Discuss Scratch

Hahgoot
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

TheRealNetherBefore wrote:

On an unrelated note, what do you guys like when it comes to dystopian worlds? I'm a big fan of utopia-looking places that have a dark dystopian reality just under the surface, and morality questioning dystopias where a perfect world is achieved but at the cost of something important (e.g: free will, diversity, earth, etc). There's a lot more “combinations” for dystopian-esque worlds out there- what's the most interesting/unique one you can come up with?
I like those too. The world in The Giver is like that.
My favourite is probably cyberpunk dystopias.

Last edited by Hahgoot (Sept. 23, 2018 11:32:10)

Hi there, I'm Hahgoot, but you can call me Goots if you like. I like animals, books, poetry, Owl City, raspberries and drawing. My little sister is PrincessFuzzyCat and my other account is RaspberryyTest.
petme
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

petme wrote:

-snip-
ok! what mud likes. she likes feeding her pet spider and reading horror books and watching horror movies the old ones are her favs. what she don't like is pink ( not p!nk btw ) and flowers and dead trees and pop songs. she likes punk music and rock an roll too, trees and recaticorns. ( its a you-tube thing ) she's happy when a new song comes out by her fav bands and when she's watering a tree. She's sad when one of friends dies, and when her guy don't like her. She's angary when she don't get the soul she wants and when no one understand her. what she is scared of is cats, birds and bad souls. her physical habits are to claw who ever soul and well really torcher them to and go invisible. her vocal habits is to howl at the moon and whispering threats. if its day time and shes in the sun she well well not be seen. she can fly and turn into a bird too. and yes she well go into a dark gloomy cave.
Nice, you're doing great! To take this further you could think about some specific personality traits that define her and how she acts, or maybe begin outlining the important details of her backstory. Ok! once there was a wolf always getting bullied by the pack because she can turn into a human. one night after a bad day she lied down in tall grass she heard something say they must pay! her ears went up she turned into a human in shock she ran away hoping that what ever it was not following her a boy saw her running he had yellow hair and light blue eyes he was wearing a red t-shirt and jeans. why are running? he asked mud didn't know what to say. um? I like running at night mud told him. Oh ok he said walking away she sat down in the grass and looked up at the starry night her eyes glowing red she back up and looked around no one was there she was alone. That's good she told herself she turned into a wolf and ran away on all 4s. that night she was lying in the grass OW! she sacred she turned into a human again she touched the top of her head there was blood and something hard too. the hard thing got bigger and bigger mud grabbed the horns she shocked her head screaming in pain. arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! she screamed she had knew for along time she will die but why now? why this? her eyes glowed red and she felled over the last thing she saw was a dark tall thing that almost looked a shadow. she opened up her eyes and saw all of the pack. what's wrong asked a small wolf her blue eyes looking at her. Um? I don't know mud got up she could feel like she the power off hell her eyes glowed red and she opened her mouth red flames came out grinning she pounced at the wolf pup with blue eyes. I will kill you. she whispered to her blue eyes grow to size of a basket mud bite her neck she could feel the blood going down her neck her blue eyes turned into a lifeless black. mud looked up blood dripping from her mouth whos next mud hungry. The end

On an unrelated note, what do you guys like when it comes to dystopian worlds? I'm a big fan of utopia-looking places that have a dark dystopian reality just under the surface, and morality questioning dystopias where a perfect world is achieved but at the cost of something important (e.g: free will, diversity, earth, etc). There's a lot more “combinations” for dystopian-esque worlds out there- what's the most interesting/unique one you can come up with?
cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hahgoot wrote:

(I tried to quote Nether but I messed it up lol)
Mmm dystopia. It can be done so well but if you mess it up, ouch.
I guess I like the examples mentioned; I also like wacky weird ones. I like some post-apocalyptic ones for the Appreciate Nature™ and starting-anew kinda feeling, but a lot of them kinda feel grindy and edgy. Not sure if it counts, but I also like what I call “pre-dystopian”– like the story focuses around trying to stop someone who's trying to create a dystopia. (I guess that can also be done badly. But I love how Pokemon does it hehehe)
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cheese-duck wrote:

Hahgoot wrote:

-snip-
I guess I like the examples mentioned; I also like wacky weird ones. I like some post-apocalyptic ones for the Appreciate Nature™ and starting-anew kinda feeling, but a lot of them kinda feel grindy and edgy. Not sure if it counts, but I also like what I call “pre-dystopian”– like the story focuses around trying to stop someone who's trying to create a dystopia. (I guess that can also be done badly. But I love how Pokemon does it hehehe)
Yeah, those are quite interesting, too- especially if the character who will make the dystopia seems believable and even more so if they think their plan will make a utopia instead.
I also think (in line with my “morality questioning dystopias where a perfect world is achieved but at the cost of something important” comment) normal/good worlds with “fatal flaws” can be quite compelling, especially if the protagonist(s) has to realise and interpret these flaws themselves rather than knowing they're bad from the start- they can make for not only a good playground for commentary (unless overdone) but can also make for an interesting speculative exploration of certain concepts and ideas. Basically, I quite like the “trope” of characters learning that the world they thought was good/normal is actually far from it

*Drinks ketchup*
there is no ethical consumption under capitalism my dudes
Small Games | Tips and Advice | Boredom Cat | Misc
Want to make a fantasy world everyone on scratch can use? Click here!
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Okamihowl122
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

cheese-duck wrote:

Hahgoot wrote:

(I tried to quote Nether but I messed it up lol)
I really like “post-really-bad-natural-disaster” worlds, where there's no evil corporations, but the world is covered in ruins and fragments of lives, and the protagonist (along with everyone else) has to fend for him/herself.

Follow scratching-pokemon and giretres!
Hey, you awesome people, shop at The Mon Shop. It's where I go when I need ideas, so why don't y'all check it out?
The Fur Nations- An RP (Join here!)
ls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy

wen day is dark alway rember happy day
mistywaves
Scratcher
51 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

I really like stories in which humans have everything perfect and are dumbed down - not when governments are forcibly controlling the masses like in The Hunger Games or Nineteen Eighty-Four but when we ourselves invented things to make it far too easy for us and are constantly happy, so are mindless fools, like in Brave New World. Any form of morality-questioning dystopias are fun for me too - especially when a rebellion of some sorts doesn't completely succeed and the people realise they can never have anything perfect. I know it's not really a dystopia but Shakespeare's Julius Caesar is something I really love - it is a beautiful commentary on politics, human nature and right and wrong. Macbeth is always a riot as well xD

“ι киσω α вαик ωнєяє тнє ωιℓ∂ тнумє вℓσωѕ,
ωнєяє σχℓιρѕ αи∂ тнє иσ∂∂ιиg νισℓєт gяσωѕ,
qυιтє σνєя-¢αиσριє∂ ωιтн ℓυѕ¢ισυѕ ωσσ∂вιиє,
ωιтн ѕωєєт мυѕк-яσѕєѕ αи∂ ωιтн єgℓαитιиє.”
-ωιℓℓιαм ѕнαкєѕρєαяє, α мι∂ѕυммєя иιgнт'ѕ ∂яєαм

mistywaves
Scratcher
51 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Okamihowl122 wrote:

I really like “post-really-bad-natural-disaster” worlds, where there's no evil corporations, but the world is covered in ruins and fragments of lives, and the protagonist (along with everyone else) has to fend for him/herself.
Those are really fun (in a sense) too XD It's interesting to see how quickly people turn against each other when their lives are on the line.

Okamihowl122
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

mistywaves wrote:

Okamihowl122 wrote:

Those are really fun (in a sense) too XD It's interesting to see how quickly people turn against each other when their lives are on the line.
Yep, exactly. Really speaks to how fragile our idea of being “human” is, eh?

Hey, you awesome people, shop at The Mon Shop. It's where I go when I need ideas, so why don't y'all check it out?

--_Nova_--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Any of you tried WorldAnvil?

cheese-duck
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

--_Nova_-- wrote:

Yes, but alas my vast fictional world has spiraled out to the point that only the Chosen Worldbuilding Note Taking Program can contain its sheer complexity. (It's Google Docs. And no it's actually not that complex, I'm just too lazy to transfer all my cr4p onto WorldAnvil)
Okamihowl122
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

--_Nova_-- wrote:

Yup!

Seam49
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

A tip of the day does not come everyday, Why?

Tea. Chocolate.
--_Nova_--
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Seam49 wrote:

tip of they every other day or so

Hahgoot
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Seam49 wrote:

It's still often though c:

Hi there, I'm Hahgoot, but you can call me Goots if you like. I like animals, books, poetry, Owl City, raspberries and drawing. My little sister is PrincessFuzzyCat and my other account is RaspberryyTest.
mistywaves
Scratcher
51 posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Okamihowl122 wrote:

mistywaves wrote:

Okamihowl122 wrote:

Could not agree more

Last edited by mistywaves (Sept. 24, 2018 12:26:58)

ScratchMarioMan64
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

]

Okamihowl122 wrote:

mistywaves wrote:

Okamihowl122 wrote:

Could not agree more
And then eventual small governments / factions / absolute anarchies.

Last edited by ScratchMarioMan64 (Sept. 24, 2018 11:12:08)

My username says “ScratchMarioMan64” but you can call me Aris.
TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Okamihowl122 wrote:

mistywaves wrote:

Okamihowl122 wrote:

I mean, that's not fully accurate. Whether people fling themselves into anarchy or work together to thrive really depends on the person in question, and those who'd work together tend to be in the majority- we're social creatures after all, our whole existence comes from collaboration. I mean, pretty much everyone's “zombie apocalypse” plan involves some aspect of gathering their friends and helping each-other out. Those who'd become “savage” tend to be more entitled types that don't respect others- fyrefestival (the irl event) is a good example of this- or paranoid “prepper” types who think isolation is the safest option rather than the average Joe.
Of course, it's very likely that humanity would end up in a whole bunch of tiny groups containing like-minded people and it's fully believable that these groups would squabble depending on their beliefs and the availability of resources.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken
Hahgoot
Scratcher
100+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Okamihowl122 wrote:

mistywaves wrote:

Okamihowl122 wrote:

I mean, that's not fully accurate. Whether people fling themselves into anarchy or work together to thrive really depends on the person in question, and those who'd work together tend to be in the majority- we're social creatures after all, our whole existence comes from collaboration. I mean, pretty much everyone's “zombie apocalypse” plan involves some aspect of gathering their friends and helping each-other out. Those who'd become “savage” tend to be more entitled types that don't respect others- fyrefestival (the irl event) is a good example of this- or paranoid “prepper” types who think isolation is the safest option rather than the average Joe.
Of course, it's very likely that humanity would end up in a whole bunch of tiny groups containing like-minded people and it's fully believable that these groups would squabble depending on their beliefs and the availability of resources.
I'd probably be one of those “I work alone” people lol

The-Book-Worm
Scratcher
500+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

So I have this shortish story that's sort of meant to sound a bit clique. It's kind of hard to explain, but I like how it sounds. I was wondering if someone would take a quick look at the prologue and first chapter.
The actual story is maybe 13 pages with each chapter starting on another page so not long at all.

Bloody Mary - A Camp Story

Prologue:

It all began at summer camp. I had been to this camp several times throughout many summers, but this summer was different. My friends and I were older and more mature… well I hoped we were. I couldn't stand getting in trouble again this year. What happened last year? Let's just say raiding the kitchen and having a food fight was not our counselors' idea of a good time.
But this year I was ready for a new start. We had finished 6th grade with a bang and couldn't wait to lead the school in 7th. My friends and I were daring and itching for excitement. As one said later, we wanted something more in our last year at camp, and boy did we get something.

Chapter One:

“Is everyone here? Where is Liese?” Judy, our counselor, asked.
“Here!” Liese said popping her head up above the seat.
“Celeste?” Judy questioned.
“Right here!” Celeste answered appearing next to Liese.
“Sam?”
“Present!” I shouted over the clamor of voices. I was sitting with my best friend, Kate. Across the aisle were my other two good friends, Hallie and Mary. We were all riding the bus to our favorite summer camp, Camp Fire. Although the name was a bit odd, we still loved Camp Fire dearly. Most of us had been going to Camp Fire since we were six, and some like our counselor Judy had arrived last year.
“Samantha, it is so good to see you again! It has been forever!” that was Hallie.
Straight from London, Hallie had perfect manners, and charming British accent, and an incredible character. Every so often, when I'd hang out with Hallie, I'd find myself taking in an accent and using very proper words.
“It has been quite some time!” I replied smiling.
Almost all my friends were here with the exception of those who either didn't ride the bus or were always late. This was our last year, and we all wanted it to be perfect. The only thing none of us were looking forward to though was the long bus ride.

By Bakie (@-ChocoLoco-)

TheRealNetherBefore
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Writing Advice and Tips

Hahgoot wrote:

-snip-
I'd probably be one of those “I work alone” people lol
I know this is probably a joke but you'd probably be dooming yourself by doing that. Survival requires a whole lot of skills that it's unlikely for one person to have and even if they do it's going to be a lot more difficult for them. How do you plan on repairing damaged clothes, for example? What would you do if you need to make new clothes and every clothes shop's already been raided barren? I bet you can't make your own ones. And that's just one part of survival, you've got a lot more than that to worry about. Plus there's probably going to be a few horrid people taking advantage of anyone they can find that seems weak, and someone wandering around on their own with barely enough survival skills to function is probably an easy target- there's safety in numbers.

*Drinks ketchup*
G'thorpax the Unspoken