Discuss Scratch

makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The United Shops of Scratch - Topic 1 (2016-2018)

Question Set 1:

How would you act in a time of crisis at the USS?

How do you view Austinato's Power?

How would you handle judicial sovernity?

What does the acronym USS stand for?

Why are you the most qualified candidate to serve?
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How would you act in a time of crisis at the USS?
A time of crisis meaning what? Considering that this is a website-based organisation there's not much that can go wrong, other than inactivity, a lack of members, etc. However, if the USS ever were to fall inactive, I would impose a strict regime of once a month activity checks. If a shop were to miss three consecutive role calls, they would be dropped out of the USS, and an EAS would take their place. If a member of the Executive or Judicial dept. were to miss three checks in a row, they would also be dropped. If the one fired was the Chief Justice, President etc. then the next person in line would take their place (e.g. Justice 1, Vice President). Other than that, there's not really much you can do.

Hm, this is a hard one. Well before the recent revamping of the USS, I thought he was somewhat overpowered, as he was able to propose laws, instantly reject propositions, instantly pass propositions, and so on. However, due to the recent changes, Austin isn't much more than a glorified President, albeit he can shut down the operation at any time without warning.

How would you handle judicial sovereignty?
This meaning the judiciary being able to operate entirely on its own? As long as we had a steady supply of Justices I would welcome this with open arms! However, I would prefer the Justice dept. only make rulings when asked to do so in the form of a lawsuit.

The United Shops of Scratch.

Why are you the most qualified candidate to serve?
I hold the belief that I am the most qualified candidate in this election because I have experience, as I (co-)own both mine and ZL's shop, manage 5 Star shop, and I am also patrol leader for the oldest patrol in my scout troop. As a result of these things, I have become something of a ‘people person,’ so I know how to treat and interact with my clientele. I also have the more experienced ticket, as all three members (JR, Doc and I) own shops of our own. If you want a complete list of my experience here you go:
Founder of Gentle Rain Coding Studio
Co-Owner of ZL's Smol Shoppe
Manager of 5 Star Scratch Shop
Watcher #1 for the United Shops of Scratch
Head Coder of Sigton's Shop
Contributor to three Stickies written by the Services Planning Department

Those who strive above all else to be rich in worldly goods are often trying to hide their spiritual poverty.
-Anonymous
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither.
-Benjamin Franklin
There is no greater love than that, that a man should lay down his life for his friend. Think, Daniel, can you repay such love with hate?
-The Bronze Bow, by Elizabeth George Speare
All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.
-March Albom
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

To @-Anvard-: Why did you abandon the services planning department?
…it didn't interest me anymore. it was going in a completely different direction than it originally was, and I really didn't have that much time for it.

Those who strive above all else to be rich in worldly goods are often trying to hide their spiritual poverty.
-Anonymous
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither.
-Benjamin Franklin
There is no greater love than that, that a man should lay down his life for his friend. Think, Daniel, can you repay such love with hate?
-March Albom
TimeLordPlanet
Scratcher
500+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

I have an idea. Maybe I don't have much say, but what if we had lawyers, who would represent those going against the USS and the USS itself?
That sounds cool.
Thank you! If you're president, will you pass it?

I like Scratch 3.0! An immesurable improvment! Banner coming soon!
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

I have an idea. Maybe I don't have much say, but what if we had lawyers, who would represent those going against the USS and the USS itself?
That sounds cool.
Executive actions are meant for things that the USS needs immediately, if you want to get it passed, try writing up an official proposition.

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.
Executive actions are meant for things that the USS needs immediately, if you want to get it passed, try writing up an official proposition.
And executive actions should be able to be taken down by the judges if they are unconstitutional.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

Hm, this is a hard one. Well before the recent revamping of the USS, I thought he was somewhat overpowered, as he was able to propose laws, instantly reject propositions, instantly pass propositions, and so on. However, due to the recent changes, Austin isn't much more than a glorified President, albeit he can shut down the operation at any time without warning.
I can't instantly reject propositions, although I can vote against it as a standard vote (since I'm a representative for a shop and a subsidiary - which is just 2/the former 50+ votes.)

The Head Department may pass automatic laws, but I've only used it for non-controversial uses. If I plan on changing a position in a way that may be deemed unnecessary, I just make it a voting proposition (i.e. the cancelled Constitution reform proposition.)

I would also likely keep the USS running if I decide to leave it, passing it on to another user to manage. I don't plan on doing this anytime soon.

-Anvard- wrote:

The United Shops of Scratch.
H o w _ d i d _ y o u _ k n o w ? ! ?

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.
And executive actions should be able to be taken down by the judges if they are unconstitutional.
Precisely!

If you want an immediate voting process, you can propose it as a proposition, and it will go through a vote for a week. If approved, it's implemented after so!

If you want to hold off, you can ask the President to automatically pass the position as an “automatic law.” Seeing that it's simply a position for the better good of the judicial process, I doubt the President's law would be considered unconstitutional.

7500+ posts (19th)
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.
Someone would have to take it up in a lawsuit first, though?

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
makethebrainhappy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.

Not necessarily.
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.

Not necessarily.
That's how the rules portray it. Of course, any member can call for a lawsuit, so I guess if a Justice started one it would be United Shops of Scratch v. Defense.

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

That's how the rules portray it. Of course, any member can call for a lawsuit, so I guess if a Justice started one it would be United Shops of Scratch v. Defense.
Hmm, thanks for pointing out that.

I meant the name of the offense to be the person who requested the justice to start the lawsuit (i.e. if Scratcher asked JusticeScratcher to start the lawsuit, it's Scratcher v. Defense. If the justice individually wants to seek justice, they can just go with USS Associate Justice JusticeScratcher v. Defense, however shouldn't that require approval by another justice?)

7500+ posts (19th)
TimeLordPlanet
Scratcher
500+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

TimeLordPlanet wrote:

That sounds cool.

Not necessarily.
I can't believe my little question has sparked this huge debate! I'll write up a proposal now, as per @-Anvard-'s advice.

-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

Hmm, thanks for pointing out that.

I meant the name of the offense to be the person who requested the justice to start the lawsuit (i.e. if Scratcher asked JusticeScratcher to start the lawsuit, it's Scratcher v. Defense. If the justice individually wants to seek justice, they can just go with USS Associate Justice JusticeScratcher v. Defense, however shouldn't that require approval by another justice?)
Hmm, I don't see why it would, I mean, JusticeScratcher would be acting on his own, so they'd simply count him out of the Justice dept. for the endurance of the case.

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

makethebrainhappy wrote:

Let's get a case going on this !
We only have one Justice xD

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

-Anvard- wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

*active

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

-Anvard-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

jromagnoli wrote:

-Anvard- wrote:

makethebrainhappy wrote:

*active
And an inactive Justice is no justice at all, Austin basically fired Amatuerscratcher by skipping over her and choosing MTBH.

-Anonymous
-Benjamin Franklin
-March Albom
redglitter
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Please put me on excused absence from July 19th - July 22nd. Sorry!

TimeLordPlanet
Scratcher
500+ posts

Okay, so, I wrote up a proposal for Lawyers in the USS, and I finished! Here it is!