1000+ posts

Accessibility Option for PFPs and Thumbnails

bump again

yes
Caramels_Secrets
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support! Even though GIFs are fun to use and stuff, I understand now why there is accessibility issues.

Your local Roblox girl.
My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Firefox 120.0, No Flash version detected.

IT'S xD NOT XD!!!
I'm like Barbie 2.0 lol.
Check out my projects & my studios!
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

5_g wrote:

crazy how scratch team will be like “buh BUH buh scwAtch NWEEED 2 b poipule cuz uf the uhh 2 peoPle who took 2 seconDs loNger strAining to reaD a bit off coloRr text bEfore figGuring out how to zoOm in” but allow people who have serious vision disorders to have seizures when looking at a studio thumbnail
no purple is very important

The purple update was super important for accessibility! I also think that the ST should be thinking about other accessibility issues with the site at the moment and taking steps to fix them (especially since they've shown with the purple update that accessibility is something they consider important), hence this topic.

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

undeterminstic wrote:

5_g wrote:

crazy how scratch team will be like “buh BUH buh scwAtch NWEEED 2 b poipule cuz uf the uhh 2 peoPle who took 2 seconDs loNger strAining to reaD a bit off coloRr text bEfore figGuring out how to zoOm in” but allow people who have serious vision disorders to have seizures when looking at a studio thumbnail
no purple is very important

The purple update was super important for accessibility! I also think that the ST should be thinking about other accessibility issues with the site at the moment and taking steps to fix them (especially since they've shown with the purple update that accessibility is something they consider important), hence this topic.
oh wait I forgot the comma, I meant to say “no, purple is very important”

yes
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ASCEND

yes
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

-snip-

Ahhhhh it's a fine day for me to be completely unable to English, I understand now

Thanks for keeping bumping this topic too!

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

106809nes wrote:

Support. This energy saver setting will help slower devices!
You're right, that's another benefit from this suggestion.

Pretty much only use the forums for save codes now.

Here is my Mario Maker (fan game) world code:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/743192/?page=57#post-8009005
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

undeterminstic wrote:

Classic “Let's eat Grandma!” situation XD

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

Since it has been mentioned that the ST might not have the resources to implement this suggestion as originally described, I'm going to clarify that there are three workable solutions, any of which could solve the problem:

1. Animated files are permanently disabled on the Scratch website.
2. Animated files are temporarily disabled, until the ST gets enough funding/time/etc. to implement a toggle system.
3. There is a toggle which allows each user to choose whether they want to see animated files. (original idea) - if a user has the toggle off, they will only see the first frame of the animated file.
1. I don't support this at all. GIF pfps and thumbnails allow more expression, if you know what I mean. If they were permanently gone, it would remove part of Scratch letting you express yourself.
2. I support this slightly more. But I don't like it for the reason I mentioned in #1. Plus, it could take a long time to get enough “funding/time/etc”
3. How is this a solution? I feel like this is just your suggestion, but worded in a more confusing way.
Anyways, HUGE support. Seizures are a serious health risk, and this suggestion would welcome more people with epilepsy to Scratch.

Please note that I may sometimes make a mistake and give wrong information.

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

(Highlight text + down arrow + shift to see the rest of my signature.)

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l JOIN WORLD DOMINATION INC. TODAY! l Donate your soul! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

<0-0::sensing>//This is Charles; he protects my signature from evil kumquats.
when I'm spawned::events hat//This is the code Charles' brain runs on.
forever
if <[100] > (distance to [an evil kumquat v])> then
delete the evil kumquat::control
end
end

Be moist.

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

5_g wrote:

crazy how scratch team will be like “We made Scratch purple because of the minority who struggle to read the text, but it isn't really bad for their health.” but allow people who have serious vision disorders to have seizures when looking at a studio thumbnail
so true no offense

Can you please put this at/near the top of your signature and tell people that tag spam isn't allowed and it manipulates the algorithm, to start a chain and spread the word? - Thanks, @EDawg2011.

But then I had a very good idea. I used F5. See, using F5 gave me a whole new perspective and I was able to see a chest I couldn't have seen before.

Help find out who ate @cheddargirl's signature! l JOIN WORLD DOMINATION INC. TODAY! l Donate your soul! l me when i accidentally spread misinformation l Platformer Skibidi

forever
end
end

Be moist.

Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

5_g wrote:

crazy how scratch team will be like “We made Scratch purple because of the minority who struggle to read the text, but it isn't really bad for their health.” but allow people who have serious vision disorders to have seizures when looking at a studio thumbnail
so true no offense
How can you agree with that, but at the same time be so against the idea of temporarily disabling GIFs? Although I agree that the Scratch community is terrible about handling forced changes, but if Scratch survived the purple, it can survive this too, right?

EDawg2011
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Elijah999999 wrote:

How can you agree with that, but at the same time be so against the idea of temporarily disabling GIFs? Although I agree that the Scratch community is terrible about handling forced changes, but if Scratch survived the purple, it can survive this too, right?
If GIFs aren't animated, you might miss some content from the pfp. For example, if a GIF pfp keeps switching between pitch black and a Scratch Cat every 5 seconds, you would be missing some context. Also, some people use GIFs to express themselves.

forever
end
end

Be moist.

undeterministic
Scratcher
500+ posts

bump

undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDawg2011 wrote:

Elijah999999 wrote:

If GIFs aren't animated, you might miss some content from the pfp. For example, if a GIF pfp keeps switching between pitch black and a Scratch Cat every 5 seconds, you would be missing some context. Also, some people use GIFs to express themselves.
but the temp disable of gifs to add the toggle will be temporary. anyway if your gif requires context it isn't a very good pfp - me 2023

yes
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

rise to the top

yes