Discuss Scratch

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

Accessibility Option for PFPs and Thumbnails

Suggestion summary:
It would greatly improve accessibility of the Scratch website if users are able to prevent .gif files from playing, across the entire site. This should not be a default setting, but it would be really helpful if this was added as an optional accessibility feature, perhaps under “account settings”.

Explanation:
Right now, Scratchers are able to set GIF files as their profile picture, as a project or studio thumbnail, and include a GIF in their forum signature if they choose to do so. Generally, this is great! GIFs are fun and can make a project thumbnail seem more exciting. Profile pictures should support self-expression (within the community guidelines of course) and an animated image might be great for that.

However, GIFs also have a lot of accessibility issues. For Scratchers with sensory issues it can be really hard to focus on text while a gif is playing elsewhere on the page. It can be difficult to read animated text in a GIF picture. At their worst, fast and high-contrast GIFs are a seizure risk. Meanwhile, some people just find them annoying and distracting.

Yes, it is already possible to use third-party sites or extensions to turn off GIFs. But from an all-ages-friendly perspective, I don't think it's fair to expect an 8-year-old to install a chrome extension, or manipulate advanced firefox settings, just to prevent GIFs from playing on the site. Having such a setting in Scratch directly would also mean that the setting remains in place for each user, even if they log in from a different device.

My personal experience:
I currently use a chrome extension to disable animated images on Scratch. But, if I were to use a different device, without the extension installed - if I am reading a comment and the associated Scratcher's profile picture is an animation of a leaf gently falling, that's probably ok for me. A rapidly flashing rainbow dinosaur pfp is not. I think that if someone wants to have the latter GIF as their profile picture because it makes them happy, that's wonderful - but I also think that I should be able to choose not to see it if it poses accessibility concerns for me using the site.

I'd love to hear what you think of this idea! Since the purple-ification of the site was entirely to help mitigate some accessibility issues, I really want to bring the GIF problem to the Scratch Team's attention too.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

Edit:
Since it has been mentioned that the ST might not have the resources to implement this suggestion as originally described, I'm going to clarify that there are three workable solutions, any of which could solve the problem:

1. Animated files are permanently disabled on the Scratch website.
2. Animated files are temporarily disabled, until the ST gets enough funding/time/etc. to implement a toggle system.
3. There is a toggle which allows each user to choose whether they want to see animated files. (original idea) - if a user has the toggle off, they will only see the first frame of the animated file.

If anyone feels strongly about any of these options it would be great to mention it in a reply, as well as why you think it would/wouldn't work.

TL;DR:
GIFs are an accessibility problem for a few reasons, can we please have the option to turn them off.

Last edited by Tris_das_Einhorn (Dec. 5, 2023 01:17:40)

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
Gamer_Logan819
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just ignore the gif. Scratch shouldn't make an entirely new feature for a small group of people who refuse to not look at gifs. I understand the sensory issues, but even then with sensory issues I'm sure a gif isn't like a hypnotizing animation that forces you to look at it until you close the page.

Last edited by Gamer_Logan819 (July 7, 2023 12:17:31)

The forum boogeymen are out to get you

TeenySpoon
Scratcher
500+ posts

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Just ignore the gif. Scratch shouldn't make an entirely new feature for a small group of people who refuse to not look at gifs. I understand the sensory issues, but even then with sensory issues I'm sure a gif isn't like a hypnotizing animation that forces you to look at it until you close the page.
You don't get it; sensory issues are really bad. It's not about them being hypnotizing, they can trigger a person.
Google “sensory processing disorder” and see what I mean.

I also support this suggestion, even if I don't use it, it will help out a lot of people.

Last edited by TeenySpoon (July 7, 2023 12:56:04)

⚜ TeenySpoon ⚜ Alt: TeenyTea
An absent-minded programmer/artist

A Random Pen Window Manager
⚜ Me ⚜ TeenyForkTeenyKnife

“We are pilgrims on the journey
We are travelers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load”
- “The Servant Song”, David Haas
Gamer_Logan819
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TeenySpoon wrote:

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

You don't get it; sensory issues are really bad. It's not about them being hypnotizing, they can trigger a person.

I also support this suggestion, even if I don't use it, it will help out a lot of people.
Trigger a person how?

The forum boogeymen are out to get you

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Trigger a person how?
As indicated by the OP:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

However, GIFs also have a lot of accessibility issues. For Scratchers with sensory issues it can be really hard to focus on text while a gif is playing elsewhere on the page. It can be difficult to read animated text in a GIF picture. At their worst, fast and high-contrast GIFs are a seizure risk. Meanwhile, some people just find them annoying and distracting.

Last edited by Za-Chary (July 7, 2023 13:38:55)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

TeenySpoon wrote:

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Thanks - I think that the number of people who would find this helpful is actually much higher than one might think. Similar to how the recent site changes don't matter to everyone, but they greatly improve the accessibility of the site for a still significant number of users.

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

For further clarification, here are a couple of links which explain in greater detail why GIFs which cannot be paused or hidden are an accessibility issue.

https://accessiblewebsiteservices.com/accessible-content-step-away-from-the-animated-gif/

https://equalizedigital.com/accessibility-checker/image-animated-gif/

-ElectronicArts-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yes this should be in the accessibility update. not all people can handle gifs.

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

(removed)

Last edited by Zydrolic (Nov. 10, 2023 06:02:30)

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi
- I'm back to this account, I guess - notebook

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

This dialouge box has more than one sentence to say!

PaperMarioFan2022
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is a great idea! Support! Scratch Tram should really add this along with the changes in the accessibility update to Scratch!

Hello! Welcome to my signature!

I am a real Mario enthusiast and a fan of the franchise and also getting into the field of IT. I also play Luigi's Mansion and other games too!

Profile | Ocular | ScratchStats | PostPercent | GitHub Main | Snap!

Professional Mario Enthusiast / (NEW!) 3DS FC: 2252-0951-8546 / (NEW!) Switch FC: SW-2091-2478-9614 / (removed - due to concerns in moderation) ARarePaper

I forgor my account password to give an internet ☠

I’ve been a Scratcher since 2021!

My glorious meme section (scroll down to see more)

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

Scratch is nonprofit and runs on donations. How would they create a program to see what part of the GIF is fully with text?
The Scratch Team was able to make a high contrast mode, prevent unshared projects from being viewed via third-party applications, and update the entire editor to Scratch 3.0, all while being nonprofit and running on donations. I don't doubt that they could make the proposed suggestion work.

If the proposed suggestion were implemented, I assume that the GIF would pause on the first frame, so that the first frame of the GIF is what is displayed.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

(#11)

Zydrolic wrote:

Scratch is nonprofit and runs on donations. How would they create a program to see what part of the GIF is fully with text?
The Scratch Team was able to make a high contrast mode, prevent unshared projects from being viewed via third-party applications, and update the entire editor to Scratch 3.0, all while being nonprofit and running on donations. I don't doubt that they could make the proposed suggestion work.

If the proposed suggestion were implemented, I assume that the GIF would pause on the first frame, so that the first frame of the GIF is what is displayed.
Oight then,
you are correct, they did do all that.
It's just I don't feel like this could be done without alota issues (like most things), I'm still supporting and all, was just kind of curious and wanted to point this out.
About the frames part, fair enough.

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

Yep, that's what I was thinking. That is how most browser-based extensions for this sort of thing work. The slightly better ones have a little bit of text in the corner that says the image is a GIF, so that even if I only see a static image, I know that whomever uploaded it intended for it to be seen as moving. If this suggestion were implemented, I'd like to see a feature like that, as it means that if someone posts, say, a meme as a GIF, I know that I might be missing necessary context because I only see a single frame of the animation.

I think it would be really nice if users who have the setting enabled can hover over a GIF to have it play through once (with the caveat that it must stop playing as soon as the mouse is no longer within the frame of the GIF). This still complies with the ADA and WCAG regulations because the user is always in control, a bit like how one can choose to immediately stop a Scratch project by pressing the stop sign. And it would mean that Scratchers could preview GIFs like this one-

Zydrolic wrote:

I'd share a GIF of me completing an UT Fangame(an attack specifically due to limits), how would that be? When would it pause? It contains multiple jokes, will it pause at the start since I include text for the whole thing?.
-one at a time, and decide if it is ok for them individually. But I acknowledge that that particular idea would also be super complicated to implement. As the Scratch Team has said before, functionality and accessibility come before aesthetics.

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

Crispydogs101
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PLEASE give me a TD;LR I have serious trouble reading long passages.

Hey! Look at this DTA!
Hej! My username is @Crispydogs101. I like listening to music, playing games, and more!
Sarah and duck, Pete the cat, Pegboard nerds, Tokyo machine, FORZA FAN!! Be High contrast Blue Be rich
Scratchdev57
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

I only have one slight argument against this, although I know i'll get bombarded.

Scratch is nonprofit and runs on donations. How would they create a program to see what part of the GIF is fully with text? I'd share a GIF of me completing an UT Fangame(an attack specifically due to limits), how would that be? When would it pause? It contains multiple jokes, will it pause at the start since I include text for the whole thing? (Also with some unfunny stuff so it counts as a meme because I do that in Homemade Memes)
(yes im an alt)

That's a few unanswered questions, but then again, Scratch runs off energy units which we're giving(/j) donations, so it'd be difficult.

I say support.
Yeah true.
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

Crispydogs101 wrote:

PLEASE give me a TD;LR I have serious trouble reading long passages.

GIFs are an accessibility issue and it would be great if individual users could have a setting to turn them off. Added TL;DR to the header post as well

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump again

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

(#13)
-one at a time, and decide if it is ok for them individually. But I acknowledge that that particular idea would also be super complicated to implement. As the Scratch Team has said before, functionality and accessibility come before aesthetics.
fair.
i shouldve thought of that

Last edited by Zydrolic (July 12, 2023 04:57:09)

Suggestions
Other

bad joke:

thank you ajskateboarder

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

(#13)
fair.
i shouldve thought of that

All good lol, I do agree that GIFs can be fun, useful and informative. It's just that the way they are currently allowed to be used on Scratch isn't super user-friendly for some.

Another reason I think this would be a good feature to implement is because sharing info about browser extensions that can do the same job is not allowed, as outlined in this post. I do understand the Scratch Team's decision there but if anything I think it supports this case as, if we're not allowed to discuss third-party sites because of younger users then the same younger users should have a feature within Scratch to make the site more accessible.