Discuss Scratch

CrazyNimbus
Scratcher
500+ posts

New ways to get started with Scratch!

Cool updates!

Meow! This post has been approved by nine adorable little cats!
She/Her
Currently in College, so not as active.
Digital Media Major, Computer Science Minor.
-Galaxydust-
Scratcher
100+ posts

I feel sorry for the help tab. Nobody is protesting it's removal.

Why
powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Galaxydust- wrote:

I feel sorry for the help tab. Nobody is protesting it's removal.
To be fair it just got updated and renamed.

Witty signature.

ceebee
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Hi folks. Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. I can see there are a lot of passionate forum users here! I understand that change is difficult, especially when it is a change you disagree with. However, it should be noted that this is not something we've decided to do on a whim. We've thought about this a lot and the decision was made after a lot of discussion and examination of the numbers. We want to make sure that Scratch is easily accessible and welcoming to new users - this helps them become acquainted with Scratch so that they can learn all about the awesome things that you all already know. Placing more emphasis on things like Create, Explore, and Tips help with this. The discussion forums, while absolutely a great resource in the long term, can be a confusing and overwhelming introduction to Scratch when users first arrive. And as many people have already pointed out, the discussion forums are not used by many Scratchers. In fact, only 0.8% of active Scratchers have even looked at the forums in the past month.

The discussion forums aren't disappearing, they are still there, and you can always find them by going to the footer or using the direct link. We plan to examine ways we might better point to the forums in the future - ways that will make more sense so that new users do not feel overwhelmed or lost. Thanks again for all the thoughtful feedback and Scratch On!
Coder_Annika
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WolfCat67 wrote:

I like the inclusion of a tips bar, but I'm not too stoked about the “Discuss” option being removed…
-snip-
Agreed!

Last edited by Coder_Annika (July 6, 2017 00:22:13)

kingof555
Scratcher
100+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

Urgent news!
Evil Kumquats no longer seem to feast on signatures anymore
They now feast on
Discuss buttons.
We need to save them.
Support the Discuss button today.

#bring_it_back
nice signature!

powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ceebee wrote:

Hi folks. Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. I can see there are a lot of passionate forum users here! I understand that change is difficult, especially when it is a change you disagree with. However, it should be noted that this is not something we've decided to do on a whim. We've thought about this a lot and the decision was made after a lot of discussion and examination of the numbers. We want to make sure that Scratch is easily accessible and welcoming to new users - this helps them become acquainted with Scratch so that they can learn all about the awesome things that you all already know. Placing more emphasis on things like Create, Explore, and Tips help with this. The discussion forums, while absolutely a great resource in the long term, can be a confusing and overwhelming introduction to Scratch when users first arrive. And as many people have already pointed out, the discussion forums are not used by many Scratchers. In fact, only 0.8% of active Scratchers have even looked at the forums in the past month.

The discussion forums aren't disappearing, they are still there, and you can always find them by going to the footer or using the direct link. We plan to examine ways we might better point to the forums in the future - ways that will make more sense so that new users do not feel overwhelmed or lost. Thanks again for all the thoughtful feedback and Scratch On!
But how does Discuss stop people from using the rest of the tabs. While the Forums is still a great place for people to get help, if it's confusing to start or less people use it, should it not be made to be welcoming and easier to use. It has lots more potential that if promoted would be great.

Last edited by powercon5 (July 6, 2017 00:24:20)

Witty signature.

asivi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I cannot think of anyone coming Scratch because the forums but they want to learn about programmig, then the forums.
I did bookmarks a long while ago of forums i'm interested for ease and quick access to.
muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

powercon5 wrote:

ceebee wrote:

Hi folks. Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. I can see there are a lot of passionate forum users here! I understand that change is difficult, especially when it is a change you disagree with. However, it should be noted that this is not something we've decided to do on a whim. We've thought about this a lot and the decision was made after a lot of discussion and examination of the numbers. We want to make sure that Scratch is easily accessible and welcoming to new users - this helps them become acquainted with Scratch so that they can learn all about the awesome things that you all already know. Placing more emphasis on things like the Create, Explore, and Tips help with this. The discussion forums, while absolutely a great resource in the long term, can be a confusing and overwhelming introduction to Scratch when users first arrive. And as many people have already pointed out, the discussion forums are not used by many Scratchers. In fact, only 0.8% percent of active Scratchers have even looked at the forums in the past month.

But how does Discuss stop people from using the rest of the tabs. While the Forums is still a great place for people to get help, if it's confusing to start or less people use it, should it not be made to be welcoming and easier to use. It has lots more potential that if promoted would be great.
How are forums confusing in a way that discourages new Scratchers? Maybe not knowing where to post at first however the Scratchers of these forums will kindly tell them where it should go. There is even an entire forum dedicated to welcoming new Scratchers. As for the 0.08% statistic is that taken from all active Scratchers, or all active Scratchers that know that the forums exist? Discussion is a bit confusing to what it really is, forums, and I bet that the % of Scratchers who view the forums will be much higher if you count the active users that know there are forums in the first place. I feel that the ST should try to promote the forums, not hide them. I also bet if there was a poll as a featured project that asked how many scratchers know that there are forums, the number of users who don't know will be much higher than the users who know. I also don't see how the discussion button takes empathsis away from create or explore. The forums are like an extension to tips when you use up all tips can give you. Discussion is like tips but for every question, only with less pictures.

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ceebee wrote:

Then maybe work could be put into making it more welcoming. Let's think of how to do that… Oh, I know!
A welcome screen, explaining the forums and saying “you may feel overwhelmed at the sight of this” at the beginning for relatable purposes. It could give a quick run-down of things, explain stickies, explain ITopics, and all of that. Then, it'd let you go and do what you want. This would only appear on the Discussion Home on a Scratcher's first visit. It will also recommend them to check the New Scratchers forum if they are a New Scratcher.

…Sorry for pretty much making a suggestion right here. I might make a topic about it.

tali1665
Scratcher
100+ posts

CrazyNimbus wrote:

Cool updates!
not the discuss header being removed.

when green flag clicked
100 posts!
forever
change [excitement v] by (1)
end
60 posts achieved on July 1st, 2017, 11:52 AM.
100 posts achieved on December 18th, 2017, 9:51 AM.
tali1665 has 1 internet. to give an internet, click here.
Penguin9090_new
Scratcher
500+ posts

ceebee wrote:

But there used to be 5 tabs, Create, Explore, Discuss, Help, and About!
We can fit the discuss tab, and 0.8% are a pretty large amount!

CLICK PLZ: Games Art Particles Animations Others

There could be invisible text but probably not –>am i wasting your time? Don't click this link. Really. Don't. Click. It.
Click here to dislike my posts!
powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

muellly wrote:

powercon5 wrote:

ceebee wrote:

Hi folks. Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback. I can see there are a lot of passionate forum users here! I understand that change is difficult, especially when it is a change you disagree with. However, it should be noted that this is not something we've decided to do on a whim. We've thought about this a lot and the decision was made after a lot of discussion and examination of the numbers. We want to make sure that Scratch is easily accessible and welcoming to new users - this helps them become acquainted with Scratch so that they can learn all about the awesome things that you all already know. Placing more emphasis on things like the Create, Explore, and Tips help with this. The discussion forums, while absolutely a great resource in the long term, can be a confusing and overwhelming introduction to Scratch when users first arrive. And as many people have already pointed out, the discussion forums are not used by many Scratchers. In fact, only 0.8% percent of active Scratchers have even looked at the forums in the past month.

How are forums confusing in a way that discourages new Scratchers? Maybe not knowing where to post at first however the Scratchers of these forums will kindly tell them where it should go. There is even an entire forum dedicated to welcoming new Scratchers. As for the 0.08% statistic is that taken from all active Scratchers, or all active Scratchers that know that the forums exist? Discussion is a bit confusing to what it really is, forums, and I bet that the % of Scratchers who view the forums will be much higher if you count the active users that know there are forums in the first place. I feel that the ST should try to promote the forums, not hide them. I also bet if there was a poll as a featured project that asked how many scratchers know that there are forums, the number of users who don't know will be much higher than the users who know. I also don't see how the discussion button takes empathsis away from create or explore. The forums are like an extension to tips when you use up all tips can give you. Discussion is like tips but for every question, only with less pictures.
If they was confusing, all it would take is something the explains them the first time you visit the forums and shows you each section and how to post. It would be easy to add. Also that small percent is still quite a few people.

Last edited by powercon5 (July 6, 2017 00:54:38)

Witty signature.

ceebee
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Penguin9090_new wrote:

Please read the FAQ section on the original post. Thanks!
powercon5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ceebee wrote:

Penguin9090_new wrote:

Please read the FAQ section on the original post. Thanks!
So all this time the length of the bar has been too long?

Witty signature.

myloganator1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yeah. i don't see the point of removing the discuss bar.

The SuperSonic Scratch Forum Helper!
Oh, and there is no such thing as Evil Kumquats. Sorry Kumquats.
Kumquats: AAAAAH!
Me: What? It's fictional!
bunnyboots
Scratcher
9 posts

Hey Scratch Team! I just started to use this and now its bit harder it get to. Please put it back on the Scratch page.

Sorry to bother you.
-bunnyboots

Last edited by bunnyboots (July 6, 2017 01:21:30)

muellly
Scratcher
1000+ posts

bunnyboots wrote:

Hey Scratch Team! I would like to know what discuss is and why people are sad about it moving to a new place…? Please tell me. Wait this is discuss. What is this for?
Discuss is the Scratch Forums, a place for asking questions about Scratch and Scripts, getting ideas for projects, sharing projects, talking about things people like to play and read. In fact this is a thread in discussions. You can get to the rest of it by clicking on Discussion Forums.

People are upset because the ST removed it, making it harder for Scratchers who don't know that Scratch has forums to find the forums. In fact you just found the forums after a month and a week on Scratch.

I would greatly appreciate if you were to check of this game I spent months that includes plot and bosses here https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/97452006/ ………………………………………Want a detailed review or idea?

I'm a major fan of Pokemon, Undertale and the Pija and Toast series.
I am doing a shiny scramble of pokemon Pearl. I'm 7 chapters in and on my way to the 2nd gym.
Scratcher1002
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm confused though, in the editor there's a link to the tips page, but on the side there's a tips window with basically everything on the tips page…?

Why is there a window, and a link to a page when both basically serve the same purpose, except one takes you out of the editor?
bunnyboots
Scratcher
9 posts

muellly wrote:

bunnyboots wrote:

Hey Scratch Team! I would like to know what discuss is and why people are sad about it moving to a new place…? Please tell me. Wait this is discuss. What is this for?
Discuss is the Scratch Forums, a place for asking questions about Scratch and Scripts, getting ideas for projects, sharing projects, talking about things people like to play and read. In fact this is a thread in discussions. You can get to the rest of it by clicking on Discussion Forums.

People are upset because the ST removed it, making it harder for Scratchers who don't know that Scratch has forums to find the forums. In fact you just found the forums after a month and a week on Scratch.

Yeah, I get that now I was looking at it and its super cool! I wish it was easier to get to now.