Discuss Scratch

Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The Official List of Rejected Suggestions

Hey all - I want to clarify what this topic is to be used for. You are welcome to post here if you have a question about why something was rejected, or you want to ask if something is rejected, or you suspect something might be rejected, or similar things.

This is not the place to try to dispute why something was rejected. By saying something like “This shouldn't be rejected, it would be useful,” it doesn't actually change our minds. Yes, indeed, a lot of these suggestions are useful (you could make the correct claim that “Private messaging would be useful for privately messaging people”) but they are all rejected, so whether or not they would prove to be useful is not really up for debate.

Also, if you're discussing workarounds for a particular rejected suggestion, make sure they actually follow the Community Guidelines. Editing the project.json to hide all scripts in your project is a good way for your project to be removed by the Scratch Team. We want all projects to have all the scripts visible/accessible by everyone; projects which don't do this are reportable and will be removed. I don't endorse Forkphorus or related software, either. Simply put, if you don't want your scripts to be visible by others, then don't share your project on the Scratch website.

And, of course, please snip your posts to avoid unnecessarily long quote-spam. I've removed the recent posts regarding the dispute of a rejected suggestion for the reasons above.

p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p- wrote:

I have something that falls in this category, but doesn't align with the reasoning, so here:
Would restricting sharing for a class count? For example, if I create a school project, but I'm on my school account, and I want to send it to my teacher, but I don't want anybody else to see (It might be something personal, like an apology letter for talking out in class) then I could privately share with my teacher AND ONLY MY TEACHER so that they can see it?
This is an example of a good post for this topic. To answer it: I think it would be somewhat reasonable to have private sharing among classmates/teachers. In a class there is always the concern of a student sharing a project and then another student simply copies their work.

However, my main worry for this is that I gather it's not too difficult to get a Teacher account even if you're not a teacher. Of course, we block Teacher accounts if they're not actually teachers, but by then the damage would already be done — two Scratchers make a Teacher and Student account and use it to privately message each other via projects.

In the case of an apology letter, I would assume an email would suffice.

Last edited by Za-Chary (Nov. 11, 2020 18:42:33)

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

I was a Scratch Team member from May 10th 2019 to October 29th 2021.

my notebook | scratch team essay | accessibility essay
spocite
Scratcher
500+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

-snipped to shorten message-

p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p- wrote:

I have something that falls in this category, but doesn't align with the reasoning, so here:
Would restricting sharing for a class count? For example, if I create a school project, but I'm on my school account, and I want to send it to my teacher, but I don't want anybody else to see (It might be something personal, like an apology letter for talking out in class) then I could privately share with my teacher AND ONLY MY TEACHER so that they can see it?
This is an example of a good post for this topic. To answer it: I think it would be somewhat reasonable to have private sharing among classmates/teachers. In a class there is always the concern of a student sharing a project and then another student simply copies their work.

However, my main worry for this is that I gather it's not too difficult to get a Teacher account even if you're not a teacher. Of course, we block Teacher accounts if they're not actually teachers, but by then the damage would already be done — two Scratchers make a Teacher and Student account and use it to privately message each other via projects.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. That is really helpful. Also, congrats on 8500 forum posts!

if you read this, thanks!
-spocite / posty / alien / the one who is going to take over the world someday (:<

why are all my posts in the suggestions forum

spocite wrote:

the real bruh moment was the friends we made along the way

a normal user can’t read this far, but you can! here's a free cake! tell me you got it on my profile!
Super_Scratch_Bros20
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-

I think it would be worth mentioning this in the OP – maybe briefly, or you could quote the post with something along the lines of:

Click here for a description of what kinds of posts are and aren't allowed.

That could help with confusion in the future. We both know it to be true; the post you just made is going to drown down eventually.

spocite
Scratcher
500+ posts

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

Za-Chary wrote:

-snip-

I think it would be worth mentioning this in the OP – maybe briefly, or you could quote the post with something along the lines of:

Click here for a description of what kinds of posts are and aren't allowed.

That could help with confusion in the future. We both know it to be true; the post you just made is going to drown down eventually.

Yes! That is a great idea. There would need to be a few edits, but it should definitely be added. Support!

-spocite / posty / alien / the one who is going to take over the world someday (:<

spocite wrote:

a normal user can’t read this far, but you can! here's a free cake! tell me you got it on my profile!
pandacorn_owl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/192297/?page=1#post-4593257 Would this be rejected?
60 second rule

Hello I'm a human who used to be active on the forums but sometimes reappears for fun and stuff. I can't be bothered to make a cool signature right now so umm here's a smiley face
spocite
Scratcher
500+ posts

pandacorn_owl wrote:

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/192297/?page=1#post-4593257 Would this be rejected?
60 second rule

Well, it has been rejected already

(also 60 second rule completed)

spocite wrote:

pandacorn_owl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

spocite wrote:

pandacorn_owl wrote:

60 second rule

Yes but the rejected topics suggest an explaining why you are reporting/an other option rather than a specific new option. I was wondering if adding a new specific category would be rejected

Hello I'm a human who used to be active on the forums but sometimes reappears for fun and stuff. I can't be bothered to make a cool signature right now so umm here's a smiley face
-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yes but the rejected topics suggest an explaining why you are reporting/an other option rather than a specific new option. I was wondering if adding a new specific category would be rejected
m, yes. Just select “username”. While that would be easier, it is rejected
edit: 86th post B) (only my frenz would get that qwq)

Last edited by -0Nebula0- (Nov. 11, 2020 21:29:43)

-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

btw is this rejected? Or at least part of it?
:0 new pagie

Last edited by -0Nebula0- (Nov. 11, 2020 21:32:45)

Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-0Nebula0- wrote:

not really

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Steve0Greatness wrote:

-0Nebula0- wrote:

not really
ah ok thx
Steve0Greatness
Scratcher
1000+ posts

@Za-chary*,
have you picked anyone to be the next owner of the “List of Rejected Suggestions”?
Thanks,
@Steve0Greatness

/hj is the worst tone indicator. It's confusing and ambiguous. I hate it. The point of tone indicators is to indicate tone, or the way that a piece of text should be read, but what does “half joking” mean? Do you just wake up in the morning and think “wow, I really have something I want to talk about seriously but also kinda not, IDK you decide.” It's useless. I hate it. It just provokes a deep rooted anger within me whenever I see it. People just comment /hj as if it makes any sense. It doesn't. Oh wow, it's a tone indicator that's has a relative meaning, how useful, I'll use it in every comment I post. NO. STOP IT. You're a tone indicator, you have only one job, and yet you sit there doing nothing apart angering me.

/srs

^^^ (there's more below)
This one is useful because it tells you that this signature is fully 100% serious. (/srs) Who would've thought that tone indicators needed to tell you something about the piece of text they're attached to? /s

I'm serious, I'm not even going to put multiple (/hj)s a the end of my signature as to mock the previous paragraph for not getting the point of something(like previous version of my signature). /srs
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

pandacorn_owl wrote:

60 second rule
Adding a specific “impersonation” option is not rejected. I suspect that adding an “other” reason for reporting a user is rejected like others have claimed, but I have not found definitive proof of this.

-0Nebula0- wrote:

Nope.

Steve0Greatness wrote:

@Za-chary*,
have you picked anyone to be the next owner of the “List of Rejected Suggestions”?
Thanks,
@Steve0Greatness
I have not. I don't have much of a reason to do so, either, because I plan to maintain this sticky until at least April 2021, probably longer.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.

DancingNekoGirl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sportfan999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DancingNekoGirl wrote:

Looks like this has been officially rejected by Paddle2See-
I was about to come and say that.
Will this be added to the list, or will it just fall under “private messaging”?

look who's back!
-0Nebula0-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sportfan999 wrote:

DancingNekoGirl wrote:

Private messaging
sportfan999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-0Nebula0- wrote:

sportfan999 wrote:

DancingNekoGirl wrote:

Private messaging
Thanks for clearing that up I don't usually post on stickies.

look who's back!
IndianRuby718
Scratcher
100+ posts

IndianRuby718 wrote:

So, about suggestion 9.2, notifications when you get quoted. at the end it says “If you want to stay updated on a certain topic, you can always follow the topic and get notified on new posts that are made.” But this isn't the main reason this suggestion should be implemented.

IndianRuby718 wrote:

If for example someone posts “support” on a topic and leaves, then someone else quotes them and says “please say why you support”, the first person is never going to see that, because they aren't following the discussion.
The person being quoted probably has no reason to follow the topic if they came over for a simple “support” and leaves.

IndianRuby718 wrote:

[M]y example above [snip] is a very good reason for adding it that hasn't been mentioned. Also, [if it only counts direct quoting, and] if you only get one message no matter how many times someone quotes you up until you view the message, like for normal forum posts, then it can't be abused any more than the regular forums can, right? All the extra quoting would take up that whitespace, but there's no use from it, so the spammers would just stop…
But you could still be spammed if someone has quoted you each time you look at your messages. So I'm not asking to remove this from the rejected list, because I see the problems. I just want to see the above addressed in the reasons why it was rejected. [I also have two ideas to replace this suggestion, and I will make two topics about them, but I want to see what happens with this post first.]
If you want to know where I posted this, it's on here… but my post there was very long XD
Can someone address this? [Page 136]

Za-Chary wrote:

Hey all - I want to clarify what this topic is to be used for. You are welcome to post here if you have a question about why something was rejected, or you want to ask if something is rejected, or you suspect something might be rejected, or similar things.

This is not the place to try to dispute why something was rejected. By saying something like “This shouldn't be rejected, it would be useful,” it doesn't actually change our minds.
This probably wasn't meant for my post, but no one's addressed my post yet, so:

IndianRuby718 wrote:

I'm not asking to remove this from the rejected list, because I see the problems. I just want to see the above [read full quote above] addressed in the reasons why it was rejected. [I also have two ideas to replace this suggestion, and I will make two topics about them, but I want to see what happens with this post first.]
[edit: posted the first suggestion]

Last edited by IndianRuby718 (Nov. 12, 2020 01:08:55)

So… I didn't update my signature for over a year XP But… I left the forums, and I'm not coming back anytime soon
(and I'm not updating my signature)

Both stickied Suggestions Directories currently have 138 replies.
Only fdreerf can break the equilibrium.

Za-chary wrote:

I get more frustrated with people telling me about “mass reporting” than I do about “mass reporting” itself.
source
good luck digging up the original reply in the comments
ctrl+f exists

https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/post/6961734/

Bug with the color effect I would really like to see fixed

EEEEEEE   DDDDDD    IIIIIIII  TTTTTTTT           NNN    NN     OOOOO
EE DD DD II TT :: NNNN NN OO OO
EEEEEEE DD DD II TT NN NN NN OO OO
EE DD DD II TT :: NN NN NN OO OO
EE DD DD II TT NN NNNN OO OO
EEEEEEE DDDDDD IIIIIIII TT NN NNN OOOOO
Hand-done.

< :: extension>
< :: custom-arg>
< :: motion>

Don't click this link…
Za-Chary
Scratcher
1000+ posts

IndianRuby718 wrote:

So, about suggestion 9.2, notifications when you get quoted. at the end it says “If you want to stay updated on a certain topic, you can always follow the topic and get notified on new posts that are made.” But this isn't the main reason this suggestion should be implemented.
I never claimed that it was. Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to expand upon the possible uses of this suggestion, since it's rejected anyway.

Last edited by Za-Chary (Nov. 11, 2020 22:59:32)

spocite
Scratcher
500+ posts

pandacorn_owl wrote:

spocite wrote:

pandacorn_owl wrote:

60 second rule

Oh, yes, sorry. Looking into this, it was rejected in 2014-2015, so the scratch team might've changed their opinion by now

spocite wrote: