yes
mcsquaggle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Accessibility Option for PFPs and Thumbnails

Ilmax wrote:

Hey guys, today I want to talk about animating tips

1. If you want to make your coding space cleaner than use broadcast blocks

2. If you have a game or something you want to change to the opposite direction instead of flipping every sprite just go the direction under the sprite and set the direction to the way you want it to face or something….

3. If you want a thumbnail to your stuff just add the sprite make the thumbnail and set it to front and ghost effect 100
erm… read the op. erm…>.

uhh ueah
im a furry.
uhh they/them
and i like Exolite and Lunar Halycon Emission :3

(:>::#bb88f6) //jerry says hi

roofogato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I have a sensory disorder where I can find them annoying, but still no support

You should simply scroll by

Also, no support for this reason

Zydrolic wrote:

I only have one slight argument against this, although I know i'll get bombarded.

Scratch is nonprofit and runs on donations. How would they create a program to see what part of the GIF is fully with text? I'd share a GIF of me completing an UT Fangame(an attack specifically due to limits), how would that be? When would it pause? It contains multiple jokes, will it pause at the start since I include text for the whole thing? (Also with some unfunny stuff so it counts as a meme because I do that in Homemade Memes)
(yes im an alt)

That's a few unanswered questions, but then again, Scratch runs off energy units which we're giving(/j) donations, so it'd be difficult.

I say support.

Za-Chary wrote:

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Trigger a person how?
As indicated by the OP:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

However, GIFs also have a lot of accessibility issues. For Scratchers with sensory issues it can be really hard to focus on text while a gif is playing elsewhere on the page. It can be difficult to read animated text in a GIF picture. At their worst, fast and high-contrast GIFs are a seizure risk. Meanwhile, some people just find them annoying and distracting.

Seizure inducing pfps arr already against the rules

any pronouns, a thing | forumer | 14 | somewhat intelligent most likely idiot
bilingual

An0therRand0mC0der wrote:

no objection. decent and somewhat constructive posts. truly one of the forumers of all time
postpercent | 69th post / 100th post / 500th post / 1000th post
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bring up someone elses post

yes
The-Sushi-Cat
Scratcher
500+ posts

roofogato wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

I only have one slight argument against this, although I know i'll get bombarded.

Scratch is nonprofit and runs on donations. How would they create a program to see what part of the GIF is fully with text? I'd share a GIF of me completing an UT Fangame(an attack specifically due to limits), how would that be? When would it pause? It contains multiple jokes, will it pause at the start since I include text for the whole thing? (Also with some unfunny stuff so it counts as a meme because I do that in Homemade Memes)
(yes im an alt)

That's a few unanswered questions, but then again, Scratch runs off energy units which we're giving(/j) donations, so it'd be difficult.

I say support.

Za-Chary wrote:

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Trigger a person how?
As indicated by the OP:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

However, GIFs also have a lot of accessibility issues. For Scratchers with sensory issues it can be really hard to focus on text while a gif is playing elsewhere on the page. It can be difficult to read animated text in a GIF picture. At their worst, fast and high-contrast GIFs are a seizure risk. Meanwhile, some people just find them annoying and distracting.

1: The gifs would just stop on the first frame. That's it. You might want everyone to see your pfp, but thats too bad. Others can still veiw it.

2: If someone finds them annoying and distracting, they should have a option to turn them off. If it's stressing someone out, that's not good. Especially since Scratch is trying to be a safe place. I litterley don't see any downsides to turning of gifs for certain Scratchers

Making a counterargument? Look here first!
An evil kumquat ate my first username lol

Call me Sushi!

They/He/It/She in order of preference

A little part of me dies inside when someone says, “He/She” instead of just using they-

Try to refrain from saying, ‘No support’. It comes off as extremely negative. “The forums are for criticism! Don't post it you don't want it!” Agreed. But I never said that you should agree with everyone. No suggestion will ever be perfect
What sounds more constructive?
“No support, people would spam with it”
“This would lead to a lot of spam, since people can't get away from it. Not to mention, it might upset a few people with the way it's implemented”

In #1, you didn't help OP at all. You said you didn't like it, and why. Nothing else. Not even what was causing the issue of spam
In #2, you pointed out the flaws and the root causes of them. Flaws shouldn't always get a suggestion absolutely ignored

And simply supporting doesn't always help either. It's not a voting system, it's improving your ideas. There's going to be cons, there's going to be flaws, and that's the point of the suggestions. No suggestion is ever 100% perfect in any way
Here are some things you can look out for:
-Are there any flaws/cons that haven't been addressed or fixed?
-Is this idea fully flushed out? Or are there some questions you can ask?
-Are there any flaws that you know how to fix or do you know how to flush something out a bit more?
-Is there anyone else who is confused and needs some clarification?

If you don't have to do any of these, then you can move on!

Is a suggestion unable to be added because it's just impossible? Point out why and have them decide what to do next
But still, try not to say ‘no support’
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

roofogato wrote:

Sometimes it's not possible to scroll past (for example on the followers/following pages). Other times, such as on the forums, user icons are close enough together vertically that scrolling doesn't mean that a GIF is no longer on the page.

roofogato wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

(yes im an alt)

I say support.

A solution was already offered for the questions here - yes, Scratch is nonprofit, but despite this they managed to make the entire site purple to fix an accessibility problem. Why not do the same for GIFs? The ideal way to implement it would be to make the icon display only the first frame, and then play through once if a user hovers over it (that would solve the other issues @Zydrolic pointed out) but a simpler and more cost-effective approach to remove animated icons altogether would work too.

roofogato wrote:

Well, yes, but that's rarely enforced (because the ST can't keep an eye on everyone's pfp, so if there is a problem, another user has to report it) and what about GIFs that are fine on their own but a problem when a lot of them are shown on the same page? Licky cat GIFs are a perfect example of this, see this post. It would be so much easier if there were just a sitewide setting for each user to turn them off.

As @The-Sushi-Cat said:

The-Sushi-Cat wrote:

2: If someone finds them annoying and distracting, they should have a option to turn them off. If it's stressing someone out, that's not good. Especially since Scratch is trying to be a safe place. I litterley don't see any downsides to turning of gifs for certain Scratchers

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
roofogato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The-Sushi-Cat wrote:

roofogato wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

(yes im an alt)

I say support.

Za-Chary wrote:

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

Trigger a person how?
As indicated by the OP:

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

1: The gifs would just stop on the first frame. That's it. You might want everyone to see your pfp, but thats too bad. Others can still veiw it.

Anyone can find anything annoying. If it's really that annoying, you can just not use Scratch in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

any pronouns, a thing | forumer | 14 | somewhat intelligent most likely idiot
bilingual

An0therRand0mC0der wrote:

no objection. decent and somewhat constructive posts. truly one of the forumers of all time
postpercent | 69th post / 100th post / 500th post / 1000th post
Gamer_Logan819
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I know this has been said a bunch of times, but you could just not look at the flashy gifs. It’s not like some neurodivergent people CAN’T not be distracted by these, it’s just harder for them to not be distracted. If it’s that big of a problem, they should practice not looking. I’m not an expert on the matter, but to my knowledge, lots of, if not, most of ADHD-related effects can be slightly, greatly, or even fully alleviated with practice, even though in some cases practice could be hard. Again, I’m not an expert, so tell me if I’m wrong. You could practice by reading articles off of (SAFE) websites with lots of flashy ads and timing yourself on it, and practicing blocking out the flashy ads. Please tell me if I’m wrong

The forum boogeymen are out to get you

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

roofogato wrote:

Anyone can find anything annoying. If it's really that annoying, you can just not use Scratch in the first place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not about it being annoying, it's about it being an accessibility issue.

Scratch is meant to be able to be used by anyone, regardless of ability. As per the community guidelines, "Scratch is a friendly and welcoming community for everyone, where people create, share, and learn together. We welcome people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities. Help keep Scratch a welcoming, supportive, and creative space for all".

If the ST shared the view that users who find some site features annoying/inaccessible just shouldn't use Scratch at all, they wouldn't have made all the recent changes for greater accessibility.

Hi everyone! I'm not very active on the forums, but head to my profile if you'd like to chat.

Add your thoughts to this suggestion if you'd like to see the Scratch website become more accessible!
Gamer_Logan819
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Tris_das_Einhorn wrote:

roofogato wrote:

It's not about it being annoying, it's about it being an accessibility issue.

Scratch is meant to be able to be used by anyone, regardless of ability. As per the community guidelines, "Scratch is a friendly and welcoming community for everyone, where people create, share, and learn together. We welcome people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities. Help keep Scratch a welcoming, supportive, and creative space for all".

If the ST shared the view that users who find some site features annoying/inaccessible just shouldn't use Scratch at all, they wouldn't have made all the recent changes for greater accessibility.
How is it inaccessible again? Inaccessible as in, some users physically cannot use the website because it? Not annoying where “it’s distracting.” Apart from epilepsy (which epilepsy inducing pfps are already against the rules, as said by others)

Last edited by Gamer_Logan819 (Nov. 13, 2023 16:22:10)

The forum boogeymen are out to get you

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Gamer_Logan819 wrote:

(#90)
Apart from epilepsy (which epilepsy inducing pfps are already against the rules, as said by others)
I'd like to yell “OBJECTION!” real quick.
Despite it being already not allowed, still hard to enforce and this could help out accessibility & report queue a tad bit nonetheless, (something that would already earn a reasonable tag if it was brought to github despite the repos {would fit in scratch-gui presumably} being basically dead)

* But nobody came. Only an empty vessel.

Matthew 7;12, Psalm 37:13 & Genesis 3:19

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi - I'm back to this account, I guess - notebook - bo burnham is awesome
- Internetometer

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

* But nobody came.
undeterminstic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

roofogato wrote:

Zydrolic wrote:

(yes im an alt)

I say support.

this is a really easy task to temporarily disable gifs. i bet someone could do a pull request really easily

yes
randomguy3513
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Another idea to solve this could be profile pictures only animate once you hover over them and they pause when you don't hover over them but this could be another option along with disabling them entirely.

(Male) (He/Him) (2000+ posts) (4 Years)
Banner by depresso-boiyo, check him out!
Ctrl+shift+down to check out my projects!

Thanks for scrolling; if you like what I do, please follow me!
Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

Despite it being already not allowed, still hard to enforce and this could help out accessibility & report queue a tad bit nonetheless

Absolutely this, I've seen plenty of examples that would break that rule so it seems it's not enforced unless someone makes a report specifically.

randomguy3513 wrote:

Another idea to solve this could be profile pictures only animate once you hover over them and they pause when you don't hover over them but this could be another option along with disabling them entirely.

I honestly think this is a great idea - thanks! I do wonder though whether it would take too many engineering resources to implement.

undeterminstic wrote:

this is a really easy task to temporarily disable gifs. i bet someone could do a pull request really easily

That was what @cheddargirl suggested in an earlier post. I hope the ST do consider implementing it, as it does seem to be the most simple solution to the problem.

hydrofungus
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How would it know what’s a GIF? I mean, there are GIFs that’s under the WebP file type.

Remember kids, don’t eat batteries dipped in paint thinner and anti-freeze

hey, you can call me kyoo
I am a minor on the internet, who’s also apparently an artist and a coder
April 13th - Non-binary - Aroace - Any pronouns

I know Scratch and HTML, and I’ve been doing art for as long as I can remember.

enjoy this picture of Five from Glitch Techs :’)

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

hydrofungus wrote:

How would it know what’s a GIF? I mean, there are GIFs that’s under the WebP file type.

This was raised previously in this topic - the change should apply to all animated image types. It's pretty straightforward for a program to find any files with the extension .gif or .webp on a page and stop them from automatically animating.

Tris_das_Einhorn
Scratcher
100+ posts

bump

TP2222
Scratcher
100+ posts

when this sprite clicked
forever
if <(scratch)=[purple-ification]> then
say [:):)] for (2) secs
end
end

Last edited by TP2222 (Nov. 20, 2023 07:02:54)

CODE,CATS,NO SCHOOL!!!
when I receive [Cat! v]
play drum (D) for (join [0.] (L) )beats
wait until <(who) = [Me!]>
add [Me!] to [Fun! v]
Generation VII (7): the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your sig in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

BringUpYourPost
Scratcher
500+ posts

TP2222 wrote:

when this sprite clicked
forever
if <(scratch)=[purple-ification]> then
say [:):)] for (2) secs
end
end
I will just assume that was a sort of bump
ThatOneFriend117
Scratcher
16 posts

I say support, not only for the reasons mentioned, but being able to pause gifs might be useful to a scratcher using a low resources device, that can't handle say, a project running, and a thousand giffed PFPs in the comments. Now, idk if gifs take up THAT many resources, but they still take up more than still images, so maybe it could be helpful with edge cases on low end hardware.