Discuss Scratch

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The United Shops of Scratch - Topic 1 (2016-2018)

USS Leadership Vote

We are at the last stage of my resignation. Now we're deciding who is going to replace me as co-leader of the United Shops of Scratch. A total of four people declared candidacy for this position, with one dropping out:

Running
  • MasterOfTheTiger (Oct. 17-, speech)
  • -XxX-MEOW-XxX- (Oct. 18-, speech) (endorsed by sti_scratch)
  • FollowCherryBlossom (Oct. 18-, edited speech)

Cancelled

Above are the dates of their campaigns and their speeches, and I ask for everyone to read each candidate's speech before voting (it means a lot)! I also ask that every person votes out of their opinion - not to follow someone else's vote to fit in.

With that said, I am pleased to announce the USS Leadership Vote. Preliminary/early voting will last until tonight at midnight, with official voting lasting from tonight at midnight to October 26 at midnight. (All times in EDT.)

Anyone connected to the USS past or present may vote, however we may expand that in special scenarios.

7500+ posts (19th)
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

USS Leadership Vote

MasterOfTheTiger : 3 votes
Votes: MasterOfTheTiger, jromagnoli, GrahamSH

-XxX-MEOW-XxX- : 5 official votes, 1 unofficial
Votes: -XxX-MEOW-XxX-, sti_scratch, FloatingMuffins, BlackWolfee, Austinato
Unofficial votes: GamemakerY

FollowCherryBlossom : 2 vote
Votes: FollowCherryBlossom, adsuri

VOTING CLOSES ON THE MIDNIGHT FOLLOWING OCTOBER 26, 2018 (EDT).

Last edited by Austinato (Oct. 27, 2018 03:02:01)

7500+ posts (19th)
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratcherNetwork

I have plans for a network that will help out with shops on Scratch. I am calling it ScratcherNetwork. It will be based on the now-defunct ScratchNetwork. It will help shops very efficiently, and allow for easy group administration. The main hurdle is getting the Scratch Team to allow it. I have been working on this, but I need more people to help with the petitioning.

Even if ScratcherNetwork never comes around. I am still working with some other people on an automated shop directory, which will solve so many problems. I also will use my skills for other things that will be helpful for the shop community.

Shops and Studios

I believe that we as the USS should so more effort popularizing shops to those who are not within the forums already. Ever since the discuss button was removed from the Scratch header, shops have been declining. I have noticed, while advertising my shops my means of studios, that many people do not even know that Scratch Shops exist. The forums and the rest of Scratch have become different communities, and this needs to be fixed. We need to meet people where they are, and I believe Studios are the best means to do so.

USS Website

A website for the USS would be a very beneficial thing. For example, it would allow pages like The History of The USS, and the Constitution to be easily maintained (with version history), even by many people.

In short, we can take advantage of great technologies (besides the studios idea) to both further the United Shops of Scratch, and the shop community as a whole.

Last edited by MasterOfTheTiger (Oct. 22, 2018 01:36:19)

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop
sig by @myed - get yours here.

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.
MasterOfTheTiger: Worker at GlitterStores, Request Shop, +
MasterOfTheTiger: Devoted to the success of Scratch Shops.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!

monkeytrooper
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I strongly recommend that we don not have a website. Other scratch organizations have had them and it had only ever led to trouble.

Signatures are a strange one really aren't they?
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

monkeytrooper wrote:

I strongly recommend that we don not have a website. Other scratch organizations have had them and it had only ever led to trouble.
How so? I am very interested in your input. If done right, I believe it can be a very useful tool.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger and Coder_Annika's Shop

MasterOfTheTiger: Owner of MasterOfTheTiger's Shop Triple S, Shop Helpers, and SH Orders.

Do you need a good banner, or coding, or something else? Check out MasterOfTheTiger's shop - I do banners, logos, thumbnails, coding, intros and more here!

monkeytrooper
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

monkeytrooper wrote:

How so? I am very interested in your input. If done right, I believe it can be a very useful tool.
Before I can respond could you lay out the benefits. There may have been so etching I've missed.

Signatures are a strange one really aren't they?
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Quote responses

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

ScratcherNetwork

I have plans for a network that will help out with shops on Scratch. I am calling it ScratcherNetwork. It will be based on the now-defunct ScratchNetwork. It will help shops very efficiently, and allow for easy group administration. The main hurdle is getting the Scratch Team to allow it. I have been working on this, but I need more people to help with the petitioning.

Even if ScratcherNetwork never comes around. I am still working with some other people on an automated shop directory, which will solve so many problems. I also will use my skills for other things that will be helpful for the shop community.
As monkeytrooper said above, there are some concerns with adding an external website to the USS system.

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Shops and Studios

I believe that we as the USS should so more effort popularizing shops to those who are not within the forums already. Ever since the discuss button was removed from the Scratch header, shops have been declining. I have noticed, while advertising my shops my means of studios, that many people do not even know that Scratch Shops exist. The forums and the rest of Scratch have become different communities, and this needs to be fixed. We need to meet people where they are, and I believe Studios are the best means to do so.
I support this.

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

USS Website

A website for the USS would be a very beneficial thing. For example, it would allow pages like The History of The USS, and the Constitution to be easily maintained (with version history), even by many people.

In short, we can take advantage of great technologies (besides the studios idea) to both further the United Shops of Scratch, and the shop community as a whole.
I'm just concerned with the Scratch Team's stance on external sites, specifically about the lack of moderation.

Election update
Today is the second day of the election, and currently -XxX-MEOW-XxX- is winning with two votes as opposed to the other candidates' one (each).

I am automatically adding one vote to each candidate, since they should all vote for themselves.

MasterOfTheTiger : 1 vote
Votes: MasterOfTheTiger
-XxX-MEOW-XxX- : 2 votes
Votes: -XxX-MEOW-XxX-, sti_scratch
FollowCherryBlossom : 1 vote
Votes: FollowCherryBlossom

7500+ posts (19th)
GrahamSH
Scratcher
1000+ posts

monkeytrooper wrote:

Yeah, remember what happened with The Shop Directory 7.0

i made a project inspector!! https://project-inspector.pages.dev/
i made this online agenda: https://ejenda.org

i helped make this site: https://umassmakers.cloud/
sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

Quote responses

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

ScratcherNetwork

As monkeytrooper said above, there are some concerns with adding an external website to the USS system.
An automated shop directory is a good idea. Make it a reality. Though some people might not be very comfortable visiting websites because of possible viruses, as Google Safe Browsing sometimes doesn't catch them. (I've had experience with that before.) Though if it's an https site then people won't be that concerned, so just make it a https site. Though ScratcherNetwork is a no-no. User-moderated websites are basically a no-no, for obvious reasons.

Austinato wrote:

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Shops and Studios

I support this.
Great idea.

Austinato wrote:

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

USS Website

I'm just concerned with the Scratch Team's stance on external sites, specifically about the lack of moderation.
You can use a wiki page for that, except if you want to limit editing to certain people. Again though, make it an https site.

Austinato wrote:

Election update
Today is the second day of the election, and currently -XxX-MEOW-XxX- is winning with two votes as opposed to the other candidates' one (each).

I am automatically adding one vote to each candidate, since they should all vote for themselves.

Good job Meow. Knew you'd win.
-XxX-MEOW-XxX-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sti_scratch wrote:

Austinato wrote:

Good job Meow. Knew you'd win.
I haven't won yet.

MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

You can use a wiki page for that, except if you want to limit editing to certain people. Again though, make it an https site.
Yes. That probably would be preferable.

NinjaCraft16
Scratcher
100+ posts

Oof this is cool to watch
don't mind me

sti_scratch
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Can you just use
[quote=sti_scratch]
rather than just
[quote]
so people know I was the one who asked that?
hellounicorns2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Wow, okay! The SPA and USS are getting new owners at the same time… good luck to all the candidates.

inactive :​)
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

sti_scratch wrote:

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Can you just use
[quote=sti_scratch]
rather than just
[quote]
I know that, but I was on mobile and my keyboard doesn't like those characters. Sorry.

hellounicorns2 wrote:

Wow, okay! The SPA and USS are getting new owners at the same time… good luck to all the candidates.
Yes. I do not see too much future in the SPA. If the USS is run correctly, I believe it will last a while longer.

LotusLavender
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

sti_scratch wrote:

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

Can you just use
[quote=sti_scratch]
rather than just
[quote]
I know that, but I was on mobile and my keyboard doesn't like those characters. Sorry.

hellounicorns2 wrote:

Yes. I do not see too much future in the SPA. If the USS is run correctly, I believe it will last a while longer.
That’s a shame! I’d love to know how to improve it if I become owner so please drop me a note on my profile if you get time.

My Profile || Contact me if you need any help or have any questions! || Buzzy Bee Banners ||

FloatingMuffins
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I would like to vote for -XxX-MEOW-XxX

Hi, I'm FloatingMuffins!
You can call me Muffins!
Age 17 | Irish | Traditional Catholic | Conservative

Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

I would like to bring up the existing partnership between the USS and SPA. The partnership promotes fair treatment of each other and support in case of demise.

FloatingMuffins wrote:

I would like to vote for -XxX-MEOW-XxX
Vote counted.

EDIT: Three days left for voting! Tomorrow is the last day to change any existing votes. We currently have five votes, one for MasterOfTheTiger and FollowCherryBlossom, and three for -XxX-MEOW-XxX-.

Last edited by Austinato (Oct. 24, 2018 19:10:48)

7500+ posts (19th)
MasterOfTheTiger
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

MasterOfTheTiger wrote:

I would like to bring up the existing partnership between the USS and SPA. The partnership promotes fair treatment of each other and support in case of demise.

This is something I will work on if I become leader. I want to make the partership with the SPA closer and more supportive. Instead of being separate but loosely bound, I would make them tighter and more useful to one another. I believe we can make it so that the USS and SPA are different in what they provide for shops, and have shops choose an association to join rather than trying to join both (it adds to confusion). I believe a close partnership between the USS and SPA would be beneficial for both the associations, and the shops involved.

The future of the SPA is in the hands of the new owner of it. I will work closely with him or her on new partnership regulations.

BlackWolfee
Scratcher
500+ posts

I would like to vote for -XxX-MEOW-XxX-

13 | INFP-A | Ravenclaw | Introvert | Violist | Pianist | bookworm | writer | straight-A student | artist | nerd | science lover |
This shop is advertised courtesy of the Scratch Shop Support Union. Join today to get your shop featured!