Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

Hahgoot wrote:

-snip-
I'd probably be one of those “I work alone” people lol
I know this is probably a joke but you'd probably be dooming yourself by doing that. Survival requires a whole lot of skills that it's unlikely for one person to have and even if they do it's going to be a lot more difficult for them. How do you plan on repairing damaged clothes, for example? What would you do if you need to make new clothes and every clothes shop's already been raided barren? I bet you can't make your own ones. And that's just one part of survival, you've got a lot more than that to worry about. Plus there's probably going to be a few horrid people taking advantage of anyone they can find that seems weak, and someone wandering around on their own with barely enough survival skills to function is probably an easy target- there's safety in numbers.
Oof I was joking I'm sorry

Hi there, I'm Hahgoot, but you can call me Goots if you like. I like animals, books, poetry, Owl City, raspberries and drawing. My little sister is PrincessFuzzyCat and my other account is RaspberryyTest.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hahgoot wrote:

-snip-
I'm sorry I'm very passionate about stuff like this and I don't mean for it to come off so aggressively

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Hahgoot
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hahgoot wrote:

-snip-
I'm sorry I'm very passionate about stuff like this and I don't mean for it to come off so aggressively
It's okay

Hi there, I'm Hahgoot, but you can call me Goots if you like. I like animals, books, poetry, Owl City, raspberries and drawing. My little sister is PrincessFuzzyCat and my other account is RaspberryyTest.
petme
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

the next book on mud. IMA MONSTER! the pups mum came running up on to the green hill. Rage and sadness glowing in her light blue eyes her pale yellow fur was puffed out she looked like she was going to kill her. sorry flower she cant look at her how can she? Mud killed her only pup! flower looked down at the limped body of bird her pale yellow fur turned to red WHY WOUD YOU DO THIS! screamed birds dad frost his white fur with patches of brown and scars he had a scar on his front leg near his paw that he got from hunting. mud backed away from the angry mob of wolves I…. I don't know what happened. what do you mean? said a brown wolf I don't know what I mean! screamed mud her red eyes glowing with sadness and rage the leader of the pack came up to the pack pushing his way throw the mob. mud why did you killed bird? he sound calm but sill angry and sad. her ears drooping down sorry scar-fur I um cant help myself and bird went in the way. in the in the far away she could see the tall dark thing ( if you remember in muds backstory ) get out of my pack mud! scar screamed but scar where will I go? asked mud all of the mums and the pups were backing away. anywhere mud anywhere but here. growled scar fur his brown fur puffed out yes scar Sind mud but. mud went on just so you know darkness is coming. mud turned into a human and walked away slowly bye bird, scar-fur, flower, frost and everyone else she turned into a bird and flied away feeling really happy. over the trees she can see everything she landed on a small tree its leaves were all ready turning red and yellow some of the trees were losing there leaves. she turned into a human and felled down ow said mud she was alone for once she looked down at her hands gasping wha… what did I just do did I just killed bird she was walking backwards still looking at her hands in horror then bumped into the guy again she turned around and scratched the back of her neck oh hi…um… whats-your-name. its ok said the guy its max by the way not whats-your name by the… way what your name? asked maxed today he was wearing a black shirt and jeans. its um….. she was thing what she could be called its um.. Mia! ok hi Mia how life? he asked its good replied mud/Mia that's good. said max mines good to well I need to go! yelled max as he was walking away mud ran towards max hey can I with you I just moved in lied mud Max was thinking and mud was looking into his blue eyes well she asked can I? she asked yea you can I will walk you into town and show you around.
Hahgoot
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

petme wrote:

the next book on mud. -snip-
Great start! The characters are great and have a lot of personality, and it's very interesting so far. Maybe try using quotation marks (like ‘ ’ and “ ”) so people know when characters are talking ^^

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Tip of the day
A unreliable narrator is not an excuse for inconsistencies in the story. For an unreliable narrator to work you need to show moments to the reader where they can see (or see in hindsight) that the perspective they are given is inaccurate. There also needs to be some kind of real purpose to using an unreliable narrator in your story- the lies or false beliefs they share need to be properly thought out and considered, playing a role within your story.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
--_Nova_--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

this topic does not want to send me new post pings

petme wrote:

the next book on mud. -snoop-
Great! I love the writing style and the characters are very interesting. I would definitely recommend proofreading, however - splitting into paragraphs, adding quotation marks, and adding proper punctuation would definitely help, as it's kind of hard to read.

Tip of the day
An unreliable narrator is not an excuse for inconsistencies in the story. For an unreliable narrator to work, you need to show moments to the reader where they can see (or see in hindsight) that the perspective they are given is inaccurate. There also needs to be some kind of real purpose to using an unreliable narrator in your story- the lies or false beliefs they share need to be properly thought out and considered, playing a role within your story.
I really need to take this into consideration more often, I've written a thousand short stories where an unreliable narrator just takes a decent plot and rips a hundred holes in it. Looking back it's gotten to the point it's kind of sad xD

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

So I'm just going to repost this. Could some give me advice on it?

So I have this shortish story that's sort of meant to sound a bit clique. It's kind of hard to explain, but I like how it sounds. I was wondering if someone would take a quick look at the prologue and first chapter.
The actual story is maybe 13 pages with each chapter starting on another page so not long at all.

Bloody Mary - A Camp Story

Prologue:

It all began at summer camp. I had been to this camp several times throughout many summers, but this summer was different. My friends and I were older and more mature… well, I hoped we were. I couldn't stand getting in trouble again this year. What happened last year? Let's just say raiding the kitchen and having a food fight was not our counselors' idea of a good time.
But this year I was ready for a new start. We had finished 6th grade with a bang and couldn't wait to lead the school in 7th. My friends and I were daring and itching for excitement. As one said later, we wanted something more in our last year at camp, and boy did we get something.

Chapter One:

“Is everyone here? Where is Liese?” Judy, our counselor, asked.
“Here!” Liese said popping her head up above the seat.
“Celeste?” Judy questioned.
“Right here!” Celeste answered appearing next to Liese.
“Sam?”
“Present!” I shouted over the clamor of voices. I was sitting with my best friend, Kate. Across the aisle were my other two good friends, Hallie and Mary. We were all riding the bus to our favorite summer camp, Camp Fire. Although the name was a bit odd, we still loved Camp Fire dearly. Most of us had been going to Camp Fire since we were six, and some like our counselor Judy had arrived last year.
“Samantha, it is so good to see you again! It has been forever!” that was Hallie.
Straight from London, Hallie had perfect manners, and charming British accent, and an incredible character. Every so often, when I'd hang out with Hallie, I'd find myself taking in an accent and using very proper words.
“It has been quite some time!” I replied smiling.
Almost all my friends were here with the exception of those who either didn't ride the bus or were always late. This was our last year, and we all wanted it to be perfect. The only thing none of us were looking forward to though was the long bus ride.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

petme
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hahgoot wrote:

petme wrote:

the next book on mud. -snip-
Great start! The characters are great and have a lot of personality, and it's very interesting so far. Maybe try using quotation marks (like ‘ ’ and “ ”) so people know when characters are talking ^^
ok I will remember that
Okamihowl122
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

So I have this shortish story that's sort of meant to sound a bit clique. It's kind of hard to explain, but I like how it sounds. I was wondering if someone would take a quick look at the prologue and first chapter.
The actual story is maybe 13 pages with each chapter starting on another page so not long at all.

Prologue:

It all began at summer camp. I had been to this camp several times throughout many summers, but this summer was different. My friends and I were older and more mature… well, I hoped we were. I couldn't stand getting in trouble again this year. What happened last year? Let's just say raiding the kitchen and having a food fight was not our counselors' idea of a good time.
But this year I was ready for a new start. We had finished 6th grade with a bang and couldn't wait to lead the school in 7th. My friends and I were daring and itching for excitement. As one said later, we wanted something more in our last year at camp, and boy did we get something.

Chapter One:

“Sam?”
“Present!” I shouted over the clamor of voices. I was sitting with my best friend, Kate. Across the aisle were my other two good friends, Hallie and Mary. We were all riding the bus to our favorite summer camp, Camp Fire. Although the name was a bit odd, we still loved Camp Fire dearly. Most of us had been going to Camp Fire since we were six, and some like our counselor Judy had arrived last year.
“Samantha, it is so good to see you again! It has been forever!” that was Hallie.
Straight from London, Hallie had perfect manners, and charming British accent, and an incredible character. Every so often, when I'd hang out with Hallie, I'd find myself taking in an accent and using very proper words.
Almost all my friends were here with the exception of those who either didn't ride the bus or were always late. This was our last year, and we all wanted it to be perfect. The only thing none of us were looking forward to though was the long bus ride.
It's quite good in my opinion, although I'd suggest removing “though” in that bold sentence and saying “However, the only thing none of us were looking forward to was the long bus ride.”

Follow scratching-pokemon and giretres!
Hey, you awesome people, shop at The Mon Shop. It's where I go when I need ideas, so why don't y'all check it out?
The Fur Nations- An RP (Join here!)
ls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

It's quite good in my opinion, although I'd suggest removing “though” in that bold sentence and saying “However, the only thing none of us were looking forward to was the long bus ride.”

Thanks! I'll change that. I didn't like how the sentence flowed anyway.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Challenge of the day
Create a parody of the last thing you read/watched/listened to.
Remember that a good parody is not just built on insults of any and every flaw, but is more built around using or exaggerating the conventions and dynamics of the original piece to create comedy.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Viiceroy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

yo soooo @nether you ever written anything bcs i'm genuinely interested in seeing if it resembles the way you post

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

yo soooo @nether you ever written anything bcs i'm genuinely interested in seeing if it resembles the way you post
I've written stuff before but most of it ends up being unfinished and deleted not long after. That's one of my main flaws as a writer. Also, by “resembles the way that you post” are you referring to whether I follow all the advice I give or whether I write like I type because the answers for those are “most of the time” and “yes” respectively.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Viiceroy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

I've written stuff before but most of it ends up being unfinished and deleted not long after. That's one of my main flaws as a writer. Also, by “resembles the way that you post” are you referring to whether I follow all the advice I give or whether I write like I type because the answers for those are “most of the time” and “yes” respectively.
both LOOOL
and yeah i mean whether or not it's finished if you're down to share it i'd love to see

Ryasis
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Challenge of the day
Create a parody of the last thing you read/watched/listened to.
Remember that a good parody is not just built on insults of any and every flaw, but is more built around using or exaggerating the conventions and dynamics of the original piece to create comedy.
The last thing I watched was a netflix documentary and the last thing I read as when Devils Knot by Mara Leveritt (WARNING NOT APPROPIATE FOR SCRATCH) either would be fun but hard

Smug scottish ego
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Viiceroy wrote:

Viiceroy wrote:

both LOOOL
and yeah i mean whether or not it's finished if you're down to share it i'd love to see
I'll try to at some point!

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
mistywaves
Scratcher
51 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Prologue:

Chapter One:

“Sam?”
It's good! You've obviously got a good grip on your spelling and grammar and the atmosphere of camp that you're building up seems to be realistic from what I've heard (I've never been to camp). The characters so far seem interesting and the way you mix dialogue with descriptors (I'm not sure how to put it but dialogue with what people are doing during the dialogue) is great! I personally think Hallie's dialogue is slightly odd, as speaking in a posh way and using grammar correctly doesn't equal not using contractions, it just means one's extremely formal I'd suggest changing her line to something more like “Samantha, there you are! It's been forever, hasn't it?” and using more subtle indicators such as clothing, her experiences eg. her talking about having horse riding lessons or how she hates her grammar school teachers etc to show her social class but otherwise, great D

“ι киσω α вαик ωнєяє тнє ωιℓ∂ тнумє вℓσωѕ,
ωнєяє σχℓιρѕ αи∂ тнє иσ∂∂ιиg νισℓєт gяσωѕ,
qυιтє σνєя-¢αиσριє∂ ωιтн ℓυѕ¢ισυѕ ωσσ∂вιиє,
ωιтн ѕωєєт мυѕк-яσѕєѕ αи∂ ωιтн єgℓαитιиє.”
-ωιℓℓιαм ѕнαкєѕρєαяє, α мι∂ѕυммєя иιgнт'ѕ ∂яєαм

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

mistywaves wrote:

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Prologue:

Chapter One:

“Sam?”
It's good! You've obviously got a good grip on your spelling and grammar and the atmosphere of camp that you're building up seems to be realistic from what I've heard (I've never been to camp). The characters so far seem interesting and the way you mix dialogue with descriptors (I'm not sure how to put it but dialogue with what people are doing during the dialogue) is great! I personally think Hallie's dialogue is slightly odd, as speaking in a posh way and using grammar correctly doesn't equal not using contractions, it just means one's extremely formal I'd suggest changing her line to something more like “Samantha, there you are! It's been forever, hasn't it?” and using more subtle indicators such as clothing, her experiences eg. her talking about having horse riding lessons or how she hates her grammar school teachers etc to show her social class but otherwise, great D
Yep, the atmosphere is great! I think Hallie has a very distinct personality, though true, I agree with what mistywaves said about her.
As for the dialogue, I think the taglines are a bit “noisy.” By that I mean they're too descriptive, taking away from the dialogue itself (ex. ‘questioned’ and ‘answered’) but that's a pretty easy-to-fix problem, unless I guess you've fallen into the habit of making taglines fancy.
The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cheese-duck wrote:

mistywaves wrote:

The-Book-Worm wrote:

Prologue:

Chapter One:

“Sam?”
Yep, the atmosphere is great! I think Hallie has a very distinct personality, though true, I agree with what mistywaves said about her.
As for the dialogue, I think the taglines are a bit “noisy.” By that I mean they're too descriptive, taking away from the dialogue itself (ex. ‘questioned’ and ‘answered’) but that's a pretty easy-to-fix problem, unless I guess you've fallen into the habit of making taglines fancy.
Thanks both of you. I know I don't use said a lot. It's one of my problems. I can see how Hallie's wording is a bit odd.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)