Discuss Scratch

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson & Co's College of Collaboration [Student]

k9lego wrote:

A while back I signed up for the customer service course. Are you still doing it?

Yes but, unfortunately, there are very few students.

ProfessorMarshmallow
Scratcher
500+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

k9lego wrote:

A while back I signed up for the customer service course. Are you still doing it?

Would it be okay if I did customer service?

Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProfessorMarshmallow wrote:

Crimson19 wrote:

k9lego wrote:

Aren't you doing Standard Writing? If so, you must complete the course as you cannot do two at once.

To all writing students:
If your assignment isn't in by tomorrow, you'll have to complete in your own time in order to graduate. The next assignment is coming out tomorrow.

ProfessorMarshmallow
Scratcher
500+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Crimson19 wrote:

k9lego wrote:

Aren't you doing Standard Writing? If so, you must complete the course as you cannot do two at once.

To all writing students:
If your assignment isn't in by tomorrow, you'll have to complete in your own time in order to graduate. The next assignment is coming out tomorrow.
The only other course I'm doing is Standard Art, but there is no tutor right now.

Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I am afraid that I will be largely inactive for the next three months due to upcoming exams. I might still check from time to time but it is unlikely that I'll be able to post much. I'll post the certificated for the most recent students and I'll find time to post the next few Advanced Management assignments. Otherwise, Standard Management has temporarily been closed.
sonicfan12p
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sonicfan12p wrote:

(insert leader's name here), I have devised this system for us to deal with inactivity. I think we should update our members list on the 1st post to show who is active, and who is not, along with when those who are not active will be coming back. To help facilitate this, I suggest that we use this form, or one like it.
Due Notice of Leave:

When you will be back:
Other:
This should be all the information we need. Anyone can take a break at anytime, and their current task will simply be delegated to someone else. If someone hasn't completed their task, or at least mentioned that they were making progress with it a week after it was assigned, then we will comment on their profile and ask for a status update. If we don't get a response within 3 days of that request, then we will mark them as inactive, and delegate their task to someone else. If there is no one that we can delegate the tasks to in either of those cases, then we can either attempt to hire more members of the same profession, or put in an order at a reputable shop, whichever best fits the situation.

Let me know what you think of this suggestion, and if you can think of any improvements.

There we go. If that's acceptable, I'd like to move on to Advanced whenever you start it back up again.

Comeback time? Maybe?
Quirky_Coders
Scratcher
100+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Crimson19 wrote:

k9lego wrote:

To all writing students:
Mine was about 10 pages ago - should I bump it up?

By Rainbow_Waves
MathlyCat
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Is the custom blocks lesson still up? It's been quite a while

Think before you act.
Actions speek louder than words.

hi there fella
-Writer-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

To all writing students:
Okay,

STORIES I The Paper Plane I Bananas I Winter ~ Part One I Winter ~ Part Two I Winter ~ Part Three
(\__/) “The world is a weird place.” -Sigton “MY CAPS BROKE” -Sigton
(='.'= ) “Why did you name your guitar Kyle? I thought that was my nickname!” ZLGames
(“)_(”) “My real name isn't Kyle. It's just what half of Scratch calls me now.” ZLGames | “Bitmap is easy. You just make something in vector then click ‘Convert to Bitmap’ ” - ZLGames (Kyle) | “If you think my jokes are too cheesy, you might be… LAUGHTOSE INTOLERANT!” - BlockWave's signature | “I WUV SPOODERS” - Ducky (Kyle) 1987 | “Someone is talking in your laptop, you should have it checked.” -My mom
MicroWolf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Co49 wrote:

I am afraid that I will be largely inactive for the next three months due to upcoming exams. I might still check from time to time but it is unlikely that I'll be able to post much. I'll post the certificated for the most recent students and I'll find time to post the next few Advanced Management assignments. Otherwise, Standard Management has temporarily been closed.
If you find it easier, I can just do the Class I stuff.

Under Reconstruction
Co49
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@sonicfan12p
Congratulations, you passed standard management?

@sonicfan12p and MicroWolf
Here is a comprehensive list of current assignments and lessons. Two more lessons will be published, one more task and another overall recap test. Then the two big projects begin! As with all advanced management assignments, there are no deadlines as they can take a long time.

Overview

Advanced Management - Lesson One - Hierarchy Types
Advanced Management - Lesson Two - Roles
Advanced Management - Lesson Three - Planning and Life Cycle

Advanced Management - Task One - Hierarchy Essay
No corresponding task to lesson two
Advanced Management - SDLC Assignment

Each task corresponds to a lesson and are heavily based on the lesson. Take your time.

-Co49
CocoaLove
Scratcher
500+ posts

Crimson19 wrote:

Got it :3

-*CocoaLove's Land of Stories*- “The world is a weird place”-Sigton

MicroWolf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Last edited by MicroWolf (April 24, 2016 13:58:06)

Under Reconstruction
CrazyGoldfish3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MathlyCat wrote:

Is the custom blocks lesson still up? It's been quite a while

Only one person has completed it fully.
MicroWolf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Advanced Management: Tasks

Co49 wrote:

Please write a 260 word essay on the pros and cons of the flat and tall structures. You can include examples from my lesson but for each point, you must explain why this is good or bad for the collaboration or organisation. (essay must be 260 words or more.)

For example:
Flat Pro: There is more of a sense of creativity and sharing
Creativity - Projects and ideas are more original and members can be a part of the idea process.
Sharing - There is more cooperation within the organisation, which speeds up progress and boosts morale.

Please remember to set it out like an essay and write in your own words. Separate from the essay, please include a link to a collaboration with a tall structure and a collaboration with a flat structure. Because all the assignments in advanced management are quite lengthy, there are no deadlines, just take your time and do a little bit when you can.

Any questions? Just ask!

-Co49
Okay, finally got to this…
Hehe, time to copy and paste my business homework… ;) Kidding. But seriously. Oh that contradiction

Tall and Flat Structures

In a business collaboration, the internal organization and hierarchy can be categorized into one of two structures – tall and narrow, or flat and wide. Factors such as leadership style, collaboration size, and collaboration type should all be taken into account when developing the hierarchical structure, as each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Tall and narrow hierarchies are where there are many different ranks, and fewer workers in each rank. The chain of command is clear, and the collaboration benefits from possibilities for delegation. Delegation in itself is a principle that allows managers to reduce their own workload, allows workers to be given more responsibility, and allows managers to work closer with each individual member of their team. Overall, advantages of tall structures revolve around ease of management, control and supervision. In addition, workers are better motivated due to opportunities for promotion. However, tall hierarchies are disadvantaged through difficult, long and inconvenient communication, as messages must be passed up and down past every level of the organization. Ultimately, tall and narrow hierarchies are best suited towards large-scale project or shop collaborations.

On the other hand, flat and wide hierarchies involve few ranks, with few managers and many workers. The greatest advantage is the ease of communication between managers and workers, as there are fewer intermediaries. This allows workers to feel more involved in decision-making processes, in turn leading to greater motivation and thus productivity. This also allows for flexibility, which is especially disadvantageous to tall and narrow hierarchies where a segment of the structure may be disabled when a manager is inactive, busy or otherwise unable to work. However, disadvantages of flat structures include difficulty of organization and management, as managers have to deal with a larger span of control. In addition, few workers would ever obtain promotion, and may therefore not work as hard. Flat and wide hierarchies work better with democratic leadership styles, in smaller-scale collaborations and roleplaying collaborations.

Word Count: 320. Sorry, then again most of it was from Business.

Example of tall structure: Joy's Quest
Example of flat structure: Board Games Collaboration

Anyway… moving on.

Co49 wrote:

Advanced Management - SDLC Assignment Part One
Gap Fill
Alpha testing is a form of internal (?) testing carried out by the developers while beta testing is a form of external testing carried out by users independent of the developing team.

Users independent of the developing team, internal, developers, external
0.0 There's a word bank!? Time to go change my answers.

Specification Requirements >> Design >> Implementation (aka Development) >> Testing >> Evolution (maintenance)

Selecting the right SDLC
Below are some examples of collaborations and the project that they have chosen with a little information about them. You must choose a SDLC from the list below and give a justification of why it suits their project and collaboration.

Example: “I would select a Waterfall Model because their project is very short term and the requirements are known and unlikely to change a great deal.”

Options (Each SDLC matches to a scenario)
-Waterfall Model
-Cyclical Model
-Spiral Model
-Big Bang Model
-Incremental Model

1. Two friends working on a very small project, a simple jumping platform game.
Big Bang! As a small project, it is short term, and with only two people very little administration/organization is required.
2. A medium sized collaboration working on a platform fighter game. It is short term and a sequel to another game so the collaboration knows exactly what they are doing.
Waterfall model, as they already know the process with which to make the project, and there is no need to redevelop sections.
3. A medium sized collaboration working on a fairly large OS system but the requirements are a bit vague as they want to add content as they come up with it. It is a short term project.
Spiral, because they want to add content repeatedly. However, as a short term project, the project would eventually be terminated – so only a few repeats of a specific section should occur.
4. A large sized collaboration working on a large OS system but the requirements may change and are vague. It is a long term project.
Cyclical, because there are little/vague requirements. This means that they would repeatedly return to old phases to modify or change certain sections, and as a long term project this may happen endlessly without termination.
5. A collaboration is working on a project that requires flexibility. The manager wants to produce code quickly which must be easily tested. It must be easy to manage and it is very short term, it must be developed very quickly.
Incremental model, as this allows different sections to be developed at once quickly and easily.

Categories
Please place these actions in to the following categories:
1. Requirement Specification i
2. Design a, b, e, j, m
3. Implementation d, f
4. Testing c, g
5. Evolution h, k, l

a. Creating concept art for a game
b. Drafting the control setup
c. Releasing the game to a beta group
d. Integrating all the separate pieces of code together
e. Creating an overview flowchart of the project
f. Writing a unit of the code
g. Making a test sheet
h. Adding to the code based on feedback
i. Deciding briefly, what the project should do
j. Planning a high concept
k. Adding in extra features after release
l. Fixing bugs that beta testers’ found
m. Planning a low concept

Answers added in red.

Under Reconstruction
f_deruvo
Scratcher
100+ posts

After some days in a collaboration , it is very interesting (and exciting too, as much more can be done)…
I wish to give my two cents (hoping to follow this course in future), I hope this help..

Answer
>> pros and cons of the flat and tall structures
What is affected (for me) is communication … not easy to find what best fit for the collaboration and the member involved
Communication is a big subject for a succesful collaboration as many personality are involved with different motivations.
(sorry for my english)

>Tall pro:
this make many small groups, this may be a pro as they have a reference tutor or specific task and skill. May be they works very well in that group or they can meet face to face.
>Tall cons: if changes occur (in design) I guess it will be longer than in “flat” organization having more ranks they works separately
Second, be careful with competition AS comunication is less, could be individual or group competition will arise (not always bad but often)

> Flat pros:
brainstorming is better when all members wish to say their opinion. Anyway decision will
come from chief members. Global comunication would be easier than with small groups.
> Flat cons:
Individual members receive less attention on the progress and needs. This may cause a slow down in long term progress (if comunication does'n work in both direction).

May be a skilled group would work better in a flat org. while
a less skilled group need tutoring would work better in tall org.
or need a previos training period and test.
That's all.

Advanced Management: Tasks

Co49 wrote:

Please write a 260 word essay on the pros and cons of the flat and tall structures. You can include examples from my lesson but for each point, you must explain why this is good or bad for the collaboration or organisation. (essay must be 260 words or more.)

For example:
Flat Pro: There is more of a sense of creativity and sharing
Creativity - Projects and ideas are more original and members can be a part of the idea process.
Sharing - There is more cooperation within the organisation, which speeds up progress and boosts morale.

Please remember to set it out like an essay and write in your own words. Separate from the essay, please include a link to a collaboration with a tall structure and a collaboration with a flat structure. Because all the assignments in advanced management are quite lengthy, there are no deadlines, just take your time and do a little bit when you can.

Any questions? Just ask!

-Co49

Last edited by f_deruvo (March 26, 2016 19:49:37)

Adv: Guess-who (game) - Marrakech (game) - Info-map (tool)
Crimson19
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Standard Writing - Lesson 2

I'm really struggling to find the time to write this so I'll keep it short, sweet and simple. Today's lesson is about sentence structure. For this lesson, you'll need three different types of sentences.

Simple/Basic Sentence
E.g: “Joe went to the park”.

This sentence type uses one meaningful clause to convey meaning. It may seem boring and useless at first but there is a variety of uses for it. For example, building tension in story writing. In that context, short sentences with little to no detail really help leave the reader in mystery and discomfort (which is what you should be aiming for) and building up the pace of your writing to build tension that way. Be sure to not use this sentence type in any area in your writing where you're attempting to provide as much information as possible.

Complex Sentence
E.g: “Joe went to the park and saw a dog”.

This sentence type uses one meaningful clause and another clause that this time cannot convey a solid meaning without being reliant on its parent clause contributing to its namesake in this lesson; the reliant clause. This is the most common sentence type out of all three mentioned today due to the fact that it conveys quite a bit more meaning than the basic sentence by adding another clause with information. The meaningful clause and the reliant clause are usually separated by punctuation or a connective. Most importantly, the difference between it and the next sentence type on our list is the fact that the reliant clause does not make sense on its own. In this case, the reliant clause is “saw a dog” and it does not make sense on its own because it does not have a nominative subject.

Compound Sentence
E.g: “Joe went to the park and the park was filled with dogs.

This sentence type combines two meaningful clauses and connects them with a connective or a few select punctuation marks such as the semi-colon (. This sentence type is great for when you want to add some diversity to your sentence without starting a brand new one and find that the restrictive boundaries of a complex sentence stop you from using that type. The difference between this sentence type and a complex sentence is that this sentence uses two clauses that can exist on their own as ”the park was filled with dogs" makes perfect sense on its own as it has a clear subject, object, and relation between them.

Your Task

1. Find a basic, a complex and a compound sentence from any piece of text you want to use.
2. Explain why each one is basic, complex or compound by highlighted its clauses, identifying its subject and object etc.
3. Change each one to be in a different sentence type e.g a basic could be changed to a compound.

Extension

1. Make three completely unrelated sentences using each sentence type. etc “the dog went to the park”, “the alien dropped his burger” and “the cake turned into a rock”. Clearly state them before stage 2.
2. Connect them in a compelling, creative text. It doesn't have to be a story, it can be anything with the exception of a poem (as its sentence structure is extremely different).

Be sure to begin your task with the words “@Crimson Senpai” so I can find all of your assignments with a simple Ctrl+F search.

Last edited by Crimson19 (March 19, 2016 09:13:54)

Quirky_Coders
Scratcher
100+ posts

How's this?
@Crimson Senpai
Text source I used: Utterly Me, Clarice Bean by Lauren Child.
Simple: This is me, Clarice Bean.
Complex: My dad gets mail with private written on it, so for all I know he is a secret agent himself.
Compound: Then Mrs. Wilberton says, “Class, I am announcing the very exciting subject of this year’s parents’ night competition.”
Sorry if that isn’t completely right! I’ll re-do it if need be. 

Sentences I created:
Simple: Jenny built a snowman.
Complex: She picked up the leash and began to lead Bruno out the door.
Compound: Ben laid out his chicken salad, green beans with butter, and celery sticks smeared with peanut butter.

Short Story:
Jenny woke up, wet dog slobber flying everywhere.
“Down, Bruno!” she cried out. The retriever hopped off the bed and ran in circles around her slippers. Smiling, Jenny pushed off the blankets and began to dress herself. She then scrambled down the stairs for breakfast, Bruno following quickly behind. After eating a blueberry pop-tart and gulping down a glass of milk, she picked up the leash and began to lead Bruno out the door.
Once outside, the retriever took off running. He nearly knocked over their neighbor, Mr. Davenport, and knocked over at least 5 trash cans!
“Bruno! NO! Come back here!” Jenny yelled after him. Still holding onto the leash, she was pulled across the icy sidewalk at high speed. “BRUNO!” she shrieked as she nearly missed a tree.
After calming him down with a huge supply of treats and a scratch behind the ear, they began walking back to the house. Jenny looked at her watch, and was shocked at how much time had passed! It was already 10:00!
When they got back to the house, Jenny scurried up the stairs to shower before her mom noticed she was covered in grass stains and dirt. After she re-dressed, Jenny flopped down on her bed to take a nap. Soon her mom was calling her for lunch. ‘Already?’, she thought.
Her older brother, Ben, was already at the table. Set out before him was a huge feast, or what he called ‘Lunch’. Ben laid out his chicken salad, green beans with a mound of butter, and celery sticks smeared with peanut butter. He also grabbed the milk carton off the top shelf and took a huge gulp of it.
“Ben, don’t drink out of the container!” his mom sighed. “Jen, what do you want?”
Jenny automatically just grabbed a roll, lunchmeat, and provolone cheese. She ate the sandwich in four huge bites, and then prepared another. She was starving after chasing Bruno all morning!
In what felt like only a matter of minutes, it was already evening. As Jenny climbed into bed that night, she felt exhausted. She hoped that the next day would go better!

By Rainbow_Waves
kittykat_005
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Crimson, when you put the

"Complex sentence:
Ect. …“

you are saying

”Complex sentence:
And other things: …“

When you really should be using