Discuss Scratch

Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Report cloud data glitches here

TeslaDummy wrote:

(#1520)
the scratch team doesnt care
They probably do, but that's for engineering to deal with, and they unfortunately had layoffs, so the engineering team is probably smaller than it used to be. Plus, they can't do much when they have this much to look over:

Last edited by Zydrolic (Sept. 13, 2023 17:12:05)

Matthew 7;12, Psalm 37:13 & Genesis 3:19
(old signature is below)

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi - I'm back to this account, I guess - notebook - bo burnham is awesome
- Internetometer

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

* But nobody came.
RENZOYGRECIA
Scratcher
70 posts

i'm sorry
define 
[/nanospeak]
say []
RENZOYGRECIA
Scratcher
70 posts

nano speaks
TeslaDummy
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zydrolic wrote:

TeslaDummy wrote:

(#1520)
the scratch team doesnt care
They probably do, but that's for engineering to deal with, and they unfortunately had layoffs, so the engineering team is probably smaller than it used to be. Plus, they can't do much when they have this much to look over:
oh ok

★ IF YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE CLOUD STUFF PLEASE HELP OUT HERE★
★★★★★★★Get anything you want at lightning speeds! Click HERE!!★★★★★★★★
Boss_1s
Scratcher
100+ posts

yea

Do <Highlight+shift+down arrow ::sensing> to see the rest of my signature. ::hat :: events

Generation 11: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your signature in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature

Blocks Scratch should have:
substring [letter#1] [letter#2] [string] ::operators //finds the string between a string
pause [this script v] for (1) seconds ::control
(() or ()::operators)
(() and ()::operators) //same as the boolean, but for reporting
<my boolean ::variables> //only stores true or false
show all variables::variables
hide all variable::variables
show all lists::list
hide all lists::list
…and more!

Alt accounts: @Boss_1sALT(for cloud testing and other stuff), @Boss_1sARCHIVE(Archive of older game versions)

Hi, my name is @Boss_1s!
I'm 12 years old, and I joined Scratch to relearn block coding.
Other projects:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/869604293/ - cool MMO platformer
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/792424859/ - This is my first ORIGINAL game.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/914686250/ - NEW! Remixed an RPG from Griffpatch, though it's pretty boring right now…
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/895107188/ - NEW! Safe chat with anyone on Scratch, whitelist is present
Secret Special Advanced Project (SSAdP): COMPLETED!!! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/946720515/

Predominant Languages:
I speak American English and Chinese.
我說美文和中文。

That's all for my signature, folks! cya!
NMario84
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So if they are laying off engineers, is there a reason for that? Can they hire more engineers to help with this mess?
Zydrolic
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NMario84 wrote:

(#1527)
So if they are laying off engineers, is there a reason for that? Can they hire more engineers to help with this mess?
It could be due to salary issues, remember — Scratch is nonprofit, even if funded (or atleast was) by a few big companies (incase someone wants to know where i know this, bottom of this page).

Matthew 7;12, Psalm 37:13 & Genesis 3:19
(old signature is below)

Suggestions
SDS Helper reqs should be upped - Show/hide via context menu - Revise “ask the community” - Browser not supported - Empty comment contrast
Other
a bit of trolling (i asked before putting it here) - tamaNOTchi - I'm back to this account, I guess - notebook - bo burnham is awesome
- Internetometer

stop posting about kumquats, im tired of seeing it, my friend comments saying “oh hey your post was eaten by a kumquat” STOP a kumquat is freaking fruit just eat it utp ojtishglkmkjhgaoeimrlV,5KU9MOIL3K5GP,Ő AHTAHGTARET SOTP positing ABJTOUT IT (parody & sarcasm)

bad joke:

Most of this is now going to become a meme storage.

thank you ajskateboarder

* But nobody came.
Fun_Random_Games
Scratcher
15 posts

The leaderboard in my project won't properly save cloud variable scores. It seems to mostly just be reading them from their state at the last project save. This kinda sucks, because this is my first and only project to have gotten on the front page, with like 45 thousand views. When I first released the project, the cloud variables were working properly, but then a day or two later, they all reset to what they'd been at the last project save. This was before my project even had 500 views, so I don't think it was caused by an influx of traffic.

Here's my project:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/885814151/

Here's a demonstration project someone else made that shows what's going on:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/889812871

My OS is Windows 10
browser is Google Chrome.
Boss_1s
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yep, definitely cloud glitches back again…
This has started since the August Maintenance Period.

Do <Highlight+shift+down arrow ::sensing> to see the rest of my signature. ::hat :: events

Generation 11: the first time you see this copy and paste it on top of your signature in the scratch forums and increase generation by 1. Social experiment.

Support the suggestion HERE by adding this button to your signature

Blocks Scratch should have:
substring [letter#1] [letter#2] [string] ::operators //finds the string between a string
pause [this script v] for (1) seconds ::control
(() or ()::operators)
(() and ()::operators) //same as the boolean, but for reporting
<my boolean ::variables> //only stores true or false
show all variables::variables
hide all variable::variables
show all lists::list
hide all lists::list
…and more!

Alt accounts: @Boss_1sALT(for cloud testing and other stuff), @Boss_1sARCHIVE(Archive of older game versions)

Hi, my name is @Boss_1s!
I'm 12 years old, and I joined Scratch to relearn block coding.
Other projects:
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/869604293/ - cool MMO platformer
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/792424859/ - This is my first ORIGINAL game.
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/914686250/ - NEW! Remixed an RPG from Griffpatch, though it's pretty boring right now…
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/895107188/ - NEW! Safe chat with anyone on Scratch, whitelist is present
Secret Special Advanced Project (SSAdP): COMPLETED!!! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/946720515/

Predominant Languages:
I speak American English and Chinese.
我說美文和中文。

That's all for my signature, folks! cya!
NMario84
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yea, EVERY Scratch cloud data project prior to the August maintenance is NOW BROKE, and Scratch Team won't even give us a solid answer on the situation. It's quite sad.
TeslaDummy
Scratcher
500+ posts

NMario84 wrote:

Yea, EVERY Scratch cloud data project prior to the August maintenance is NOW BROKE, and Scratch Team won't even give us a solid answer on the situation. It's quite sad.
*sigh*

grizz_tbbs
Scratcher
46 posts

Sorry for coming out of the blue but. Are cloud variables like not working right now? Since im testing some variable stuff and they dont seem to be saving
TeslaDummy
Scratcher
500+ posts

grizz_tbbs wrote:

Sorry for coming out of the blue but. Are cloud variables like not working right now? Since im testing some variable stuff and they dont seem to be saving
nope. they arent working for projects that were made before august. which is basically all of them

Idioticldiot
Scratcher
6 posts

colinmacc wrote:

Would just like to share my experience. As we know since the maintenance all the cloud history logs disappeared. That's annoying, but not a major problem.

However I have a number of projects with high score tables that worked perfectly well before, and what people are telling me is that when they get a high score that appears on the table, if they reload the project their score no longer appears.

This has been reported to me on more than one project, and I've verified by looking at the logs that the score was registered in the cloud variables, but it's the reading of the variables that is not working, and the variable retains its value as at the time the project was last saved.

A further hypothesis seems to be any cloud variable changes that happen while the project is running DOES get reported to your project as expected, it's just the initial state of the cloud variable that appears to retain the saved value from the project.

So online games will still work (sort of), it's just the “high-score” variables that don't work. You can literally find any project in Scratch with a cloud high score variable where the high score is jumping all over the place because of this issue.

Anyway, those are my observations on the matter. There IS a problem, and I hope the engineering team will look into it.

signature
NMario84
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I mean….. There “IS” a solution, but it is NOT a solid solution.

It requires ALL cloud data projects (prior from the maintenance update) to be updated to work with the new server, which is not efficient. As you know, projects get abandoned once they are shared, and completed by the project developer.

As to why ALL previous cloud data logs got deleted, well…… I just assume all of that just got thrown in the trash after the new server switch.

^ Pretty much a “long story short” version. ^

Last edited by NMario84 (Sept. 15, 2023 03:24:50)

medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Well I guess rip 10 years of cloud projects lol

NMario84 wrote:

It requires ALL cloud data projects (prior from the maintenance update) to be updated to work with the new server, which is not efficient. As you know, projects get abandoned once they are shared, and completed by the project developer.
Also, especially if they have left Scratch.

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;
kmvirtue88
New to Scratch
8 posts

My browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 117.0.0.0, No Flash version detectedMy browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 117.0.0.0, No Flash version detectedMy browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 117.0.0.0, No Flash version detectedMy browser / operating system: Windows NT 10.0, Chrome 117.0.0.0, N
say []o Flash version detected:|:|:|:|:|:|:|:o:D:D:D:D:D:(:|:/:(:/:o:/:/
show
show
NMario84
Scratcher
1000+ posts

medians wrote:

Yea. Pretty much……. All leaderboards….. All High Scores….. All Speedrun records….. All cloud pixel art paintings…

ALL of it IRRELEVENT Because of decisions with execution of cloud data servers, as well as engineering layoffs.
D-ScratchNinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I stumbled upon a project from one of the people on this forum topic from the What's Happening section, and noticed that they said that renaming the Cloud variable appeared to fix the persistence issue.

Out of curiosity, I decided to test it out on a couple of my projects even though last time I tried creating a new variable it wouldn't refresh, and it actually worked! All I did was save the project after renaming and then it worked like a real Cloud variable. The value stored in the Cloud variable server also surprisingly got pulled into the variable, so we might be able to recover any untouched high scores, even if we can't get the old logs back (although who knows what time will tell).

Although losing the logs was kinda disappointing, it could really be for the better for the longevity of Cloud variables - these issues might be aftereffects of the recent August maintenance and although impacted our current Cloud variables, could lead to a more stable Cloud variable service now and in the future so that this won't happen again, at least not for a little while longer.

D-ScratchNinja • he/him
- The following is my signature, which always shows up below my posts. -

New! Filter through my projects with my website.

Need to fix an issue? Check out this studio for solutions to some common problems!

OS: Windows 11 / Browser: Microsoft Edge / Time zone: PST/PDT
medians
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NMario84 wrote:

medians wrote:

Yea. Pretty much……. All leaderboards….. All High Scores….. All Speedrun records….. All cloud pixel art paintings…

ALL of it IRRELEVENT Because of decisions with execution of cloud data servers, as well as engineering layoffs.
Rip the logs of the NFEd will_wam cloud vote then lol (though everything would’ve been buried anyway most likely)

D-ScratchNinja wrote:

I stumbled upon a project from one of the people on this forum topic from the What's Happening section, and noticed that they said that renaming the Cloud variable appeared to fix the persistence issue.

Out of curiosity, I decided to test it out on a couple of my projects even though last time I tried creating a new variable it wouldn't refresh, and it actually worked! All I did was save the project after renaming and then it worked like a real Cloud variable. The value stored in the Cloud variable server also surprisingly got pulled into the variable, so we might be able to recover any untouched high scores, even if we can't get the old logs back (although who knows what time will tell).
Not really good for people who’ve left though or stopped updating it.

Last edited by medians (Sept. 16, 2023 18:40:30)

Medians bamboozled by 3.0 (version 3.0): https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/979822351/
hi875230163394: You're similar to valve in that you both hate a certain number…
Scratch 0.x, 1.x, 2.x, 3.x and LogoBlocks Archives
Bamboozlement: https://scratch.mit.edu/studios/33739789
Years on internet: 15 (soon 16)
medians: Oh god not this utc - 12 thing again..
Fun_Cupcake_i81: What, were you expecting not to see the utc - 12 thing again? THE UTC - 12 THIGN ALWAYS RETURNS. ALWAYS.
medians: I knew it would happen. I was the one who started it last year.
Fun_Cupcake_i81: Well then if you didn't want it back maybe you need to time travel to last year and fix that

Oh wait if you could time travel I think we all know exactly when you would go-
user1: That picture is from 2.0. Now he’s at my house and is my pet.
user2: But this is medians we're talking about, so “from 2.0” can mean the same thing as “from five seconds ago”.

Detect Scratch version here
My other accounts: @selfexplanatory @modesties @chaircard @fireflyhero @dividendyield @colloids @radians @skeuamorphism @dihectogon @anglebisector @aau- @EditBlockColors @AdamantOrb @MoongeistBeam @festively @Ampharos_ @straightforwardness
i trolled redcat LOL

if you see this
{what method did you use::control hat
answer on profile ::motion
} ::operators
;