothetical risk, it's real.
source

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l JOIN WORLD DOMINATION INC. TODAY! l Donate your soul! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

forever
end
end

Be moist.

Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

im guessing it wasn't that hard for scratch to change the purple banner but it may be different for dark mode since it'll most likely be in settings
It only took six months…

No longer using the forums unless necessary.

Really, stop with the “support/no support” thing. I don't care if you give a reason. If you have a reason you don't need to add this to your post in the first place. Stop acting like your opinion makes a difference. It doesn't. Opinions were never the point. The point is whether or not it's a good suggestion. If you can give a good reason at why this is a good idea or point out a flaw, do it, but don't take sides.
This is not sarcasm.
doggy_boi1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elijah999999 wrote:

It only took six months…
It did? 6 months is a heck of a long time just for a color swap. how are they supposed to make additions to the site moving forward if the site is that hard to add on to?

i hate my username
Chickens are the superior animal!

(⌐⎔_⎔)//This is Jack, he's been fighting these evil kumquats since early 2023!

(((( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́) ( •̀ᴗ•́))))
dumorando
Scratcher
46 posts

scratch has a dark theme in its files, i tried it, and it only works for the editor. its still being worked on.

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

dumorando wrote:

scratch has a dark theme in its files, i tried it, and it only works for the editor. its still being worked on.
Any proof that it exists?

forever
end
end

Be moist.

DangerPuppy10
Scratcher
500+ posts

dumorando wrote:

screenshot it.

I shall

Workaround chart:

Bestdragon234
Scratcher
100+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

Bestdragon234 wrote:

oh ok, then make it just a lil darker shade of white

I CAN TURN AN EVIL KUMQUAT INTO DUST WHICH DISAPPEARS IN UNDER 1 YOCTOSECOND, DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE MY LIGHTNING EYES POWER AND MY ATOM DESTROYER!! and also that fire breathing power of course
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Bringing this topic up.

:D: 2.0 is 11 years old https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1018259409/
Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
DangerPuppy10
Scratcher
500+ posts

Other than the color of the header, what more is there to discuss on this suggestion?

I mean, this is helpful to people. Everybody likes it, all we need is the theme when it becomes dark mode. But what else?

I shall

Workaround chart:

sonic__fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DangerPuppy10 wrote:

Other than the color of the header, what more is there to discuss on this suggestion?

I mean, this is helpful to people. Everybody likes it, all we need is the theme when it becomes dark mode. But what else?
For right now, not much. However, I'm sure that this topic can be revamped into a bug-reporting topic for when dark mode goes into a beta phase.

This is my signature. It is not a part of this post and it appears under every post I make.
Sonic Says
Every world has its end. I know that's kinda sad, but, that's why we have to live life to the fullest in the time we have. At least… that's what I figure.
Hey there, I'm sonic__fan. I just look for good suggestions to add to Scratch.
TECHNOBLADE NEVER DIES
DangerPuppy10
Scratcher
500+ posts

sonic__fan wrote:

DangerPuppy10 wrote:

For right now, not much. However, I'm sure that this topic can be revamped into a bug-reporting topic for when dark mode goes into a beta phase.
That seems like a good idea, maybe an archive? Like that, bridge cloud variable suggestion thing.

I shall

Workaround chart:

DangerPuppy10
Scratcher
500+ posts

“They can literally get sued
——————————————————-
See also: US Government page on web accessibility
Scratch is based in the United States, which is subject to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). One requirement is that sites be accessible to users using assistive technologies (screen readers and similar things), low-vision, and colorblind users. I'm not going to pretend I know all the details, but if the colors don't contrast enough or would otherwise be hard for a colorblind or low-vision person to use, the site is out of compliance. If that's the case, then an affected user can sue the Scratch Team and would have a good chance of winning. I have seen plenty of real-world ADA-related lawsuits for websites, this isn't just a hypothetical risk, it's real.

I should also note that multiple people have told me that Scratch isn't a business and therefore wouldn't be subject to these rules. That is incorrect. For the purposes of ADA, ”business“ doesn't just mean ”for-profit corporation,“ it also includes nonprofits. Additionally, Scratch is ”open to the public“ (for ADA purposes anyway) since they offer a service that members of the public can use.”

This may not apply for dark mode. Just wanted to bring this up.

Last edited by DangerPuppy10 (April 4, 2024 18:51:29)

I shall

Workaround chart:

sonic__fan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DangerPuppy10 wrote:

Jvvg wrote:

They can literally get sued

I should also note that multiple people have told me that Scratch isn't a business and therefore wouldn't be subject to these rules. That is incorrect. For the purposes of ADA, “business” doesn't just mean “for-profit corporation,” it also includes nonprofits. Additionally, Scratch is “open to the public” (for ADA purposes anyway) since they offer a service that members of the public can use.
This may not apply for dark mode. Just wanted to bring this up.
This applies for dark mode. For some people, it's hard to see bright lights.

This is my signature. It is not a part of this post and it appears under every post I make.
Sonic Says
Every world has its end. I know that's kinda sad, but, that's why we have to live life to the fullest in the time we have. At least… that's what I figure.
Hey there, I'm sonic__fan. I just look for good suggestions to add to Scratch.
TECHNOBLADE NEVER DIES